Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Prison labor as slavery came up. This is related (increasing fees imposed on the convicted) and worth listening to. http://www.npr.org/2014/05/19/312158516/increasing-court-fees-punish-the-poor.

Get job (hard as a felon) pay excessive courts costs (very hard on minimum wage) else go back to prison (possibly for much longer than you otherwise should have). Do not pass go.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

What point are you even trying to make?

That the Sixth Party System was created and is maintained largely (almost entirely really) by racism, which you're entirely eliding by dismissing the frothing insane demonization of Obama as partisan politics. In the Sixth Party System, partisan politics is racism. Even Clinton did not have opposition this bad: when he offered to give away Democratic positions for peanuts in grand bargains, Republicans got on board. They railed against Clinton, but if he supported something they wanted, they voted for it. How many times has the Tea Party rejected an almost total surrender from Obama out of steadfast refusal to not let him pass a single bill no matter how great a victory it would be for the right's agenda? The Republicans couldn't even get an offer together to end the shutdown crisis because the furious Tea Party core defied any attempt to negotiate with a black man.

Obama had a grand bargain on the table, but the Republican establishment collapsed when it became clear the Tea Party would prefer to burn the country to the ground rather than legitimize Obama's presidency. Obama got the clean debt ceiling bill he wanted because the Tea Party would rather let the black man win than acknowledge him as an equal at the bargaining table.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 16, 2014

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think it's semantic quibbling to point out that all of this poo poo with Obama is standard politics in the US, just flavored and (fueled to some degree) by racial hatred.

And this was when unemployment was lower, and going steadily down.

This doesn't really prove anything, other than that the dropoff apparently took a couple years to happen, rather than immediately like I thought. But it doesn't show the early years of Clinton's presidency, where the numbers had been rising to get to that point. Obviously, it's even worse under Obama, but there's a very clear Democrat-Republican difference. Also from my understanding "Patriot" groups are largely anti-immigration lunatics; the number of "militia" is actually lower than it was during the Clinton years.

And to be clear I think some of the opposition to Obama is driven by racism on the far right, but it's the cherry on the top of the already fervent resistance he'd get just for being a Democrat president.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 16, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sucrose posted:

This doesn't really prove anything, other than that the dropoff apparently took a couple years to happen, rather than immediately like I thought. But it doesn't show the early years of Clinton's presidency, where the numbers had been rising to get to that point. Obviously, it's even worse under Obama, but there's a very clear Democrat-Republican difference. Also from my understanding "Patriot" groups are largely anti-immigration lunatics; the number of "militia" is actually lower than it was during the Clinton years.

And to be clear I think some of the opposition to Obama is driven by racism on the far right, but it's the cherry on the top of the already fervent resistance he'd get just for being a Democrat president.
I think you misunderstand me, I was basically agreeing with you. The thing about unemployment was just me pointing out that there's at least one additional reasons for increased activity on that front now, compared to back then. Basically, the Obama presidency combines unemployment, a Democrat president, and a black president (emblematic of an overall demographic change) all in one package. It's all of them together that fuels the outrage against him, not just the black part. Plus of course the general polarization of American politics, which has seen the Republicans shoot away from the Democrats, even while the Democrats started moving right.

As for the "Patriot movement", I think it's a sort of big tent movement, like American political parties themselves. It's basically radicalized rural conservatives, whether sovereign citizens, tax protesters, states' rights people or Christian apocalypse cults.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

A Buttery Pastry posted:

As for the "Patriot movement", I think it's a sort of big tent movement, like American political parties themselves. It's basically radicalized rural conservatives, whether sovereign citizens, tax protesters, states' rights people or Christian apocalypse cults.

Yea, almost all of those "patriot" groups are utterly nonviolent and noncriminal dumb as they are so I'm not sure what the scary graph is supposed to mean lumping them in with militias. Hell even most "militias" are just 5 redneck guys who really love guns hanging out with eachother and two of them are undercover fbi agents there looking out for trouble. We've had those crazy militia types since the country was formed and they pull some poo poo every now and then but your chance of being harmed by any of those people is the same as ever, vanishingly small. They are completely infiltrated by the fbi and thats a good thing fyi before I get accused of loving militias.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Yea, almost all of those "patriot" groups are utterly nonviolent and noncriminal dumb as they are so I'm not sure what the scary graph is supposed to mean lumping them in with militias. Hell even most "militias" are just 5 redneck guys who really love guns hanging out with eachother and two of them are undercover fbi agents there looking out for trouble. We've had those crazy militia types since the country was formed and they pull some poo poo every now and then but your chance of being harmed by any of those people is the same as ever, vanishingly small. They are completely infiltrated by the fbi and thats a good thing fyi before I get accused of loving militias.
I think the point is that the line between the two is kind of blurry, and that their support waxes and wanes for similar reasons. The latter in particular means it's a good barometer for reactionism in the US.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Yup. It's a good thing that nobody could look at them and think that their rhetoric, even if they have no intention of ever following up, is totally the right thing to do.

Oh wait.

Kind of odd that 2 people that were obviously fans of the Tea Party, what with the Gadsden flag, could also have been raging white supremacists.

How does the saying go? Not all Republicans are racist, but all racists are republican? I think that's it.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 16, 2014

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

There are more slaves today then there were before the civil war. Race has nothing to do with it.

There are more people alive today

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

There are more people alive today

So what? Suffering is suffering. Not that Powercrazy has a good point.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Slaves both today and yesterday ate food and drank water. It has nothing to do with race.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
did you know that more blacks today own a refrigerator than slaves???? also their granite countertops!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Powercrazy posted:

There are more slaves today then there were before the civil war. Race has nothing to do with it.

Adjusted per capita? As a percentage of the population?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

did you know that more blacks today own a refrigerator than slaves???? also their granite countertops!!!

I own one refrigerator, and zero slaves, so I can vouch for this anecdotally.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

do you think white people would take away refrigerators froms slaves?

Makes you tihnk.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Adjusted per capita? As a percentage of the population?
It's hard getting accurate numbers, plus you have to decide what counts as slavery or not, though I kinda doubt it matches up today. The Arab slave trade estimates alone starts off matching the transatlantic one (11 million), going as high as 25 million, and the slaves in the Americas might match the per capita enslaved population of today alone. (Compared to world population obviously, Brazil was like 50% slaves at one point.) The Arab slave trade had a 700 year head start on the transatlantic one though, and the entire system might have worked very differently, so I have no idea how many were ever enslaved at the same time.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
If you haven't completely run off in shame yet, OP, I'd like you to take a look at this article, because you're falling into the biggest trap for white people - when confronted with a conversation about racism that isn't sufficiently cushioned and tip-toey for your taste, you make it all about you, you, you and how dare they talk about a society-wide centuries-old legacy of racism without specifically making exceptions for you? Yes, "not all white people are like that", but if you're so self-centered and clueless that you have to butt into a conversation about racism to yell about how not-racist you personally are, you probably are "like that" even if you don't realize it.

http://flowerhorne.com/2013/12/20/not-all-white-people-and-derailing-conversations/

quote:

‘Not All White People’ and Derailing Conversations

This is an entry from the department of Things That Activists of Color Have Already Explained More Than A Million Times. But I just saw someone shove their foot into the shoe again yesterday, so I guess I can’t hurt anything by trying to explain it too.

It’s practically a Law Of The Internet that when a Person of Color says something about racism, at least one white person will barge into the conversation to assure everyone that ‘not all white people are like that.’ Bonus points if they go on to explain that making negative generalizations about white people is ‘racist’ (spoiler: it’s not).

That’s a tiresome way to behave, and you shouldn’t do it. If the shoe doesn’t fit, don’t wear it.

If what someone is saying about white folks and racism doesn’t apply to you, then it isn’t about you, and there’s no reason to make it about you. If you’re feeling a driving need to make it about you anyway, ask yourself where that’s coming from. If what they’re saying really doesn’t apply to you, then why are you feeling defensive about it?

Maybe you think you’re just standing up against prejudice and generalizations, because you learned during Black History Month back in school that it’s wrong to judge people by their skin color. But the thing is, racism isn’t a two-way street.

As white people, we have the enormous privilege of not having the actions of other white people held against us in any meaningful way. For example, when a white guy attacks a federal building (or a post office, or a school, or a women’s clinic, or a museum, or a theater, or another federal building, or another school), people don’t start treating all white guys like terrorists.

And while there are stereotypes about white people–some of them even negative!–they don’t impact our everyday lives the way stereotypes about people of color impact theirs’. We don’t get paid less or denied jobs over them. We don’t get stopped and frisked over them. Trigger-happy racists don’t gun us down over them.

So when you equate generalizations about white people to generalizations about people of color, you’re not just asserting your privilege to shape the discourse around racism; you’re also demonstrating a staggering lack of empathy. You’re acting as if your implicitly limited understanding of racism is more accurate and ‘true’ than the lived experiences of people who actually face racism every day.

We accept that young children will be self-focused, and will sometimes fail to take other people’s perspectives into account. But interrupting other people’s conversations to insist that they praise you for mastering basic concepts stopped being charming shortly after you learned to tie your own shoes. If you’re still doing it when you’re supposed to be old enough to use a computer without supervision, you are embarrassing yourself.

So please. Do not insist that your effort to treat other people with dignity and respect–which really is the bare minimum of what’s expected from decent human beings–is so remarkable that you need to interrupt other people’s conversations to demand praise.

Everyone already knows that ‘not all white people are like that.’ But if you’re barging into conversations to make them about you, chances are pretty good that you’re exactly like that.

If people don’t react to that with cookies and praise, it’s not because you’re white. It’s because you’re being clueless and rude.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

If you haven't completely run off in shame yet, OP, I'd like you to take a look at this article, because you're falling into the biggest trap for white people - when confronted with a conversation about racism that isn't sufficiently cushioned and tip-toey for your taste, you make it all about you, you, you and how dare they talk about a society-wide centuries-old legacy of racism without specifically making exceptions for you? Yes, "not all white people are like that", but if you're so self-centered and clueless that you have to butt into a conversation about racism to yell about how not-racist you personally are, you probably are "like that" even if you don't realize it.

http://flowerhorne.com/2013/12/20/not-all-white-people-and-derailing-conversations/

Sounds like a lot of "those awful people who don't buy into my world view are ruining our online circle jerk they should be quiet and let the Pure People talk". If she wants to have safe conversations about racism between her white self and her white friends where they define the acceptable boundaries she shouldn't do it on Facebook or wherever.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
We have the problem of too many people and not enough jobs. Now if you ask some people they will say, "just give everyone a check for being alive, we have plenty of productivity!" but a better answer is to take all the "extras" as I call them and put them into a big meat grinder. Now every time your job is automated you have a grace period to retrain and get hired, but if you can't tough poo poo my motherfucking ninja into the grinder you go. Well it gives people a big incentive to work, and the positive side is that we don't have to pay people to sit around. We don't have to keep them perpetually in prison with fees that they can't pay because they're in prison or enslave them, either. If you think food and board is expensive as a university student, you should see what its like to keep hired help on hand. My god those extras can eat. It's just my humble idea and its green friendly too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

I'll take "boring people trying to bring meaning into their worthless life via internet activism" for 200, Alex.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powercrazy posted:

I'll take "boring people trying to bring meaning into their worthless life via internet activism" for 200, Alex.

Writing an article other people may stumble across is better than posting on a dead forum IMO

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

This is bullshit meant to quell discussion and force your mindset onto others. It essentially tells white people that if they don't think they are racist to be quiet because they are one of the good ones and if they have to the desire to speak then they are automatically racist by admission. It's bullshit tumblrspeak.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I thought it was a really good article. It was articulate and written in a kind and patient manner. I don't understand the strength of peoples negative reactions.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

katlington posted:

I thought it was a really good article. It was articulate and written in a kind and patient manner. I don't understand the strength of peoples negative reactions.

I agree and I have written similar (though less eloquent) things myself previously to respond to discussions on Facebook and other places among friends and acquaintances who don't seem to get that racism against white people just isn't comparable to actual racism in any meaningful way.

I work in the field of equality and human rights and I also see this phenomenon whenever there is a discussion concerning rape and sexual violence as well as non-sexual domestic violence. In every single discussion, actual debate gets drowned out by white men saying that "men can be victims too!". Yes, they can, but the overwhelming number of victims are women.

(I just looked up the numbers for reported rapes in my country and between 2 and 3% of cases involve a male victim, with little variation from year to year. I can MAYBE concede the argument that the actual percentage of male victims is higher because there is even more stigma involved in reporting rape for a man than a woman, but I do not think that affects the numbers noticeably since there is massive stigma for women too.)

When a campaign or a discussion only mentions women, it is a fair point that someone says "but some of the victims are men too!". It is not fair that the entire discussion is taken over by people discussing this and only this point (and sometimes claim discrimination).

I just, literally 10 minutes ago, did some research for my work related to a new government program here, where people from different ethnic minorities are educated to work as a form of counselors to help other members of their ethnic minorities navigate within our national healthcare system. There were 3 questions posted on the campaign Facebook page, which was being used to answer questions about the campaign. One of them was from a potentially interested person asking about practicalities. The other two questions were from people saying "How is this not discrimination against white people if only ethnic minorities can get this job?".

TL;DR: The problem arises when people who suffer 5% of the negative effects make 90% of the discussion about them because many campaigns are focused on people who are the victims 95% of the time.

I'm a straight white man and the number one thing I think other straight white men could learn is to shut the gently caress up about our own problems when discussing race/gender/sexual equality.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

natetimm posted:

This is bullshit meant to quell discussion and force your mindset onto others. It essentially tells white people that if they don't think they are racist to be quiet because they are one of the good ones and if they have to the desire to speak then they are automatically racist by admission. It's bullshit tumblrspeak.

white people do have nothing interesting to say about anything, though :confused:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

There is a can of black spray paint out in the garage. We can help you fix your self-hatred for being white.

You'll have to find a set of bolt cutters to fix that gender hang up on your own.

Edit:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

white people do have nothing interesting to say about anything, though :confused:

A post brough to SA by a mid 20 something white guy.

Who also posted this earlier in the thread:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Q: What do you call a dead white person?

A: A good start.

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 18, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
30-something, and I don't hate myself, I hate white people, not white persons.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

The Mash posted:

When a campaign or a discussion only mentions women, it is a fair point that someone says "but some of the victims are men too!".

What the article seems to be referring to are conversations that stray into hateful generalizations about men, white people, or white men, that other participants in the public forum hosting the conversation have a problem with.

From The article

quote:

It’s practically a Law Of The Internet that when a Person of Color says something about racism, at least one white person will barge into the conversation to assure everyone that ‘not all white people are like that.’ Bonus points if they go on to explain that making negative generalizations about white people is ‘racist’ (spoiler: it’s not).

The author conflates people talking about their personal experiences of racism with people hating on white people. One of those is having a conversation about racism and the other is engaging in racism and if the author doesn't want her racist conversations interrupted she shouldn't hold them in public fora.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

There is a can of black spray paint out in the garage. We can help you fix your self-hatred for being white.

Why can't white people have a pride movement? I'm not ashamed to be white :qq:

Pro-tip: when arguing that the REAL racists are the ones helping minorities, it is poor strategy to tip your hand by telling someone that if he loves the negro so much, he should go be one.

Edit: Seriously though, all the guy said was that he wanted to do his job without white people crowding out his clients' questions with ignorant poo poo about "Where's the White Jobs Program" (America. The White Jobs Program is called America), and you're calling him a race traitor. What the hell.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 18, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

natetimm posted:

It's about shutting up when you're, by definition, ignorant.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Edit: Seriously though, all the guy said was that he wanted to do his job without white people crowding out his clients' questions with ignorant poo poo about "Where's the White Jobs Program" (America. The White Jobs Program is called America), and you're calling him a race traitor. What the hell.

I don't think he's American.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

I don't think he's American.

Which poster do you mean?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

VitalSigns posted:

Pro-tip: when arguing that the REAL racists are the ones helping minorities, it is poor strategy to tip your hand by telling someone that if he loves the negro so much, he should go be one.

Pro-tip: people playing the "you are racist" one-upsmanship card on message boards aren't even slightly helping minorities. They are just using minorities as a prop for social positioning and preening.

on the left fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 18, 2014

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Which poster do you mean?

The Mash

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

Pro-tip: people playing the "you are racist" one-upsmanship card on message boards aren't even slightly helping minorities. They are just using minorities as a prop for social positioning and preening.
Whoa whoa that's a heavy word, I never called anyone a racist. Why are you so obsessed with that word? Maybe you're the real one-upper.

Edit: the guy he was calling a race traitor really is helping minorities though. Like, that's his job, did you miss that?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 18, 2014

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Whoa whoa that's a heavy word, I never called anyone a racist. Why are you so obsessed with that word? Maybe you're the real one-upper.

Edit: the guy he was calling a race traitor really is helping minorities though. Like, that's his job, did you miss that?

Nobody called anyone a race traitor.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

Ah right. He just said if he hated his own people so much, he should go be black. Which is totally different.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

My fellow Whites, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will legalize slavery forever. We begin enslaving in five minutes.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

No, but apparently whites who point out racism are "using minorities as a prop for social positioning and preening".

on the left posted:

Also stop posting like George Will.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

VitalSigns posted:

Why can't white people have a pride movement? I'm not ashamed to be white :qq:

VitalSigns posted:

VitalSigns posted:

Ah right. He just said if he hated his own people so much, he should go be black. Which is totally different.

Or I was just being an rear end in a top hat to a pretentious bag of cocks.

wateroverfire posted:

Correct. I didn't call anyone a race traitor. I simply pointed out that someone went off the deep end with their white guilt and peacocking about how unracist of a white person they are and how everyone should be just like them. Also some weird thing about how apparently gender is important in rape and domestic violence. Instead of it simply being rape and domestic violence is bad regardless of the gender of the victim. I'm sure that wasn't the point they wanted to make but it read that way.

I don't argue racism or gender discrimination. They exist. Thats simple fact. But telling one race or one gender that they shouldn't voice their views because of reasons... Is well.. loving stupid. And crying racism or gender bias (MRA in this case which someone will do because they are loving retarded) is just as bad as someone posting "Niggers should know their place, in the cotton fields" or "women belong in the kitchen". Reasonable discussion involves all walks of life on a level platform. Each one having an equal voice and using it in a respectful manner.

Going off the other end of the spectrum doesn't make you enlightened. It makes you an ignorant insufferable fuckstick. And ruins any chance of people beyond your circle jerk group seriously. I posted what I did because it was the response he deserved. Just like earlier when you, VitalSigns, tried to re-imagine my post about feuding political parties into what ever dumbshit angle you were trying to take to paint it into a race issue.

You are going to ignore every loving thing I have posted here VitalSigns, because well, its right. More importantly, it conflicts with your point of view that everyone should post your thoughts word for word.

on the left posted:

This also deserves a metric poo poo ton of love because it is dead on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

katlington posted:

people have problems with the article based on latent resentment on feeling guilty for being white. they either think it is unfair to feel this way or they subconciously agree but feel like they can't say that without being a traitor of some kind. it's also very popular to be against social messaging right now because you can strawman the poo poo out of SJWs or whatever to feel more enlightened or cutting edge

• Locked thread