Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Johnny Storm had a mini or some poo poo back in the 60s of him attending a normal high school and he acted like he had a secret ID. But I think that was eventually retconned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

To an extent; there's absolutely nothing worthwhile about secret identities being kept from loved ones, and any good comic book made in at least the last 15 years knows it.

Seriously, "oh no, I'm late/have failed to do something/must be somewhere else/whatever, how can I possibly explain this?" is... calling it a dry well does an injustice to dry wells. It's beyond tapped out. It is desolate. The ground has been salted and it's also radioactive; nothing will ever grow there again. If you love someone, you trust them, and if you trust that person, just tell them your goddamn secret identity! I never ever ever want to read that story ever again, and lovely writers keep on trying to make me.

This was pretty much the best thing about Man of Steel, Lois knowing right off the bat just feels so right and (I imagine) will make for such a better relationship dynamic at Clark's job when he's got a secret ID ally. It works so much better when loved ones and close friends are in the loop, both in plausibility and in cutting off the beyond-hackneyed plots you mentioned.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

McSpanky posted:

This was pretty much the best thing about Man of Steel, Lois knowing right off the bat just feels so right and (I imagine) will make for such a better relationship dynamic at Clark's job when he's got a secret ID ally. It works so much better when loved ones and close friends are in the loop, both in plausibility and in cutting off the beyond-hackneyed plots you mentioned.
It also helps with the Dr. Watson issue of giving the hero someone to talk to. Having MJ know early on in Ultimate Spider-Man was a pretty smart move for that reason.

It's funny how despite Batman being the hero who is most about secrets, most modern interpretations just take Alfred knowing as a given. He doesn't even question it in Batman Begins. Obviously Alfred is going to know.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 14, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That issue of USM with him telling MJ is one of the best comics ever. Bagley and Bendis both on top form. Her pouncing on him with the "you just hit the jackpot" line is amazing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lana Lang is a major character in Greg Pak's current run on Action Comics, who's known Clark's secret since childhood. They're a neat pair in the book. She actually participates in the adventuring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Lana Lang is a major character in Greg Pak's current run on Action Comics, who's known Clark's secret since childhood. They're a neat pair in the book. She actually participates in the adventuring.

That was a cool dynamic in Superman:TAS as well. Lana would give as good as she got, and rib Clark about thinking he could keep it from her and for them not getting together in high school.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

That issue of USM with him telling MJ is one of the best comics ever. Bagley and Bendis both on top form. Her pouncing on him with the "you just hit the jackpot" line is amazing.

Bendis also did a really good slow-build reveal for May. Her initial reaction of "Get the gently caress out of my house" was great. The deep conversation they had several issues later was also amazing. It also led to the introduction of Ultimate Spot.

JMS, for all his faults, also did a great unmasking with May and Peter, her finding him beaten, bloodied, and in a torn costume after battling Morlun.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Did anyone else notice that the speech Matthew McConaughey gives at the end of true detective is almost totally lifted from the transporter accident issue of Top Ten?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

JMS, for all his faults, also did a great unmasking with May and Peter, her finding him beaten, bloodied, and in a torn costume after battling Morlun.
The reveal that May and Ben had a fight that night and she also felt the guilty was good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Did anyone else notice that the speech Matthew McConaughey gives at the end of true detective is almost totally lifted from the transporter accident issue of Top Ten?

I noticed! I fell in love with the show and thought his final monologue was incredible, but I knew that line was coming, and I knew it was cribbed from Alan Moore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Is Shia LeBoeuf involved with this show?

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012
Hey, can anybody recommend a good comic store in Buffalo NY? I mostly shop for TPBs and hardcovers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Nic Pizzolatto has been pretty open about Moore being one of his influences.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

Has anybody seen the article Chuck Dixon and Paul Rivoche wrote (I'm not very familiar with American newspapers, but I think it was the Wall Street Journal) where they're talking about how the conservatives need to take comics back from the liberals?

Exactly same poo poo from five years ago. I am quite happy that Willinghams and Dixons are not prominent in Big Two comics at the moment, good riddance, no more embarassing crap like DC Universe Decisions.

bad_trotsky
May 23, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Is the idea that you can hang out at a comic book/game shop for hours on end a widespread thing? I mean, I like most of my regulars but these two dudes have been here bothering me about YuGiOh for 6 loving hours. We don't even have open gaming today, they've just been standing at the counter talking about this poo poo since 2pm. (8:20 when I post).

Rhyno does your shop have gaming tables set up? Even if its not a gaming night do you allow people to play? If you do I think its allowed just to hang because well I could bring a copy of Circus Maximus and play for a long time. So you think it is a place you can hang out at? No space like that....naw you can hang awhile but not like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bad_trotsky posted:

Rhyno does your shop have gaming tables set up? Even if its not a gaming night do you allow people to play? If you do I think its allowed just to hang because well I could bring a copy of Circus Maximus and play for a long time. So you think it is a place you can hang out at? No space like that....naw you can hang awhile but not like that.

You're going to be there for how many hours and you can't buy a loving comic? I know he's got a bazillion back issues for a dollar.

bad_trotsky
May 23, 2012
Well yeah, you should spend some money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bad_trotsky posted:

We have a gaming room in the back but since we also store product back there we don't have open gaming, only scheduled events but we do those 4 days a week.

Skwirl posted:

You're going to be there for how many hours and you can't buy a loving comic? I know he's got a bazillion back issues for a dollar.

Seriously, it should be like a strip club with a 4 comic minimum or something.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

Seriously, it should be like a strip club with a 4 comic minimum or something.
I want to go to a strip club with a 4 comic minimum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I want to go to a strip club with a 4 comic minimum.

No lie, a local strip clube hosted a "nerd night" last year. They invited us to have a table in their "dealer section." We declined but I still went and it was terrible and awkward and terrible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

No lie, a local strip clube hosted a "nerd night" last year. They invited us to have a table in their "dealer section." We declined but I still went and it was terrible and awkward and terrible.

Mission accomplished.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Mission accomplished.

If ever there was a time a club needed to break the no cameras rule it was that night.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chip Zdarsky continues to be pretty funny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nothing's gonna top that alt cover for Sex Criminals, though, so why try?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Nothing's gonna top that alt cover for Sex Criminals, though, so why try?

Because you could get that cover signed by "Stan Lee" for just five bucks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vincent posted:

Because you could get that cover signed by "Stan Lee" for just five bucks.

Touché, goon sir.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
So, who thought this was a good idea?

I guess joking like this with your friends is ok, but for a creator to say Wasp because she is rich and emotionally damaged...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sturm posted:

I guess joking like this with your friends is ok, but for a creator to say Wasp because she is rich and emotionally damaged...

It would have been been okay if they had more than one female writer answering the question. Also, who is surprised that Frank Cho is kinda creepy?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sturm posted:

Of course there's a stark difference between the joke ones and the incredibly creepy earnest ones.

And the Gambit one. That one is just kind of accurate.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This may have been posted already but I didn't see it. And I know it's a BleedingCool link and all, but that was what was forwarded to me. Seems that something John Oliver said set off another Old Man Byrne race chat. I really wish Byrne would just not talk about this kind of thing ever again.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/17/john-byrne-the-fantastic-four-and-racebending-in-casting/

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Deadpool posted:

This may have been posted already but I didn't see it. And I know it's a BleedingCool link and all, but that was what was forwarded to me. Seems that something John Oliver said set off another Old Man Byrne race chat. I really wish Byrne would just not talk about this kind of thing ever again.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/17/john-byrne-the-fantastic-four-and-racebending-in-casting/
Money quote:

quote:

Hollywood had noticed that the steady spread of VCRs and home entertainment systems, not to mention cable movie channels, meant more and more affluent White people were staying home to watch movies. More and more movie theaters were becoming the province of the less affluent, which Hollywood read as minorities, especially Black people.
That's some prime Old Guy Racism right there. VCRs, for fucksakes!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I Before E posted:

Of course there's a stark difference between the joke ones and the incredibly creepy earnest ones.

And the Gambit one. That one is just kind of accurate.

Looking at it again the really creepy one is Craig Kyle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Frank Cho is a very creepy man, this is known.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
To steer it away from the icky, whenever Gambit comes up it's pretty funny. People talk about Dick Grayson being there for the gays and the ladies, but Gambit not only appeals to the ladies he INFURIATES a lot of guys. Especially comics writers.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I wonder if Reed and Bendis talked to each other about their replies beforehand, or if they just know each other so well that Reed could just trust BMB to sink the alley-oop.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bendis' huge man crush on Luke Cage is pretty obvious.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CapnAndy posted:

Money quote:
That's some prime Old Guy Racism right there. VCRs, for fucksakes!
There's that and like his examples of how stupid race-changing is are Gone With the Wind and Othello, works in which race plays a central part of the story. So he isn't just arguing that being white is essential to Johnny's character, but implicitly pushing that it's also part of the very foundation of the story of the Fantastic Four.

Oh, and this:

quote:

Sometimes it doesn’t even take race or gender swapping to create such a schism. Consider Storm, as we met her in GIANT-SIZED X-MEN 1:
2014-06-13_060754_Storm.jpg
Mysterious, ancient, unworldly. . . but within a very short time she was born in Harlem and grew up with the first part of Modesty Blaise’s origin. A completely different character (and tied to a specific bit of world history, the Suez crisis, that makes her my age!!).
Storm's "mysterious, ancient, unworldly" goddess of semi-naked Kenyan tribesman origin is so much more authentically black than being born in Harlem. Also it's not relevant at all to this discussion that Storm was going to be Typhoon until they went "hey, we should probably put a girl on the team" and gender-swapped her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was recently told by a poster in this sub forum that my hatred of John Byrne was "loving creepy."

gently caress YOU dude. He's a racist old piece of poo poo and my hatred is not creepy in the slightest. I hate him for being a racist pile of poo poo, it has nothing to do with his work or talent, it's about who he is as a human being. I wish he'd have a stroke and fall into a coma so we'd never have to hear what he has to say again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I hate him for being a racist pile of poo poo, it has nothing to do with his work or talent

Rhyno loves Chapter One confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sturm posted:

I wish that page was populated entirely by Chris Claremont answers.

• Locked thread