Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

I am literally the worst (best) tour guide. I will literally shatter everyone's ideas of how to do the parks if they're detrimentally stupid ones. My wife very nearly got into the line to see Elsa and Anna last week and waited the four hours to get their autograph. Shot that poo poo down realy quick.

Just flip the script and use logic on them.

"or we can spend two hours in this glorious heat with this humidity and hope to make it to cover in time before *points* that rainstorm right there soaks us to the bone. I am sure everyone has a rain poncho right? I mean who doesn't like to throw on a plastic bag in this weather to keep from getting rained on! Everyone has deoderant in their bag so we won't smell like sweaty socks when we take them off and we are drenched in sweat."

Something like that always motivates the crowd I am with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Speaking of rain, working in it at the Magic Kingdom sure is fun.

and by fun I mean the other thing. oh right, the worst.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Speaking of rain, working in it at the Magic Kingdom sure is fun.

and by fun I mean the other thing. oh right, the worst.

and it's summer.. welcome to rainy season in Florida bud!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
You gotta love that golden moment in time like ten minutes after any given summer shower where the sky is clear, the pavement is already completely dry, and the air is steamy enough for a dinosaur movie set.

That's the most insidious thing about rain there. You think it will cool you down and it does, right up until it turns everything into an open-air sauna.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nathilus posted:

You gotta love that golden moment in time like ten minutes after any given summer shower where the sky is clear, the pavement is already completely dry, and the air is steamy enough for a dinosaur movie set.

That's the most insidious thing about rain there. You think it will cool you down and it does, right up until it turns everything into an open-air sauna.

Fun fact: your lawn grows 3x as fast and almost right before your eyes here when it rains back to back days like it has this week. Mercifully the wife gave me the greenlight to hire a lawn service this summer so I don't pass out and die of heat stroke. They last mowed on Sunday, today it was a foot high in places and when we took the dogs out this morning for potty the one was up to her chin.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Not Disney, but my girlfriend and I recently visited Universal through a total vacation package and had a blast. It probably cost more to get the package, but having air, hotel, and park tickets taken care of at once was great. Plus, all of the on site hotels got in to Harry Potter world an hour before the official open time, so we skipped the huge waits for Hogwarts and Ollivander's. Disney employees are definitely more well-trained and the parks have more "magic" about them, but I'm happy we went to Universal. The rides were exciting, the crowd level was just about perfect because not all schools had let out for summer, and it was nice to have both parks and the citywalk in one location. The only thing I wish we had done was been able to get in to the new Diagon Alley expansion to HP World, but the only way we could've done that would have been to camp out all afternoon and hope to be let in for a soft open test run.

It was a great vacation, but now my girlfriend has the Disney itch so we'll be heading back there next time we visit Orlando.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Fun fact: your lawn grows 3x as fast and almost right before your eyes here when it rains back to back days like it has this week. Mercifully the wife gave me the greenlight to hire a lawn service this summer so I don't pass out and die of heat stroke. They last mowed on Sunday, today it was a foot high in places and when we took the dogs out this morning for potty the one was up to her chin.

You use your lawn as a metric for how hot it is a lot. Is it a big lawn? Will Disney attempt to buy it for Frozenland?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

You use your lawn as a metric for how hot it is a lot. Is it a big lawn? Will Disney attempt to buy it for Frozenland?

It's actually not a big lot, but St. Augustine grass grows like mad during the grow season and the more rain, the crazier it gets. During peak season less than a week it is so thick you can barely get the mower over it without having to make a lot of effort.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Oh my god thank you for this thread. Literally printed out the OP and gave it to all 6 family members.

I got to MK today and was told that it's the last day for Star Wars weekend.

I like Star Wars, am I going to kill myself for missing something incredible today? Going to Hollywood studios tomorrow......

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

Oh my god thank you for this thread. Literally printed out the OP and gave it to all 6 family members.

I got to MK today and was told that it's the last day for Star Wars weekend.

I like Star Wars, am I going to kill myself for missing something incredible today? Going to Hollywood studios tomorrow......

This weekend is sort of the wind down. No big name actors unless you love voice actors from animated shows.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Captain Apollo posted:

This warms the cockles of my heart. Especially since me and the old lady are still vacillating about a post-Thansgivibng trip, which would be our first WDW visit in almost 3 years. So I will live vicariously through you. Normally we would've just pulled the freaking trigger weeks ago, but I just started my own business, so our schedule and budget are complete unknowns.

BTW, I need some help from you goons: all of the My Magic+ and Magic Band info in the OP is pretty much stopgap info until I learn all the details. Is it pretty much up and running at 100% now? If so, can I get some details to update the OP?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln posted:

BTW, I need some help from you goons: all of the My Magic+ and Magic Band info in the OP is pretty much stopgap info until I learn all the details. Is it pretty much up and running at 100% now? If so, can I get some details to update the OP?

Magic bands are full up and running, you can buy your own Magic Bands at the park. Even AP holders who have their bands already can buy new bands at the park and replace the bands they received from Disney but it would deactivate the original in the process. Since they are personalized with your name inside the band you lose that touch but no one but you knows it anyways right?

Aside from that, the three FP+ per day still stands and you can book them online or change them from the free app. You can go to any of the FP+ kiosks all over the park and change them in person as well and now you can add additional fast passes beyond the three but only when you go to a live person. Also you will be able to split your fast passes between parks, the initial roll out you could only get your fast passes good for one park only. They are still making enhancements to the systems and testing things at the park and with resort guests as guinea pigs.

The FP+ kiosks seem to be every fifty feet while they educate guests on what they can do. They also beefed up the free Wi-Fi at the parks to allow you to access My Disney Magic app more easily to make the changes to fast pass reservations. Rebooking can be a pain in the rear end sometimes. Case in point here is a situation we had when we went to AK last week. We planned to ride the rapids first thing, then later in the morning at 11:30 we had Expedition Avalanche then the third FP was for the Nemo show at 12:30. We booked all three online a couple of weeks in advance. We get to the part and rapids is out of service so we go on another ride, come back.. still down. When this happens you can go to select rides and they will allow you to use said FP at that ride for the inconvenience. We were 45 minutes till EA so decided to go there and that was a 10 minute wait for the stand by line so we said wth and just jumped into the normal queue. In the line we swapped out the rapids for Dinosaurs using the app, no problem. We could not figure out what time it was for so we went to one of the kiosks after the ride. It turns out the app chose a 3:30 Dinosaurs but never informed us of the time, we thought it was a straight up swap. We fixed that and got an earlier time for Dinosaurs then walked on to the earlier Nemo with one extra FP to play with.. we went back to the kiosk since the app was not showing us times for the alternatives and did it through there so you can see why they have kiosks all over the park while they iron out the bugs. TLDR: FP+ is bleh if you have to make changes on the app, you are always better off going to a kiosk.

Next time we go to the park I can get pics of the scanners at the gates or other things if you would like.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Magic band is epic. It's like 13 dollars per band.

We bought two and had 6 family members, all on our "memory maker"

So every time we took a group photo, we scanned our magicband without having to take that stupid card out.

What about ride photos? Plenty of those,
And sense the magicband is RFID it knows when we were on the ride and associates my magicband with the photos on the account. Pretty epic.

I also hear you can pay for food and kts on the magic band

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Apollo posted:

I also hear you can pay for food and kts on the magic band

Currently only for resort guests..

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like I'm going back to the World for the Villains Unleashed event but this time I'm going to stay at an on-site hotel, would have been a god send for the 24hr event. If I'm already a magic band annual passholder are they going to send me another magic band for the hotel key?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Quixotic1 posted:

Looks like I'm going back to the World for the Villains Unleashed event but this time I'm going to stay at an on-site hotel, would have been a god send for the 24hr event. If I'm already a magic band annual passholder are they going to send me another magic band for the hotel key?

They will but really, your MagicBand just links to your MDX account. As long as you've claimed your resort reservation you can use any MagicBand you have active and linked to you to get into your room.

Hell I can use my Memory Maker card to redeem fastpasses if I want to.

Speaking of which, I picked up one of the Darth Vader MagicBands the other day. So long orange band, you've been replaced.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
I think if you book early enough, they'll send you a band. Otherwise, when you check in, they'll just scan your passholder band and you use that for the room key. Stayed at Caribbean beach resort for the 24 hour event, booked it 2 days in advance. Also, with the fast passes, I was able to schedule 4 using the Disney app on my phone, I just went in to change my previous fast passes and they let me add one. Not sure how that happened. I was at AK and it wasn't really busy, like 4-5/10 crowds.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Recently, Disneyland Paris has come under fire for producing rather lacklustre or counterproductive adverts - including ones whose message was basically "visit today before your children grow up and don't like it anymore".

Today, they released this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTIGw-2MZ8s

My first reaction was :psyduck: but on second viewing... it's actually quite sweet? Maybe? Surprised that there's no mention of Ratatouille though, it's opening in less than a month!

I dunno, how do the US parks usually advertise themselves?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Myself and a friend are flying out from London and meeting up with a couple of friends (who I met at a previous job in Seattle) to hang out at Disney World. We'll also head out to the Universal Parks and probably Cape Canaveral if we get a chance.

I don't really know much about the place but I love theme parks and rides and I really loved Disneyland (CA) last year so I'm pretty sure it's going to be awesome :dance:.

I'm mostly letting one of the Seattleites book stuff because she seems to know what's what. We're apparently staying in the Port Orleans Riverside. Good choice?

The OP was really useful as a quick overview, thanks for putting it together. Are there any good websites where I can read about the parks and hotel and stuff?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 19, 2014

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:
Visited the new Waldorf Astoria at WDW and I was pretty shocked how nice it was. Fanciest hotel I've been to in a while.

Not sure if it's worth the $450 they usually want per night but I think they're running specials right now.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Quixotic1 posted:

Nice, you are pay the $60+ bucks for the passes huh?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

PkerUNO posted:

Recently, Disneyland Paris has come under fire for producing rather lacklustre or counterproductive adverts - including ones whose message was basically "visit today before your children grow up and don't like it anymore".

Today, they released this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTIGw-2MZ8s

My first reaction was :psyduck: but on second viewing... it's actually quite sweet? Maybe? Surprised that there's no mention of Ratatouille though, it's opening in less than a month!

I dunno, how do the US parks usually advertise themselves?

aawww thats fantastic

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Nice, you are pay the $60+ bucks for the passes huh?

Well it was my nephew's birthday money to do as he sees fit, and him choosing me as his first choice to tag along with him does tend to melt the heart a little. So his present from me is the ride, hotel, food and my grumblings of his horrible choices of spots for parades, shows and long lines.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
Is there a resource (besides CraigsList) to meet with people who are going alone? I'm headed there a bit earlier than my family because of scheduling conflicts, and since they're paying for me I want to make the most out of it. I'm hoping there's a kind of "singles" resource online, or generally a good place to meet other in their 20's peoples.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Arm_Fruit posted:

Is there a resource (besides CraigsList) to meet with people who are going alone? I'm headed there a bit earlier than my family because of scheduling conflicts, and since they're paying for me I want to make the most out of it. I'm hoping there's a kind of "singles" resource online, or generally a good place to meet other in their 20's peoples.

DisBoards.com has a section dedicated to singles travel that may have a thread about meeting up with other singles (they used to). Of course DisBoards people are loving crazy, so you may end up getting shanked if you forget the name of a dwarf or something. Also non-stop bitching about FP+.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Happitoo posted:

DisBoards.com has a section dedicated to singles travel that may have a thread about meeting up with other singles (they used to). Of course DisBoards people are loving crazy, so you may end up getting shanked if you forget the name of a dwarf or something. Also non-stop bitching about FP+.

Also they're all fat as hell and insist on screaming and demanding "pooh-sized" rights/rides. Disboards should be sponsored by rascal. And I'm saying that as a fat person.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is there a general-purpose goon-meet thread? I'm sure you could find plenty of people in the Orlando area to hang with. You're still bound to get shanked, of course, but they're less likely to be on scooters.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln posted:

Is there a general-purpose goon-meet thread? I'm sure you could find plenty of people in the Orlando area to hang with. You're still bound to get shanked, of course, but they're less likely to be on scooters.

I would never intentionally kill a random goon I met up with locally. Now ask me that if we are at MK and said goon insists on standing in line a some two minute ride for three hours in the brutal summer heat and we get rained on. Dead, in the swamp somewhere never to be found.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Also they're all fat as hell and insist on screaming and demanding "pooh-sized" rights/rides. Disboards should be sponsored by rascal. And I'm saying that as a fat person.

I got my towering hatred for and disdain of fat people while working at WDW. You get a pass for being a goon, so we're cool; but only like 1 out of 20 fat people you have to deal with there are normal people. There's nothing quite like getting accosted by the Screaming Pale Jelly Slug Men/Women of Kathmandu while you're on the job there and can't defend yourself.

I got 5-year-old-esque screaming temper tantrums pulled on me 4-5 times during my stay there and it was ALWAYS One Of Those People.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nathilus posted:

I got my towering hatred for and disdain of fat people while working at WDW. You get a pass for being a goon, so we're cool; but only like 1 out of 20 fat people you have to deal with there are normal people. There's nothing quite like getting accosted by the Screaming Pale Jelly Slug Men/Women of Kathmandu while you're on the job there and can't defend yourself.

I got 5-year-old-esque screaming temper tantrums pulled on me 4-5 times during my stay there and it was ALWAYS One Of Those People.

That's because either they're too whalish to fit in the ride or their baby didn't get to meet that princess over there or some other stupid thing that they won't care about in a year or that they could fix with better planning. Or who the gently caress knows. I saw a lot of that poo poo at Disneyland last time we were there and I was really thrown by it. Who the hell gets mad at a cast member because you're too fat to fit in a ride? Who screams because Rapunzel needs to go have a smoke break? Calm the hell down.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I am quite large, and Disney has never been an issue for me and I certainly don't take it out on cast members (before I was one, and now that I am one) The only ride that's ever been a tight fit (Well, besides Tea Cups) is Mine Train, and that's because of what they wanted the cars to look like. I can still ride it, and I have, three times.

The only ride I've been told I couldn't ride was Forbidden Journey at Universal, and I get it. the restraint is not very big. The team members there were mortified when they realized I wouldn't fit and would have to escort me off the ride, because they were afraid I'd be mad. Its not their fault I weigh more than I should.

demonR6 posted:

I would never intentionally kill a random goon I met up with locally. Now ask me that if we are at MK and said goon insists on standing in line a some two minute ride for three hours in the brutal summer heat and we get rained on. Dead, in the swamp somewhere never to be found.

If humans actually felt this, the line for Mine Train would never be very long, because they'd all be dead.

Yesterday, there was a point where the sign said 50 minutes so people rushed the line, and is stretched all the way back to Dumbo. NO MORE 50 MIN. WAIT GUYS!

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 19, 2014

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I am quite large, and Disney has never been an issue for me and I certainly don't take it out on cast members (before I was one, and now that I am one) The only ride that's ever been a tight fit (Well, besides Tea Cups) is Mine Train, and that's because of what they wanted the cars to look like. I can still ride it, and I have, three times.

The only ride I've been told I couldn't ride was Forbidden Journey at Universal, and I get it. the restraint is not very big. The team members there were mortified when they realized I wouldn't fit and would have to escort me off the ride, because they were afraid I'd be mad. Its not their fault I weigh more than I should.

If humans actually felt this, the line for Mine Train would never be very long, because they'd all be dead.

Yesterday, there was a point where the sign said 50 minutes so people rushed the line, and is stretched all the way back to Dumbo. NO MORE 50 MIN. WAIT GUYS!

I cannot imagine the misery of standing in this heat during or worse.. after one of our afternoon storms. The last time I was at the park after a moderate shower you could see the steam rising off the pavement and it was loving miserable. It wasn't peak summer either, I would end up going Wayne Brady on someone then.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

I cannot imagine the misery of standing in this heat during or worse.. after one of our afternoon storms. The last time I was at the park after a moderate shower you could see the steam rising off the pavement and it was loving miserable. It wasn't peak summer either, I would end up going Wayne Brady on someone then.

I will say this. The outdoor section of Mine Train's queue has a high power fan placed every 5 feet or so. It's helpful in the heat.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Its also fairly common to see people wearing their ponchos with their hood down after the rain has stopped, complaining how hot it is(Hint you are wearing a trash bag in high humidity). I remember a lady once almost to the point of fainting once while wearing her poncho after a hard and quick downpour, in line outside for Maelstorm. Cast members had to be called out to be a screen while they got her a wheelchair and medical service. I'll give Disney and Universal this, when someone is injured help comes in super quick, must be the panopticon of cameras.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Lincoln posted:

You're still bound to get shanked, of course, but they're less likely to be on scooters.

Ah, but if they're in scooters I can outrun them easily! (You can put me on the list of Fatgoons, FWIW.)

I'm not going to WDW anytime in the foreseeable future, but when/if I do go I may want to do a goonmeet. I'd love to have the Kitchen Sink (again, Fatgoon), but I can't imagine being able to finish it by myself and I would feel better about the expense if others were around to help. Then again, if I am with friends or family I will probably want to spend my time with them instead.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Pththya-lyi posted:

the Kitchen Sink

The what now? Ah, thank you, GIS:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
FYI, that's eight scoops of ice cream, a full can's worth of whipped cream, and a heaping helping of every other sundae topping they have in the restaurant.:btroll:

EDIT: Here is a recipe in case you want to create this monstrosity in your very own home!

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 21, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How are the queues likely to be in the second week of September? Some Googling suggests it'll be quiet.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
September is a glorious time. It is when the cast members return to the parks as all the lines are gone.

I have a picture of Soarin with a 5 minute wait. I love September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Pththya-lyi posted:

FYI, that's eight scoops of ice cream, a full can's worth of whipped cream, and a heaping helping of every other sundae topping they have in the restaurant.:btroll:

EDIT: Here is a recipe in case you want to create this monstrosity in your very own home!

Haha can you imagine that garbage fermenting in your stomach on a nice balmy 105 degree day? Sounds like a recipe for puke, no thanks.