Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Jamais Vu Again posted:

I got accepted! I start in the fall! As long as I can get checked off on washing hoohas in summer skills class...

Exceedingly complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Front to back, not back to front.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Any suggestions on getting into nursing school?

The girlfriend is thinking of becoming a nurse. She has a bs in biology with a year of experience at labcorp doing immunoassay.

We were looking at the Jefferson college of health sciences accelerated pre-licensure track. Are these programs intensely competitive? She will need to take some additional prerequisites, but would she also need to consider being a cna for a time to show some clinical experience?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Donald Kimball posted:

Be in it already.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too

Roki B posted:

Exceedingly complicated.

The instructors certainly are making it so. Even though I have professionally washed poopy vaginas and scrotums for 7 years now.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Donald Kimball posted:

The girlfriend is thinking of becoming a nurse. She has a bs in biology with a year of experience at labcorp doing immunoassay.

We were looking at the Jefferson college of health sciences accelerated pre-licensure track. Are these programs intensely competitive? She will need to take some additional prerequisites, but would she also need to consider being a cna for a time to show some clinical experience?

Generally they're all pretty competitive, but that shouldn't hold anyone back. Being a CNA might be a good way to get direct health care experience and work with some nurses so that she can be sure she wants to do it, but it certainly isn't a prerequisite. It's a tough job though, and kind of nice to have had so that when you make it to RN you realize how good you have it.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Donald Kimball posted:

Apply to more than one school if possible.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Donald Kimball posted:

As someone who had a microbio BS with a couple years of research experience and became a nurse, I would ask why. I did it and while I do get paid more now, I hated my life working as a floor nurse and wished I'd never left the lab. Now that I'm becoming a nurse research coordinator, which I enjoy doing, so I guess it worked out in the end, but it's a big money commitment to consider.

Has she considered a bio MS or PhD where they pay you to earn a degree?

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
Some nursin schools require CNA experience, I almost wish they all did (the exception being that there are nursing fields that don't require the same level of hands on care, like research nursing or psych NP, etc.)

I worked as a CNA and then entered an accelerated BSN program. It may be just because it was accelerated, but there was very little time for CNA skills or building comfort in basic patient interactions. I definitely had an advantage over my non-CNA trained classmates, just feeling comfortable walking into a patient room, touching them, taking vitals, organizing my workload, cleaning up poop, doing pt transfers, calming down upset patients, talking to families. I

I am still finding things that I learned as a CNA that benefit me. I was a CNA in longterm care and now I'm a nurse on a mental health unit. Now I am so thankful for that terribly exhausting resident I took care of as a CNA, because I learned how to deal with Borderline Personality Disorder before I even knew what it was. Beyond valuable. (Be honest, be positive, set boundaries, be consistent, don't take it personal).

But even if you don't work as a CNA, you'll figure it out. I just thought it was a helpful and humbling experience. And I'm so loving glad I'm not a CNA in long-term care anymore. I still have guilt flashbacks.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
Well I just took it. Took me one hour, cut off at 75
and I got the good pop-up. I'm home free, right?!

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

whatshesaid posted:

Well I just took it. Took me one hour, cut off at 75
and I got the good pop-up. I'm home free, right?!

Welcome to the hosed up world of nursing. You are home free!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Sucks to be you

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
Incidentally, it seems the first year of a bsn nursing program is nothing but cna stuff with some rn assessments thrown in. I think they ramp it up this year with our critical care class.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Just finished my first year of a 2 year ADN program. Taking Pharmacology over the summer because it doesn't fit in any other semester, and boy is this class bullshit.

It's all online, tons of reading, but the quizzes are super easy, and open book.

According to folks ahead of us, the class pretty much only exists to pad our grades after the difficult 2nd semester class, and it shows. They say most people leave with an A and no new knowledge of pharm.

I'm also taking Statistics as a pre req to VCUs ADN>BSN transition program, which I hope to start next fall.

Also, as a dude, it was pretty cool the first time I got mistaken for a doctor (why can't we wear scrubs! The lab coat is just asking for this) but after a half dozen times saying "actually, I'm just a student. No, not a med student, a nursing student" I kinda just want them to shut it.

The struggle is real.

Fingolfin
Jan 30, 2006
insert optional text here

Annath posted:

Also, as a dude, it was pretty cool the first time I got mistaken for a doctor (why can't we wear scrubs! The lab coat is just asking for this) but after a half dozen times saying "actually, I'm just a student. No, not a med student, a nursing student" I kinda just want them to shut it.

The struggle is real.

Ha, I'm a first year nursing student and whenever the labs teacher walks into the room she says 'good morning ladies' and I just cough real loud 'and gents'

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Fingolfin posted:

Ha, I'm a first year nursing student and whenever the labs teacher walks into the room she says 'good morning ladies' and I just cough real loud 'and gents'

Don't. Who gives a gently caress. Don't make being a 'male nurse' a thing for you ok thanks.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Our ward is fairly unique at our hospital for having a roughly 50:50 gender split. Our manager is a guy, and we have a couple male charge nurses. I like to get on their nerves by calling them matron.

e: But then we have some reasonably older nurses scattered throughout the hospital, and they'll unironically call me sister, which gets on my nerves just as much.

Asclepius fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 18, 2014

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Donald Kimball posted:

I'd suggest a CNL program if you can manage it. If she has time to manage the prerequisites, then this would be the better option IMHO. She'll graduate with a RN and a Master's in Nursing which is a bonus AND as far as I've been told, CNL programs are actually less competitive because the applicant pool is so much smaller.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Roki B posted:

Don't. Who gives a gently caress. Don't make being a 'male nurse' a thing for you ok thanks.
This. Just shut up and be there.

Asclepius posted:

Our ward is fairly unique at our hospital for having a roughly 50:50 gender split. Our manager is a guy, and we have a couple male charge nurses. I like to get on their nerves by calling them matron.

e: But then we have some reasonably older nurses scattered throughout the hospital, and they'll unironically call me sister, which gets on my nerves just as much.
What 1940s country are you posting from where people call each other sister?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Ravenfood posted:

This. Just shut up and be there.

Probs one of those weird colonies or the ex-imperalists themselves. Saying 'ward' instead of unit gives it away.

Fingolfin
Jan 30, 2006
insert optional text here

Roki B posted:

Yeah sorry I over-dramatized that, it's only happened twice and I haven't been a dick about it or made it an issue at all. And I don't make it a 'thing' at all. Sorry again.

Have you come across guys that do? That would be cringe worthy I imagine.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Australia. Like I said, it's only a small number of the old guard that still float around calling everyone sister.

Agrocrag
Oct 22, 2004

True love at last
I'm trying to finish my science prerequisites for nursing school but I'm afraid some of my previous classes from my undergraduate degree I got in 08 are going to expire before I can get accepting into a program.

What are my chances of getting into a school without having anatomy and a few others? I'm wondering if I could take them concurrently, I have a few counseling appointments to discuss this stuff but they aren't for another week. I'm in California btw and am willing to travel for a school that would accept me. I also have three years clinical experience as an EMT if that helps any.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Fingolfin posted:

Yeah sorry I over-dramatized that, it's only happened twice and I haven't been a dick about it or made it an issue at all. And I don't make it a 'thing' at all. Sorry again.

Have you come across guys that do? That would be cringe worthy I imagine.

Coughing loudly and declaring you have a penis is being a dick about it, and it's an issue and a "thing" because it's super obnoxious. Nobody cares.

I've only worked with one guy who was stupid about being a male nurse. He insisted on being called a "murse" and carried around a male nurse action figure (yeah, it exists). He got fired, not sure why, but everyone was glad.

Someone else mentioned the white coat thing and being mistaken for a med student because they are male, but that happened to me when I was in nursing school as well and I am not a male. I had several patients ask me why I was going to nursing school, I should just be a doctor instead. It's interesting how some people just don't get why someone would rather be a nurse. Anyway, the general public wouldn't think that nursing students would wear white lab coats so it's an easy mistake.

Agrocrag posted:

I'm trying to finish my science prerequisites for nursing school but I'm afraid some of my previous classes from my undergraduate degree I got in 08 are going to expire before I can get accepting into a program.

What are my chances of getting into a school without having anatomy and a few others? I'm wondering if I could take them concurrently, I have a few counseling appointments to discuss this stuff but they aren't for another week. I'm in California btw and am willing to travel for a school that would accept me. I also have three years clinical experience as an EMT if that helps any.

If it's a prerequisite it's something that is required previous. I doubt a school would accept you without having things up to date and completed. Also, six plus years is a long time to remember the stuff you were taught, it would probably be in your best interest to repeat the courses. Plus you don't want to be taking any more courses, especially a cram class like anatomy, while you are taking nursing classes. Nursing school is demanding enough and you wouldn't be achieving your full potential.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 20, 2014

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Agrocrag posted:

The nursing program's website should have what is allowed. I'm in WA State, but all of the schools I've applied to were strict about the biology (AP 1, AP2, and Micro) classes (5 years or less) and lax about my English and communication courses from 2010.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
The hospitals in my area, the doctors' uniforms are ALL white lab coats with button up shirt and slacks/skirt.

ALL the nurses wear scrubs, usually dark red or dark blue.

Also a lot of our students are older folks coming in as a 2nd career or from CNA/LPN. I think there are only 2 people in my class younger than me, and I'm 23.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Koivunen posted:

Coughing loudly and declaring you have a penis is being a dick about it, and it's an issue and a "thing" because it's super obnoxious. Nobody cares.
His instructor chose to address the class in a way that specifically excluded him. It's not a huge deal, but neither would it be a great hardship for the instructor to say "Good evening class" like every other instructor does instead of "Good evening ladies" since we live in a time when people aren't sorted into jobs by gender.

I don't get why Fingolfin is getting all the blame for 'creating the issue.' People generally do issue corrections when their gender is mistaken, and that is all he did. He's not carrying an action figure around or making up strange titles for himself.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Koivunen posted:

I've only worked with one guy who was stupid about being a male nurse. He insisted on being called a "murse" and carried around a male nurse action figure (yeah, it exists). He got fired, not sure why, but everyone was glad.

What an absolute loving tool. I literally cringe when someone points out that I happen to be a male nurse - who really gives a poo poo? That said it's more humiliating being asked if I didn't get into medical school...

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Looke posted:

What an absolute loving tool. I literally cringe when someone points out that I happen to be a male nurse - who really gives a poo poo? That said it's more humiliating being asked if I didn't get into medical school...

Yeah, I'm the only guy on my floor and everybody's always making jokes about it, but it's in good fun so who cares. I still have lots of patients who think I'm a doctor, despite the fact that I introduce myself as a nurse and am wearing the same blue scrubs as the other nurses. I always get asked, "So, are you going to be a doctor?"

My sister did get me one of those stupid action figures when I graduated, which I promptly lost.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
The ICU I work in is just filled with guys. Mostly on night shift too.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Well, Wednesday I'm headed for my interview with Air Methods for a Flight Nurse interview.
Coming in with about 3 years of E.R experience, 6 years EMS, 6 years E.R tech, 6.5 years military, masters in public health, and 7 months as a nurse manager of an inpatient rehab unit.

Right now I'm freaked out about the interview testing portion. I assume it'll be like a difficult version of applying for an EMS position. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to study up on prior to then?

My plan was to make sure I have ACLS completely memorized, RSI sequence, vent management, ABG/lab values and maybe some advanced trauma stuff "blunt trauma and things we'd see from nasty MVA's."

Anyone think I'm missing something in the grand scheme of things as far as the testing phase goes?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
^^Please tell me the NCLEX-RN doesn't include even half of that.....*terrified now*

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MurderBot posted:

Well, Wednesday I'm headed for my interview with Air Methods for a Flight Nurse interview.
Coming in with about 3 years of E.R experience, 6 years EMS, 6 years E.R tech, 6.5 years military, masters in public health, and 7 months as a nurse manager of an inpatient rehab unit.

Right now I'm freaked out about the interview testing portion. I assume it'll be like a difficult version of applying for an EMS position. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to study up on prior to then?

My plan was to make sure I have ACLS completely memorized, RSI sequence, vent management, ABG/lab values and maybe some advanced trauma stuff "blunt trauma and things we'd see from nasty MVA's."

Anyone think I'm missing something in the grand scheme of things as far as the testing phase goes?

How strong is your cardiac knowledge? 12-lead and all that good stuff.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Astrofig posted:

^^Please tell me the NCLEX-RN doesn't include even half of that.....*terrified now*

You will need to know pretty much nothing about what I said I planned on studying. Flight nursing requires an advanced knowledge of critical care/emergency nursing so the test is focused on ensuring that you possess the knowledge and skills to perform your job as an ICU or E.R nurse well.

Hughmoris posted:

How strong is your cardiac knowledge? 12-lead and all that good stuff.

Pretty good. A&P of both cardiac physiology and irregularities is solid as well as identifying rhythms. I've been told two different stories: 1 is you need to know ACLS front and back etc etc, the other is don't bother they'll just expect you know it. :shrug:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

MurderBot posted:

Pretty good. A&P of both cardiac physiology and irregularities is solid as well as identifying rhythms. I've been told two different stories: 1 is you need to know ACLS front and back etc etc, the other is don't bother they'll just expect you know it. :shrug:

Definitely err on the side of caution and remember as much as you can about ACLS. If they don't ask you anything about it, great, but it would be much better to know what to do in case they do ask. ACLS is a basic thing to know for a flight nurse but don't assume they won't ask basic questions. I imagine they would want to know if you're actually qualified for the job or if you would require a bunch of extra training.

Are you TNCC certified? If so, review your ABCDEFGHI: Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability (neuro exam), Expose (examine for wounds while keeping them warm), Full set of vital signs, Family, Give comfort measures (pain meds mostly), Head to toe exam, Inspect posterior surfaces. Remember always keep c-spine precautions in trauma pts!

Maybe also review protocols for things like STEMI and stroke, know what meds are supposed to be given in what time frame and what could be infusing. Also review your gtt protocols, your vasodilators/constrictors, and sedation. Don't quote me on this but I believe flight nurses mostly do sedation in boluses, but if you're transferring someone between facilities there's a chance you could be on a gtt.

We get people hot off the helicopter in our ICU and I was trying to think of what they usually come with and the report we get from the flight nurses.

Good luck, that would be a sweet job.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Astrofig posted:

Flight nurses are basically paramedics + ICU/ER nurses + their own thing all rolled into one. You don't need to know ACLS, RSI, or vent management on the NCLEX, though you should have your ABG values down. After you get hired as a new grad be prepared for a 1.5 to 3month orientation/learning period depending on where you get hired. My ICU had me going for 3 solid months following a preceptor, and that was after two weeks of classes.

quote:

Don't quote me on this but I believe flight nurses mostly do sedation in boluses, but if you're transferring someone between facilities there's a chance you could be on a gtt.
That's how they come to my ICU unless they're coming from a really long way away, usually.

Speaking of, I'm looking on transferring from a Medical ICU in an oncology hospital to an ER. Anything I should really brush up on?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I do have my TNCC. I'm pretty confident with my trauma assessments, but that's a good idea to look at STEMI protocols. I know that some places will hand you a calculator and say "you need to start a dopamine drip, here's the bag, go" and you're supposed to calculate it out.

I should probably get off the internet and back to studying.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
TNCC is loving easy and dumb and just ACLS+

Took it for free on the North Dakota hospital's dime, gave my one notice two days later. Thanks fuckers!

Also flight nursing is where the operators are at. As long as its fixed wing, I don't want any of that first response bullshit. Just give me an icu in the sky.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I have an interview with both. My phone interview with a fixed wing service is this Monday and HEMS service on Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
My school has given me access to something called ebscohost for free, which lets me eyefuck a bunch of journal articles on a bunch of subjects for references, but all the good poo poo seems to be on ncbi.nlm.nih.gov and pubmed (Ie. hypernatraemia from delicious amounts of soy sauce [Hovda KE, 2011]).

Is anybody signed up to these? Should I sign up to these? Also everyone in my house is doing various bachelor degrees in psych, social work, et cetera, and all ref pubmed constantly but only ever read the abstract to do this. "Mmm, yah, this seems related, citethisforme.com and done". Is this what all you did? Am I being a jerk-off?