Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What's the best non-abrasive poo poo for wiping down pads and gloves after sessions? That won't destroy the leather, obviously.

And if you were wondering the curved fairtex Thai pads are fantastic. They're only slightly curved its not as drastic as some of the ones you see

Or how important is it really. Just hour long sessions nothing crazy. I never really wipes down my gloves and the leather is still in good shape.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Christoff posted:

What's the best non-abrasive poo poo for wiping down pads and gloves after sessions? That won't destroy the leather, obviously.

And if you were wondering the curved fairtex Thai pads are fantastic. They're only slightly curved its not as drastic as some of the ones you see

Or how important is it really. Just hour long sessions nothing crazy. I never really wipes down my gloves and the leather is still in good shape.

I once got a staph infection on my wrist from not properly cleaning my boxing gloves back when I was a teenager, clean your poo poo. Some diluted rubbing alcohol should do the trick.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I once got a staph infection on my wrist from not properly cleaning my boxing gloves back when I was a teenager, clean your poo poo. Some diluted rubbing alcohol should do the trick.

Same here, actually with kneepads. Got a nasty breakout from my boxing gloves after pulling them out of storage.

In straight grappling is the russian tie something I should go for fairly often in response to someone trying to clinch/tie up with me standing? I can usually get tie with decent posture, but I'm having trouble getting the shoulder pressure fast enough to stop them from standing out of it.

Bad example of what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaMPLxoFPVo. I look a lot like the guy demonstrating, where I can't break their posture via executing the tie fast enough to get very much offense on anyone who isn't complete poo poo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Same here, actually with kneepads. Got a nasty breakout from my boxing gloves after pulling them out of storage.

In straight grappling is the russian tie something I should go for fairly often in response to someone trying to clinch/tie up with me standing? I can usually get tie with decent posture, but I'm having trouble getting the shoulder pressure fast enough to stop them from standing out of it.

Bad example of what I mean: [snip]. I look a lot like the guy demonstrating, where I can't break their posture via executing the tie fast enough to get very much offense on anyone who isn't complete poo poo.

If they're posturing up hard after the drag then just drop the arm and shoot a sweep single on that side.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Ligur posted:

I've posted about this earlier, but we've had a few people with TKD past show up and they are funny. Like, really nice people, but also, when someone, somewhere close to them (not necessarily AT them) throws a kick they *ZIP* IMMEDIATELY DROP THEIR HANDS and start a weird cross-step shuffle to prepare a neat kick. Or perhaps to confuse. I am not sure.

They are just fine as long as we kick a bag or pads and can even punch it a bit if they try but it's hilarious when they see this kick being thrown somewhere during a moving/striking or themed sparring exercise with a bit of freedom built in, their eyes glace over, the hands drop, and then you just nudge them in the face with a jab and ask "hey, bro, you alright, why'd you do that!?!"

We had a black belt TKD guy join our karate gym, nicest guy, ripped as hell, great kicks. We taught him to keep his hands up and throw an okay reverse punch and threw him into the white belt divisions in tournaments. :allears: Our little wrecking ball. He's been improving his karate in leaps and bounds too.

Ultragonk posted:

Hello, I've been thinking about taking up a martial art and my local gym has shotokan karate classes that fit my schedule. Has anyone here had any experience with shotokan karate (Probably a stupid question)? What do you think of it? I currently do historical fencing but fancy adding something more without weapons, though we do a little grappling in he fencing school.

It depends on what you're looking for. I've done it for the past half decade, only just stopped because I moved away from my gym and my sensei. I explained to the thread earlier that by the end I was kinda sticking with it only because I really liked the sensei. As with anything, the style doesn't matter much if the coach is terrible.

Overall you're looking at something that blends meditative and exercise forms with a practical, sporty element. That said, shotokan tourney rules are pretty restrictive and uniquely subject to judge's decision, which is mostly why I'm bailing out. However, this means a competition with karate won't leave you bloody, broken, incapacitated and concussed, for the most part. I've seen kick induced barfing, mildly broken noses, but nothing too serious. (The forms, kata, are arguably more dangerous. Pay attention to your form or you might end up loving your knees/ankles.)

That said, I don't regret it, it's a lot of fun and they do some things you don't get out of other styles. Depending on what you're looking for, it could be exactly what you want.

I posted this just a bit back but here it is again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ywqKAnDJXE

A nice thing that cuts kata and karate style kumite next to Machida performing the same techniques in MMA fights.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ligur posted:

If it's located nicely just go there and do some workouts, and if you like it, do it more.

If you do historical fencing (which I think is awesome) you are probably not already interested in learning to the most Street Efficient Martial Art anyway nor the one which will beeline you to the UFC minors in a month, so it's all good.

It is in a great location for me it's just 10 minutes walk from my house so travel wouldn't be a factor. Yeah I'm mid 30s so I'm not looking for a new career in blocking kicks with my face. Thanks for the advice.

the JJ posted:

It depends on what you're looking for. I've done it for the past half decade, only just stopped because I moved away from my gym and my sensei. I explained to the thread earlier that by the end I was kinda sticking with it only because I really liked the sensei. As with anything, the style doesn't matter much if the coach is terrible.

Overall you're looking at something that blends meditative and exercise forms with a practical, sporty element. That said, shotokan tourney rules are pretty restrictive and uniquely subject to judge's decision, which is mostly why I'm bailing out. However, this means a competition with karate won't leave you bloody, broken, incapacitated and concussed, for the most part. I've seen kick induced barfing, mildly broken noses, but nothing too serious. (The forms, kata, are arguably more dangerous. Pay attention to your form or you might end up loving your knees/ankles.)

That said, I don't regret it, it's a lot of fun and they do some things you don't get out of other styles. Depending on what you're looking for, it could be exactly what you want.

I posted this just a bit back but here it is again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ywqKAnDJXE

A nice thing that cuts kata and karate style kumite next to Machida performing the same techniques in MMA fights.

Thanks, that's interesting, I'm not 100% sure what I want out of it at the moment I'm thinking of it more as a hobby. That isn't to say I won't take it seriously I think of my fencing as a hobby and I take that quite seriously.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If they're posturing up hard after the drag then just drop the arm and shoot a sweep single on that side.

Yeah, that's my response. I'm just bothered that I can't get the clinch locked down to where I can do what I want (milkshake transition). Thankes doe.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Ultragonk posted:

It is in a great location for me it's just 10 minutes walk from my house so travel wouldn't be a factor. Yeah I'm mid 30s so I'm not looking for a new career in blocking kicks with my face. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks, that's interesting, I'm not 100% sure what I want out of it at the moment I'm thinking of it more as a hobby. That isn't to say I won't take it seriously I think of my fencing as a hobby and I take that quite seriously.

Well, it probably won't hurt to try, and it's a pretty good hobby TMA as far as TMA's go.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
I've been looking to get into boxing for a while. I live on the northwest side of Chicago, and I'm struggling to find a reasonably priced gym anywhere near me. I found one that has two classes a week for $100/mo. Is this a reasonable price?

I used to do judo, but I'm really new to boxing, and not totally sure how to approach it. I'm checking out a class at that place this week, but I figured I'd ask around first.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I reccommend going to a boxing club and doing judo at them

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dr. Platypus posted:

I used to do judo, but I'm really new to boxing, and not totally sure how to approach it. I'm checking out a class at that place this week, but I figured I'd ask around first.

As with any new MA, regardless of your background: Approach with a completely open mind and do as you're asked.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

As with any new MA, regardless of your background: Approach with a completely open mind and do as you're asked.

That's pretty much what I was planning. I have zero idea about striking. I was more wondering if $100 for 2/wk is a good price.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Platypus posted:

That's pretty much what I was planning. I have zero idea about striking. I was more wondering if $100 for 2/wk is a good price.

$100/mo seems about average I guess.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

My sambo club is $150/month for 2 days of training a week, for comparison. That's New York City though.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
How many hours a week do you all train? I'm slowly ramping up for my match in September. Thinking 10hrs a week until July and the maybe 15-20?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Eat Bum Zen posted:

How many hours a week do you all train? I'm slowly ramping up for my match in September. Thinking 10hrs a week until July and the maybe 15-20?

You must be a very young man. I think I tweaked my shoulder just reading this post.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You must be a very young man. I think I tweaked my shoulder just reading this post.

Supposedly I should be training at the MMA gym for like 3+hrs 6x a week with sparring and rolling on top of weight training I do on my own time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Supposedly I should be training at the MMA gym for like 3+hrs 6x a week with sparring and rolling on top of weight training I do on my own time.

:stonklol:

Are you planning on making a career out of professional MMA, or are you a hobbyist?

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

:stonklol:

Are you planning on making a career out of professional MMA, or are you a hobbyist?

Hobbyist, I just reaaaally don't want to lose in front of my hometown.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Hobbyist, I just reaaaally don't want to lose in front of my hometown.

I would say 10 hours a week would be at the upper end of what you should reasonably be doing without access to things like daily massage and ice baths.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I would say 10 hours a week would be at the upper end of what you should reasonably be doing without access to things like daily massage and ice baths.

I'm listening to this guy. So should most of ya'll.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Huh, poo poo. I have been feeling pretty tired.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I know its not much of an achievement but I am going for my yellow belt in judo today. I have my throws, chokes, arm locks and turnovers down but am a little unsure about the escapes. Anyone know of a good online resource for last minute revision?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm the new president of my canadian province's amateur boxing association. I was elected at the AGM tonight. Kinda psyched and scared at the same time.

e: this is probably my last post before I become an 80s baseball player

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Jesus Christ MA clubs are expensive in the states. Here my club has a membership fee of €20 and a training month is like €30-40 depending on if you are a student etc.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Huh, poo poo. I have been feeling pretty tired.

You can train twice a day six days a week... if you have a terrific base from your youth, take the correct supplements with your otherwise awesome nutrition, sleep a whole lot, and do that as a job (with a training staff). Mix in office hours, school, kids and whatever and oh boy you're not doing yourself any favours.

For normal people, even avid hobbyists, a good rule of thumb is that less is more. If you can train something every other day while being well rested and functional you're better off then training it every day feeling so stiff and sore you need the first 60 minutes just to limber up, to put it roughly.

As an example our national team guys/girls often train just one thing, which is striking, 4-5 days a week, 1,5 - 2 hours at a time. Some go jogging or cycle on the side, or mix in the odd gym session. And they never lose fights because of their lack of conditioning.

If I train 1 hours a day, so that's 7 hours a week, it's already pushing my not-so-young body to a limit.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

General Emergency posted:

Jesus Christ MA clubs are expensive in the states. Here my club has a membership fee of €20 and a training month is like €30-40 depending on if you are a student etc.

Most of the cost of running a decent ma school in the states is liability insurance.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wrageowrapper posted:

I know its not much of an achievement but I am going for my yellow belt in judo today. I have my throws, chokes, arm locks and turnovers down but am a little unsure about the escapes. Anyone know of a good online resource for last minute revision?

Awesome! What holds are you supposed to be escaping or what about your escapes are you unsure about? I'm not sure of a good specific reference but maybe someone here can give you some pointers.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Wrageowrapper posted:

Youtube or Judoinfo.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Christoff posted:

Glad you like the pads. Fairtex is pricey, but the quality is very noticeable. Compared to the gym's stock pads, the Fairtex ones are so easy to use for both the pad holder and the striker.

Bought a second pair of Fairtex gloves for sparring since I bought a 12oz pair when I started Muay Thai. Then I found out that sparring with 12oz gloves is a dick move. At least I can still use them for bagwork and stuff.

---

Sparring chat. I really need to start filming myself when I spar. I'm getting better, but still getting tagged by shots. I can deal with bum rushers a bit better. I'm actually having the opposite problem. I can reach peoples' faces with my jab and cross. But if I try something like a jab to face -> cross to the body, I either whiff the body shot (I fall short of the body). Or, I get tagged when throwing the cross. I guess trying body shots from a longer range isn't smart? I really want to get better at attacking the body because I've noticed hardly anyone defends the body. They're always preoccupied with defending the head.

I also seem to get tagged with hooks all the time. Even when I have my hands up. Ugh! Not sure how they sneak through.

Luckily, my sparring partners are a friendly, helpful bunch. They've pointed out that I do things like lean my head forward as I punch. And that when I'm scrapping close in with someone who managed to close the distance to me, I tend to cover up (good!), but, I look at the ground instead of continuing to look up at my opponent (bad!). Going to be hard to break that habit. :/

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Dolemite posted:

Glad you like the pads. Fairtex is pricey, but the quality is very noticeable. Compared to the gym's stock pads, the Fairtex ones are so easy to use for both the pad holder and the striker.

Bought a second pair of Fairtex gloves for sparring since I bought a 12oz pair when I started Muay Thai. Then I found out that sparring with 12oz gloves is a dick move. At least I can still use them for bagwork and stuff.

---

Sparring chat. I really need to start filming myself when I spar. I'm getting better, but still getting tagged by shots. I can deal with bum rushers a bit better. I'm actually having the opposite problem. I can reach peoples' faces with my jab and cross. But if I try something like a jab to face -> cross to the body, I either whiff the body shot (I fall short of the body). Or, I get tagged when throwing the cross. I guess trying body shots from a longer range isn't smart? I really want to get better at attacking the body because I've noticed hardly anyone defends the body. They're always preoccupied with defending the head.

I also seem to get tagged with hooks all the time. Even when I have my hands up. Ugh! Not sure how they sneak through.

Luckily, my sparring partners are a friendly, helpful bunch. They've pointed out that I do things like lean my head forward as I punch. And that when I'm scrapping close in with someone who managed to close the distance to me, I tend to cover up (good!), but, I look at the ground instead of continuing to look up at my opponent (bad!). Going to be hard to break that habit. :/

It sounds like you might need to work on keeping your feet under you and your base a lil more controlled when you spar.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Dolemite posted:

They've pointed out that I do things like lean my head forward as I punch. And that when I'm scrapping close in with someone who managed to close the distance to me, I tend to cover up (good!), but, I look at the ground instead of continuing to look up at my opponent (bad!). Going to be hard to break that habit. :/

Until you stop leaning into your punches you will never become semi-decent in sparring (moving your head out of the center-line while punching is a different thing and requires a step).

Also why you get tagged when you try body crosses? Here: I'm 95% sure you lean forwards a bit while throwing a jab, and then while leaning forwards and possibly also downwards at the same time, throw the right cross (a shorter punch than the jab to begin with, so you need more reach, so you lean) - leaving your face completely exposed. I've seen that quite a bit over the years, y0.

Wanna tag the body? Feint the jab from closer up than necessary for a regular jab connect and immediately, while returning your jab to the front of your face, drop your head and weight DOWN, raise your right shoulder (assuming you are a righty) and twist your hips and right shoulder to drop the terrific right cross to the body. Or just use the right cross to the body as your first punch. Forget the jab, drop your weight and your head, rise the shoulder, keep your left hand up, and throw the body shot.

Leaning? That's a really difficult thing to crack for some people. Practice it shadow-boxing, pref with a mirror. Throw long punching combinations and watch yourself. Throw some sick long combination like jab, cross, hook, uppercut, hook, cross, body hook x 2 and a jab with a backstep and watch your head. Was your head basically in place while throwing, only moving when you were shifting weight or dropping weight for hooks and uppercuts? If so, good. If not and you see your head follow along with the punches, especially straights, you were leaning, not punching, and leaving yourself open for counters which really smart... because you are leaning into them.

Kinda like what Eat Bum Zen said.

But with more words.

And do balance training so you don't over extend when you punch and fall on your face or at a fist.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

n3rdal3rt posted:

Awesome! What holds are you supposed to be escaping or what about your escapes are you unsure about? I'm not sure of a good specific reference but maybe someone here can give you some pointers.

When I got there it turned out I didn't need any escapes after all but rather some move past the legs maneuvers instead. Hadn't practiced them in ages but thankfully I remembered what to do and got the grade anyway.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

Leaning? That's a really difficult thing to crack for some people. Practice it shadow-boxing, pref with a mirror. Throw long punching combinations and watch yourself. Throw some sick long combination like jab, cross, hook, uppercut, hook, cross, body hook x 2 and a jab with a backstep and watch your head. Was your head basically in place while throwing, only moving when you were shifting weight or dropping weight for hooks and uppercuts? If so, good. If not and you see your head follow along with the punches, especially straights, you were leaning, not punching, and leaving yourself open for counters which really smart... because you are leaning into them.

My old serbian coach at my gym saw me leaning into my cross while hitting the bag and instantly corrected it, I wish I remembered what he said because I wish all my problems were corrected as easily as he corrected that one.

My hook is still loving garbage, for example.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Geno Petralli posted:

My old serbian coach at my gym saw me leaning into my cross while hitting the bag and instantly corrected it, I wish I remembered what he said because I wish all my problems were corrected as easily as he corrected that one.

My hook is still loving garbage, for example.

The only thing that helped me realise what I was doing wrong was watching videos of Joe Frazier enter to throw punches his shuffling entries always meant he could throw bombs and his subtle movement kept him well protected.
Bj Penn circa the Diego Sanchez fight was really quite good at it as well. Sounds like you need to work for a while moving and controlling your posture a tennis ball on a rope can help with that because you can start to shift yourself around it as it swings back toward you and if you over commit without a bag to stop your momentum it throws off your weight and makes it obvious where you're having dramas.

I had to spend a good month every night with my feet tied and an softball under my chin circling a loving tennis ball to get me out of my bad habits.

mewse
May 2, 2006

BlindSite posted:

The only thing that helped me realise what I was doing wrong was watching videos of Joe Frazier enter to throw punches his shuffling entries always meant he could throw bombs and his subtle movement kept him well protected.
Bj Penn circa the Diego Sanchez fight was really quite good at it as well. Sounds like you need to work for a while moving and controlling your posture a tennis ball on a rope can help with that because you can start to shift yourself around it as it swings back toward you and if you over commit without a bag to stop your momentum it throws off your weight and makes it obvious where you're having dramas.

I had to spend a good month every night with my feet tied and an softball under my chin circling a loving tennis ball to get me out of my bad habits.

We have a maize bag to duck, dodge and dive. My problem with the hook isn't that I'm not holding my stance, it's that I'm holding it too rigidly and I need to throw my body into it. I have to twist my front ankle like I'm putting out a cigarette but when I get tired, I throw it with just my arm.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Geno Petralli posted:

We have a maize bag to duck, dodge and dive. My problem with the hook isn't that I'm not holding my stance, it's that I'm holding it too rigidly and I need to throw my body into it. I have to twist my front ankle like I'm putting out a cigarette but when I get tired, I throw it with just my arm.

My left (forehand) hook is my fav punch these days, with my left uppercut. But my right hook :stonk:

There are a few doctrines with the hook. One is first turning your ankle, then your hips, then your side, then your shoulder, and at the last possible moment let your fist fly off from your jawline while shifting your weight from one foot to the other. I also like throwing the Mexican style Gancho with my thumb up and seriously turning my body before letting my fist follow, which creates a really snappy sling effect. Kinda like when throwing a baseball really hard, your body and shoulder commits first, your hand is simply a loose rope which connects your fist or the ball to your body and catapults it at the face of some unfortunate person.

Then there's the style wherein you don't turn your ankle, but start twisting your hips first :aaa: The leg and ankle twist sort naturally follows your hips. We have one instructor who never turns his leg but makes it work wonderfully.

Then there's the tired me, who has tweaked his lower back at least twice trying to hook the head off someone who ducks out of the way. When you forget to twist your leg and hips (being too rigid, like you mention) the torque on your back is fearsome.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

15 years ago I was pretty serious about my karate, I trained four times a week totalling 9 hours and that seemed plenty even for a teenager with little else to do.

Now I'm old and don't given a poo poo 3-4 hours is the sweet spot.

Also my judo club is 3 quid for two hours. :getin:

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Dysgenesis posted:

Also my judo club is 3 quid for two hours. :getin:

Goddamn I wish I had that, I really want to try Judo but the nearest club that I've found is a fair trek away and definitely more expensive than £3....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I really don't understand how people can really train 15 hours a week if you have a real life/real job and actually train hard.

It might be because I'm "old" (29) or judo is more taxing on the body due to falls or I don't know what, but when I train 6-7 hours of judo a week with 2 days of weightlifting and anywhere between 1 and 3 days of cardio a week, my body can barely keep up. May be I don't sleep/eat enough or am a big sissy?

• Locked thread