Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jet Age posted:

i only read the wiki I swear
welp, looks like we got another aatrek on our hands. alert the mods

:aatrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jet Age posted:

thats one my favourite things about star trek expanded universe crazy bullshit, they always assumed extreme competence and capability from TV characters who were basically just okay at their jobs in the show

it's the same in any expanded universe bullshit, the authors figure out that nerds go EEEEEEEEEEEEE when the book is about the thing in the show (or they themselves are the nerds who go EEEEEEEEEEEEE) so everything in the show becomes the awesomest thing ever because it needs to get a whole loving intergalactic story written about it

like you know that trashy cantina band in star wars? they aren't a trashy space redneck cantina band. according to the books they are the most famous band in the entire star wars universe. just playing in a redneck space truck stop and no one is noticing

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
"obrien was made space redundant at 55 and spent the next ten years doing some scrub tier contract work which he described to his friends as 'consulting'. he spent his last days on an NCO pension living in Thailand"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jet Age posted:

"obrien was made space redundant at 55 and spent the next ten years doing some scrub tier contract work which he described to his friends as 'consulting'. he spent his last days on an NCO pension living in Thailand"

lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jet Age posted:

i only read the wiki I swear

alpha, beta, or gamma

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

duTrieux. posted:

i wonder if it was intentional or accidental that keiko was a portrayed as an unreasonable crazy person

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

the federation va loses obrien's space disability claim and he has to wait six months before he can make an appointment to redo it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MancXVI posted:

the federation va loses obrien's space disability claim and he has to wait six months before he can make an appointment to redo it

he gets a couple hours of hazard pay for his 20 year sentence of mental brainplantation and an off-purple heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNyut2fgf5w

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
keiko's treatment was a dry run for audience rage over skyler. There's nothing actually wrong with her but she ends up being the stand-in wet blanket derailing the audience insert from their cool adventures. keiko is this highly regarded xeno-botanist but she follows her husband into some cardassian truck stop posting where there's nothing for her to do. despite this she sticks it out to raise their family and carves out some kind of career around a bunch of whiny bajorans.

nerds don't want to see all this adult stuff involving obligations and compromise they just want more cool space adventures with obrien and bashir which to be fair was the best romance ever depicted in star trek.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Monkeyseesaw posted:

keiko's treatment was a dry run for audience rage over skyler. There's nothing actually wrong with her but she ends up being the stand-in wet blanket derailing the audience insert from their cool adventures. keiko is this highly regarded xeno-botanist but she follows her husband into some cardassian truck stop posting where there's nothing for her to do. despite this she sticks it out to raise their family and carves out some kind of career around a bunch of whiny bajorans.

nerds don't want to see all this adult stuff involving obligations and compromise they just want more cool space adventures with obrien and bashir which to be fair was the best romance ever depicted in star trek.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

it's the same in any expanded universe bullshit, the authors figure out that nerds go EEEEEEEEEEEEE when the book is about the thing in the show (or they themselves are the nerds who go EEEEEEEEEEEEE) so everything in the show becomes the awesomest thing ever because it needs to get a whole loving intergalactic story written about it

like you know that trashy cantina band in star wars? they aren't a trashy space redneck cantina band. according to the books they are the most famous band in the entire star wars universe. just playing in a redneck space truck stop and no one is noticing

the guy running around with an ice cream maker was a spy with the deathstar 2 plans! the robot bounty hunter was going to lead a robot revolution by taking over the deathstar 2! the hutts built a deathstar!

star wars eu was complete garbage from start to finish

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the timothy zahn books were alright airport reads.

the rest of it i agree with you.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
star trek loving sucks and it's funny when people talk a shitload about star trek then say anime sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2sqdudEle4

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

the timothy zahn books were alright airport reads.

the rest of it i agree with you.

i have a signed copy of the third one

but i was 11 at the time so

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

star trek loving sucks and it's funny when people talk a shitload about star trek then say anime sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2sqdudEle4

we have rules about anime dustbowl, this isn't nam. startrek is just a thing that happens in the 'pos

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I liked the episode in the ghost in shell TV series when Togusa was on trial for excessive force against a cyborg who turned his pain sensation off

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

we have rules about anime dustbowl, this isn't nam. startrek is just a thing that happens in the 'pos

anime is the only medium that has really gotten into sci fi since old poo poo like issac asimov

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lighten up

anime hate needs to be reserved for well, most of it

now let me tell you about how wolf's rain paralleled poe's the mask of the red death

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
unless you wanna read cory doctorow or some garbage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yeah, cyberpunk is dead. googlers and anime killed it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
peter watts is releasing a sequel to blindsight

my hopes are pretty low after the lovely rifters sequels though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

anime is the only medium that has really gotten into sci fi since old poo poo like issac asimov

there's plenty of great science fiction out there, it's just not all robots and spacemen any more b/c that particular future proved to be a lot less inevitable than everyone thought in the 50s

Amethyst posted:

i was just gonna say peter watts, actually. biotech and so on are where the sf is right now

and william gibson is still putting out solid stuff on a fairly regular basis

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

after we were done taking the piss out of selected doctorow writings a friend mentioned he liked some and then linked me to a free dl

it's sitting there in my instapaper waiting for me to either judge it, as a cool dude, or read and somewhat enjoy it

not really sure what i'm gonna do here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

it's just not all robots and spacemen any more b/c that particular future proved to be a lot less inevitable than everyone thought in the 50s

i have a harcdover of Clarke's Prelude to Mars here. it's too depressing to read now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

gibson gave up on cyberpunk by 2000. now he just writes SV startup fantasies with the googlers using MMOs to take on the islamic mennace

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

yeah I'm worrying it's gunna be poo poo too, but dude's been taking his loving time so

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

he was commissioned to write a crysis novel hahahaha

did anyone read it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Well someone's got to eat all this bran

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

gibson gave up on cyberpunk by 2000. now he just writes SV startup fantasies with the googlers using MMOs to take on the islamic mennace

That's Neal Stephenson. Gibson did the Bridge trilogy and the Blue Ant trilogy (both very good).

You're correct that Reamde (Stephenson) is loving terrible.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

whoops. yeah, reamde is what i was thinking of

i have the bridge trilogy, i thought the blue ant trilogy was his near-future brands as memes or whatever stuff. i have zero history and spook county but i hevn't read them yet

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

whoops. yeah, reamde is what i was thinking of

i have the bridge trilogy, i thought the blue ant trilogy was his near-future brands as memes or whatever stuff. i have zero history and spook county but i hevn't read them yet

i haven't finished blue ant either

bridge and sprawl were very much my poo poo as a teenager

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
all tommorow's parties is one of my favorite books

it sucks hbo did game of thrones instead of neuromancer

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
you should listen to the police when you read william gibson

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you should listen to cybotron when you read william gibson

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

all tommorow's parties is one of my favorite books

it sucks hbo did game of thrones instead of neuromancer

well we did get james r.r. cameron with certainly not chevette washington but instead DARK ANGEL

DARK

ANGEL

you could get anything to work with jessica alba but c'mon reach a little bit

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
so a friend recommended i read "leviathan wakes"; gonna pick that up tomorrow prolly

also i've realized that i have somehow missed "against a dark background" while reading through banks's stuff; this is a grave error which will be corrected asap

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
#mollym!ll!on$$$

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a7d90ea992/star-wars-jizz-a-ken-burns-documentary

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

worst part of Keiko O'Brien was the the actress was really bad. late night local real estate commercial bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

she was on par with the rest of the actors. the problem was that it was a low key mundane adult drama embedded in a show about space ships, the end

• Locked thread