Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Where are you all getting this Warlock dungeon mode? My default version of Masterwork only starts out with dwarves, I think (at least I didn't get to choose what race to play) and the Warlock manual pages can't be found. Do I need to install a third patch on top of this thing (the first two being dfhack and Masterwork)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Masterwork has Warlocks as a playable race, they should be listed under civilizations in the MW GUI. Maybe you need to update Masterwork?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah, you choose what races are playable in the Masterwork GUI ("Masterwork Dwarf Fortress.exe") before generating a world, then you pick a race when embarking if I recall correctly.

Also, you don't need to install DFHack on top of Masterwork, it's included. Masterwork is a complete package, you don't need to add anything to it.

The newest version of MW is 5.0.7, which you can find here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125633.0

Edit: Also there are manuals (I don't know how good they are, but they exist) for all the races. They're in the Masterwork folder as .html-files.

Apoffys fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 17, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

mornhaven posted:

I assign them by caste with skeletons getting all crafting skills, ghouls getting butchery, tanning, cooking, and possibly fishing, I give warlocks scribing, herbalism, and alchemy.

They all can wear armor, ghouls use whips, or they used to, I haven't looked at the newer releases. It's the only weapon skill they will actual be able to gain skill in.
Basically they all can do any of the skills, they just won't gain skill in them.

My standard start begins with slaughtering the minions you summon with warlocks for souls, then building the block summoning building to build a tower, and then the necro shrine. I tend not to create the zombies because they die really quickly to invaders.

I assign my skills backwards from what you do. That way I have better expansion come once i'm set up.

The reason being that skeletons move gently caress all slow (with the exception of the starting batch) and learn skills 50% slower without expensive upgrades to infuse bones that appear to be prone to fail. So if you want to get crazy powerful items it pays to have your ghouls be the crafters, with your skeletons doing all the menial labor. That way they learn stuff faster without having to blow souls on skeletal upgrades.

Also, don't the blocks disappear when placed after a bit? I recall a bit in the manual suggesting the furniture does at least. That might make for an interesting surprise a few months in game down the line. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 17, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I can't believe I didn't know about Masterwork until now. :downs:
I downloaded it and extracted it, but the GUI seems to be stuck on "Loading..." any of you guys experienced a similar problem?

e: n/m got it figured out. Something about my old version was screwing with it. Time to go make a Warlock fort. :getin:

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 17, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Archonex posted:

The reason being that skeletons move gently caress all slow (with the exception of the starting batch) and learn skills 50% slower without expensive upgrades to infuse bones that appear to be prone to fail. So if you want to get crazy powerful items it pays to have your ghouls be the crafters, with your skeletons doing all the menial labor. That way they learn stuff faster without having to blow souls on skeletal upgrades.

Also, don't the blocks disappear when placed after a bit? I recall a bit in the manual suggesting the furniture does at least. That might make for an interesting surprise a few months in game down the line. :v:

Wait did they change how warlocks work in Masterwork? I thought skeletons flat out got zero skill gains in anything that wasn't fighting skills, and the only skills ghouls would gain is whips and butchery? And maybe dodge and brawler? And the infusing skills can fail? I swore they always worked 100% or I got really lucky.

Also the summoned blocks stay once used in a building or in walls and floors.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Archonex posted:

I assign my skills backwards from what you do. That way I have better expansion come once i'm set up.

They have always moved at the same speed for me. It's combat skills that have the adjusted skill rate based on skeleton type, they only learn skills by being infused with souls, which has always worked for me, but I don't feed skeletons for agility. Feeding anything for agility can cause the infuse/learn spells not to work. I think it makes them dodge the reaction...

I normally use the starting skeletons to give me a basic workforce that I don't use as many souls to upgrade and also doesn't eat, sleep, or drink, they'll still take breaks and wear clothing though.

I think the only thing that disappears are the summoned weapons.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So I just picked this game back up after a couple years away. If there's no grass on a map, are my livestock guaranteed to starve to death?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

When you crack the cavern ceiling, the moss and fungal spores get out and start growing on any underground soil tiles. If you don't even have soil, you're hosed.

Possibly A Ghost
Jul 27, 2013

Eschatos posted:

So I just picked this game back up after a couple years away. If there's no grass on a map, are my livestock guaranteed to starve to death?

Honestly, they're pretty much guaranteed to starve to death no matter what. Even if you pasture them all, they'll all try to eat only the grass at the top left corner of the pasture and will beat the poo poo out of each other for the right to do so.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Leal posted:

Wait did they change how warlocks work in Masterwork? I thought skeletons flat out got zero skill gains in anything that wasn't fighting skills, and the only skills ghouls would gain is whips and butchery? And maybe dodge and brawler? And the infusing skills can fail? I swore they always worked 100% or I got really lucky.

Also the summoned blocks stay once used in a building or in walls and floors.

There used to be a line in the manual that stated that they learn slowly, but that as they get upgraded they start to learn a bit faster. I'll see if I can find the quote if it's still there. The ratios didn't make much sense to me when I saw them.

Also, I found one final big potentially showstopping bug with Warlock mode. I reported it on the DF forums so hopefully it'll get fixed. Apparently crafted pets have two bugs in warlock mode. One is that they're not set to be allied to undead creatures currently. Though enchanted armor sets may be excluded from this according to one player. This means that if you like to raise all the dead on the map that you have to keep them away from them, which is problematic, since the higher end necromantic stuff that requires high rituals is :black101: as hell.

The other is a loyalty cascade issue with pets. I had a gargantuan bone golem I had painstakingly made start attacking my fort members after a skeleton lost their controllable tag for a split second. The four story tall monstrosity of rotted corpses and skeletons welded together turned around, grabbed a warlock's arms, and literally ripped them off before throwing them through the air at a ghoul, exploding him. My citizens all stared at the undead kaiju for a second before either charging it or running like hell. I can't blame them. :stare:

I also had a randomly generated set of demons go hostile to everyone when they saw a skeleton get the controlled buff reapplied. They were the type you can summon from the demonologist researchable station. One was a skink demon that shot stupidly valuable silk webs everywhere (Seriously, he loving did it to make a nest or something. He'd stand in it afterwards like it was a hammock. Never saw that behavior before. Maybe that's what spiders do in the game?), and the other was a giant lava infused demonic tarantula that injected fire into the things it bit. Think that boss from the first Devil May Cry.

Both were basically terrifying raid bosses for sieges that showed up. They were also loving awesome up until they decided the little arenas I put them in were more valuable to them than their loyalty to me. At which point one became a horrifying nest of webs inhabited by a nightmarish lizard demon, and the cavern the other one was in became a burnt wasteland.

Other than that Warlock mode is basically more "Dungeon Keeper" than the Dungeon Keeper series was. Only add in multiple "hearts" to the dungeon and a magic casting human NPC element that can also learn crazy spells. My current necromancer cadre can inflict the flesh rot on enemies, teleport around in combat like some sort of horrible japanese cartoon character while wielding ghostly blades and staves like some sort of hosed up version of Gandalf, scare people half to death by their sight alone, walk supernaturally fast, and literally ignite people by casting a steely gaze at them. :black101:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 17, 2014

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

You are seriously my favourite poster, please don't ever stop.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Possibly A Ghost posted:

Honestly, they're pretty much guaranteed to starve to death no matter what. Even if you pasture them all, they'll all try to eat only the grass at the top left corner of the pasture and will beat the poo poo out of each other for the right to do so.

Most livestock can be kept alive, you just need to split the herds up. Instead of having one huge pasture with all your animals, distribute them between several smaller pastures.
If the animals in a pasture are fighting, it's too crowded. If they eat all the grass in the pasture, it's too small.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There are several mods (including Modest Mod, which is just vanilla with a couple of very small balance and quality-of-life tweaks) that fix the grazer issue. You can also delete the grazer entries altogether if you want to go back to how things were before Toady introduced hunger for grass-eating animals and then forgot about them. :geno:

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Apoffys posted:

Most livestock can be kept alive, you just need to split the herds up. Instead of having one huge pasture with all your animals, distribute them between several smaller pastures.
If the animals in a pasture are fighting, it's too crowded. If they eat all the grass in the pasture, it's too small.

How many animals are you people keeping? I've never had livestock starve to death with one maximum size pasture.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Apoffys posted:

There are also some bugs, though:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4113
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4367

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So it turns out you can play with multiple people online thanks to an app someone made. According to old change logs it may be folded into Masterwork by default too. Though I imagine it's janky as hell. Has anyone tried it out? I'm curious if it's worth the trouble of setting up a server for it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 17, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Archonex posted:

The other is a loyalty cascade issue with pets.

I'm really sad they haven't fixed this yet, its what caused me to abandon many warlock forts. Even better is if for whatever reason necromancers are in the enemy army and you send your ghouls or whatever to kill it, they get flagged as enemies to your civilization. Any your pets just randomly attacking someone in the meeting hall which causes a clustefuck as everyone runs and the rest of your pets attack that pet is just... they really need to fix it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Leal posted:

I'm really sad they haven't fixed this yet, its what caused me to abandon many warlock forts. Even better is if for whatever reason necromancers are in the enemy army and you send your ghouls or whatever to kill it, they get flagged as enemies to your civilization. Any your pets just randomly attacking someone in the meeting hall which causes a clustefuck as everyone runs and the rest of your pets attack that pet is just... they really need to fix it.

Apparently the bugs are due to how zombies are handled. If a pet kills a raised one it can flag it hostile. Most likely the zombies count as fort members to some degree and it's creating some sort of fault with the logic where the pet assumes it's being attacked by the fort members.

So basically never let your crafted pets go outside to interact with the dead. Or keep your zombie population well segregated from your population of horrifying abominations.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Just started messing around with Masterwork today. Is there a way to choose your embark race before choosing the location? Each time I try to embark, the race is automatically assigned and random. I checked Masterwork and I have Dwarves enabled, but am not given a choice. Do I need to disable every race except the one I intend to use?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Just started messing around with Masterwork today. Is there a way to choose your embark race before choosing the location? Each time I try to embark, the race is automatically assigned and random. I checked Masterwork and I have Dwarves enabled, but am not given a choice. Do I need to disable every race except the one I intend to use?

It should give you a choice somewhere, but I usually just uncheck 'playable' on every race except the one I want to use, yeah.

I think it's when you pick what civ you want to be part of on the embark but I'm not sure.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Succubi fortress:

I... what? They weren't even part of my civ :psyduck: Moreover HOW was this done?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leal posted:

Succubi fortress:

I... what? They weren't even part of my civ :psyduck: Moreover HOW was this done?
The kidnapper put them in a sack, duh.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Oh look, I'm Bad Munki, hey the new version of Dwarf Fortress was released! Ohhh, just kidding, bitches!!! LOLSASAURUS just a devlog!!!

Devlog posted:

The truck is still trucking... I should keep doing this dev log thing though. So yeah, what did I play with... pets vs. fort retirement, alarmed bystander tests, all sorts of brokenness with how guards are allocated and shuffled around during site (un)realization, more date checking and am-I-outmoded checking for rumors (though some of them still seem to linger), and a whole ton of data entry for gait stuff. We continue to be on track.

"The truck is still trucking"? I think he may finally be coming unravelled.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I can't believe how excited I am even though I know the confirmed new feature list is sparse. 2 years of dev should be very noticeable!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Dungeon Ecology posted:

when you are choosing an embark site, if you tab you will get multiple screens, including one where you can choose civilizations. It doesn't tell you which is which, but in one of the other screens you can tab to you will get all the races and neighbours, the race of your civilization being the top one.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Baloogan posted:

I can't believe how excited I am even though I know the confirmed new feature list is sparse. 2 years of dev should be very noticeable!

I think people are underestimating how radically the living world is going to change the experience of the game.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Baloogan posted:

Maybe there will be a functional and logical UI!

:smith:

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

There are hopes, there are dreams, and there is another category for what you just asked for.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

:yohoho:

Maybe next year!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

It should give you a choice somewhere, but I usually just uncheck 'playable' on every race except the one I want to use, yeah.

I think it's when you pick what civ you want to be part of on the embark but I'm not sure.

canepazzo posted:

when you are choosing an embark site, if you tab you will get multiple screens, including one where you can choose civilizations. It doesn't tell you which is which, but in one of the other screens you can tab to you will get all the races and neighbours, the race of your civilization being the top one.

Ok, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe you guys see something I'm not seeing.

First, I make sure all of the civilizations I DON'T want to play have the red X under Playable (Fortress).

Next, I start up my game and hit Play, choosing Dwarf Fortress:

Ok, let's find a good embark site (shallow/deep metals, no aquifer). Here we go.

Let's hit Tab to see what other information I can gather:

Looks like I've got lots of neighbors. Warlock seems to be at the top, which is concerning.

Let's hit Tab again:

I assume these are the names of neighboring civilizations, (Mine having not yet been chosen?)
Either way, let's hit E for embark, and confirm:

Ok this looks good, we've got a large selection of pre-fab Dwarf embarks. But, just to be sure, let's hit "Empty Template: Do it Yourself":

Aaaaand I've got Warlocks. :smith:

Did I miss something somewhere? Do you have to Apply changes in the Masterwork GUI or restart before they take effect? It must be something...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Ok, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe you guys see something I'm not seeing.

First, I make sure all of the civilizations I DON'T want to play have the red X under Playable (Fortress).

Next, I start up my game and hit Play, choosing Dwarf Fortress:

Did I miss something somewhere? Do you have to Apply changes in the Masterwork GUI or restart before they take effect? It must be something...
I'm not seeing "generate a new world" in between these here. Did you do that?

EDIT: Because changing the raws won't affect things like that for already generated worlds. It's already figured out what civs are playable in that world.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 18, 2014

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I assume these are the names of neighboring civilizations, (Mine having not yet been chosen?)

That's what you're doing wrong. That's the list of possible civilizations you can choose. Use + and - to select one of them, go back to check what's at the top of the neighbours until you got your race.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The UI is the least important thing because that's something someone other than Toady can do.

The living world, on the other hand, is the most amazing new development since DF went 3d.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

my dad posted:

The UI is the least important thing because that's something someone other than Toady can do.

The living world, on the other hand, is the most amazing new development since DF went 3d.

Living world + retiring forts. next patch, it'll be less dwarf fortress and more dwarf empire.
Every fortress will be really different. You might suddenly stop getting migrants, you might get more than you can cope with.
You might be besieged by a goblin army led by a demon, kill them all, and never be besieged again.
You might find traders never come!

Also, I imagine we'll get some absolutely amazing and hilarious bugs.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Zereth posted:

I'm not seeing "generate a new world" in between these here. Did you do that?

EDIT: Because changing the raws won't affect things like that for already generated worlds. It's already figured out what civs are playable in that world.

Ahhh. This looks like this issue. But, as it is pointed out, you should still be able to scroll through a list of playable civs if I had many more enabled, right?
I can scroll through the list of civilizations shown here:

But I still don't know which race each is... I mean I can sort of guess that the Hairy Terrors are probably not good-aligned, but you know...

Maybe I should just start a new map with just one civ enabled.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could also probably check out the list of civs in legend mode which will probably state who they are.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Zereth posted:

The kidnapper put them in a sack, duh.

Try playing as Orcs sometime. They're basically the outdoor camp race of the game, and it happens hilariously often if you wall in the camp and put the depot right outside the doors. Every time a goblin caravan shows up kobolds come by the dozens to jack all their poo poo. Which isn't much, since they're goblins. But hey, whatever. I sold them a dozen untrained pets I cage trapped and they were all taken off the wagons while they were moving to leave the map.

Also surprised at how good Orc mode is in Masterwork. You basically play as the ultimate modifiable version of Orcs. You can play them as Warcraft's shamanistic horde, as the Orcs from LOTR, or if you want even as Ork's from Warhammer 40K. There's even the option at the end game to craft stuff like chainaxes and dakkadakka guns.

It's gotten to the point where the more defensive races won't even enter my camp. They'll just sit outside since the mix of 7 foot tall Uruk's wielding 2H great-axes one handed, snaga with blow darts and the two machine guns i've managed to make, Olog-Hai with giant clubs, and orcs wielding junk swords and axes are all backed by the 25 trolls and 50 dire wolves (They breed like cats. :stonk:) that are just sitting inside the entrance, waiting to rip apart any thieves or siegers that enter.

The only complaint I have is that the embark screen says I don't get trade from human bandits and frost giants. Is there a way around that, or am I right in assuming it's because of the new mount and caravan puller system Masterwork added in last update? I was suspecting that Meph hasn't gotten around to adding units for that in for those two races yet.

quote:

But I still don't know which race each is... I mean I can sort of guess that the Hairy Terrors are probably not good-aligned, but you know...

The name of a race doesn't really mean much. They draw from a list of random words that are put together. Each race appears to have a number of themed words that can turn out any way. I once had a Warlock empire that was called the Punches of Murdering, for instance. However I also had one that was The Hugs of Murdering or something like that.

What really matters if whether you flag them as good or evil. This should change who wants to siege you and who brings what trade goods. Trade goods vastly differ by race in Masterwork. Human bandits bring a poo poo-ton of guns for instance. While races like Warlocks will bring extra fun to the fortress if you're lucky/unlucky enough for them to show up to trade.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 18, 2014

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Ahhh. This looks like this issue. But, as it is pointed out, you should still be able to scroll through a list of playable civs if I had many more enabled, right?
I can scroll through the list of civilizations shown here:

Maybe I should just start a new map with just one civ enabled.

When you highlight a civ and tab back to the neighbours screen, the top race is your highlighted civ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I have only one thing I want to see in a future DF release at the moment: managing sites outside your fort. I want to embark into the frozen north to start my own little mini-empire in the foothills of a single lonely mountain.