Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

If people want a doping thread i'm happy to make one like it did for the 2012 olympics

yessss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Healbot posted:

Professional football is doped to the gills, don't delude yourself into thinking your domestic league is safe from that. If there's money on the line you better believe people will go to lengths to secure a certain level of performance.

It'd break my heart if the source of Jimmy Milner's stamina was a needle :smith:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I don't know how it was in other countries, but here in Germany, "doping in football is pointless, it's a team/finesse sport!" was accepted truth until at least halfway into the 00's. No idea why anyone ever believed that a stamina sport wouldn't benefit from doping, I think they just really wanted to believe it because reality scared them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres a pretty good quote from Gary Neville about the Euro 96 semi final, where one of the physios came around with a 'pain killing' injection.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Theres a pretty good quote from Gary Neville about the Euro 96 semi final, where one of the physios came around with a 'pain killing' injection.

I always wonder whether the players themselves are cognisant of what's going on, or if they're just handed stuff by the club that they assume must be legit.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

All elite sport should have no needle policies

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

serious gaylord posted:

quote:

"Hoddle took over from Venables and it's been said before: if only he had possessed the man-management skills to go with his undoubted football intelligence. He was a very good coach who wanted England to play the right way.

"He also believed in alternative methods, including Eileen Drewery, the faith healer, who'd visited the camp a few times before the World Cup. As a bit of a sceptic, I'd never gone to see her. When the 1998 World Cup started, some of the players started taking injections from Glenn's favourite medic, a Frenchman called Dr Rougier. It was different from anything we'd done at United, but all above board, I'm sure.

"After some of the lads said they'd felt a real burst of energy, I decided to seize any help on offer. So many of the players decided to go for it before that Argentina match that there was a queue to see the doctor. Before the game, Glenn did his usual pre-match routine of moving around the players, shaking their hands and touching them just over the heart. We'll never know if the methods had any positive effect.

Only thing I could find

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Katana Gomai posted:

I don't know how it was in other countries, but here in Germany, "doping in football is pointless, it's a team/finesse sport!" was accepted truth until at least halfway into the 00's. No idea why anyone ever believed that a stamina sport wouldn't benefit from doping, I think they just really wanted to believe it because reality scared them.
A lot of people believe this, and further argue that stamina isn't that important in football, as you also need technique, tactical awareness, a brain, and what not. All true, of course, but if you're able to run faster and longer then the opposition you'd obviously have a massive advantage. In short, doping rules but Big Rodg doesn't need it.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I don't get it, are you saying that C Ronaldo and Robben would have something to gain from running faster than their opponents? No way, all you need is technique.

Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

If people want a doping thread i'm happy to make one like it did for the 2012 olympics

I'd be genuinely interested in this as well.

peanut- posted:

I always wonder whether the players themselves are cognisant of what's going on, or if they're just handed stuff by the club that they assume must be legit.

Wenger spoke about this in 2004:

quote:

We have had some players come to us at Arsenal from other clubs abroad and their red blood cell count has been abnormally high. That kind of thing makes you wonder. There are clubs who dope their players without the players knowing. The club might say that they were being injected with vitamins and the player would not necessarily know that it was something different.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Syncopated posted:

I don't get it, are you saying that C Ronaldo and Robben would have something to gain from running faster than their opponents? No way, all you need is technique.
Some people actually come up with stuff like that, believe it or not.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Katana Gomai posted:

I read a post like that here in TRP not that long ago, so it's not exclusive to Germany (just like doping).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Machinegunboyo posted:

How much do you know about the case bru? I was wondering what exactly was happening and what WADA were up to, but I can't find a great deal.

Information about this case is understandably very hard to come by, but the general consensus is that when, not if WADA get their hands on these samples there will be some major shakeups. It will then be down to each sports authority to act on this information, so expect cycling to come down the hardest and tennis to ignore it completely.

The spanish authorities are fighting tooth and nail to prevent these samples from getting into WADA's hands. That should tell you exactly how big this is.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
If Spain are doping they're pretty poo poo at it since they're so one paced. Alba's the only player with very good speed.

Can't wait to see Chile tear them apart tonight. :unsmigghh:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Painkiller posted:

If Spain are doping they're pretty poo poo at it since they're so one paced. Alba's the only player with very good speed.

Can't wait to see Chile tear them apart tonight. :unsmigghh:

The high pressing tiki taka passing game was reliant on good stamina. All of a sudden not only Barca, but other spanish teams known for their pressing have all lost that. Wonder what might have happened?

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

Syncopated posted:

In this case, it's safe to say that Berbatov don't dope.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

The high pressing tiki taka passing game was reliant on good stamina. All of a sudden not only Barca, but other spanish teams known for their pressing have all lost that. Wonder what might have happened?

That's true of course. I wasn't trying to use their sluggishness as evidence that they aren't doping, just laughing at how slow they are. Spain's lack of dynamism in the centre is a real problem for them. De Vrij and Martins Indi were able to follow Iniesta and Silva all over the place because they knew that neither Xavi, Alonso or Busquets were going to run past them.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

vaginal culture posted:

Nah all soccer testing is a loving joke, they don't blood test (only now are starting to I think) and its only in competition testing. If testing was good, players would look like they did in the 80's again.

I wouldn't go as far to say that it's just because doping that players look ripped. In the past 30 years there's been plenty of development in training methods, nutrition and general increase in knowledge about human physiology as well. That said, with the money involved and the competition for spots, getting an edge against your competition has made it far more enticing to use PED's. And being a pro athlete is pretty much a year round thing and not something you just spend a month training before the season starts. This goes for all professional sports and not only soccer. And testing for doping is woeful in all major sports leagues around the world.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Painkiller posted:

That's true of course. I wasn't trying to use their sluggishness as evidence that they aren't doping, just laughing at how slow they are. Spain's lack of dynamism in the centre is a real problem for them. De Vrij and Martins Indi were able to follow Iniesta and Silva all over the place because they knew that neither Xavi, Alonso or Busquets were going to run past them.

The Dutch have surpassed Spain in the doping arms race, just look at their speed skating performance in Sochi

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
re: doping, all the Spanish tennis players are doing it too, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Wimbledon_Championships_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles#Seeds

9 Spanish seeds, Lol.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

re: doping, all the Spanish tennis players are doing it too, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Wimbledon_Championships_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles#Seeds

9 Spanish seeds, Lol.

It's widely believed Nadal is and it would be unsurprising if Novak Djokovic was too as his major trait is his insane stamina. Pretty much though they won't do anything and if they were they will wait for Federer to retire first.

There are two certainties in sport: that Roger Federer will never be tested, and that Usain Bolt will never be tested. They are the golden icons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Nadal regularly moans about how strict testing despite Tennis having the laziest testing of pretty much any major sport. Djokovic used to quit games when he was gassed then got on a "gluten free diet" and started winning regularly.

All Spanish sport is tainted by the fact anyone who wins things will have almost certainly been using Fuentes. Real Sociedad's former president came out and said that there were bags of blood with player names on that he assumes were for doping and nobody did any investigated or anything

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

If we trust the rumours the west german teams from 50-70 were juiced up to their eyeballs with all kinds of poo poo.

Jose posted:

Nadal regularly moans about how strict testing despite Tennis having the laziest testing of pretty much any major sport. Djokovic used to quit games when he was gassed then got on a "gluten free diet" and started winning regularly.

All Spanish sport is tainted by the fact anyone who wins things will have almost certainly been using Fuentes. Real Sociedad's former president came out and said that there were bags of blood with player names on that he assumes were for doping and nobody did any investigated or anything

The puerto operation not only targeted spanish players and athletes.They had contacts in Germany , Italy and France.Everybody is doing it.Not that excuses anything.Also Nadal conveniently gets injured for certain months every year and comes back stronger every time.I still remember those 2008-2010 Sevilla teams that ran faster and further than everybody and how everything was due to a "magic diet".

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 18, 2014

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

first... to worst?!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jose posted:

All professional sports is tainted. Spain is the only place (outside of, like, all of cycling) where the taint is visible.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

All professional sports is tainted. Spain is the only place (outside of, like, all of cycling) where the taint is visible.

Crotchless panties seem like a poor choice for sports.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

L M A O

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So Del Bosque surely has to be sacked now

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"Hurrr durrrrr" - Spain

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

adios los hombres de la basura

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
who are the canadians going to support now

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.
Just....shocked and sad right now :(

Hats off to Chile for being the aggressor, but... wow....just....wow.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Spain seem to ruin a lot of sports I like so I hope they brutally lose all their games and crash out of their group.

Wish granted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

• Locked thread