Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Drakenel posted:

Huh. I only just now realized that holding the 'call horse' button actually makes you automatically jump on when it gets near you.

Also holy poo poo Zhang Jiao's voice actor is loving this poo poo.

Every voice actor he's had has loved that poo poo

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
He's one of the best VAs in the game. God drat I love playing as him. :allears:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I always liked the one game where he used magic to freeze a river, letting his trips cross it effortlessly.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Xun Yu is the newest addition to the Dynasty Warriors roster.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
'Formation staff'?

Sun Quan circa 8. Acts like Prince Adam, sounds like He-Man. 'SO HEROIC':allears: Then I thought about his fighting style, mixed with Hyrule Warriors thinking.

He fights like Link. Like, if you'd have asked me how Link would fight in a Musou game before, I'd have probably described that.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I feel the need to remind you all that Kamille's a man's name AND I'M A MAN!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Der-Wreck posted:

I feel the need to remind you all that Kamille's a man's name AND I'M A MAN!

Thought I heard a girl's name. But that kid looks like a boy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope Gundam Reborn has a terrible English dub again.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
It's sub only. The magic is gone :(.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The GIG posted:

The tragic thing is there are plenty of people rejoicing at this news. No more Heero and Zechs talking to each other with the same voice actor.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

TARDISman posted:

The tragic thing is there are plenty of people rejoicing at this news. No more Heero and Zechs talking to each other with the same voice actor.

I liked to pretend the VA had to record those in one go with a sock puppet of each character on his hands playing it out.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So I've been looking at getting DW8 XL Complete on Vita. I've seen complaints that the framerate is bad though. Just how rough is it? Is it playable or is it too frustrating to even bother with?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

OxMan posted:

I liked to pretend the VA had to record those in one go with a sock puppet of each character on his hands playing it out.

Remover the sock puppet and you're 100% accurate. If I remember what I read of voicework, they don't even get to see the footage they're voicing over half the time.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

The GIG posted:

The magic was gone when Domon's original VA decided to quit voice acting to be a dumb ol' surgeon

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The GIG posted:

It's only magic for people who experienced it that way to start with. For the rest of us, it's just painful to listen to.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Also when Master Asia's VA died. That legitimately upset me. :(

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Raserys posted:

The magic was gone when Domon's original VA decided to quit voice acting to be a dumb ol' surgeon

Agreed, though if memory serves, Mark Gatha is actually a dentist, though I could be wrong.

Either way, if he even once did the 'This hand of mine' speech, but regarding whatever surgical tool he was using, and it was recorded, I think the Gundam community would die happy from that.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Magil of Shadow posted:

Agreed, though if memory serves, Mark Gatha is actually a dentist, though I could be wrong.

Either way, if he even once did the 'This hand of mine' speech, but regarding whatever surgical tool he was using, and it was recorded, I think the Gundam community would die happy from that.

He's either a dentist or a vet. Either way it's possible, one way is him drilling someone's teeth, the other is him delivering a baby cow, City Slickers style.

EDIT: He's an orthopedic surgeon. So I guess it's his feet that are burning red.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How does the newest gundam dynasty warriors play on the vita? Its a ps3, not a ps4 game so I would imagine its okay.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fauxtool posted:

How does the newest gundam dynasty warriors play on the vita? Its a ps3, not a ps4 game so I would imagine its okay.

Probably just fine, but AFAIK only the PS3 version is coming to the west.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So was DW8 and this is Koei we're talking about. Unless anyone has played the Japanese version, we probably won't know until trip reports start filtering down in this thread.

Fake edit: Whoops didn't realise they weren't releasing the Vita version outside Japan.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

thorsilver posted:

So I've been looking at getting DW8 XL Complete on Vita. I've seen complaints that the framerate is bad though. Just how rough is it? Is it playable or is it too frustrating to even bother with?

It runs somewhere between choppy and absolute poo poo. It's known to crap itself down to single-digit frame rates (and rarely outrightly CRASH) during some Musous. It is the absolute worst way to experience Dynasty Warriors 8 and you probably want to avoid it if you've got another version and you don't feel a horrible burning need to play Dynasty Warriors on the go.

The funny thing is that the Japanese version got this problem patched up really quickly and only suffers from the odd Gatekeeper bug. Like, it's still not silky smooth but the Japanese version has a very playable framerate at all times while still keeping a screen full of dudes and effects. The US version, supposedly, was based on this patched version, but runs like horseshit the moment things start going down heavily.

Until the US version gets a new patch to bring it to parity with the Japanese version, I cannot recommend the Vita version of DW8:XL unless you are very desperate for Dynasty Warriors action on the go. The fact it still has yet to receive this patch is probably the most worrisome part.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 18, 2014

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Fauxtool posted:

Absolutely fine. Unlike DW8, the backgrounds are very simple when they're not just a star field so that keeps the framerate up. The main difference is the number of mobile suits onscreen. There are still loads on the Vita but on PS3 it's just ridiculous to the point that it slows down to a crawl if you set off a bit chain explosion. In that respect the Vita version actually runs better than on PS3. One nice touch is that it gives you the PS3 controls and buttons (even down to coloured symbols) when playing on Vita TV.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
I realize I'm a bit late to the Hyrule Warriors discussion, but I want to add that so far all the playables revealed are human(ish). I'd really like them to have some non-human playables, like a Zora and a Goron.

Seriously thinking Hyrule Warriors might be what finally tips me into the "buy a WiiU" camp.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ScottyBomb posted:

I realize I'm a bit late to the Hyrule Warriors discussion, but I want to add that so far all the playables revealed are human(ish). I'd really like them to have some non-human playables, like a Zora and a Goron.

Seriously thinking Hyrule Warriors might be what finally tips me into the "buy a WiiU" camp.

Didn't E3 reveal Midna w/ Wolf Link as playable? Does she/they not count?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Say hello to Xun Yu.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Say hello to Xun Yu.

That's a nice hat.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ScottyBomb posted:

I think at E3 they said that even though its a Zelda game, Dynasty Warriors needs lots of playable dudes, so they must have a decent number of ideas and not just a half dozen main characters.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Didn't they also announce a Wizrobe type thing that is a flying magic ring or something?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I think there's going to be a bit more than 9 but not to many, since I could see them using the multiple movesets to sort of inflate the roster depth.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Also in the E3 demo there were Goron Captains in the Hyrulean Army, so there's Gorons in the game, I suspect Darunia or someone like him like Darmani is a playable character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unless they include non-playable Officers (which seems unlikely), there are going to be enemy-type characters who are not human.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Unless they include non-playable Officers (which seems unlikely), there are going to be enemy-type characters who are not human.

Eh they did it for Ken's Rage and Pirate Warriors so I wouldn't be surprised if they did it here.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

thorsilver posted:

Gonna go against what the other guy said and say DW8XLCE is worth getting on the Vita even with the lovely framerate. If you've ever played any PS2-era musou games it won't phase you a bit. The framedrops are noticeable, but I've never been killed or missed an objective due to them. It's like a modern day version of the NES slowdown when too much stuff is on screen.

IMO being able to pick up and play a few battles here and there is worth putting up with the dodgey framerate. I probably would've bailed on Ambition mode if I had to grind it out in front of a tv/monitor, but plucking away at it while watching a baseball game or something has kept it fresh for me. When I get bored I just set it down and come back to it later. Also if my thumbs/wrists start getting sore. Even with grips on my Vita, this game shreds my hands if I play too long. That's one other thing to think about.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

I could see them making like, King Dodongo unplayable. (let me play as him anyways! comeooooon)

But yeah, I really hope we get like, Darunia and Ruto as playable characters :allears:

At the very least we did see Midna and WolfLink so that's different. Also one of the badguys looks like Volvagia but in human form (and has a similar name) so who knows whats up there.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Static Rook posted:

Gonna go against what the other guy said and say DW8XLCE is worth getting on the Vita even with the lovely framerate. If you've ever played any PS2-era musou games it won't phase you a bit. The framedrops are noticeable, but I've never been killed or missed an objective due to them. It's like a modern day version of the NES slowdown when too much stuff is on screen.

IMO being able to pick up and play a few battles here and there is worth putting up with the dodgey framerate. I probably would've bailed on Ambition mode if I had to grind it out in front of a tv/monitor, but plucking away at it while watching a baseball game or something has kept it fresh for me. When I get bored I just set it down and come back to it later. Also if my thumbs/wrists start getting sore. Even with grips on my Vita, this game shreds my hands if I play too long. That's one other thing to think about.

Hmm, I guess what worries me is that I've played a shitload of Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate (JP version), and before it was patched it was almost unplayable for me. The game would not just drop frames regularly, it would stop entirely for 5-10 seconds whenever I did a musou attack and it was so aggravating I couldn't play it.

Then the patch came and now it's loving awesome and smooth as silk 98% of the time.

So I guess I'm wondering how close DW8XLCE is to the former, rather than the latter? If it's got those massive pauses and fire stages that play at 20% speed, no way can I deal. If it's a bit choppy with occasional slowdown, I can probably deal (which is what your description makes it sound like).

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jibo posted:

Eh they did it for Ken's Rage and Pirate Warriors so I wouldn't be surprised if they did it here.

Hell, they did it for the original Samurai Warriors.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Nice, DW8XLCE down to $36 for the steam summer sale. I'm still hoping for a flash sale or daily.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boogalo posted:

Nice, DW8XLCE down to $36 for the steam summer sale. I'm still hoping for a flash sale or daily.

Also, down to €20 on Vita and PS3 in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Speaking of, apparently an update just came down the pipes.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/278080/announcements/detail/1478619556801460043

Yes, you can use 6-star weapons in fusion now. Yes, they still look very silly.