Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Sounds like you're going to be doing a lot of the same stuff I did. The fluid changes and chain service are easy. Brakes aren't bad either.

I have been using Rotella-T diesel engine oil and it works great and is relatively cheap. I used Prestone and distilled water for coolant after flushing out the old stuff. Regular DOT4 for the brakes, same deal with flushing out the old fluid but it's a tad more complicated cuz you have to bleed them too.

I have been using kerosene and a "Grime Minister" chain brush every 600 miles for cleaning the chain and I lube it with some kind of white wax spray lube I got at Cycle Gear that is supposed to never fling off as long as you let it dry overnight. Seems to work fine but the chain only has a few thousand miles on it. Bit of a pain in the rear end sometimes but not difficult.

Hard to advise on what type of pads to choose. Personal preference and riding style are big factors. I put EBC HH pads on my fronts this year, and I like how they bite but they have to be hot. When I do the rears I'm going to use organics.

Skymall, I might be free on the 29th. Really want to try again to make that trip. I was in Broken Bow last weekend and it's pretty up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Spankydoodle posted:

I'd definitely appreciate the use of the stand until I get one of my own and perhaps a bit of guidance on the initial servicing. I'm also reading that I shouldn't replace the brake pads on both the front and rear wheels at the same time, so I may only do one for now. What are good brake pads to get?

I just did the standard organic pads from EBC, which is the OEM replacement/equivalent. Part numbers are FA229 and FA231 for the fronts and FA63 for the first gen for the rear. I have a set of the fronts sitting in my garage now because I intended to replace them when I got my bike and my front pads still had a lot of life left. You could also go with sintered pads but I don't have any experience with them, they work better on a track and may not work as well when you aren't braking enough to get them up to operating temperature.

You don't actually need a stand to do anything you're planning except general chain maintenance, which can be done by rolling the bike around though it's a bit of a pain in the rear end. A stand's only required if you're taking a wheel off to replace tires, replacing your chains/sprockets, or doing suspension work.

Alceste posted:

I have been using Rotella-T diesel engine oil and it works great and is relatively cheap. I used Prestone and distilled water for coolant after flushing out the old stuff. Regular DOT4 for the brakes, same deal with flushing out the old fluid but it's a tad more complicated cuz you have to bleed them too.

Skymall, I might be free on the 29th. Really want to try again to make that trip. I was in Broken Bow last weekend and it's pretty up there.

I use Rotella T6 it seems to work fine.

Hopefully we won't get rained out this time, rained at least a little almost every weekend lately.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
More people to ride with is bad-rear end. Hopefully I'll make the next ride. Oklahoma?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I wouldn't admit it in the other threads, where the consensus seems to be if you don't buy Pitbull stands your bike will fall over, but I got one of those cheap two-piece rear paddock stands when they were on sale for $40 at Cycle Gear and in combination with some cheap no-name spools, it works great for chain maintenance. I spin the wheel a lot during the cleaning part, with some trash bags underneath to catch the dripping kerosene, and at least for me that wouldn't be possible without a stand. One time prior to that I used my floor jack and a small piece of 1x6 under the engine to get the rear up in the air and that worked, but it wasn't nearly as stable as I would have liked.

We have enough SV's represented now to make a subgroup. Might be fun to meet up to talk about maintenance/tech and swap stories since we're all doing it ourselves. So far I've rebuilt the forks with stiffer springs and heavier oil, replaced the goddamn fork seals twice (my own fault), mounted new tires, rebuilt and resynced the carbs, replaced the chain and sprockets, replaced the levers, replaced all fluids and the front brake lines and pads, and have done few little mods like the turn signals and a homemade fender eliminator, which also made me have to retrofit a solid state flasher relay. I would be curious to know if you (MNS) have had things better or worse with your second gen and what all you had to do to it.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'd like to do that Oklahoma ride as well, but the temperatures are starting to get up there. I rode about 14 hours yesterday covering the 700mi between my dad's house and mine. About 75% of it at 95deg+. The first 8-10 hours were fine with proper gear, but holy poo poo did I start to hate life toward the end.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

I'd like to do that Oklahoma ride as well, but the temperatures are starting to get up there. I rode about 14 hours yesterday covering the 700mi between my dad's house and mine. About 75% of it at 95deg+. The first 8-10 hours were fine with proper gear, but holy poo poo did I start to hate life toward the end.

You get a different base layer or what're you wearing now? I meant to ask before if you had anything under the taichi coolride stuff because I had the ex officio underneath it and it made the whole thing pretty comfortable. I only did about 200 miles on Sunday but it wasn't too bad as long as I kept drinking fluids. Forecast.io says it'll be 87 on the 29th in Oklahoma(93 in Dallas), though at 12 days out they're probably full of poo poo. :v: I think if we wait much longer (or we get unlucky with the weather) it could be tough but I think it's still doable now.

Alceste posted:

I wouldn't admit it in the other threads, where the consensus seems to be if you don't buy Pitbull stands your bike will fall over, but I got one of those cheap two-piece rear paddock stands when they were on sale for $40 at Cycle Gear and in combination with some cheap no-name spools, it works great for chain maintenance. I spin the wheel a lot during the cleaning part, with some trash bags underneath to catch the dripping kerosene, and at least for me that wouldn't be possible without a stand. One time prior to that I used my floor jack and a small piece of 1x6 under the engine to get the rear up in the air and that worked, but it wasn't nearly as stable as I would have liked.

We have enough SV's represented now to make a subgroup. Might be fun to meet up to talk about maintenance/tech and swap stories since we're all doing it ourselves. So far I've rebuilt the forks with stiffer springs and heavier oil, replaced the goddamn fork seals twice (my own fault), mounted new tires, rebuilt and resynced the carbs, replaced the chain and sprockets, replaced the levers, replaced all fluids and the front brake lines and pads, and have done few little mods like the turn signals and a homemade fender eliminator, which also made me have to retrofit a solid state flasher relay. I would be curious to know if you (MNS) have had things better or worse with your second gen and what all you had to do to it.

I haven't tried to use a standard rear stand but what I've read makes it sound kind of awkward to set up by yourself. The Abba stand I have is really simple/safe to use as a 1-man operation, though a bit overkill for chain maintenance, I wouldn't have gotten it except that the first thing I wanted to do to my bike was lower it and a regular rear stand makes it a pain to take off the dogbones. I'm probably going to pick this up so that I can get the wheel off the ground on the road for plugging tires/chain maintenance on overnight rides.

So far I've just done basic stuff: brakes, oil, swap dogbones to lower rear, swapped the seat, checked the valves, swapped the mirrors/front indicators, replaced the levers, replaced the rearsets, throttle tube to R6, adjust all the cables.

My plans are: adjust valves (that has to happen this week basically), swap handlebars, swap windscreen, swap rear shock(ZX14R), rebuild front forks.

I also have a Givi top case to install this week but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
What is the temperature threshold that makes you love or hate life on a long ride? I have only taken relatively short rides in 90+ weather.

It is a little cooler up there, and I had hoped that leaving DFW in the morning and coming back in the evening would help us dodge the worst of it, but I also agree that very soon it's going to be too miserable to attempt it.

It was slightly scary using the rear stand by myself the first time, but it's nothing now. I position the stand under the spools (it only catches one, of course), put myself on the left side of the rear wheel, use the pillion handle to tilt the bike up slightly, use my foot to push the rear stand down until it engages the other spool, and then I push it the rest of the way down until it's stable.

I hadn't seen one of those PackJack things before but it's a clever idea and I like the fact that the demo video and instructions feature a first gen SV650. :toot: Looks like you'd only want to use it on the road or a level driveway, though. Seems like it would slip pretty easily on a garage floor.

How was the valve check for you? I am pretty sure mine are going to be fine but it's the only important spec/clearance that I haven't checked or adjusted yet. I would also like to know how the rear shock works for you. I've been considering that myself, being a fatass that weighs about twice as much as the rider Suzuki designed the bike for, and I have the preload cranked up. The stiffer front forks made a big difference for me so I wonder what I could expect from a new shock.

Have fun with that fork job. It was a messy and frustrating half day for me the first time, following the blue-hairded girl's write up for changing fork oil. The second time I had to change the fork seals it was a lot easier but still messy.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

What is the temperature threshold that makes you love or hate life on a long ride? I have only taken relatively short rides in 90+ weather.

How was the valve check for you? I am pretty sure mine are going to be fine but it's the only important spec/clearance that I haven't checked or adjusted yet. I would also like to know how the rear shock works for you. I've been considering that myself, being a fatass that weighs about twice as much as the rider Suzuki designed the bike for, and I have the preload cranked up. The stiffer front forks made a big difference for me so I wonder what I could expect from a new shock.

I've only been riding since October so this is about as hot as it's gotten for me. I'll say that coating myself head-to-toe in tech fabric has gone a long way to making everything more comfortable. I think a few times I've been out it's gotten hot enough where it feels like I'm riding through a blow dryer, I'm guessing that starts in the mid 90s and if it was going to be like that for more than an hour or so of the ride I'm not sure it'd be worth it for me as a fun thing to do. I'm still commuting to work every day on the bike right now though, but it's only about 8 miles.

The valve check wasn't so bad, I've done a lot of stuff on cars over the years but never mucked about with internals beyond a timing belt so it took me a lot of staring at diagrams to figure out what I was trying to accomplish with the valve check. All 4 of my exhaust valves were at the very bottom of the range which is why I want to get the adjustment done as soon as possible. I doubt I'm hurting anything at the moment but I don't want to push it to another interval before I get them all adjusted back out. The adjustment looks a lot trickier since I have to pull the cams off and make sure I don't gently caress up my timing and stuff, generally my experience is mechanical stuff is really easy if you just follow all the directions and keep track of everything you take off :v:. And you aren't afraid to buy exactly the tool you need. I end up with a lot of expensive one-off tools but I figure I'm still a little bit ahead of taking it to a mechanic and it's a lot less headache than trying to make do to save money.

I'm not totally sure what rear shock I want, I'm pretty light so the main reason I want to swap shocks is to get something more adjustable. The zx14 just happens to be the same length as the Gen 2 shock and is readily available on Ebay compared to other options. Also easier to install than GSXR ones.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

M. Night Skymall posted:

You get a different base layer or what're you wearing now? I meant to ask before if you had anything under the taichi coolride stuff because I had the ex officio underneath it and it made the whole thing pretty comfortable. I only did about 200 miles on Sunday but it wasn't too bad as long as I kept drinking fluids. Forecast.io says it'll be 87 on the 29th in Oklahoma(93 in Dallas), though at 12 days out they're probably full of poo poo. :v: I think if we wait much longer (or we get unlucky with the weather) it could be tough but I think it's still doable now.

I wore my RS Taichi Coolride base layer both top and bottom, this windbreaker thing that I normally rock in the winter https://www.motoliberty.com/prod_detail.asp?Prod_ID=2151, my face mask https://www.motoliberty.com/prod_detail.asp?Prod_ID=1914, and my olympia one piece suit without the liner. I had all of the vents closed when the temp rose above 93. For the last 80 minutes or so I took off the windbreaker jacket and opened up the vents on the jacket, but that actually seemed worse than my earlier experiments with the vents and the inner jacket *on*.

Because of the weather I also looked into Cool Shirt's offerings, but they seem a little pricey for a guy to own unless he's doing blistering hot runs on a regular basis.

Also as part of this ride I discovered that the F800GT vibration that so many people complain about is a serious thing that really hurts after 2kmi in a weekend. As such, I am kinda shopping to see what else is out there.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Also as part of this ride I discovered that the F800GT vibration that so many people complain about is a serious thing that really hurts after 2kmi in a weekend. As such, I am kinda shopping to see what else is out there.

It totally does not strike me as your kind of bike but buy an fz-09 anyway so I can admire it from afar. My wife's car kinda sucked up my new bike funds.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I have decided to embrace my 30th birthday and seriously consider dadbikes like the FJR1300ES.

I do like the FZ-09, but I don't think it will fulfill enough touring duty. And if I wanted a bike to play hooligan with, I have a line on a 690SMC soooooo.....

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

I have decided to embrace my 30th birthday and seriously consider dadbikes like the FJR1300ES.

I do like the FZ-09, but I don't think it will fulfill enough touring duty. And if I wanted a bike to play hooligan with, I have a line on a 690SMC soooooo.....

I forgot your dad had got a Ninja 1000 (from your other post). Why not get a Ninja 1000 ABS? I'm 33, you don't need a dad bike at 30. You aren't even married :v:.

The 2014 has all the electronic goodies like ABS/TC and it doesn't weigh 650 pounds, comes with optional integrated sidebags for sport touring and all that. I actually thought you were going to go with something more Adventure touring/dualsport like a Versys/tenere/tiger or something like that.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

I've ridden an '04 model FJR and the thing is like a rocket ship. Smooth and comfortable and glides along like the road wasn't even there.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Oh, he's got a 2013 with ABS. I was initially discarding it because I thought the range loving sucked. He said he was getting 35MPG, but Kawasaki says at least the 2014's get 41mpg. So maybe he's doing his math wrong. Looks like they also made 6th gear taller, like both of us complained about on his. Maybe that contributes to MPG as well.

I wish the electronics were a bit better on it. I've grown to love the TPMS and ambient temperature gauges on my BMW. Also ESA is rad for softening up the ride on the way to a destination then cranking up the stiffness for corner carving.

I do like the fact that it's a goddamn Kawasaki and I don't have to pay $gently caress to have someone change the oil on it. But I think it's kinda ugly, and they don't offer the 2014s in any colors that look good to me. I didn't like the look of the F800GT at first either, so maybe I need to test ride one of the 2014s to see what they're all about.

Skreemer posted:

I've ridden an '04 model FJR and the thing is like a rocket ship. Smooth and comfortable and glides along like the road wasn't even there.

It looks comfortable as hell with all those gadgets. But I'm not sure about the ability for me to pretend to be a MotoGP rider on the weekends. And the fact that it's 650 loving pounds and I would never be able to back it out of the most minor inclines.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Also, adventure bikes are rad as gently caress, but I need to see what the riding experience is like. Maybe I need to just relegate to dragging knee with the ninjette on trackdays and traveling with something else.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I've met LOTS of people who ADORE THE gently caress out of FJRs. It's on my short list of machines I've met .. countless people who own and never heard them say anything bad about.

That said, my 64 year old father is thinking about going from a '99 GS to a FJR. I'm not sure he will ever pull the trigger though, he loving loves his GS.

...I don't have to have a point.

You should be a Street Triple. They're great for touring if you don't mind not bringing your stuff with you. I tried bagging mine and it was miserable, then last trip I just brought a couple shirts and a change of pants. I bought all my toiletries, white clothes, and such at Wal-Mart for single use. Cost me about 30 bucks and I managed a 4 day ride out of a backpack. Best. Idea. Evuh!

So, yeah, STRIPLE!

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I wonder how old my kids will have to be before I can afford a dadbike.

Back on the topic of 93+ degree riding, if you had a choice between a solid leather jacket with mesh panels and zippered vents that doesn't fit because you lost a bunch of weight, and a jacket that does fit but is all perforated leather with no vents that can be closed, which would be better?

I re-read that article about hot weather touring and ventilation and I'm starting to wonder if I could handle a long ride like the Oklahoma route, if it's that hot out, with what I have to wear. I don't have funds to invest in a bunch of new gear or fancy base layer stuff. The house and the car have been picking my pockets all year.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

I wonder how old my kids will have to be before I can afford a dadbike.

Back on the topic of 93+ degree riding, if you had a choice between a solid leather jacket with mesh panels and zippered vents that doesn't fit because you lost a bunch of weight, and a jacket that does fit but is all perforated leather with no vents that can be closed, which would be better?

I re-read that article about hot weather touring and ventilation and I'm starting to wonder if I could handle a long ride like the Oklahoma route, if it's that hot out, with what I have to wear. I don't have funds to invest in a bunch of new gear or fancy base layer stuff. The house and the car have been picking my pockets all year.

My jacket's all perforated leather with no vents and it works pretty well for me. Keep in mind that unless the temperature spikes up it's not going to be over 93 for much if any of our ride. We'll be leaving at 8 so it'll be in the 80s then and heading into the "mountains" of OK where it'll also be in the 80s. Depending on when exactly we get back south into Texas it'll definitely heat up into the low 90s for the tail end of the ride but it should be brief. I think we should plan to do something like ride north early, stop for a snack before noon and then have a late lunch at like 2-4 during the hottest part of the day and then ride back, should minimize our time in temps over 90.

This is the first half of the route, so we'd basically try to stop in maybe Hugo? for a relatively quick break/snack and then eat a fairly late lunch in Mena. As an alternative we could ride to Mena, stop briefly and take some pictures to remember that we rode the whole route, and then go to The end of the trail saloon. It's a little out of our way but not much, we basically go back down the byway as planned, and then head north up 259 instead of south for 7 miles and we're there. Then we'd eat and head back south to start our route home. Adds about 15 miles I guess but it looks like a neat little biker place. I'm sure there're plenty of biker friendly eats in Mena though so either way.

Basically I'd like to be out of Texas before it gets hot, and not back in Texas until like 5pm so it's not so hot :v:. Long as we do that I think we can avoid much in the way of temps over 90. Still a long rear end ride though what's the longest you've done in a single day?

Whole route would look something like this, I think. Not sure what kuffs had in mind for going back but it's something like that, that includes the jog up to the end of the trail saloon.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
That is the route I was looking at, but going through Greenville instead of Bonham. We've already been through Bonham before. And this route gives people the opportunity to break off to more direct routes home as they desire.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Longest ride I've been on was about 6 hours, but it took that long because it was in cold and rain the entire time and I stopped several times to find ways to add layers. Longest ride in fair weather was about 5-5.5 hours, so I'm still pretty soft. I'm not worried about the length of the ride so much as my tendency to get dehydrated.

If we are going to be in the mid 80's for much/most of the time, I'll be fine I think. It was not uncomfortably warm in Broken Bow last weekend by any means, which is right on 259 there, north of Idabel, though it was humid. I have some cheap compression undergarments that seem to work well enough (tried em out the Saturday before we were supposed to go to OK) and I might bring along my ancient old Camelbak, which is very small as those things go.

I like the saloon idea.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

Longest ride I've been on was about 6 hours, but it took that long because it was in cold and rain the entire time and I stopped several times to find ways to add layers. Longest ride in fair weather was about 5-5.5 hours, so I'm still pretty soft. I'm not worried about the length of the ride so much as my tendency to get dehydrated.

If we are going to be in the mid 80's for much/most of the time, I'll be fine I think. It was not uncomfortably warm in Broken Bow last weekend by any means, which is right on 259 there, north of Idabel, though it was humid. I have some cheap compression undergarments that seem to work well enough (tried em out the Saturday before we were supposed to go to OK) and I might bring along my ancient old Camelbak, which is very small as those things go.

I like the saloon idea.

Looking at the weather for this weekend it is possible forecast.io is lying to me about the 29th. It's a high of 95 in Dallas this weekend and somehow a high of 93 on the 29th. Hopefully that's accurate. It looks to be maybe 3-4 degrees cooler in the mountainous area we'd be doing our riding in so that should help, and we should be sitting in an air conditioned restaurant during the hottest part of the day. My main concern is that it will rain. Apparently all it does is rain in OK/AR. It's raining all this weekend out until Tuesday at the moment. Maybe it'll get it out of its system and we'll have good weather. I guess on the plus side if the rain agrees to stay light instead of flooding the area it definitely won't be over 90 and we could still go.

My plan now is to pick up one of these neck cooling things from Motoliberty, then gear up at 2:30pm on Saturday and go for a ride and see if I die. Should be about 95.

As far as dehydration goes we rarely ride much more than an hour without stopping to drink/stretch, doubt that'll change any on this ride. Once we get into Hugo the ride breaks itself up pretty nicely into 60-80 mile chunks.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Saloon idea looks rad. Let's definitely patronize cool local joints.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
well I'll be out of state between the 27th and the 29th. If you all go for a run then, have fun and stay safe. Anyone have any plans for this Sunday?

Another way to beat the heat, if you have one of the "tech" shirts, soak it in cool water and wring it out real well between stops. It'll evap the water off and cool you a bit if you don't leave it dripping. (same idea as the neck cooler)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

well I'll be out of state between the 27th and the 29th. If you all go for a run then, have fun and stay safe. Anyone have any plans for this Sunday?

Another way to beat the heat, if you have one of the "tech" shirts, soak it in cool water and wring it out real well between stops. It'll evap the water off and cool you a bit if you don't leave it dripping. (same idea as the neck cooler)

My plan for this Sunday is to do my valve adjustment. If anyone wants to come hangout while I do that you're totally welcome :v:. I have a fairly complete set of tools if you need to get something done.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

M. Night Skymall posted:

My plan for this Sunday is to do my valve adjustment. If anyone wants to come hangout while I do that you're totally welcome :v:. I have a fairly complete set of tools if you need to get something done.

I might need to hit you up on this. I have to get a set of brake pads for the bike and get those on. If I can source pads today at one of the dealers, I'll let you know.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

I'd like to come as well! I ordered a Pit Bull stand but it won't get here until Monday. I wanted to do my oil change/radiator flush/brakes/chain cleaning. If you guys don't mind having a noob around that'd be awesome.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sure. Though I don't really have a clean container for coolant so try to pick something up for it if you can. Oil and brake fluid should be fine. More the merrier, having people around should motivate me to actually buckle down and do my valve adjustment. I don't have any experience with it so I keep procrastinating but it reallly needs to happen. I'm also installing new handle bars/stainless steel front brake lines/givi top case. Though I hope to get some of that done today/tomorrow.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Spankydoodle posted:

I'd like to come as well! I ordered a Pit Bull stand but it won't get here until Monday. I wanted to do my oil change/radiator flush/brakes/chain cleaning. If you guys don't mind having a noob around that'd be awesome.

It occurs to me after I wrote the above post that you may have trouble carrying oil, coolant, things to store oil and coolant, brake fluid, brake pads, etc. on your bike on the way to my house :v:. Probably better if you just bring like your brake pads and whatever else and then we can just plan to swing by autozone to pick up anything else in a car.

I'm up for whenever on Sunday, probably just get up and start hammering away at my bike, supposed to go out saturday but hopefully not too hungover. I'll pm/email you guys my address. Going to be hot as poo poo, though.

In other news I got my Givi case installed. A 46 liter case looks hilarious on an sv650 but oh well, having plenty of room for running errands on the bike is worth it, and it comes off pretty easily.

I was going to try to get the new clipons installed also but I haven't really looked up how to take the bars off and figured I'd figure out how that all works before I start just unbolting things from my triple tree. I kind of want to pick up some new grips to put on them anyway, maybe help with the vibration a little.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

I've got the oil, oil filter, coolant, brake fluid, brake pads, grunge brush, degreaser and chain lube. I think I can fit it all into my Kriega R25. I don't know what I should get to store the used coolant though, so maybe I can pick that up at AutoZone.

Look forward to Sunday!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Spankydoodle posted:

I've got the oil, oil filter, coolant, brake fluid, brake pads, grunge brush, degreaser and chain lube. I think I can fit it all into my Kriega R25. I don't know what I should get to store the used coolant though, so maybe I can pick that up at AutoZone.

Look forward to Sunday!

For old fluids I generally dump it into 2 liter bottles from soda or juice, just save the empties. Or if you have an old oil jug or two hanging about. Most of the quick lube places will take oil no worries (though some limit how much at one time you can turn in.) It's hit or miss on coolant though.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I've procured brake pads. Realized it's not Friday a little late. drat weird shift work screwing up my days.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 21, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
we doing a maintenance day? The striple needs a chain cleaning!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
if we can get an address, M Night Skymall offered space and tool usage tomorrow.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

PadreScout posted:

we doing a maintenance day? The striple needs a chain cleaning!

Yeah we're meeting up at my place to work on bieks.

What time do you guys want to meet up by the way? I'm going to start around 10 but I have a lot of crap to do so you guys are welcome to show up whenever really.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

if we can get an address, M Night Skymall offered space and tool usage tomorrow.

I emailed you at your username at gmail.com did you not get that?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
redacted

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 22, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

M. Night Skymall posted:

I emailed you at your username at gmail.com did you not get that?

I got it thanks, my sleep deprived brain was just not functioning properly. I had all sorts of things screwed up.

Of course it's raining and threatening thunderstorms most of the morning.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 22, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Hmmm, rain changes things somewhat. Unless the weather breaks I believe I will just stay in today.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Good news, I've figured out how to solve Texas' drought problems. I'll just keep planning motorcycle based activities and Texas'll be an inland sea in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
McKinney just tightened their water restrictions even more so someone around here apparently thinks the drought is still getting worse, despite all the rain you've been causing. I guess rain next weekend is a guarantee since that Oklahoma ride is on the calendar again.

I had no hope of going for a ride today, due to all the other stuff I had to do, and I couldn't even do those things because it was all outdoor work so I'm not really sure how to feel about how the day went. I worked on organizing closets at home instead. Woo hoo.

I still think I need to check my valves sometime. MNS did you get to do that job today? How did it go?

• Locked thread