Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I changed my mind and decided spending my allowance on a dead end wasn't a good idea after all. Instead I'm going to use it and all the money in my piggy bank and invest it in a suit tie combo so I can get a job with a salary attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Nolgthorn posted:

I changed my mind and decided spending my allowance on a dead end wasn't a good idea after all. Instead I'm going to use it and all the money in my piggy bank and invest it in a suit tie combo so I can get a job with a salary attached.

Good man

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nolgthorn posted:

You should buy a Wii U and a Pro Controller and then send me the Pro Controller.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm also becoming concerned about the eplay store, it doesn't even have mario galaxy in it, why not?

Because that's a Wii game. The Wii U has to be in Wii mode to run Wii games, which means it'll only run games off discs or the Wii Shopping Channel. Which is also why Wii downloads won't run without going into Wii mode.

Your best bet for Wii games is to buy the discs.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
PaletteSwappedNinja's (I think it's him) avatar comes to mind for some reason.

It's weird how the Wii U currently has the most exclusives yet gaming journalism keeps writing them off to focus on games coming out for both next-gen consoles and PC. E3 seems to have shifted the majority opinion a bit, but that's an image that'll take Nintendo a while to shake off, I guess.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

elf help book posted:

You should buy a Wii U and a Pro Controller and then send me the Pro Controller.

I'm thinking about doing a group buy in the thread for Japanese Wii U pro controllers so we can all save ten bux. What could go wrong?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
People keep talking about the Japanese Pro controllers from Amazon, and I'd be afraid they're counterfeits. Amazon is no stranger to listing knock off Nintendo stuff as if it's an official product.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Since that Target deal is coming up, I'm gonna get MK8, Super Mario 3D World, DKC tropical freeze, and use the MK8 code for NSMBros U. My favorite type of game is platformers, hence the choice of games. Anyone have a suggestion in what order to play the platformers?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Elliotw2 posted:

People keep talking about the Japanese Pro controllers from Amazon, and I'd be afraid they're counterfeits. Amazon is no stranger to listing knock off Nintendo stuff as if it's an official product.

Wait I thought they were from PlayAsia?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
"Made for tiny kids" is such a funny phrase. I guess it shouldn't be since "small children" is said too.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ChaosArgate posted:

People have been posting links to both. As has been said, I'd avoid the Amazon link because it just directs you to a bunch of third-party sellers. Not sure why that was ever suggested in the first place.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wii Fit U got an update today, in case anyone cares:

quote:

Adds a total of 24 new Fit Meter Challenge courses: 12 Walking Challenge, and 12 Climbing Challenge courses
Adds new headgear for your Mii character, unlocked by completing the new Walking Challenge and Climbing Challenge courses
Adds automatic progression between activities in My Routines, removing the need to use a Wii Remote or Wii U GamePad
Increases support for posting screenshots to Miiverse
Adds display of individual dates to the Graphs screen when viewing weight changes over one year
Adds ability to check altitude data in more detail from the Fit Meter Data screen
Introduces additional enhancements to improve the user’s experience and enjoyment

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Fremry posted:

Since that Target deal is coming up, I'm gonna get MK8, Super Mario 3D World, DKC tropical freeze, and use the MK8 code for NSMBros U. My favorite type of game is platformers, hence the choice of games. Anyone have a suggestion in what order to play the platformers?

So far I only have Mario Bros U out of those but its really fun. If you played the Wii version you know exactly what youre getting with that one though so if you want something new I'd try one of the others first.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh, Play-Asia I'd be fine with, they actually check the suppliers.

On platformers, a lot of people say they can't go back to NSMBU after playing 3D world, so you might want to start there.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Interesting. I need to exercise some more so maybe Ill pick it up again.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Minidust posted:

People have been posting links to both. As has been said, I'd avoid the Amazon link because it just directs you to a bunch of third-party sellers. Not sure why that was ever suggested in the first place.

What's the shipping on these at play Asia? $25 for a pro is cheap.

Brasseye posted:

So far I only have Mario Bros U out of those but its really fun. If you played the Wii version you know exactly what youre getting with that one though so if you want something new I'd try one of the others first.

I played the DS one and enjoyed it. I hear that DK TR gets really difficult. I have no issue with difficulty if it doesn't feel cheap.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fremry posted:

Someone said earlier that shipping was like $20.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Fremry posted:

I checked the other day and the shipping (to U.S.) was like $15 for one controller or $18 if you bought two :/

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does MK8 support local and online play at the same time? I'm wondering cause my girlfriend and I would definitely love to play with two friends of ours who live half way across the country.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Wildtortilla posted:

Does MK8 support local and online play at the same time? I'm wondering cause my girlfriend and I would definitely love to play with two friends of ours who live half way across the country.

Yes, but if you're playing online you can only have two local players. If it's offline you can have up to four, of course.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yes, but if you're playing online you can only have two local players. If it's offline you can have up to four, of course.

Perfect! Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm so pumped for the Wii U + NSMBU + NSLBU deal at target this weekend. I'm planning to pick up MK8 + 3D World + something, then redeeming MK8 for Pikmin 3. I love Donkey Kong Country for SNES, but I think with all those Mario games I have my play forming needs secured. What are some other recommendations for the free game from Target?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don't suppose this or a previous update will mean it won't build you routines that require hardware you don't have? That's the only thing about the software I don't like. Don't have two MP Wiimotes? Main mode of the software doesn't work.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Sweet, I really hope this fixes the "back in time" glitch that stops me from doing full check ins, I want to play those little balance games and get a Fit Age, damnit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wild Knight posted:

PIt's weird how the Wii U currently has the most exclusives yet gaming journalism keeps writing them off to focus on games coming out for both next-gen consoles and PC. E3 seems to have shifted the majority opinion a bit, but that's an image that'll take Nintendo a while to shake off, I guess.

The greatest crime Sega ever committed was convincing everyone that Nintendo was for kiddies. No matter what Nintendo publishes, they can't slip that reputation.

My point being, it's been more than twenty years. I think we passed "a while" about a decade ago.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I think the Wii Fit U gym has been down to two goons for a few months. Glad I'll have some more walking courses after I finish the last one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'll have to start wearing my fit meter again now there are more courses.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Random Stranger posted:

The greatest crime Sega ever committed was convincing everyone that Nintendo was for kiddies. No matter what Nintendo publishes, they can't slip that reputation.

My point being, it's been more than twenty years. I think we passed "a while" about a decade ago.

Well, Nintendo is basically a toy company aimed at kids. They protect kids from creeps the best they can and most of their games are designed in a way that little kids will go crazy about. They're also drat good at making games so fun that anyone from a literal child to a literal 20something goon to a grandma can enjoy. There's nothing wrong with their "soft" approach to videogames but it's a shame when idiot "journalists" decide Nintendo makes babby games for babby consoles and there's no reason to enjoy that when there are big serious next gen games around.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
For anyone that recently bought a refurb Wii U, check the actual order details for the status. On the list of recent orders, mine says "Order Processing", but I clicked on the order hyperlink and it shipped last night and has the tracking info. I also did not receive an e-mail about it shipping.

Edit:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Well, Nintendo is basically a toy company aimed at kids. They protect kids from creeps the best they can and most of their games are designed in a way that little kids will go crazy about. They're also drat good at making games so fun that anyone from a literal child to a literal 20something goon to a grandma can enjoy. There's nothing wrong with their "soft" approach to videogames but it's a shame when idiot "journalists" decide Nintendo makes babby games for babby consoles and there's no reason to enjoy that when there are big serious next gen games around.

I think this will change as the "millennial" generation ages. As we get older, starts families, etc. I can see us embracing the soft approach to video games. We're the Nintendo generation, that as children made them a household name, we strayed away as we became teens and college kids, but I see that changing again as we become full fledged adults with families.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 18, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Preaching to the converted but Mario Kart 8 is like 100 times more fun than almost all of the self serious 'AAA' titles Ive played in the last few years.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Fremry posted:

For anyone that recently bought a refurb Wii U, check the actual order details for the status. On the list of recent orders, mine says "Order Processing", but I clicked on the order hyperlink and it shipped last night and has the tracking info. I also did not receive an e-mail about it shipping.

I just checked mine and it says backordered. :(
I ordered last Sunday and haven't received any email updates.
Goddammit.
On the actual store page it says they expect to be shipping again the week of the 23rd.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I care, because I literally just got home from finding it on clearance! :smug:

YMMV, but I had to pick something up at Walmart, and the Walmart I was at was seriously clearancing out certain titles to "make more room," so I picked up the full Wii Fit U box for way cheaper than just the game/pedometer. So, if anyone is looking for the game, that might be an option!

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Kilometers Davis posted:

Generally I think all the non-nintendo titles are for little babby kids. "Batman Arkham Asylum" yea I bet Steve Jobs, Donald Trump and Bill Gates sit down for a rousing game of that whenever they get the chance before borrowing money from their parents to buy a super sized bag of cheetos. Nintendo games on the other hand I feel do wield a certain level of distinction. I in fact can see some of those guys playing wii tennis, I mean I think they already have.

The thing about kids is that they want to feel like they are adults, so that's why PS4/Xbone are marketed as though those are "adult" consoles.

While walking out the door to buy that suit and tie I punched myself in the face, then changed the destination on Google Maps then bought a Wii U with Mario Kart and Nintendoland. It's sitting in front of me right now plugged into the tv.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 18, 2014

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The biggest problem with the other "next-gen" consoles is that they don't do a anything a PC doesn't already do better with basically the same catalog of games.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

katkillad2 posted:

I've seen this suggested several times as a good Wii game so I got it in from Gamefly and yea it's pretty great. Looks pretty amazing for a Wii game.

Does anyone know, should I be going directly for the best sword or will I have made most of the swords by the time I finish the game?

I've been playing Muramasa on the Vita lately, which I'm pretty sure is just a port of the Wii version with jump mapped to a button. I haven't finished it so my advice may be completely stupid, but I feel like it's been a good idea to forge lots and lots of swords. The way the chart is laid out actually requires you forge every blade in order to get the best sword, since all the branches of the chart combine at the bottom into one, but forging swords as I level up to keep my attack power as high as possible at all times has served me well regardless.

I recommend eating lots of food whenever you pass a tea house, even if your HP is full. I ignored them for awhile because they're almost always right next to a save point, but their real use is to fill up your spirit, so the only thing restricting your ability to forge new swords is your souls.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can you use a non-wiimote plus wiimote for Mario Kart 8?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fremry posted:

Out of all of those platformers I'd probably play Rayman Legends first.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spacebump posted:

I think the Wii Fit U gym has been down to two goons for a few months. Glad I'll have some more walking courses after I finish the last one.

Every time I go on it's me and one other guy.

But I met my weight goal, which owned. Lost the 20 lbs I gained from being unemployed for a long rear end time

EDIT: How do I make it update? UPDATE GAME!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 18, 2014

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Every time I go on it's me and one other guy.

But I met my weight goal, which owned. Lost the 20 lbs I gained from being unemployed for a long rear end time

That guy is probably me. Congrats on the weight loss, this game helped me loose a lot of weight as well. The Fit Meter makes it so much better than regular Wii Fit.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Yes, I did this the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

GreenNight posted:

Yes you can. I'm pretty sure that every game that requires Motion plus will have it marked somewhere on the box as well.

• Locked thread