Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Is there any other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

Is there any other?

Pfft kids these days. QuakeNET above all else.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Ok that's fair, given this website's history (but man, that's ancient history).

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I remember it like yesterday.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
When's the next goon DCS game? I want to shittily pilot some A10's

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
I can't wait to get a stick in 4 weeks. Sucks I have to wait that long, but baby first :(. Can't wait to get in on some goon action.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Tutorial starting now.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Tutorial starting now.

Twitch feed?

Cause watching goons crash could be funny :)

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
And is there going to be another dcs world freebie fun night? I got a shitbag sidewinder with broken buttons, but can still manage to fly, barely lol.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Wh1plash posted:

And is there going to be another dcs world freebie fun night? I got a shitbag sidewinder with broken buttons, but can still manage to fly, barely lol.

DCS pick up games happen weekly or so. There was talk in IRC tonight about getting a game going, but I'm not sure if they actually went through with it.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Well, that was a lot of fun. Learned some new buttons, show down several things, talked to guys. Evaded a SAM! All in all, very successful.
Vaha seems to think that I can :f5: well enough to fly in the campaign, so I might see you folks tomorrow, depending on how stuff lines up for me. Hopefully I can crash and burn gloriously and set up my radios right.

Edit: Question though. If I lock up a guy with A-A and MRMs selected, but no indexer pops up and I can't find a target box, does that just mean he is too far out of range for it to even appear? Had that happen a couple times. I locked a MiG or something and got no indication of where he was or if I could shoot him.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
How did Michael do? Lost power! He seemed to be handling it decent! Hopefully my teaching was okay

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 18, 2014

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Thunderstorm dun got my internet. Looks like in headed home, my tour is over. Posting from my phone. Sorry :(

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Top Hats Monthly posted:

How did Michael do? Lost power! He seemed to be handling it decent! Hopefully my teaching was okay

IceLicker posted:

Thunderstorm dun got my internet. Looks like in headed home, my tour is over. Posting from my phone. Sorry :(

We are brothers

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
SCE to AUX.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Good night of training. After I got my controls sorted back out again, (that keyfile is a bitch) I managed to actually hit some Migs, and land safely. Gypsy 6 for life. Hopefully I can join some campaign funness tomorrow.

Mori
Mar 6, 2003

Wh1plash posted:

The wife may strangle me but thats how I was leaning. X-55 looks pretty, but I've seen people with issues. Wondering if its isolated incidents, or common problems. Its been mostly key ghosting, or keystrokes not saving properly through the Saitek software. Other thing I've heard is the X-55 not working in BMS. Just wondering if Goons had one and had issues with it. Especially with it being a Benji or two cheaper

I just wanted to chip in that I went from X-52 to Warthog literally this week and it's such an amazing step up that I don't have even a single regret about it. Like you I was also considering the X-55 but was turned off by some poor reviews on Amazon, the apparent plastic construction and the lack of a two-stage trigger. The last is especially ridiculous given that the X-52 has one.

My thinking in the end was that if I was going to spend $200 on a HOTAS, then upping it to $400 for something I will likely be able to use forever doesn't seem that unreasonable. The lack of twist rudder gave me pause as well, but I've honestly had little trouble using the keyboard for rudder in the A-10. I won't be going near the Huey until I can get some pedals though, obviously.

Anyway, that is my experience and I just wanted to let you know that I whole-heartedly recommend going the whole hog on this. Sorry. That was awful.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mori posted:

I just wanted to chip in that I went from X-52 to Warthog literally this week and it's such an amazing step up that I don't have even a single regret about it. Like you I was also considering the X-55 but was turned off by some poor reviews on Amazon, the apparent plastic construction and the lack of a two-stage trigger. The last is especially ridiculous given that the X-52 has one.

Crap. Yeah, I was looking at the X-55 and those reviews on Amazon are bloody awful. I guess I need to save up for the Hog, but the lack of twist rudder is painful, suggesting that I'll need pedals as well for the eggbeater. The center laxness/deadzone/wiggle on the X-52 is starting to get annoying.

Can't say that I've actually used the two-stage trigger for anything serious, myself.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
So ED is having a flash sale for another 10 hours, but rumor has it steam summer sale 2014 starts tomorrow. I want the helos. This is a toughie.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Snaxx posted:

So ED is having a flash sale for another 10 hours, but rumor has it steam summer sale 2014 starts tomorrow. I want the helos. This is a toughie.

I don't think the timing is coincidental, personally. I suspect that they're pre-empting the Steam sale, and if they don't get on that, they'll be robbing themselves.

Pure rampant 'out-of-rear end' speculation there.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Mori posted:

My thinking in the end was that if I was going to spend $200 on a HOTAS, then upping it to $400 for something I will likely be able to use forever doesn't seem that unreasonable. The lack of twist rudder gave me pause as well, but I've honestly had little trouble using the keyboard for rudder in the A-10. I won't be going near the Huey until I can get some pedals though, obviously.

Anyway, that is my experience and I just wanted to let you know that I whole-heartedly recommend going the whole hog on this. Sorry. That was awful.

Thanks man. This is pretty much what I was looking for. I was reading people's posts on the BMS forum about their issues, but this was a nice push in the Warthog direction. Just have to wait a couple weeks. Baby kills the gamer funds :P

Wh1plash fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 18, 2014

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Wh1plash posted:

Thanks man. This is pretty much what I was looking for. I was reading people's posts on the BMS forum about their issues, but this was a nice push in the Warthog direction. Just have to wait a couple weeks. Baby kills the gamer funds :P

If your primary use for the joystick is BMS, then it's also worth noting that you basically never need to use rudder in that game. Its primary use in BMS is taxiing and you can change the game to use roll for NWS instead of rudder.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
It will be for BMS/DCS.

Edit: I've actually watched that rudder use in dogfights does make a big a difference, I'll see if I can find it again. Someone did a comparison vid about it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
MS Campaign continues in five hours and 15 minutes at 9pm EST, 6pm PST.

I am going to run the server for a least an hour. Most likely more. So showing up late is okay and you will still get to fly.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQrRyx_-5lk

why rudder pedals matter

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

I am going to run the server for a least an hour. Most likely more. So showing up late is okay and you will still get to fly.

Sweet! Can't wait to shoot down balooganshoot down some North Koreans!

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, the thing is, that's not a situation that's likely to come up in BMS. If you do actually wind up in a dogfight with a MiG-29 right behind you (you probably won't, you'll probably die way before that), he's not going to chase you around with guns, he's going to put a heater into you and you're going to die.

I'm not saying it's a situation that will never come up, and I'm not saying the rudder is useless in BMS, but in typical gameplay you're not really going to need it. Most of the air combat in BMS is BVR and the plane auto-coordinates turns for you. I'd say that pedals are something you will probably want eventually, but not absolutely critical to flying and being effective in BMS. Basically, if you're looking at the Warthog, don't worry about not having rudder control for a little while if you're going to mostly be playing BMS.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 18, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

Will be there!

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Roshnak posted:

Yeah, the thing is, that's not a situation that's likely to come up in BMS. If you do actually wind up in a dogfight with a MiG-29 right behind you (you probably won't, you'll probably die way before that), he's not going to chase you around with guns, he's going to put a heater into you and you're going to die.

I'm not saying it's a situation that will never come up, and I'm not saying the rudder is useless in BMS, but in typical gameplay you're not really going to need it. Most of the air combat in BMS is BVR and the plane auto-coordinates turns for you. I'd say that pedals are something you will probably want eventually, but not absolutely critical to flying and being effective in BMS. Basically, if you're looking at the Warthog, don't worry about not having rudder control for a little while if you're going to mostly be playing BMS.

True, its not high on my list, but it will come into play on occasion.

I'd probably get a trackir before pedals

Wh1plash fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 18, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
IL-2 BOS is slated to come out on the next few months, you'll want pedals for that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Which is a better priority for me, kind Goons: I've currently got a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3d pro, and its got a little bit of give/wear in the twist and X/Y axis, but it works fine for everything but DCS: Huey.

Should I save for and buy a :

X-52 and use the superior twist to make do with the Huey

90 buck rudder pedals and ride this stick til it dies, and use the rudder for super helicopter flying hooray Vietnam

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Which is a better priority for me, kind Goons: I've currently got a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3d pro, and its got a little bit of give/wear in the twist and X/Y axis, but it works fine for everything but DCS: Huey.

90 buck rudder pedals and ride this stick til it dies, and use the rudder for super helicopter flying hooray Vietnam

Edit: read it wrong, thought you had an x-52.

Wh1plash fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 19, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

The X52 will be a different world in any game requiring buttons, like BMS.

pedals are the poo poo if you are only looking for the chopper, but if you play other things, X52 is your bet.
Many people fly Choppers with twist just fine.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Do you have a trackir or similar? In my opinion trackir is the 2nd thing I would get if I already have a somewhat decent joystick. Then a HOTAS and rudder pedals last.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah I've got a Track IR setup, and been using it extensively. I'll weigh my choices a bit, Im not gonna be making the purchase for a long time anyways. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to work the X-52 and Huey well enough to make-do without pedals, as that stick/HOTAS is appealing as gently caress.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
you guys should fly using trackir, use your head to steer.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Get a set of pedals now. Later on, you can upgrade to a HOTAS and none of the higher end ones have twist

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Hav posted:

The center laxness/deadzone/wiggle on the X-52 is starting to get annoying.

You can use a big washer to fix that, or anything that fits around the shaft:

Hav posted:

Can't say that I've actually used the two-stage trigger for anything serious, myself.

I sometimes use the first stage trigger in DCS to flash the TGP's laser pointer in my wingman's face during night missions.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 19, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
BMS Campaign goes up in 30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
Twitch feed for it?