Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The MSJ posted:

It looks like it's taking elements from various incarnations. Bumblebird is using a Camaro-like car mode while that fire truck bird resembles one of the character Rescue Bot characters.

Looking at the firetrucks breast shield I thought it was a Perceptor expy. But yeah, he has what looks like a fire helmet. Inferno?
That green bird is Grimlock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth TNT posted:

A cross over between the two (GIJoe/Transformers) in their current incarnations would be the loudest, most explodiest summer blockbuster movie ever. :magical: Only Michael Bay should be allowed to make such a movie.

That's the most patriotic idea I've ever heard.

I'm super pumped, I got my ticket, which means I'm only 9 days away from seeing all of the explosions on the biggest screen.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Well, holy poo poo. The dialog from Lockdown in this TV spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0F2Ibpwv2E

:stare:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lockdown sounds like he's talking about Quintessons.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Milky Moor posted:

Well, holy poo poo. The dialog from Lockdown in this TV spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0F2Ibpwv2E

:stare:

This film is easily going to make more than Pacific Rim & Godzilla (2014) combined. :stare:

VaLiancY
Dec 25, 2007
Late Registration
Lockdown is really growing on me.:fap: Sideswipe and DotM Megatron were my favorite designs but Lockdown is surely taking the #1 spot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yet another TV spot. This one has more Hound talking, a better look at Drift and Crosshairs, an non-mechanical alien, and dancing Autobots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_GvZCJ9O1I

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It only just occurred to me that Hound looks like Bulkhead. A few bits of Lockdown-based speculation: What if Lockdown isn't from Cybertron? He seems to view himself separately to Optimus and his kin. Those orange bits on Lockdown's arms also look somewhat fleshy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Best gif I can find of the dancing.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
If you're familiar with the "Everything Wrong With..." youtube series, they've done one on Revenge of the Fallen. It's a long one.

(If you're not familiar, it's a webseries where a guy goes through rapid-fire clips from a movie and points out all the plotholes, continuity errors, bad storytelling, and things like that.)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Leospeare posted:

If you're familiar with the "Everything Wrong With..." youtube series, they've done one on Revenge of the Fallen. It's a long one.

(If you're not familiar, it's a webseries where a guy goes through rapid-fire clips from a movie and points out all the plotholes, continuity errors, bad storytelling, and things like that.)

Nice, I watch them once in a blue moon when I remember they exist. This should be amusing.
Just a piece of advice, while generally very entertaining don't watch the Frozen one. While they have a few good points, most of the points are just wrong and completely missing the point of the movie. :(

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Leospeare posted:

These tend to be really, really bad. It's not just plotholes and continuity errors and bad storytelling - not that ROTF doesn't have those in spades! - but it's also, usually, a bunch of stuff that the people making them just says 'this is bad'.

Like how a 'sin' is that Transformers need to see actual cars to assume their form and that they can't do it from a picture or how a 'sin' is agreeing with the government guy who says that the military operation in Shanghai was pretty poor or that the robots speak English or flat out ignoring things from the film so they can add another 'ding' to the counter.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Milky Moor posted:

These tend to be really, really bad. It's not just plotholes and continuity errors and bad storytelling - not that ROTF doesn't have those in spades! - but it's also, usually, a bunch of stuff that the people making them just says 'this is bad'.

Like how a 'sin' is that Transformers need to see actual cars to assume their form and that they can't do it from a picture or how a 'sin' is agreeing with the government guy who says that the military operation in Shanghai was pretty poor or that the robots speak English or flat out ignoring things from the film so they can add another 'ding' to the counter.

Well, I think it errs more on the side of jokes than in-depth cinema analysis. It is just a youtube series, after all.

The point about the government guy is valid, though. Terry went more in-depth into this in the previous thread, but the movie clearly wants you to agree that he's wrong about the Autobots being dangerous and destructive, when he's pretty objectively right.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Leospeare posted:

Well, I think it errs more on the side of jokes than in-depth cinema analysis. It is just a youtube series, after all.

Nah, you're giving them way too much credit. There's a certain group of nerds who adore criticising things and love appearing smart but don't understand how to criticise something. 'Devastator doesn't suck up Sam Witwicky' isn't a joke, it's someone who didn't even watch the film trying to appear smart about it. And even if they're jokes, they're so incredibly low-brow, boring and mainstream that there's just no humor.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Nice, I watch them once in a blue moon when I remember they exist. This should be amusing.
Just a piece of advice, while generally very entertaining don't watch the Frozen one. While they have a few good points, most of the points are just wrong and completely missing the point of the movie. :(

Here is a superior analysis of everything wrong with Frozen:

http://everythingwrongwithfrozen.tumblr.com/

edit:
Actual response to Cinema Sins stuff. This was actually published a month or so before Cinema Sins' Jurassic Park video.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 18, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The MSJ posted:

This is only slightly disappointing because I was expecting dancing dinobots.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

edit:
Actual response to Cinema Sins stuff. This was actually published a month or so before Cinema Sins' Jurassic Park video.

Also, Rian Johnson saw the video they made for Looper and hated it (for the obvious, correct reasons) and they apparently made a Twitter account just to suck up to him.

edit: That video is so bad, it's worse than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and RotF is a godawful movie.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 18, 2014

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Wait, people take that sin counter seriously? After going halfway through my first viewing of a video of theirs(the Room) I realized that it was just stupid. I mostly just watch them for the occasional weird omission or error. Hence why I only watch them when I remember they exist.
I expect a lot of silly nitpickings for the revenge of the fallen.

The MSJ posted:

edit:

:aaa: They pointed out errors I never even realized were there.

And yes, that article is completely right. They're not reviewing, they're not criticizing and they're not analyzing. Anyone watching Cinemasins for that purpose probably shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on movies in general. They're pointing out silly mistakes, but occasionally they forget that and try to deliver criticism except that they aren't very good at that. Hence why I disliked their video on Frozen. :shrug: I want to see silly things like CG guys falling into nothingness, trucks driving themselves (Twilight, not Transformers) or chalkboards that have backwards writing. :)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

I want to see silly things like CG guys falling into nothingness, trucks driving themselves (Twilight, not Transformers) or chalkboards that have backwards writing. :)

Those can be fun, yup. And there's a few of their videos that are really good at that. But like Rian Johnson said, their stuff feels really mean-spirited (eg: 'Transformers apologists'). The best criticism comes from being able to look at things you honestly, truly enjoy through a critical lens. Angry, cynical nitpicking is so overdone that it's basically a nerd Youtube fad, but the only people I can think who do it reasonably well are the Red Letter Media guys - because they do it through a character (Plinkett) and know a fair bit about film and film production but also because they genuinely like Star Wars and Star Trek.

That's just how I see it. The headline of that article, that nitpicking isn't criticism, is right on the money.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

The MSJ posted:

I can't get over how Hound's(?) stomach bounces when he dances.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fat Lou posted:

I can't get over how Hound's(?) stomach bounces when he dances.

Just remember that the visual effects team said that their computers almost got wrecked trying to render Revenge of The Fallen. Now computers are powerful enough to safely render bouncing robot bellies.

I think it looks better than the fat Nascar Wrecker's belly in DOTM too.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Just remember that the visual effects team said that their computers almost got wrecked trying to render Revenge of The Fallen. Now computers are powerful enough to safely render bouncing robot bellies.

I think it looks better than the fat Nascar Wrecker's belly in DOTM too.

How does a robot get fat anyways?

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

notaspy posted:

Too many bytes??

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

notaspy posted:

He always takes the universal serial bus instead of walking.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

notaspy posted:

Why exercise when you can drive everywhere?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Everything Wrong With..." and "Honest Trailers" are basically Coles Notes versions of the Internet's criticisms. You could travel around to several different sites, forums, comment sections, and threads or you can watch one of those videos and be sure you haven't missed any of the arguments that are repeated everywhere.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Lobok posted:

"Everything Wrong With..." and "Honest Trailers" are basically Coles Notes versions of the Internet's criticisms. You could travel around to several different sites, forums, comment sections, and threads or you can watch one of those videos and be sure you haven't missed any of the arguments that are repeated everywhere.

Oh come on, if you're looking for intelligence or insight you're taking them too seriously, and you "probably shouldn't be allowed to have opinions on movies in general".

Just relax and listen to whiny nerds throwing whiny baby temper tantrums about dumb nerd poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is only slightly disappointing because I was expecting dancing dinobots.
They're saving that for a post-credits scene.

CinemaSins is total unfunny spergfest garbage, but Honest Trailers can be pretty entertaining. Their "honest trailer" for Pacific Rim is spot-on and loving hilarious, and this is coming from someone who loved the movie.

VaLiancY
Dec 25, 2007
Late Registration
Transformers 5 is greenlit for 2016. Christ, that summer is going to be fun.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
World premiere in Hong Kong streaming live right now: https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/transformers-4/

They had some pre-taped interviews earlier, it's now the Imagine Dragons concert.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VaLiancY posted:

Transformers 5 is greenlit for 2016. Christ, that summer is going to be fun.

Summers of 2015 and 2016 are so loving packed holy poo poo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hasbro's original plan for a 2017 release was better. As I already said, it will also be the 10-year anniversary of Bayformers.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

HiriseSoftware posted:

World premiere in Hong Kong streaming live right now: https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/transformers-4/

They had some pre-taped interviews earlier, it's now the Imagine Dragons concert.

I was there. Two and a half hours waiting in a packed crowd in hot and humid weather for a sub 1 minute intro by Marky Mark and Li Bingbing then another wait for Imagine Dragons to play their 45 minute set. At least the tickets were free. I also saw Kelsey Grammer and Michael Bay in the VIP tent drinking champagne.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Optimus is looking like such a villain on those posters

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lady Galaga posted:

I was there. Two and a half hours waiting in a packed crowd in hot and humid weather for a sub 1 minute intro by Marky Mark and Li Bingbing then another wait for Imagine Dragons to play their 45 minute set. At least the tickets were free. I also saw Kelsey Grammer and Michael Bay in the VIP tent drinking champagne.

Well.

Was it a good movie?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I was there for the concert only, they really should've just played the movie when all the people were waiting rather than play some stupid DJ

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I saw the movie and not the concert. Shouldn't say much, but it was fun. A bit long. It was really two movies fused together. The new robots are mostly interesting but they paid Ken Watanabe 3 million dollars to be such a stereotype (he literally says "you rack a disaprine") that just made me embarrassed for everyone.

There's also some really hamfisted propaganda that was obviously conditional for approval by the Chinese government. Not sure if people who don't live here will notice it though.

Marky Mark is way more fun than Shia though and I look forward to the other two movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Man. I love Bay, but his obsession with racial humor is so bad. It was Ok in Bad Boys, but just poo poo in everything else. I'd rather he'd do fart and poop jokes over racial poo poo.

Oh well. I have a feeling it's going to be like Dark of the Moon where it's a pretty cool movie wrapped up in a lovely one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What if the racial humor directed at the Japanese is part of the Chinese-mandated propaganda element? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Bloodnose posted:

I saw the movie and not the concert. Shouldn't say much, but it was fun. A bit long. It was really two movies fused together.

Is Galvatron the humans' bitch the entire movie? You may use spoiler tags in your answer!