Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Oh Hey whats this in your My Pictures folder on your work laptop? Is that your wife? Wow...Flexible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Billy the Mountain posted:

Oh Hey whats this in your My Pictures folder on your work laptop? Is that your wife? Wow...Flexible...

What brought you to this picture?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Renegret posted:

We had one legendary fuckup here who once pasted his entire cover letter into a ticket's work log.

He quietly closed that ticket and it managed to slip by management without anyone important noticing. However, it's a legend that's been passed down through the generations here, even I've seen the ticket even though he left for unrelated reasons years before I was ever hired.

After all these years, it's still funny.

We once had one of the service managers (basically someone that manages non-technical issues for a customer) paste a few lines from his sex chat into a ticket once. Now THAT was fun.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

The Electronaut posted:

DT you don't report to the CEO do you? If not, why isn't your boss or your some one in your chain calling bullshit on this manchild?

My bosses are part of the problem. :toot:

As for being warned about getting fired I think it's because she believes I will help her get a handle on everything on my way out the door, as opposed to grabbing my bag and saying "BYEEEEEE!" which is what I will be doing. I'm not going to stand here with a cardboard box in my arms while giving her a primer on all of my vendor relationships, contracts, projects, open issues, etc.

Despite my long record of work misery I've never been fired, because I actually do good work. I'm super frustrated by how this place got so strange and terrible.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

Despite my long record of work misery I've never been fired, because I actually do good work. I'm super frustrated by how this place got so strange and terrible.

Did this all start when you moved to the new office and fought not to be put in a closet? I seem to remember you saying you stepped on some toes there.

Not that it excuses their behavior.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Sickening posted:

What brought you to this picture?

Replacing old laptop with new one. Doing a search for all standard file types is S.O.P. here just in case the user placed poo poo on the root or outside the normal My Documents folders.

It's not my fault the search window was set to thumbnails when I searched for *.jpg

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

My bosses are part of the problem. :toot:

As for being warned about getting fired I think it's because she believes I will help her get a handle on everything on my way out the door, as opposed to grabbing my bag and saying "BYEEEEEE!" which is what I will be doing. I'm not going to stand here with a cardboard box in my arms while giving her a primer on all of my vendor relationships, contracts, projects, open issues, etc.

Nthing the "get a lawyer" part. Preferably one that'd work on a contingency basis. Hopefully if your employer is big enough, the thought of contingency might make financial sense for the lawyers. If not, get a handle on flat fees - and check your state and/or the office's municipality or vicinage for any and all cases involving them. Chances are there's some kind of search engine. Maybe they're employment-related, maybe not, but if they have a history of settling it might give you an idea of a lawyer's willingness to take the case.

Also definitely don't resign - make them terminate you, and hang on to any items of your job description that exist. Along with a copy of the DirecTV tech's paperwork - that way when they try to hide behind "other duties as needed" clause should they contest your unemployment, you can pull some papers and ask them where the lectrician's experience and background came in.

It's sad to see the original podster was pulled out of the Matrix so much as of late - if you need a crashpad while hunting for jobs in northern NJ/NYC, lemme know.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dick Trauma posted:

"This is a publicly traded company with over $1B in assets. No one's employment should hinge on the CEO's mood."

Laughing pretty hard at this statement.

Also, it's absurd on its face. What if a de-orbited satellite crashed through the closet and took out this box, would you be responsible then? What if a plumbing leak hosed down the entire thing and killed it? What if a loving low flying plane knocked the antenna off the building?

It's unreasonable for someone to put you in charge of anything on Monday and then expect 100% uptime support two days later. I don't care if it's DirectTV or the loving Keurig in the breakroom.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
No ones employment should hinge on DirectTV poo poo working. They are an awful service, no better than Comcast, Time Warner, or any of the other cable providers that people love to complain about.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Gunjin posted:

No ones employment should hinge on DirectTV poo poo working. They are an awful service, no better than Comcast, Time Warner, or any of the other cable providers that people love to complain about.

No one's employment should hinge on any single thing not working that isn't 100% under their ability to affect. Even then, poo poo happens, poo poo always happens and the question is not WHO DO I FIRE, it's WERE APPROPRIATE STEPS AND PRECAUTIONS TAKEN? and WHAT CAN/SHOULD WE DO TO AVOID THIS IN THE FUTURE, IF ANYTHING?

Firing someone is not a solution to ANY problem, especially after the fact, except for things that are specifically contained within that person.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gunjin posted:

No ones employment should hinge on DirectTV poo poo working.
No one's employment should hinge on the CEO watching a loving soccer game, unless Dick happens to work at ESPN or something.

I'm not at all surprised that a CEO wanted to sit in his office watching world cup and jacking off while being paid a CEO salary. But I am kinda shocked that they'd have the gall to admit it so blatantly that they'd fire someone over it not happening. Oh man I have to work like all the other peons instead of watch TV, heads are going to roll!

He's pretty much asking for someone to leave a deuce on his desk.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

AlternateAccount posted:

No one's employment should hinge on any single thing not working that isn't 100% under their ability to affect. Even then, poo poo happens, poo poo always happens and the question is not WHO DO I FIRE, it's WERE APPROPRIATE STEPS AND PRECAUTIONS TAKEN? and WHAT CAN/SHOULD WE DO TO AVOID THIS IN THE FUTURE, IF ANYTHING?

Firing someone is not a solution to ANY problem, especially after the fact, except for things that are specifically contained within that person.

Of course not. I was just using the chance to take a swipe at DircetTV and their poo poo service that is pissing our company off this week.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Anybody have any recommendations regarding Google Apps Enterprise backup? The two companies I've found are Backupify and Spanning.

I'd love some insight on Google Apps backup and archiving.

Also DickTrauma :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That's what was so frustrating about that ambush meeting. I transitioned directly from "GREAT JOB HAVE A FREE LAPTOP!" to "TERRIBLE! ONE SLIP AND YER DEAD!" I've been managing a long time and know drat well this is not how you do it. But they've never managed me well so it makes sense that when the CEO got angry about the internet interruptions we were experiencing that instead of my bosses working with me they would place themselves in opposition to me and help the CEO construct this absurd environment where a technical problem is no longer something your I.T. Manager works on, it's a sign that he must be eliminated.

Most managers manage via instinct. They've never been trained. It's an animal thing. If they feel like being nice, they're nice. If they feel like being angry, they'll be angry. They'll put the trappings of propriety on what they do but there's nothing professional or useful about it. Even the limited training I received years ago made it clear that instinct is not enough to properly manage people.

That said one can still be fabulously successful, wealthy and respected without having a shred of people management ability, which does nothing to encourage managers to work on this problem.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Morning update on my Fun With Auditable Documents Adventure:

To: :black101:
CC: :chiefsay: (department head)
Re: poo poo that is hosed yo

Oh hey, all those documents that are covered in cobwebs and desperately need updating/are not to be used per :chiefsay:? Welp, just put them all into the internally-accessable Template share, hope this helps!

:v:

Yeah, there was a late email yesterday from :chiefsay: going "Uhm, yeah, use the current versions of those auditbait forms, and :byodame:? You need to get this other stuff revised." Which apparently was run through a text-to-Charlie-Brown's-Teacher conversion by :downs:. It was a full-on dump of all the docs - policy and procedure, organization charts, workflows, the Quality Improvement roadmap for FY 2013-14... in a shared folder that can be accessed by pretty much anyone with intranet access. (IE, I think the outsourced janitor might not see it.)

Also, and more importantly, :black101: is :smith: for Dick Trauma.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
We need to start our own MSP. Consider it a home for broken techs.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

m.hache posted:

We need to start our own MSP. Consider it a home for broken techs.

Modelled after the Permanent Crimson Assurance, one hopes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Klyith posted:

No one's employment should hinge on the CEO watching a loving soccer game, unless Dick happens to work at ESPN or something.

And even if he did work at ESPN, equipment breaks, you can't help it.

Unless he unplugged something really vital accidentally. Seen that happen plenty of times, it's pretty funny when it doesn't involve a poo poo ton of extra work for you to do.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Modelled after the Permanent Crimson Assurance, one hopes.

I'll start fashioning a shiv out of a desktop tray right away.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I was on my way from a field location back to my office, and got a txt from another tech to check in on the 12th floor. Said they had a user up there who was having connectivity issues after a "small move". They don't have the user's name, and I'm covering for the tech who usually works this building, so I have to ask around to find out what's going on. I get led to this cube:

Naturally, the electrical/ethernet ports are on the opposite corner of the cubicle. There is no phone on this desk, and there is no mouse.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

anthonypants posted:

I was on my way from a field location back to my office, and got a txt from another tech to check in on the 12th floor. Said they had a user up there who was having connectivity issues after a "small move". They don't have the user's name, and I'm covering for the tech who usually works this building, so I have to ask around to find out what's going on. I get led to this cube:

Naturally, the electrical/ethernet ports are on the opposite corner of the cubicle. There is no phone on this desk, and there is no mouse.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

:nsa:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
SSL added and removed here!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

:it:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
:toot:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
That should be the threads mascot.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hahahaha

I have no idea why this is so funny but it is.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's spreading.

Let no one say I was unproductive on my last day here.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

It's spreading.

Needs one small eye. Spend the rest of the day hunting down that pin.

EDIT: REDRUM. REDRUM.

m.hache fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 18, 2014

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Jesus, Dick, that's a bunch of bullshit. It will be better in the long run but it's lovely you weren't able to do it on your own terms.

I can't remember what part of the country you're in but if you're near Portland OR I might be able to help.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

It's spreading.

Wait, did you actually get firing paperwork or was HR trying to act all high and mighty?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

A call came in:

I work the phone lines for a decently sized computer manufacturer. I support Desktops and Laptops, first line.
It's pretty chill, we don't have any scripts to follow and once you're out of probation you're pretty much trusted to handle poo poo yourself. Not my dream job or anything but sometimes interesting poo poo turns up.

And then I get calls like this.

:allears: me
:byodame: customer

:allears: Company name tech support this is organburner
:byodame: Hello I bought Shittiest cheapest laptop from walmart equivalent two months ago and now it doesn't start up at all!
:allears: Okay ma'am, what happens when you push the power button? Do any lights turn on?
:byodame: No, like I said I bought this two months and it's already dead!
:allears: Okay, could you try removing the battery from the laptop?
:byodame: Done, now what?
:allears: Okay now attach the ac adapter and-
:byodame: AC ADAPTER? YOU JUST TOLD ME TO REMOVE THE AC ADAPTER!
:allears: No, ma'am, I asked you to remove the battery-
:byodame: BUT THAT'S THE AC ADAPTER? THE THING WHERE THE POWER COMES FROM!
:allears: Ma'am, the battery is the box-like thing that is in the laptop.
:byodame: WHAT? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

At this point I think, gently caress it, just send the whole thing to the service point and they can figure it out

:allears: Okay ma'am let's just move on then. I'll order a pick-up for this laptop so we can get it fixed.
:byodame: BUT I NEED A SPARE LAPTOP! I NEED TO KEEP WORKING!
:allears: I'm afraid that's not possible. If you would like to get expedited service you could bring it to one of our local authorized repair shops, I can see that the nearest one is about 15 minute-
:byodame: THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! I DEMAND SOMEONE COMES HERE TODAY AND REPAIRS MY COMPUTER!
:allears: I'm afraid that the factory warranty doesn't cover that. If you want that kind of service you need to buy the extended warr-
:byodame: I'M NOT BUYING ANYTHING, THIS COMPUTER SHOULD WORK AND I NEED IT TO WORK NOW! MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON IT!
:allears: Yes ma'am I understand that, but the only thing I am authorized to do in this case is send a courier to pick it up and bring it to our service point.
:byodame: FINE HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE UNTIL IT'S REPAIRED?
:allears: Our usual turn around time on off site repairs is 1-2 weeks
:byodame: THAT'S UNACCEPTABLE! I WANT TO MAKE A COMPLAINT!
:allears: Okay, that's fine. Complaints are usually handled the next day so someone will call you tomorrow or monday (Friday is a holiday here)
:byodame: BUT I NEED THIS FIXED BEFORE FRIDAY!
:allears: I'm afraid it's the best I can do. If you bring it to the local service point they can usually fix it in a day or two.
:byodame: I'M NOT BRINGING THIS COMPUTER ANYWHERE. SEND THE COURIER AND IF THE COMPUTER IS NOT BACK IN THREE DAYS I AM CALLING MY LAWYER!
:allears: Ma'am, we can not fix the computer in three days, it takes three days for the computer to get to our service point.
:byodame: JUST GET IT FIXED!

Like, goddamn woman. Your livelihood depends on a lovely rear end laptop you got from walmart equivalent and you don't have any spare or, as far as I could understand because there was a rant in there about loosing all her files, any backups of your work.
And now you want us to send a technician to fix your lovely rear end 399€ laptop? And you think you can get this by yelling at me? By swearing at me?
Get. hosed.

I suspect it was just a broken ac adapter as well but some people are just impossible to talk to. If she would just go to the local certified repair shop there's a good chance they'd just test the ac adapter, find out it's dead and then ship her a new one ore give a new one straight away.

She's gonna call tomorrow all mad because the courier service probably aren't going to pick it nbd, it can take them weeks to pick up the computer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I bet the laptop just went into sleep mode.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Wozbo posted:

Wait, did you actually get firing paperwork or was HR trying to act all high and mighty?

No paperwork yet. And the CEO called me into a marketing meeting where he introduced me to the vendor as "my secret marketing weapon" because of my experience in advertising. It's so dysfunctional, but there's good pastries so I'm playing along and browsing with the Awful app on my phone.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

No paperwork yet. And the CEO called me into a marketing meeting where he introduced me to the vendor as "my secret marketing weapon" because of my experience in advertising. It's so dysfunctional, but there's good pastries so I'm playing along and browsing with the Awful app on my phone.

I.... just.... what?

It's like your entire company suffers from bipolar disorder.

"Here's our prodigal tech support, savior of all, who is SO CLOSED TO BEING FIRED BECAUSE I CAN'T WATCH SOCCER, but before that we are giving him employee of the month."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is your CEO the type that threatens to fire people over dumb poo poo often, thinking he is getting them to work harder?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I hope you took the CEO aside, after asking for a moment of his time, and made clear that you had no control or access to fix his problem and that you do not appreciate being tentatively fired for it. Furthermore if you wanted to push it, ask him the status of said filings. If he responds with something ambiguous or leaves you on an unknown hook, ask for clarification.

The more direct you are about these things the more respect you gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

KoRMaK posted:

I hope you took the CEO aside, after asking for a moment of his time, and made clear that you had no control or access to fix his problem and that you do not appreciate being tentatively fired for it. Furthermore if you wanted to push it, ask him the status of said filings. If he responds with something ambiguous or leaves you on an unknown hook, ask for clarification.

The more direct you are about these things the more respect you gain.

Well, people like the ceo don't understand or really give a drat if he doesn't have control over failure. The just don't want failure. They also see failure by people in non-executive positions as totally unacceptable because they don't see non-execs as the same class of person. (IE, totally expendable)

Dick is just in one of those positions where everything is appearances and nothing else matters. A total bizarro world that should be more rare than it is.

• Locked thread