Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Wulfling posted:

So I did some digging through my skills trained to see where I was. I found out I'm only Prop Jamming V from being able to fly Saber/Eris. On a more useful note, I'm 72 hours away from being able to fly the Astarte. Why does it need T2 remote sensor booster? I don't know, but I am training it now. Other wise I'm good to go in the hull. Still going to train into a T3 booster. Not really sure what to do with those other than just zoom around system randomly? Maybe I'll have to pm Ullerrm about it. I know he was in the fleet eariler. Might be able to get him to explain some other things to me with regards to fits that don't make a lot of sense to me. :shrug:

Sabres are hilarious, I can highly recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sabres are at least as useful as any other ship in the top tier of useful ships. especially if you ever learn how to fly them.

about a year ago i want to say we were in a stratop that PL was attendant in and they warped in for some reason, probably a bombing run, they were in bubble range and i uncloaked and trapped those fuckers and they were shredded apart and it felt amazing. I probably shouldn't have popped the bubble because i was with a sizeable chunk of blues but reds died so I feel justified.

Sabres own.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wulfling posted:

So I did some digging through my skills trained to see where I was. I found out I'm only Prop Jamming V from being able to fly Saber/Eris. On a more useful note, I'm 72 hours away from being able to fly the Astarte. Why does it need T2 remote sensor booster? I don't know, but I am training it now. Other wise I'm good to go in the hull. Still going to train into a T3 booster. Not really sure what to do with those other than just zoom around system randomly? Maybe I'll have to pm Ullerrm about it. I know he was in the fleet eariler. Might be able to get him to explain some other things to me with regards to fits that don't make a lot of sense to me. :shrug:

It is almost guaranteed that the fit you were looking at is very old, and may not be relevant for the current meta.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
gently caress the fitting gods, fly all command ships all the time and fit guns on them and use them in combat. Sleipnir fleets and Vulture fleets :getin:

Also you should pronounce Astarte "rear end-tart" because why not.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Yeah I really want to train into a dictor, and have for a long time. Just seems the shortage of boosters needs filling and its only 3 days off. (Really? T2 Remote Sebo? Why?) I'll either work into dictors after that or do my train into T3 booster. Someone really needs to explain to me what the hell those are supposed to do during a fight cuz I don't get it. Especially when they've got two T2 ECCM on them but absolutely nothing that requires locking onto another ship. Maybe I'm just out of my mind tired, but I really don't get it.

I suppose it all comes back to wanting to feel useful, and using the skills I've already got. Baltec fleet is a lot of fun, but when its struggling to get off the ground due to lack of boosters, I feel like I'd be more helpful there than just another mega floating around.

dialhforhero posted:

gently caress the fitting gods, fly all command ships all the time and fit guns on them and use them in combat. Sleipnir fleets and Vulture fleets :getin:

Also you should pronounce Astarte "rear end-tart" because why not.

I used to own and fly a 1k dps Sleipnir with 2 links on it. Was amazing. Sadly I don't see a doctrine fit for one. This makes me sad. Go Go dual LASB and Hail spitting autos wrecking everything inside 20km. :black101:

E;

darth cookie posted:

It is almost guaranteed that the fit you were looking at is very old, and may not be relevant for the current meta.

That would make sense, but its off the current Doctrine thread. Not like I pulled it off the wiki. gently caress that thing, those pages have cobwebs and poo poo on em. :siren: Batphone calling Ullerrm! :siren:

Hobold fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 18, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wulfling posted:

That would make sense, but its off the current Doctrine thread. Not like I pulled it off the wiki. gently caress that thing, those pages have cobwebs and poo poo on em. :siren: Batphone calling Ullerrm! :siren:

I assumed you'd taken the fit off the goonfleet wiki. The fit you found may or may not be out of date, in that case.

elanciano
Apr 2, 2013

I'm sure it's only a glitch. A temporary setback.
So last night I logged on in a station in syndicate to see on intel that some nerds were hitting a poco, something like 2-3 oracles and a Talos. Tried reaching out to corpies who knew people in SV because I heard they were in the area and just as I reached out, the op my corp mates were in started moving. I tried to get a zealot fitted in system (I was in a crow before) but my cloaky eyes tells me they ran. So my question is do I, as an FA member just go to the jabber for space violence or mumble or what? I want to know of the unobtrusive way to get a hold of possible dps that won't waste time or be annoying.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The wiki is an amazing thing because it points to a time when there was anyone who cared enough to document things like that. In 2012 a lot of the info was good enough, even if the 'history'/drama section shows some pretty hilarious age at this point, but by now I literally don't trust the wiki for anything fitting related.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

elanciano posted:

So last night I logged on in a station in syndicate to see on intel that some nerds were hitting a poco, something like 2-3 oracles and a Talos. Tried reaching out to corpies who knew people in SV because I heard they were in the area and just as I reached out, the op my corp mates were in started moving. I tried to get a zealot fitted in system (I was in a crow before) but my cloaky eyes tells me they ran. So my question is do I, as an FA member just go to the jabber for space violence or mumble or what? I want to know of the unobtrusive way to get a hold of possible dps that won't waste time or be annoying.

What system and who was shooting?

Wulfling posted:

I used to own and fly a 1k dps Sleipnir with 2 links on it. Was amazing. Sadly I don't see a doctrine fit for one. This makes me sad. Go Go dual LASB and Hail spitting autos wrecking everything inside 20km. :black101:

Don't ever use hail on a sleip, its absolutely terrible.

Also, Groon had sleipnirs as our main fleet doctrine for like 2-3 years. They are such good ships for what we did, but they just can't deal with ishtars. Now we don't run them at all anymore. :(

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.
I haven't actually done anything in Goonwaffe yet because I've been busy being sick, working, and flying in the Freighter Ganking Fleets in Aufay the last two days. For real, more Miniluv guys/just anyone at all needs to come join in on those, because they are great fun.

It's hilarious too, we've had TEST guys, Miniluv guys, just random CFC people, BL, BNI, all sorts of people in our gank fleets. loyalanon doesn't give a gently caress. If you want to shoot at carebears with the Conference Elite and CODE., he doesn't care what nullsec alliance you are in.

We've been doing this for weeks now, and still people keep autopiloting their Freighters, JFs, blingy Battleships and all sorts of loving nonsense through Aufay. What is wrong with these pubbies? What makes them do these things? All they need to do is look at "Ships Killed In The Last Hour/24 Hours" and Aufay shows up as a huge red blob on the Star Map. Is that really so hard?

ArchetypeBlue fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 18, 2014

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Elmnt80 posted:

Don't ever use hail on a sleip, its absolutely terrible.

Also, Groon had sleipnirs as our main fleet doctrine for like 2-3 years. They are such good ships for what we did, but they just can't deal with ishtars. Now we don't run them at all anymore. :(

Oh no kidding. Hail and I couldn't hit anything. 1k paper dps is great but they couldn't hit for poo poo. Even with great tracking, low transversal and without being too far away I'd get nothing but grazes. I just went back to using RFPhased/EMP and still did 900 dps. I love the ship, love the hull, (before and after the change,) its just not used and it makes me sad. T2 med autos were the first T2 weapon system I trained up so I only wanted to use that. Then I did Large T2 rails. Thought I had made a huge mistake, but woot, baltec uses them and they're actually not the complete rear end they were a couple years ago when I quit using them.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

SilverWingedSeraph posted:

I haven't actually done anything in Goonwaffe yet because I've been busy being sick, working, and flying in the Freighter Ganking Fleets in Aufay the last too days. For real, more Miniluv guys/just anyone at all needs to come join in on those, because they are great fun.

It's hilarious too, we've had TEST guys, Miniluv guys, just random CFC people, BL, BNI, all sorts of people in our gank fleets. loyalanon doesn't give a gently caress. If you want to shoot at carebears with the Conference Elite and CODE., he doesn't care what nullsec alliance you are in.

We've been doing this for weeks now, and still people keep autopiloting their Freighters, JFs, blingy Battleships and all sorts of loving nonsense through Aufay. What is wrong with these pubbies? What makes them do these things? All they need to do is look at "Ships Killed In The Last Hour/24 Hours" and Aufay shows up as a huge red blob on the Star Map. Is that really so hard?

I really need to pause training on my main and spend two or three days on getting my alt into a Catalyst.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

hemophilia posted:

The wiki is an amazing thing because it points to a time when there was anyone who cared enough to document things like that. In 2012 a lot of the info was good enough, even if the 'history'/drama section shows some pretty hilarious age at this point, but by now I literally don't trust the wiki for anything fitting related.

Confluence is rapidly getting better and better. If still suffering a bit from needing a much better structure than the old wiki but that requiring a shitton of work.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

elanciano posted:

Get on SV Jabber and ping someone with a star in their name. Only preferably not me, because I resigned from squad leadership ages ago (and wasn't really doing much before then) and have no authority beyond the ability to broadcast. :v:

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Wulfling posted:

Someone really needs to explain to me what the hell those are supposed to do during a fight cuz I don't get it. Especially when they've got two T2 ECCM on them but absolutely nothing that requires locking onto another ship. Maybe I'm just out of my mind tired, but I really don't get it.

I've never flown one but my guess is that to provide links you need to be uncloaked and in-system, and from what I understand of scanning mechanics your scannability is inversely proportional to your sensor strength. I feel like I've been told you can't make your ship UNscannable, but can make it so the scanner needs perfect skills and billions in implants. I would also guess you want it to be nullified and have high agility, so you can get through gates unmolested, but maybe bridging makes that a moot point. I'm sure if you pipe up on GF.com or in jabber you can track down someone with The Official Boosting Strategic Cruiser fit for the race you are considering.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Get on SV Jabber and ping someone with a star in their name. Only preferably not me, because I resigned from squad leadership ages ago (and wasn't really doing much before then) and have no authority beyond the ability to broadcast. :v:

Unless it's changed the SV channel is member-only. Knowing this because I lost access when I was purged.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

uwaeve posted:

I've never flown one but my guess is that to provide links you need to be uncloaked and in-system, and from what I understand of scanning mechanics your scannability is inversely proportional to your sensor strength. I feel like I've been told you can't make your ship UNscannable, but can make it so the scanner needs perfect skills and billions in implants. I would also guess you want it to be nullified and have high agility, so you can get through gates unmolested, but maybe bridging makes that a moot point. I'm sure if you pipe up on GF.com or in jabber you can track down someone with The Official Boosting Strategic Cruiser fit for the race you are considering.

Yeah I've got the fits, they just don't make a lot of sense to me. What you're saying is all new to me. There are a lot of mechanics about this game that I am just completely unaware of. Scanning/probing is something that I never really got into because of the god awful UI several years back. I'd always heard of unscannable T3's before they got nerfed, I just never knew how that functioned. now it makes a lot more sense.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How easy you are to probe down is a function of your sensor strength relative to your signature radius. I -think- it previously was that if your sensor strength was 1.6 times your sig radius it was impossible to get a 100% hit on you even with a maxed out covops with sisters gear and and virtue implants.

Then CCP clamped that formula so it wasn't possible to become completely un-probeable any more, and they added sensor strength boosting modules so you didn't need billions worth of virtue implants any more and welp. You can still make your boosting T3 hard to probe down, but it's not impossible or even expensive to make a prober that can find you any more, so all the ECCM gives you now is more time to see the probes on dscan and cloak/frogout before they get a result.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

SilverWingedSeraph posted:

I haven't actually done anything in Goonwaffe yet because I've been busy being sick, working, and flying in the Freighter Ganking Fleets in Aufay the last two days. For real, more Miniluv guys/just anyone at all needs to come join in on those, because they are great fun.

I did one of loyalanon's fleets a couple nights ago. Two Gripes:

1) Not 10 minutes after I joined they killed an blue (EXE?) mission runner on gate with a killright. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for shooting blues, but this seems more like a situation where a pissed off diplo puts an internet gun in your internet mouth and tells you to quit that poo poo, instead of "Oh yeah, CODE. rules, I get it." I told them if they did that poo poo again, I was out. Fweddit guy agreed.

2) 45% of the fun of ganking is ganking itself. I can go gank miners and industrials (though not freighters), get someone to ping for a fleet if I want. The other 55% is making GBS threads it up with MiniLuv people, and joining CODE. fleets is like going to a party where everyone has known each other for decades and you're just there to meet people.

That being said, hats off to loyalanon, he does a great job at what he does and gives absolutely 0 fucks while doing it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Countdown to Frabba purging the Incursion sig to the depths of the crokmines because they're loving stupid?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhymenoserous posted:

Just FYI cloaky camps are extremely easy to disrupt with a sniping tornado and a good set of bookmarks. Not that I'm suggesting anyone do such a thing.

So I actually tried this awhile back against some jerks who were sitting on a gate in Deklein. The instant they saw anyone on dscan they would just sit and poo poo up local with "haha look at all the ships they brought just to deal with us! :smug:" and proceeded to sit cloaked indefinitely.

If I want to score a kill on these guys, is the goal to sit outside of dscan range and wait until they engage a target before warping to grid and engaging them? I really hate all the waiting around. :(

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

orange juche posted:

Countdown to Frabba purging the Incursion sig to the depths of the crokmines because they're loving stupid?

What happened?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Siets posted:

So I actually tried this awhile back against some jerks who were sitting on a gate in Deklein. The instant they saw anyone on dscan they would just sit and poo poo up local with "haha look at all the ships they brought just to deal with us! :smug:" and proceeded to sit cloaked indefinitely.

If I want to score a kill on these guys, is the goal to sit outside of dscan range and wait until they engage a target before warping to grid and engaging them? I really hate all the waiting around. :(

Bait them, counterdrop them, bait them, sneak up on them in a cloaked ship, bait them, bring few enough ships that they don't go away, bait them.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

boodah posted:

On the first near mishap, the blue warped away before I could get a lock and scram on him. The second one I had him locked and almost hit the button, but then realized the swarm of blue around him and the fact he didn't jump (he was on top of the gate) made me think twice.

After warping to join fleet I saw a red archon on the overview and locked it right away but delayed shooting because it was sitting peacefully in the middle of a purple blob and -fleet discipline- . Rechecked overview and the red archon was labeled "Mitanni."

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

patentmagus posted:

After warping to join fleet I saw a red archon on the overview and locked it right away but delayed shooting because it was sitting peacefully in the middle of a purple blob and -fleet discipline- . Rechecked overview and the red archon was labeled "Mitanni."

You should have shot him, since he was clearly an impersonator, a mere imitation of The Mittani! :colbert:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Probably a spy. Just shoot anyway.

What's the worst that could go wrong, you'll alpha his ... carrier?

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!
So in the past 24 hours I've killed a faction/deadspace garmur, a crow, and a vagabond while totally AFK (granted the first two were part of a gang that killed my carrier).

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Probably a spy. Just shoot anyway.

What's the worst that could go wrong, you'll alpha his ... carrier?

In hindsight, it would have been glorious to shoot, get primaried, then apply for reimbursement.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Fix Lag posted:

What happened?

I would take a wild wild guess that they failed hard.

Again :rimshot:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Siets posted:

That's why you bring just one. This way if you loiter around and pop a few of their sabres or they cloak up it's one person wasting a dozen peoples time. Their dumb argument cuts both ways. Sure they can wait you out, but every second you as an individual are loving with them is time where they aren't killing stuff/having fun.

As someone that did this a lot, I can tell you. A single motivated person can gently caress up a group of campers day. A dozen people on the other hand are much more likely to create a coms echo chamber of "This poo poo isn't fun, lets go do something else, these guys are just going to cloak up when we try and gently caress with them, I'm bored, lets roam/rat/do loving anything else." and gently caress off after not achieving anything for 30 minutes.

Oh and if you pick your launching point as a pos that's near the gate they are camping... you are always on DSCAN even if you aren't active. It throws more risk into the game and encourages them to find another spot to setup shop.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 18, 2014

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fix Lag posted:

What happened?

Whoever is running that poo poo show used a poor choice of words when broadcasting for an incursion fleet right after an broadcast for a strat op.

1. If you want to incursion, then incursion (but don't do it right after a broadcast for a strategic op) or if you do don't broadcast for it so that we all know what you're doing.
2. Don't inflect your broadcast to ironically or unironically imply that what you're doing is more important than said strat op.
3. Have some tact with the timing of said broadcast :P

Not a huge deal, but the impression that your PVE is more important than our strat PVP publicly is a no-no.

Pikag
Jun 5, 2009
I thought the incursion fleet was dispatched to clear our cap midpoints to delve.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

vyst posted:

Whoever is running that poo poo show used a poor choice of words when broadcasting for an incursion fleet right after an broadcast for a strat op.

1. If you want to incursion, then incursion (but don't do it right after a broadcast for a strategic op) or if you do don't broadcast for it so that we all know what you're doing.
2. Don't inflect your broadcast to ironically or unironically imply that what you're doing is more important than said strat op.
3. Have some tact with the timing of said broadcast :P

Not a huge deal, but the impression that your PVE is more important than our strat PVP publicly is a no-no.

You are not talking about the baltec fleet which ran an incursion at yesterday night (EUTZ), are you? That fleet FC stated clearly we were doing it for strategic reasons (uncynojam the incursion constellation), and under stratop rules SRP; the fact we got some ISK in the process was collateral (although nice).

By the way, this one was my first incursion, so there is one thing less I have never done in eve.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Amberskin posted:

You are not talking about the baltec fleet which ran an incursion at yesterday night (EUTZ), are you? That fleet FC stated clearly we were doing it for strategic reasons (uncynojam the incursion constellation), and under stratop rules SRP; the fact we got some ISK in the process was collateral (although nice).

By the way, this one was my first incursion, so there is one thing less I have never done in eve.

No, calm down.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

vyst posted:

No, calm down.

I didn't intend to sound not calmed. Just my english being bad.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Amberskin posted:

I didn't intend to sound not calmed. Just my english being bad.

I'm not scolding you, calm down.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DisgracelandUSA posted:

1) Not 10 minutes after I joined they killed an blue (EXE?) mission runner on gate with a killright. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for shooting blues, but this seems more like a situation where a pissed off diplo puts an internet gun in your internet mouth and tells you to quit that poo poo, instead of "Oh yeah, CODE. rules, I get it." I told them if they did that poo poo again, I was out. Fweddit guy agreed.

Just hold your fire if you are scared of THE MAN keeping you down jeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

vyst posted:

I'm not scolding you, calm down.

My internet breaks for one day and everything goes to hell.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Sounds like they learned a valuable lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

[01:48:53] TeslaKnight Rotineque > these pirates do attack come back in pod and enter stations and that is golden meaning I have no choice to pvp because they can gank me anytime in nulsec and you think I will buy plex again if I get ganked by goonswarm or code.

[01:55:27] TeslaKnight Rotineque > just saying the game mechanics might be set to milk players making it impossible to pay for plex in game. I personally think the game is built around goonswarm.

Griz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 19, 2014

• Locked thread