Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
:siren::siren::siren: NAME CHANGE ANNOUNCED:siren::siren::siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

rjmccall posted:

Washington Hogs would be a legitimately good name.

If it means good BBQ is sold at FedEx, I'm down

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

For a second I thought the Onion was surprisingly slow on making a joke tons of people have made already then I saw this was from 2013.

aces on the timely link, buddy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

rjmccall posted:

Washington Hogs would be a legitimately good name.

That would be offensive to the average American.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chichevache posted:

That would be offensive to the average American.

Only if you went with "Washington Hambeasts"

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Washington Irvings
(George) Washington Carvers
Washington D.C.'s
Washington Posts
Washington Generals
Washington Metro

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Washington Metro

The Washington Red Line Delays

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Looking forward to the Washington Injuns or whatever because there's no way that dumbass dude isn't being dragged kicking and screaming into being a decent person.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Kalli posted:

Side note, this was from the '95 pro bowl, when the NFL was trying to kick off a leaguewide mascot change to try and market to kids. They then rolled out these weird new mascot costumes at the pro bowl, where they looked like garbage, and so they were mostly scrapped:

No idea what the Washington one was called.

Just GIS 1995 Pro Bowl Mascots if you want to see the horror show.

Cap'n Buc unironically owns. The rest are poo poo though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Looking forward to the Washington Injuns or whatever because there's no way that dumbass dude isn't being dragged kicking and screaming into being a decent person.

Washington Savages

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

US Patent Office are a bunch of indian givers.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Levitate posted:

Washington Savages

No, that's Houston.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The Skins should be named something that takes into account their legacy in the NFC East but then people would complain about the Washington Butt Fucks

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Snyder should move the team out of DC. Now that would be awesome. Don't politicians have better things to worry about?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but when was the tipping point that made this an issue after no one really gave a poo poo for 80 years? Did the NCAA's decision on Indian mascots kind of reopen the debate? Does the fact that Snyder is such an rear end in a top hat in general play into it?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Doltos posted:

The Skins should be named something that takes into account their legacy in the NFC East but then people would complain about the Washington Butt Fucks

Shut up Doltos

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nybble posted:

The Washington #FixWMATAs

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kalli posted:

Side note, this was from the '95 pro bowl, when the NFL was trying to kick off a leaguewide mascot change to try and market to kids. They then rolled out these weird new mascot costumes at the pro bowl, where they looked like garbage, and so they were mostly scrapped:

No idea what the Washington one was called.

Just GIS 1995 Pro Bowl Mascots if you want to see the horror show.

Don't know if any of the other ones are still alive but KC Wolf is still around and owns hard.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
The Washington Douglas Furs.

Man, smell them trees!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I really hope this sticks, because otherwise it would've been Dan Snyder slowly, deliberately tearing off a band-aid for years on end.

I honestly don't care what the name is changed to, I just want to see the team I love getting disparaged for their lovely play and undeserved media attention, not the nickname.

Washington Wizards is still a bad name though, please don't do a public vote for this one, that's how you get stuck with the Washington Wizards.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

bewbies posted:

Don't know if any of the other ones are still alive but KC Wolf is still around and owns hard.

Yeah, KC Wolf predated it and was just used, and a few others ended up being used in various incarnations like the Cowboys and 49'ers ones. The Saints also took the dog, revamped it and renamed it Gumbo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Shut up Doltos

Lol

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

You see the Seminoles are the same as the redskins because both refer to native Americans

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

L-Boned posted:

Snyder should move the team out of DC. Now that would be awesome. Don't politicians have better things to worry about?
The Patent Office are the specific government workers that would deal with this specific case so no. The entire government didn't shut down so politicians could get their say in on it.

Nybble posted:

Pft, like it's just the red line.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
^ Orange Line is usually okay for me. But man, "Red Line Delays" feels redundant in my experience.

Frackie Robinson posted:

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but when was the tipping point that made this an issue after no one really gave a poo poo for 80 years? Did the NCAA's decision on Indian mascots kind of reopen the debate? Does the fact that Snyder is such an rear end in a top hat in general play into it?

It's been an issue for over 30 years, partially because only in recent history have Native American groups had any sort of political power.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

het posted:

The Washington Clipse (VA beach is closer to DC than charlotte, I'm claiming 'em)

:( No Malice found god. Though Pusha has been killing it recently.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?
From Reddit.

quote:

This decision by the USPTO does not mean that the team will lose its trademark rights in the name and logo. In fact, it will have very little practical effect. Having your trademark registered with the PTO may confer additional benefits, but in the US general trademark rights arise through use, not registration. The Redskins will still be able to use and enforce their rights in the mark under federal and state law anywhere that the mark has been used in commerce, which is basically everywhere.

If that is true then I doubt Snyder will do anything.

I wonder if the NFL requires all teams to own the trademark of their team name though. Seems like that would be part of the deal of owning an NFL team.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nice

quote:

@GerryDuggan 31m
Really enjoying the @nfl Redskins being upset about the US government taking things from them.

Also, I'm still mad that the Reading Phillies team isn't called the Baseballtown Hotdogs, so can the Washington Redskins change their name to the American Hotdogs please

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Shut up Doltos

Washington Shut Up Doltoses

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Ussr posted:

From Reddit.

If that is true then I doubt Snyder will do anything.

I wonder if the NFL requires all teams to own the trademark of their team name though. Seems like that would be part of the deal of owning an NFL team.

Somehow I don't see courts ruling that the US patent office doesn't really matter. Yeah, it's harder to use a trademark if you don't enforce it, but I don't think that means that just by using a word for a product you can sue other people for using that word without going through the proper legal channels first.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Frackie Robinson posted:

Well, as was mentioned earlier the original case was brought in 1992, and I also distinctly remember there being huge staged protests outside the Metrodome when Minneapolis (last) hosted the Super Bowl that same year (Washington played the Bills), so it's been percolating for at least 22 years.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

If they ever change the name, which they won't, I think they really should go with some version of the Hogs. Warthogs, preferably. After the whole pig thing became a tradition it just feels right. The Washington Warthogs.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Washington Shut Up Doltoses

or this

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
:rolleyes: sorry next time I'll just make D.C. Redskins or Washington (insert another racist name here) jokes like everyone else has done for 5 pages of this thread

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

rkajdi posted:

Washington Department of Football Services-- not my idea, but an all around awesome name.

I like it. Personally I have always been partial to Warthogs as a name.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Can I vote for the Generals?

(starts whistling Sweet Georgia Brown for no apparent reason.)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 18, 2014

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

Hawzy posted:

US Patent Office are a bunch of indian givers.

Lol this is good

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

My man Dan doesn't want to have to change things even that much. It's going to be the Readskins or the Rhedskins.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

:rolleyes: sorry next time I'll just make D.C. Redskins or Washington (insert another racist name here) jokes like everyone else has done for 5 pages of this thread

Shut up Doltos

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Shut up Doltos

Shut up Doltos 3, Browns 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Febreeze posted:

Shut up Doltos 3, Browns 0

JFF is going to follow the career trajectory of Vince Young.

• Locked thread