Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nintendo consoles are like the go-to for fun party games times, I'm not sure how anyone could even argue otherwise :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Update - been a few days and Mario Kart, SMW3D and Pikmin have all been fun as gently caress alone and with friends. Some of the best gaming I've had in years by far and I've spent way too much money on sweet PC rigs. Haven't played much Donkey Kong but it seems solid and the soundtrack is great.

Are you sure you're having fun? Are you sure that playing a video game with friends is fun for you? How can you have fun playing on a WiiU, an unreasonable console?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Dare you to :toxx: for the wii U being a success

Let's do this poo poo. If the Wii U makes more money than it cost Nintendo by the end of 2015, then ban my account. I don't care how you count it (development expenses vs. sales for first-party titles being included or not), as long as they recover from the horrible losses they've been seeing as part of Wii U.

Is that a fair :toxx:? I want to make sure it's fair for everybody, and make it so I don't have any opportunities to move the goalposts.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Let's do this poo poo. If the Wii U makes more money than it cost Nintendo by the end of 2015, then ban my account. I don't care how you count it (development expenses vs. sales for first-party titles being included or not), as long as they recover from the horrible losses they've been seeing as part of Wii U.

Is that a fair :toxx:? I want to make sure it's fair for everybody, and make it so I don't have any opportunities to move the goalposts.

Lol ok but you gotta include game sales, The Wii U is being sold at a loss.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Good enough for me. Witnessed.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dead or Alive 3 was poo poo

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

I'll stop posting when the Wii U turns out a success. So, likely never.

tell us more about spending beaucoup bucks on a gamin' rig to play a decade-old mmo and about how mad it makes you every time I play mario kart 8

gay skull fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 18, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Lol ok but you gotta include game sales, The Wii U is being sold at a loss.

He's saying all losses incurred as a result of the Wii U for its life, including R&D.

The fact is that they won't make 4+ years of costs back in the next 9 months, if we even have access to the exact value our the ability to calculate it. He might as well be saying he's toxxing for a man setting foot on Mars tomorrow.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh thats less fun

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The amibo figures will make approximately 30 trillion dollars alone

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Listen, Peter here has the plan to save Nintendo

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

metal gear soiled

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
what is nintendo oil

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Bread Liar
fyi you can fault WiiU as much as you want for whatever who cares but Miiverse is the best thing Nintendo has done on the system.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

what is nintendo oil

peter fuckin loves oil panic

gay skull fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 18, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

He's saying all losses incurred as a result of the Wii U for its life, including R&D.

The fact is that they won't make 4+ years of costs back in the next 9 months, if we even have access to the exact value our the ability to calculate it. He might as well be saying he's toxxing for a man setting foot on Mars tomorrow.

I actually want to make this a perfectly fair toxx about the Wii U "becoming a success". This was the first thing that came to mind.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yaoi Mandel posted:

ahahahahaah holy gently caress 22 pages of posts in this thread

lol holy gently caress :eyepop:

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Suspicious Dish posted:

I actually want to make this a perfectly fair toxx about the Wii U "becoming a success". This was the first thing that came to mind.

What about if Nintendo makes an operating profit instead of loss for FY15?

They haven't managed that for a while, so that seems like something you have a reasonable chance of winning, but it isn't beyond the realm of possibility for you to be wrong.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

fame douglas spent like ten pages in the shark tank bragging about how cheap his great pc gaming was and when someone finally asked him how much he spent on hardware to keep his benchmarks up to date he kind of spluttered out a "it doesn't matter how much i spend on my hobbies" and stopped posting for the rest of the day

quote dis forever

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

What about if Nintendo makes an operating profit instead of loss for FY15?

They haven't managed that for a while, so that seems like something you have a reasonable chance of winning, but it isn't beyond the realm of possibility for you to be wrong.

I'm a bit scared of this, since it's just flipping the numbers around almost. The majority of the Wii U units that will be sold FY15 were manufactured this year. And they did have the big stock buyback.

That said, Nintendo is pretty great at finding inventive new ways to lose money every year. OK. I'm on. If the entirety of FY15 made profits for Nintendo, ban me.

We're going to be waiting two years for it, though, and I assume this thread will get gassed in the meantime. Or the forums will just die.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Louisgod posted:

fyi you can fault WiiU as much as you want for whatever who cares but Miiverse is the best thing Nintendo has done on the system.

Miiverse ain't no paradise.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Seshoho Cian posted:

Miiverse ain't no paradise.

Those miis are making the perfect expression for this post.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Bread Liar

Suspicious Dish posted:

Or the forums will just die.

SA and Nintendo has a lot more in common than you'd think!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Those miis are making the perfect expression for this post.

If the perfect expression is "I'm twelve and I don't understand that companies exist outside America or private law"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is this a good idea? The Wii U isn't even being sold at a loss anymore.

greatn posted:

Yes it is. They don't expect a loss this year because they won't have to produce very many.
But the bet is that it's going to cost them money, when they are saying it doesn't.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 18, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yes it is. They don't expect a loss this year because they won't have to produce very many.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

SA and Nintendo has a lot more in common than you'd think!

• A community that thinks they're better than everybody else
  • An online system that hasn't updated since 2004
  • Terrible, incompetent people at the top with no change in sight

Hey, you're right!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

bushisms.txt posted:

Is this a good idea? The Wii U isn't even being sold at a loss anymore.

But the bet is that it's going to cost them money, when they are saying it doesn't.

Manufacturing Wii U units won't cost them large amounts of money, since they've already manufactured them. The question is if anybody will buy them.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Suspicious Dish posted:

• A community that thinks they're better than everybody else

Hey, you're right!

The people that like Nintendo in this thread aren't the ones talking about how they know so much better than everybody else and calling their opponents children...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

They found a really clever way of saying "We're not losing money because we're not spending a whole lot!"

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Manufacturing Wii U units won't cost them large amounts of money, since they've already manufactured them. The question is if anybody will buy them.
... except that very thing you were quoting said that even if they did run out of stock and had to manufacture some more, they wouldn't take a loss on them anymore when selling them at the current MRSP?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

PrBacterio posted:

... except that very thing you were quoting said that even if they did run out of stock and had to manufacture some more, they wouldn't take a loss on them anymore when selling them at the current MRSP?

The hardware is still sold at loss, as far as I know.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

PrBacterio posted:

The guy misunderstood the quote when he made that tweet.

Most of the units they plan to sell were manufactured and incurred that loss last year. The quote from Iwata said that they already took the bulk of their manufacturing costs for projected sales, it didn't talk about manufacturing costs in general that I saw. It was kind of ambiguous though.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

The hardware is still sold at loss, as far as I know.
It might very well be, we really have no way of knowing; right now, they're certainly selling them for less than what it cost them to manufacture back when they made that last batch that still constitutes their current inventory, that much we know. I was only pointing out that the particular tweet he was quoting specifically said that if they did need to manufacture any more, they could now do so at below selling price. I don't know if that's true, of course, but it's plausible at least because parts prices can only have gone down since then. I think it's been some two years since they last made any of the drat things, after all.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Miyamoto owning the poo poo out of nerds once again:

quote:

As game designers, we at Nintendo are interested in VR technology and what it can do, but at the same time what we’re trying to do with Wii U is to create games for everyone in the living room. We want the Wii U to be a game system that brings video gamers into the living room. As as I explained last night [Sunday, June 8], it’s intended to be fun not only for the person who’s playing, but also for the people who are watching.

When you think about what virtual reality is, which is one person putting on some goggles and playing by themselves kind of over in a corner, or maybe they go into a separate room and they spend all their time alone playing in that virtual reality, that’s in direct contrast with what it is we’re trying to achieve with Wii U. And so I have a little bit of uneasiness with whether or not that’s the best way for people to play.

Wrap it up, mountain dew chugging losers, Nintendo is for actual normal people

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
That's what I do with my Wii U, suck it Shiggy

Diamond Joe Biden
Dec 29, 2009

by Cowcaster

Louisgod posted:

shitposting on miiverse is by itself worth the cost of a wii u

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Holy gently caress that guy really thought that a women or any normal, functional human would enjoy console Diablo 3 above Mario 3D World ahahahahahahahahahaha

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Diablo 3 was fun when you could be a Wizard and have the thing that makes all your abilities reset instantly and have infinite mana so you would teleport around into enemies exploding continuously while mashing all your skills as fast as possible

It hurt my hand but it was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Austrian mook posted:

Holy gently caress that guy really thought that a women or any normal, functional human would enjoy console Diablo 3 above Mario 3D World ahahahahahahahahahaha

Some girls don't like Mario?

• Locked thread