Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We've finally made it to the Pig Time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Nature reserve, there might be wolfah there. We must find our wolfy friend.
Also, Buddy, never change. :)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pigs forever!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Become the emperor-god of Pig Island. It's Sam's destiny.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
As they (never) said in Narnia, onward and oinkwards.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

I wonder when Sam will go through a "transformation" now that he's an official Wandolider (if he hasn't already).

I mean, Sam in Spies did get into nicer... "spier" clothes when he advanced in that game.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
The animal lover says piggy pig pig pig piggy pig pig

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Somebody say piiiiiiiigs?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Somehow the arbitrary point-based merit reward system seems a lot more sensible when we gleefully come up with it ourselves.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Picayune posted:

POOF POOF

The best part of all the teleports, I think, is how everyone's got this wide-eyed expression whenever they 'port in. It's like there's something in the teleport dimension that will do bad things if you close your eyes while you're there.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I just read through this very nice thread, and my vote goes to pig island.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Wrap-Up: Capital Island

Is that it for Capital Island? Well... no.

Whenever we 'finish' an island, it suddenly develops a day/night cycle: it is immediately nighttime and nobody will talk about anything except how tired they are. But that's okay, Sam doesn't need friends. He has this chest behind Barney's house to keep him company!

The chest contains this Garden Scroll, which we will complete whenever Sam feels like pretending to like somebody for long enough to collect all those Happy Essences.

There's one last surprise hidden on Capital Island, but it's going to have to wait for a narratively-appropriate moment. :colbert:

If Sam goes back into his task diary, he can check on his relationship status and also see everyone's bio blurbs. Our pals love us, and Marlon loves us, but everyone else is kind of iffy on us. Even Barney. Goddammit, Barney.

(Will we get a chance to fix this later? Maybe.)

The little television tells us that Elmira is a Domestic-focused Sim; apparently she doesn't give a pig's fart about Sam despite his honeyed words earlier.

Butter is a Cute Sim. I'm sure we're all amazed.

Barney Cull the Nature Sim likes us a little!

I wouldn't have picked Marlon as Cute, but then I remember his collection of stuffed animals.

Cupcakes earn King Roland a classification as a Tasty Sim.

I'm glad that Buddy is so willing to face up to dinosaurs and zombies, two things which totally do not exist in the world as we know it. Totally not there. Nope.

Lyndsay and Buddy are both Fun Sims, which is probably good, since otherwise this grand quest would be pretty miserable.

But enough about other people. What about Sam's fashion choices? Truly that is what is important here.

While we haven't unlocked anything yet, we did have choices to make within Create-A-Sim:

There are six outfits available to us--really only three, but there's a recolor of each. Assistant pig-boys don't have large wardrobes.

However, we do also have a decent array of super-medieval eyewear, including a monocle for those pig-boys with delusions of style!

And so many hairstyles. That is a lot of hairs. I'm partial to the doofy bowlcut, myself, but we are kind of spoiled for doofy choice here. "Hello, I am a Beatle." "Hello, I am Julius Caesar." "Hello, I am Goku." "Hello, I am a thumb."

And what if Sam was instead a Samantha?

Mostly dresses, plus one pair of pants for that adventurous pig-girl. A couple of those dresses seem like poor choices for a pig-herder, but hey, what do I know.

And a whopping twenty-five starting hairstyles!

Male or female, we have the choice of light, medium, or dark skin, along with a large selection of eyes, mouths, and facial decals. I won't be documenting those because a) too many and b) we'll see most of them on other Sims as we play the game.

Every hairstyle comes in blond, brown, reddish, and black; some hairstyles have an bonus fifth color, like bright orange.

Or, you know, green, silver, pink...

By overwhelming majority: join Team Sam next time as they explore the oinky wonders of Renee's Nature Preserve!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I appreciate that you made our pig-boy look like a real pig-boy, and not the malformed clone of an anime protagonist.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Hmm... I think the middle option here would have tempted me into making a Guybrush Threepwood knock-off if I were playing this. :mmmhmm: Still a good selection of choices. (Some of those haircuts really are doofy.)

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 19, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Assistant Pig-Boy Wandolier!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

You fight like a pig farmer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yapping Eevee posted:

Hmm... I think the middle option here would have tempted me into making a Guybrush Threepwood knock-off if I were playing this. :mmmhmm: Still a good selection of choices. (Some of those haircuts really are doofy.)

That middle outfit is boss as hell. He should totally wear that. :goku:

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Isn't it fun that the game itself admits that Marlon has an issue with popping in on people.
And I think the outfit to the right of guybush looks good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The correct answer is to wear whatever seems like the most fun at any given moment.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Under the theory that the outfit will change with each location like with MySpy, I say Sam should use the top-left outfit first because it's a recolor of the pig-boy costume and it only makes sense to visit the nature preserve as the newly appointed Royal Pig-Boy.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Didn't Samantha look like a really bad not-even-trying drag queen in Agents? That was the impression I got while reading it on the archive.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Seyser Koze posted:

Didn't Samantha look like a really bad not-even-trying drag queen in Agents? That was the impression I got while reading it on the archive.

I think the thing was that the first update was played with a deliberately gender-neutral character named 'Sam' before the thread voted on stuff.

After that first update, where we decided to go with Sam as a dude, I don't remember it ever coming up again.

Speaking of which, I am very disappointed we didn't get a fakeout update of MySims Goku the assistant pig boy as a teaser. That hair is amazing. :colbert:

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Poil posted:

How appropriate, you fight like a sow.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Waffleman_ posted:

Poil posted:

Schir posted:

How appropriate, you fight like a sow.

I love this subforum so much. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Under the theory that the outfit will change with each location like with MySpy, I say Sam should use the top-left outfit first because it's a recolor of the pig-boy costume and it only makes sense to visit the nature preserve as the newly appointed Royal Pig-Boy.

I do appreciate Sam dressing in destination-appropriate clothing.

Or destination-wildly-inappropriate clothing. Either or.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Those two on the right look like we're trying too hard to be like Barney. Don't pick those, that's bad.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

RareAcumen posted:

Those two on the right look like we're trying too hard to be like Barney. Don't pick those, that's bad.

On the other hand, we are the new owners of a pirate ship. The middle one would be great for plundering/pillaging.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Pyroi posted:

On the other hand, we are the new owners of a pirate ship. The middle one would be great for plundering/pillaging.

As previously said, Guybrush.

Also, three headed monkeys wouldn't be too far off for this game.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 15: Technical Difficulties: Please Bear With Us

To Renee's Nature Preserve we go! Sailing, sailing, over the bounding main~

Sam gets to steer during the loading screens. Buddy and Lyndsay provide color commentary.

: Neat! I want to meet a cow!

: Buddy, I think a nature preserve would have slightly more exotic animals than cows.

: Really? HEY! Maybe they'll have pigs!!!

: ... wouldn't THAT be a rare treat.

Nothing like a little sarcasm to make these long boat rides go by faster. Anyway!

Eventually we dock at the Nature Preserve! It sure is natural.

I see bees, and a treasure chest, and... is that a bear?

Renee meets us at the docks when we arrive. Hi, Renee! I'm not putting the accent in your name because I am lazy.

: Welcome, welcome! Right this way.

We join her at the foot of the dock.

my... my immersion

: What?

: Remember, flash photography is strictly prohibited while in the park.

: Huh?

: Wow! I bet the animals love that!

: They do!

: Hmmm...

: As soon as you're ready, just talk to me and we'll begin the tour!

Buddy salutes, and after a quick look around Sam decides to take the tour.

Renee trots off, and Sam follows her.

uhh

Sam is all oh I saw this coming

: Don't worry, Renee, Sam here is King Roland's royal Wandolier! He can build you a great place in no time!

Sam nods sympathetically.

: Wow! That'd be great! Here, take this Scroll--it'll teach you everything you'll need to build my Visitor Center!

Right! Let's get started.

We need Happy Essences to make a Visitor's Center, for reasons, so Sam tells Renee a joke.

There we go. Now we need cherries, also for reasons. Are there cherry trees around here? Man, I hope so.

That is not a cherry tree, but Sam is always happy to get more Mana, Simoleons, and Bronze. Let's go say hi to the--

HOLY CRAP ABORT ABORT

Yes. Well. Sam slinks away from the enormous noble pig and heads up the hill to his right.

Ah ha! Cherry trees! I cannot tell a lie: Sam cut them both down. He could have just watered them, since watering a full-sized tree makes it break out in fruit--but he'll need some Wood as well, again for reasons.

And then over here we have AAAAAAGH

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: ... short game!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ah, the magnificent mechanical bull, so majestic in its natural habitat.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Those bees! They are so blocky. :3:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Renée seems like she's a few elephants short of a zoo if you get my drift.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

Those bees! They are so blocky. :3:
I wonder if they have square honeycombs.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Also,how often are would you want to build a visitor center? That scroll seems really specific.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Air is lava! posted:

Also,how often are would you want to build a visitor center? That scroll seems really specific.
How else would you build a visitor center? Some form of... generic building scroll like a savage?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
For some reason animals look especially adorably when they're all blocky.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
my.... my update schedule :qq:

Anyway!

Ep. 16: The Matrix Has Them

Uhhh as I was saying these trees over here drop Cherry Blossoms instead of Cherries. Since the bear does not seem inclined to eat him, Sam goes back to collecting cherries and cherry parts. Eventually he has everything he needs to complete the Visitor Center scroll, and--

--AAAAAAA

So apparently Buddy and Lyndsay have merged into a single four-armed being now? Have I mentioned that this game can get a weeeeee bit glitchy?

aaaaugh

Anyway, Sam runs the gently caress away.

But eventually he has to go back, because the glitched-out Lynbuddy-thing does not fix itself, choosing instead to remain frozen in place and wave its four arms around.

: Looks like you got everything you need for Renee's Scroll! Let's see what you got!

I cannot stop taking pictures of this horrifying thing. Anyway! We get: a Cottage Door, Windows--Big, White, and Square--a Shed Roof and a Roof Extension, a Stovepipe Chimney, a Wood Fence, some Roses, and some Visitor Center Paints. Flee, flee, back to Renee.

: Excellent! Now we have everything we need to build the Visitor Center! Go ahead and construct it right here in front of the dock, and remember, surround it with lots of Nature stuff so the animals feel at home!

All righty then.

Lots of Nature, some Cute, and don't forget the Door. We can do this.

Only we run the crap out of Mana. Back to the Budsay!

Somehow Sam manages to pick the Lyndsay half out of the equation and talks to her to open the Transmute screen. As Marlon explained earlier, we can trade Essences for Mana. Some Essences are worth more Mana than others: Wood is a straight one-for-one trade, for example, while Simoleons are worth a cool five Mana apiece. Wood is easy to come by in large quantities right from the start of the game, though, so I usually use it as my currency even though it's not worth much.

Having gained some more Mana, Sam gets back to work on the Visitor's Center. Those are supposed to be big, right? Sam's never seen a Visitor's Center before, but he thinks they're probably big. Also, sloped.

There! That looks visit-y. Let's paint it.

No, pink doesn't suit. Concord... those are grapes, right? Grapes are natural. So that's a good color for a Nature Preserve Visitor's Center, right?

There. It's glorious.

Renee seems pleased, anyway. Ooh, a present!

Animal suits! ... wait.

There's a chest full of clothes on the boat and no one told Sam?

Rather dazed at this revelation Sam follows Renee over to the mechanical bull. Buddy and Lyndsay are supposed to be here. They do not appear, being too busy melding into a superSim over there.

: I couldn't find any real bulls, so I ordered this mechanical one instead! All the fun of a real bull without any of the mess!

Renee's smile fades and she sighs.

Huh. Maybe Sam should have put some windows on the back side of the Visitor's Center to break up that vast expanse of purple. ... oh, fine, listening to Renee now

: I couldn't hook up enough gears or axles to connect the ride because they're too noisy and scare the animals! Though now that you're here, maybe we can power the bull after all!

work work work that's all I ever do

: Here, take this Scroll; it'll teach you how to make gear belts! Once you're finished with the Scroll, come talk to me and I'll show you how to use them to power the bull!

Aaaand she literally hands the Scroll to thin air because Lyndsay is still glitched out. This scene may be missing dialogue because of that, but I'm not too bothered. I think we got the gist of it.

I guess we're going to build gear belts from fish and wood. Seems legit.

But first: GETTING OUT OF THESE PIG-SMELLY RAGS

That may be the first pair of shoes Sam's ever owned!

And those are definitely the first pairs of tiger, polar bear, and badger pajamas he's owned. Thanks, Renee!

Sam is dressed for success. Let's go fishing!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Fishiiiiiiing! :argh:

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Here's hoping that our friends are fixed from the teleportation accident. Marlon!:arghfist:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Thank you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Do you think the King is going to mind that we fused two of his subjects into an horrible abomination against nature?

• Locked thread