Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

This is where it all went wrong. Blown-up models make terrible character portraits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Ugh, that dialogue.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Looks like we are getting some DLC with our Minecraft Moon. Make same-sex marriage buyable after release and get all the fan money, Natsume. I hope we get a trailer soon, I need to see this in action in some form or another to get a better feel for it.

e: VVV Indeed it would, but I would not put it past them to use it to dance around the whole 'but think of THE KIDS' song and dance that comes up alongside the topic. If they even include it at all, who knows at this point.

I Watson fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 12, 2014

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

I Watson posted:

Looks like we are getting some DLC with our Minecraft Moon. Make same-sex marriage buyable after release and get all the fan money, Natsume. I hope we get a trailer soon, I need to see this in action in some form or another to get a better feel for it.

Actually, I would be incredibly pissed off if they locked it behind a pay wall. Even more pissed off then if it wasn't included at the first place.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bobblehead Minecraft: Only Technically Not a Knockoff Harvest Moon

Also yes, selling coming out as DLC would be an irredeemably cynical move.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/13/same-sex-marriage-in-harvest-moon-we-know-what-the-fans-are-lo/

There's your answer. It looks to me like they're open to it, but the company President's word stands.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Dehry posted:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/13/same-sex-marriage-in-harvest-moon-we-know-what-the-fans-are-lo/

There's your answer. It looks to me like they're open to it, but the company President's word stands.

And now for the next mystery: Is the game actually good? What hands-on impressions that have been posted so far have been mostly positive, but this time I am going to wait for reviews and player reactions after release before considering my purchase.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I just noticed Gamestop put Story of Seasons up with a release date of 12/31. No idea if that's set in stone or just an estimation at this point.

Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!
I really am still beyond amused Natsume is actually doing this. I mean I guess the Harvest Moon series has been possibly their biggest North America cash cow (heh) so they're not keen to let go of it without a fight.

Like others have said, best case scenario is being spoiled with double the fun farming games this year. I share the 'not buying on release' sentiments for it, though. I was already burnt by Hometown Story.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
More excited about Stardew Valley, but who knows when (if ever) it'll come out.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Green Jacket posted:

I mean I guess the Harvest Moon series has been possibly their biggest North America cash cow (heh) so they're not keen to let go of it without a fight.

I've actually heard they make more money as a whole off Reel Fishing, surprisingly enough.

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post
Is Harvest Moon DS (the first one for the regular DS) any good? If not, is there a Harvest Moon game that keeps it relatively simple like the N64 and SNES version did?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Zorato posted:

Is Harvest Moon DS (the first one for the regular DS) any good? If not, is there a Harvest Moon game that keeps it relatively simple like the N64 and SNES version did?

Harvest Moon games often have their own "quirks", but Harvest Moon DS is the buggiest game I have ever played. It was fun for a bit and I didn't complain too much about stumbling into being a millionaire, but I don't know if I'd recommend it. You can marry a mermaid and that's nice. If you really want an older game there's a version of Back to Nature on PSN, I think it's listed as Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl. Magical Melody for Gamecube was really cute too.

Hyper Big Breasts
May 14, 2006

^^^^ :thumbsup:

Zorato posted:

While I don't have any experience with the Harvest Moon DS games, I can list off some stuff anyways. My personal favorites when it comes to the simpler Harvest Moon games that you didn't already mention are the following:

Back to Nature (PS1/PSN too so you can play it on PS3, PSP, Vita, etc) - Has most of the same old characters from the N64 game, just takes place in a new town.
Friends of Mineral Town (GBA) - This is essentially a port of Back to Nature with new sprites and a top down view instead of an isometric one.
Magical Melody (GC/Wii) - I'd only recommend the Gamecube version though. The Wii one ripped out the female protag and added pointless waggle.

I also liked the GB ones a lot, but they're super simple. The first one's on the North American 3DS virtual console right now, and the rest will probably show up eventually seeing as the second one just got announced and the third one got rated recently.

Hyper Big Breasts fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 14, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zorato posted:

It's basically the GBA one expanded, though I tend to prefer the GBA one for balance reasons. Its big downside is that a whole bunch of versions of the game are buggy as hell, and potentially game-breaking. The latest version is mostly fixed in at least not having any game-breaking bugs, but you're gonna have to be somewhat lucky in picking it up randomly. Still, it's probably the closest to the N64 and PS1 games before the series started experimenting, though I'm inclined to say the GBA one in pacing the game out, since it's really easy to get rich in the DS one.

EDIT: Copy-pasting this just in case you feel like tracking down Harvest Moon DS.

The original harvest moon DS (version 1.0) makes it impossible to marry the Witch Princess and also makes it nearly impossible to marry the Harvest Goddess due to it's animal death counting glitches, preventing you from seeing the witches purple heart event, and an item glitch which makes it impossible to ship 1 of every item and complete the goddesses marriage requirements.

HOWEVER - The new version (Version 1.1) has no glitches in it, or nearly none, and in the new versoin you can marry both of the girls. Here is how to tell which version you have, the glitched one, or the fixed one.

Step 1.) - Look on the back of your Harvest Moon DS gamecard. You will see a row of numbers on the back, aka the games code. It is in bolded black.

Step 2.) - Check and see which of the following codes you have.

Version 1.0 (GlitchyVersion) - ABCENOJ13

Version 1.05 (StillGlitched) - ABCENOJ22

Version 1.1 (FixedVersion) - ABCEN1J09

Version 1.1 (FixedVersion) - ABCEN1J11

I think there was one more version that was manufactured that has all the fixes since my copy is ABCEN1J22, so yeah, you'd want one with ABCEN1J## on the back.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 14, 2014

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post
Thanks a lot for the advice and suggestions, you guys. :)

I noticed that nobody suggested any of the newer Harvest Moon games. Are all of the newer ones really complicated compared to the older ones (like the N64 and SNES version)?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Zorato posted:

I noticed that nobody suggested any of the newer Harvest Moon games. Are all of the newer ones really complicated compared to the older ones (like the N64 and SNES version)?

They can be fairly complex compared to the early games, with star points and soil quality, and all that sort of stuff. A New Beginning also drags the 'plot' on quite a while. If you get unlucky, it can take a few in game years to complete the main point of the game.

On a whole though, I like the newer ones more than the older set, overall. Then again, I'm a weirdo who really REALLY likes A(nother) Wonderful Life.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Not complicated to the point of ridiculousness, but certainly more complicated than the old ones. I'd recommend A New Beginning as one of the best ones available, but it has a ton of building and crafting that might get in the way if you just want to plant some goddamn crops and have a kid.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Zorato posted:

Some of the newer ones have gimmicks that I don't like enough to bother with and Rune Factory completely sucked me in.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Zorato posted:

I really like Two Towns setting and characters, and it has a ton of content, but it is really dragged down by how they gate progress. The Carpenter will only build a single expansion every season, and there are 25 of the things, so you are looking at more than 7 years in game at a minimum to build everything. Plus building those expansions is mutually exclusive with progressing the story, since that is done with carpenter projects as well.

I love the bug catching and the hand fishing, to the point I still kind of want to pick it up again for the 3DS, but several people in this thread have said that version is really buggy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So wait I haven't been following harvest moon details for a little, are there two HM games coming, one from Natsume and then the 'it's Harvest Moon but we don't own the name' one? And their both coming out around fall/winter?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Allarion posted:

It's basically the GBA one expanded, though I tend to prefer the GBA one for balance reasons. Its big downside is that a whole bunch of versions of the game are buggy as hell, and potentially game-breaking. The latest version is mostly fixed in at least not having any game-breaking bugs, but you're gonna have to be somewhat lucky in picking it up randomly. Still, it's probably the closest to the N64 and PS1 games before the series started experimenting, though I'm inclined to say the GBA one in pacing the game out, since it's really easy to get rich in the DS one.

EDIT: Copy-pasting this just in case you feel like tracking down Harvest Moon DS.

The original harvest moon DS (version 1.0) makes it impossible to marry the Witch Princess and also makes it nearly impossible to marry the Harvest Goddess due to it's animal death counting glitches, preventing you from seeing the witches purple heart event, and an item glitch which makes it impossible to ship 1 of every item and complete the goddesses marriage requirements.

HOWEVER - The new version (Version 1.1) has no glitches in it, or nearly none, and in the new versoin you can marry both of the girls. Here is how to tell which version you have, the glitched one, or the fixed one.

I don't suppose there's any indication on the packaging or something I can see before buying it, is there?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So wait I haven't been following harvest moon details for a little, are there two HM games coming, one from Natsume and then the 'it's Harvest Moon but we don't own the name' one? And their both coming out around fall/winter?

Yes. Natsume's new Harvest Moon is called "Harvest Moon 3D: The Lost Valley" and, while taking cues from previous titles, is unrelated to the actual Bokujo Monogatari series. XSEED is releasing the latest Bokujo Monogatari game as "Story of Seasons."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nifty, the previews make Lost Valley sound good and I've been interested in Seasons since it came out in Japan, nice to have a HM heavy holiday-ish season.

Hyper Big Breasts
May 14, 2006

Yeah, at first I thought it was kind of skeevy of Natsume to keep using the Harvest Moon name since it makes things really misleading and confusing, but hey, they own it so whatever. Now we get the Bokujou Monogatari games with better translations and quality control from XSEED, and this neo-Harvest Moon thing which could be good. I really liked messing around in Minecraft's creative mode so I think I might enjoy manipulating the landscape in The Lost Valley, bobble-headed characters be damned. Will definitely be waiting on reviews before biting though.

[EDIT] Also, seeing that post about asking the Natsume president if same-sex relationships would be possible reminded me that someone asked Hatsuu of XSEED a similar question, and their team is also open to it have requested it already. In the end though, it comes down to what the original developers in Japan decide. Would be nice to see both series make some progress in that regard.

Hyper Big Breasts fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 14, 2014

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

CeeCee at Natsume has started to answer questions over at Natsume's forum.

Release window is 'Fall' as opposed to Story of Seasons' 'Winter'.
In regards to the perceived rivalry between Natsume and XSEED: 'During E3, The Boss Man, someone from Marvelous, and one of the XSEED guys stood in the middle of our booth and chatted; I would’ve snapped a picture as “evidence” for the fans but not only would that have been super awkward for everyone involved, I was in the middle of a Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley demo ;)'
The majority of the dev team is being kept a secret at this time 'so that they can work peacefully on the game.'
Rivals for the spouses may or may not happen, the wording is vague perhaps because it is not a finalized thing.
You will have to build your own facilities like the barn, but this is not final so may change.
'The area outside your home cannot be edited (and the area outside of some NPC homes cannot be edited), but largely The Lost Valley is yours to do with as you wish. There is no "farm" section. Anywhere is potential farmland.'
Cooking is getting a 'major overhaul', possibly because the producer worked on Cooking Mama.
The 3D in the title refers to the terrain Minecraftin', 'plants may end up having a different yield depending on planting conditions.'
The game may well come out in Japan because it is being developed in Japanese, but this is for Natsume USA, so localization is being done on the spot as it is made.
The game will start in Winter and you will have to unlock the seasons themselves in the storyline.
They promise that no content will be stripped out in favor for the DLC, it is '100% optional' and will focus on post-game content.
DLC will probably not be available at launch.
They are actively relaying feedback about what characters the fans are screaming at them to be marriageable, so them being available is possible in DLC if they are not already offered to start with.
Multiplayer and online features will be revealed closer to launch.

She is planning on answering more questions as they come in, so that thread is worth a watch if you are curious.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP7NMd5P-EE

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, not really caring for that art style. Admittedly was never the biggest fan of Minecraft so the new gameplay isn't really selling itself to me either, so I'll still stick with waiting for reviews before thinking about it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The mix of blocky and non-blocky terrain looks seriously janky. The animals just look weird with the round bodies, but elongated heads. And hot drat, do the character models look terrible when blown up for dialogue. It just looks...really not good, in general.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

XSEED threw this video up yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTAbFUVA6gg

All it is the 'hey guys, this is that game from that series we can't call Harvest Moon' box art gallery.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
A bit weird considering there is gameplay they could have shown off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTAbFUVA6gg

I'm guessing they haven't done enough translation/localization to throw together a gameplay trailer yet.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Rune Factory 4 is amazingly improved from RF3 and the others so far! I'm at the fourth dungeon after Venti collapses and the chipsqueek steals your charm. Are the recipes you get via Bread random? I've ended up with a ton of Rod/Staff recipes compared to every other weapon. Does Farming Bread only give you recipes for tools, and around what levels do you need for it to work past the second level (the one above the Cheap set)?

I haven't decided what crazy girl I'll marry, they're all so good.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Recipes gained are random, but for weapon bread your weapon levels also determine what recipes are currently available to you. I haven't confirmed this but you'll get crafting recipes for levels twice that of your weapon skills.

Farming bread comes in tiers at crafting level 5, 15, 30, 45, and 80 and provide only tools. You'll also need farming skill similar to weapon crafting.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You might just wanna look up on a wiki and do recipes you want blind. Usually you can do recipes ten above your level, though early game your limited to your total RP cap, which is rather low.

If you do it blind you don't need levels in the relevant skill, which is helpful for outfitting townies.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Allarion posted:

Step 1.) - Look on the back of your Harvest Moon DS gamecard. You will see a row of numbers on the back, aka the games code. It is in bolded black.

Step 2.) - Check and see which of the following codes you have.

Version 1.0 (GlitchyVersion) - ABCENOJ13

Version 1.05 (StillGlitched) - ABCENOJ22

Version 1.1 (FixedVersion) - ABCEN1J09

Version 1.1 (FixedVersion) - ABCEN1J11

I think there was one more version that was manufactured that has all the fixes since my copy is ABCEN1J22, so yeah, you'd want one with ABCEN1J## on the back.

I dug out the copy I got on release day all those years ago, and the code on the back reads ABCEN0J20. I played the everliving poo poo out of it and never noticed any glitches. YMMV, though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Whenever I take a townperson hunting (RF4), they suck and die. A big part of it is that they are all about 90 levels below me, but their equipment also sucks. How can I give them better armor and weapons (if I even can)? Do I need to consider if they're a spear/hammer/sword type?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Whenever I take a townperson hunting (RF4), they suck and die. A big part of it is that they are all about 90 levels below me, but their equipment also sucks. How can I give them better armor and weapons (if I even can)? Do I need to consider if they're a spear/hammer/sword type?

You can, just give it to them and they'll wear it. I think they can use any weapon, but it may muck with their specials if you give them one that isn't their specialty. The level issue solves itself pretty quickly.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Gamerofthegame posted:

You might just wanna look up on a wiki and do recipes you want blind. Usually you can do recipes ten above your level, though early game your limited to your total RP cap, which is rather low.

If you do it blind you don't need levels in the relevant skill, which is helpful for outfitting townies.

There's a bit of an RP penalty doing them blind, if my efforts in making pineapple juice without the cooking+ bread are a good example. I've got the same cooking level as the recipe itself and it still requires a good 1k+ more than my RP maximum.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sage Grimm posted:

There's a bit of an RP penalty doing them blind, if my efforts in making pineapple juice without the cooking+ bread are a good example. I've got the same cooking level as the recipe itself and it still requires a good 1k+ more than my RP maximum.

I've got the exact same problem of not being able to make pineapple juice. What's a good recipe to grind the last few skill levels (88+) up in cooking? I'm making relax tea when I have leeks\honey available right now, but it's slooooooow going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

LLSix posted:

I've got the exact same problem of not being able to make pineapple juice. What's a good recipe to grind the last few skill levels (88+) up in cooking? I'm making relax tea when I have leeks\honey available right now, but it's slooooooow going.

Those recipes are nigh impossible to make without prep to reduce rp consumption, as well as get your max rp increased significantly. You do get the recipe in a chest in the lategame though.

• Locked thread