Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Discomancer posted:

that poo poo look like a anime bike

Close enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

I periodically become obsessed with the idea of a V-Max (current gen) and the ownership thereof. Something about a 1700cc, 200-hp Yamaha cruiser is just so compelling. Slap a big windshield and some saddlebags on that rear end and lay down 1's into the sunset.

If it actually had 200hp that'd be nice.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Lynza posted:

Arguably I was in the car and looking over at it, so maybe it just looked little? I wasn't trying to insult anyone's motostud cred. I also meant just size-wise, not power-wise. It looked little from where I was sitting.

This is really funny. I'm like 6'2" and objectively fat, and the Uly is whopping gigantic compared to every other bike I've ridden (except for the Goldwing).

My motostud-cred remains undamaged. I'm honestly impressed.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Maybe she saw a normal Lightning? Those are tiny.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 17, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mguirk the jerk posted:

Thanks for the info. It actually does include heated grips and a powerlet, but the guy forgot to mention them. Regardless I ended up with a clean 2006 K1200S at a price I couldn't refuse. I'll be picking her up next weekend, doing a once-over at the mechanic's, and headed from PA to visit my dad's gravesite in Florida for July 4 weekend. The bike has the rails for BMW's expanding hard luggage but the bags are $800 so gently caress that. I bought some used RKA soft bags on the bay for $100 and then I'll pick up a seat bag at Revzilla. Done.

Congrats.

Is that smack in the middle of the vintage of the final drive bearing woes or where they worked out then?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

If it actually had 200hp that'd be nice.

It has like 197 or something (at the crank). I'm sure with some mild exhaust fuckery (or something) you could find 3 BHP.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

It has like 197 or something (at the crank). I'm sure with some mild exhaust fuckery (or something) you could find 3 BHP.

According to everything I can find on the net it has 170-odd at the crank...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I just looked at a bunch of dyno charts and they all seem to hover around 170-odd at the wheel. Factor drivetrain loss (shafts are inefficient) and I can see 200ish crank powers.

Rider Magazine posted:

Its all-new V-4 grew to 1,679cc and claimed output at the crank increased to 200 horsepower—later downgraded to 197 but still enough to be the most powerful production motorcycle of the day.
http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/2014-ducati-diavel-strada-vs-2014-star-vmax.htm/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That honestly surprises me because there's no way a bike with that much grunt should be slower than the Diavel. Also disagrees with a bunch of magazines I've read.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Shorter wheelbase, less than ideal gearing, maybe?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Diavel has a 160lb advantage, too.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Suspicious Package posted:

Does it make me a hipster if I kind of want a SR400? Price seems a little high for what it is, but I like the look, and it's different than most of the other bikes I see on the road these days (I'm in the US).

I'm glad you mentioned this I hadn't even heard of it. I have an illogical love of kickstarters :allears:

I can't find a horsepower spec for it. It'll probably be a dog at interstate speeds but I guess that isn't the point of the bike.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

That honestly surprises me because there's no way a bike with that much grunt should be slower than the Diavel. Also disagrees with a bunch of magazines I've read.

There's also the previous-gen V-Max which had like a liter or something.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

ADINSX posted:

I'm glad you mentioned this I hadn't even heard of it. I have an illogical love of kickstarters :allears:

I can't find a horsepower spec for it. It'll probably be a dog at interstate speeds but I guess that isn't the point of the bike.

It makes 23 horsepower. You might be better off on an actual horse. They also go when you kick them I hear.

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

M. Night Skymall posted:

It makes 23 horsepower. You might be better off on an actual horse. They also go when you kick them I hear.

It looks like it weighs 384 lb. I guess this would put it around a ninja 250 in power to weight ratio? Even though I'm looking at beginner bikes, it would be nice to have enough power to make the highway tolerable. I think the biggest problem here is they want $6000 for it. The Suzuki tu250x has a similar style for around $4400 new, with probably only a few horsepower less.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Ninja 250 is more like 30 horsepower and 360 pounds. I don't fully grasp the concept of a non-dirtbike with a single cylinder.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't fully grasp the concept of a non-car with an I4... but it's just another way to get torque to the wheel.

Like any config, there are advantages to thumpers, like maintenance complexity. The SR400 has 4 valves and one throttle body that doesn't need to be synced with any others. Fewer bearings, fewer conrods, fewer parts. With an engine that gutless, you probably aren't going to be eating up chains and cheap tires very quickly either.

I think the folks who deride its price haven't been paying attention to new bike prices over the past few years. Everything except a new Strom is too expensive.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

I don't fully grasp the concept of a non-car with an I4... but it's just another way to get torque to the wheel.

Like any config, there are advantages to thumpers, like maintenance complexity. The SR400 has 4 valves and one throttle body that doesn't need to be synced with any others. Fewer bearings, fewer conrods, fewer parts. With an engine that gutless, you probably aren't going to be eating up chains and cheap tires very quickly either.

I think the folks who deride its price haven't been paying attention to new bike prices over the past few years. Everything except a new Strom is too expensive.

You honestly think a CB500 is too expensive in a world where the SR400 costs MORE?

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

How is it even possible to make that little power?!?!?!?!

What does a Grom make?

Edit: a Grom makes 9ish horsepower

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ShaneB posted:

You honestly think a CB500 is too expensive in a world where the SR400 costs MORE?

Everything is too expensive. I'm not putting relative value judgements on anything but the Strom here.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

tbb9 posted:

How is it even possible to make that little power?!?!?!?!

What does a Grom make?

Edit: a Grom makes 9ish horsepower

I don't understand how you can enjoy riding that thing (I get how you might like how it looks). It must lose roll on power in 3rd

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Razzled posted:

I don't understand how you can enjoy riding that thing (I get how you might like how it looks). It must lose roll on power in 3rd

I rode a 14hp 250 for a few months, and it was an absolute blast. Bieks are fun, and that's all there is to it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I wonder why they didn't reintroduce the almost identical SR500 instead; still having to release a 400cc model for Japanese tax reasons?

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

Razzled posted:

I'd imagine it's like riding a little sm dirtbike you can put plates on

I don't think anyone is buying a Grom for 3rd gear pulls

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Razzled posted:

Here's a hint: put the helmet on, kick it over, and putt around. That's fun on anything.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

tbb9 posted:

I'd imagine it's like riding a little sm dirtbike you can put plates on

I don't think anyone is buying a Grom for 3rd gear pulls

:sun: but Groms are little and cute! (also I was talking about the SR400 sorry)

The SR400 trailer is almost as bad as that hipster video someone posted earlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQxyMAdNncc

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hondas: I would take either a Grom or a Gold Wing.

Or both! Put one inside the other!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I think if you put in context for how cheap you could get a SV650 just before the recession, which is arguably more bike.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

captainOrbital posted:

That would be a pretty cool touring setup...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coredump posted:

I think if you put in context for how cheap you could get a SV650 just before the recession, which is arguably more bike.

Put any current model in context with its pre-recession price and you'll be telling the young punk kids about how good the world used to be.

2006 Sporty 883: $7000
2014 883: $8,250

2006 Strom 650: $6700
2014 Strom 650: $8500

2006 GSX-R600: $8800
2014 GSX-R600: $11,700

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

Razzled posted:

Not any worse than the edgy promo for the Ninja: http://youtu.be/jgR93EqDYBU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Razzled posted:

http://youtu.be/jgR93EqDYBU

My god thats terrible. Not for the hipster poo poo but because it looked and sounded like it was filmed in the 90s.

I think its a cool little bike, honestly if the fit and finish looked good in person and it came in a cool color I'd consider buying it.

edit: It also sounds like a sewing machine in the video, but I'm sure there will be some after market pipes.

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 19, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Razzled posted:

You know what this reminds me of? That speech in Regular Cars' review of the Bandit 1250 about trying too hard. Somehow I can see the hipster crowd snubbing the SR400 for the authentic spiritual experience of ruining an old UJM.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Suspicious Package posted:

Not any worse than the edgy promo for the Ninja: http://youtu.be/jgR93EqDYBU

Yay Chicago!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Like any config, there are advantages to thumpers, like maintenance complexity. The SR400 has 4 valves and one throttle body that doesn't need to be synced with any others.

Just FYI the SR400 has two valves. :sun:

You think you are some special need of complex engine? Intake petrol go in, explode, exhaust go out. No more is needed. You think you need three, four, six of cylinders and twenty of valves. No. You fill tank, go ride until tank empty, fill again, do this one hundred of times. Then maybe you have knowledge of riding enough to want more valves in engine. Until then is waste.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
2-valve, even better. You could fix it with a caveman's club.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

You think you are some special need of complex engine? Intake petrol go in, explode, exhaust go out. No more is needed. You think you need three, four, six of cylinders and twenty of valves. No. You fill tank, go ride until tank empty, fill again, do this one hundred of times. Then maybe you have knowledge of riding enough to want more valves in engine. Until then is waste.

zen

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

Or put the wing engine in a Grom. Call it the Gromwing!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't find it right now, but I remember seeing someone cramming a 4-cylinder 600cc supersport engine into a pit bike frame.

It was more engine than bike and its behavior under power was...interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Just FYI the SR400 has two valves. :sun:

I want bike built like AK-47.