Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Everyone (poops) whiskey throttles. Here's Anna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxY2a9OQd68

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Guni posted:

Hey goons,

Wondering if anyone can help/offer advice etc:

Was casually (heh) riding along on my 2010 Husqy TE 250, go to change down from 4th to 3rd (was only doing about 60KM/h) and the bike stalls out, but the engine kicks back in (sort of let the clutch out at the time it stalled out), anywho, that's all cool, poo poo happens, but wait! About 20m down the road the bike completely stops (held the clutch in and immediately stopped).

I then try to electric start the bike and nothings happening - I can hear the battery/starter motor/whatever working, but absolutely nothing from the engine, keep trying for a couple of goes and it fires up! How weird is that? Oh, what's that? It stalls out again? ... that's very weird.

After that, I tried the kickstarter, holy gently caress it's seized...and the bike still hasn't been started...

I'm thinking the engine is seized?

Tbh, I'm pretty pissed - I ride the fucker hard, but it's always had oil changes + services + air filter cleaned often at the right intervals and such.

The real kick in the nuts? It's only done 1730KM...
That's how my 675 acted when a bunch of lower end bearings spun / seized. :v:

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

:(

Pretty sure whatever it is, it's going to cost a fair bit - probably going to give the Husqy dealership a call tomorrow and describe it to them (99% sure this has happened to other people over at another forum that I google-fu'd). A full rebuild may be in order...Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the country and my dad works away so he doesn't have the time to do it himself..

Not looking forward to this $$$$..

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

BlackMK4 posted:

Also what happened when the top end of my tw200 seized. It is such a caveman design. There is no bearing that the camshaft rides in. It is a bushing in a machined hole in the aluminum head. Top end starved of oil, camshaft got super hot, bushing got super hot, head got super hot, everything locked up tight while riding down the road

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

DrakeriderCa posted:

So it turns out I'm dumb and don't know how to ride a dirt bike. I have a cheap chinese 4-stroke 250 enduro that's got an appropriate level of power for me but my buddy convinced me to try his YZ250F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHofqBu5jP4

I sprained my wrist and broke a bone in my hand although it doesn't look much like it in the video. Any good resources on where to learn how not to do this again?

Everoyone on thumpertalk recommends Shane Watts' instructional videos/classes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCzWZUxE8BY

You can see the basic drills from his videos: ride around cones and practice fundamentals.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIg3Z2q7zOw

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
^Wish I could ride my rm125 like that.

VikingSkull posted:

The light weight I think makes it more fun than, say, a 450 would be, I can really toss it around and is controllable as all hell.

The crappy thing is that it weighs the same as a 450. A 450 atv isn't like starting out on a 450 dirt bike. You should try one out some time if you get a chance.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 10, 2014

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Went out on my own today. The trails need to dry out.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Moving' up the pack. 2nd place finishes in both motos today, and my first MX trophy. My race strategy of not riding over my head and hurting myself worked out pretty well. I might try that again sometime.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

DrakeriderCa posted:

So it turns out I'm dumb and don't know how to ride a dirt bike. I have a cheap chinese 4-stroke 250 enduro that's got an appropriate level of power for me but my buddy convinced me to try his YZ250F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHofqBu5jP4

I sprained my wrist and broke a bone in my hand although it doesn't look much like it in the video. Any good resources on where to learn how not to do this again?

Sounds like a YZ250, not the YZ250f. That's a big jump in power and power delivery. It's more akin to a 450 four stroke except harder to ride. I have a CRF450R and a KX250 and the KX is harder to handle.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Ramsus posted:

Sounds like a YZ250, not the YZ250f. That's a big jump in power and power delivery. It's more akin to a 450 four stroke except harder to ride. I have a CRF450R and a KX250 and the KX is harder to handle.

Yeah, my bad - it was definitely a two stroke YZ250. I'm looking forward to a day in the future where my skills are developed to the point that I can safely handle a bike like that because it would be fun as hell.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I can ride my bike finally! After the third knee surgery!

It still hurts like a bastard - but it's MUCH better. A couple more months and I hope to be 90% of the way there. I took this video to get some footage of Anna (as she requested).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbtVgFQRWGc

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
What are my options with a sleeved cylinder? It is an 86 CR250 engine. The radiators failed, it ran hot, burned out the piston. I don't have pics of the piston (I pulled it last summer) and I am finally getting around to dealing with the bike, but the cylinder has been sleeved previously. It looks to my untrained eye that it might need work and there are some dents above the exhaust port and what i presume are flat spots.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Kony Kid posted:

hahahahahaha classic whiskey throttle. Your video was doomed the second I saw street helmets. When I teach girls to ride my xr100 I always tell them to exaggerate the lean forward to prevent exactly your crash.

The fact that you know what happened is a good start. The solution should be pretty obvious... lean forward. You are stopping yourself from flying off the back of the bike only by the fact that you are holding onto the bars, this is totally wrong. Your arms should be loose and free to flap around. Use your feet and rear end, mostly your rear end, to stay on the seat. This means lean that upper body forward and push the rear end into the seat.

A lot of guys on this forum will tell you to weight the pegs. This is an advanced technique for very experienced riders. Do not worry about the pegs as much as keeping your butt into the seat. I would bet money 99% of the guys on this very forum can not properly weight the pegs on a dirt bike.

You will inevitably have to stand up while riding a proper dirt bike, so apply the same logic as when seated. Lean forward ALWAYS. you should never stand straight up, always be hunched over at the hips. Literally your arms should be dangling onto the bars.

Also to avoid looking like a total spode, please watch a professional supercross or motocross race and just study body position. You seem sharp enough to pick it up.

is this humor? I'm just kind of shocked your post is under 4000 words.

Well put! My first ride on a dirtbike was a true MX YZ250 (from a motorcross racer). He convinced me to ride the motocross track up near Conroe Texas but gave me some pretty sound pointers including a description of whiskey wrist, staying out of anything above 3rd gear, leaning forward as much as possible, and going over jumps VERY SLOWLY. I survived without hurting myself and had borrowed some decent MX gear as well. 2 laps and I was friggin' EXHAUSTED. The dude I went with was in his 50's turning 8-9 laps before taking a break. :coal:

I had a blast and I'd love some tame woods riding. The only thing really keeping me back is how my XR is flood happy and I'm worried that when I dump it I won't be able to start the drat thing. I'll definitely give it a try again though.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Well put! My first ride on a dirtbike was a true MX YZ250 (from a motorcross racer). He convinced me to ride the motocross track up near Conroe Texas but gave me some pretty sound pointers including a description of whiskey wrist, staying out of anything above 3rd gear, leaning forward as much as possible, and going over jumps VERY SLOWLY. I survived without hurting myself and had borrowed some decent MX gear as well. 2 laps and I was friggin' EXHAUSTED. The dude I went with was in his 50's turning 8-9 laps before taking a break. :coal:

I had a blast and I'd love some tame woods riding. The only thing really keeping me back is how my XR is flood happy and I'm worried that when I dump it I won't be able to start the drat thing. I'll definitely give it a try again though.

Good for you, man! I'll be doing more riding on and off road and learning as much as I can, to get more into it.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

EX250 Type R posted:

What are my options with a sleeved cylinder? It is an 86 CR250 engine. The radiators failed, it ran hot, burned out the piston. I don't have pics of the piston (I pulled it last summer) and I am finally getting around to dealing with the bike, but the cylinder has been sleeved previously. It looks to my untrained eye that it might need work and there are some dents above the exhaust port and what i presume are flat spots.

This is who did my replate:
http://www.usnicom.com/

Call them with your questions and get a service manual for your bike.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Been cutting down tons of stuff in my backyard, still have tons to go.

I know I ride like poo poo (and the angle is terrible), but I had fun today :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h4TP7-q7pQ

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Looks like fun. I wish I had a place like that.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I broke the end of a cylinder head stud off on my 04 yz450. I'm definitely still riding it when I get the rest of it back together. (I was using a torque wrench!)

So I guess what I'm saying is: does anyone have a cylinder head for sale? Mine is gonna snap soon.

For real though, it's on the side of the cam chain channel. How bad could it be?

edit: after seeing how much a new head costs, I elected to get a new stud and head gasket and just do it over. The problem was that I was using the torque wrench from above the nut but it goes on upside down so I just used it in the counter clockwise direction. The torque wrench doesn't work in that direction. So don't try to torque something lefty tighty.

I still can't ride it yet because the rear axle was super rusted in place and I kinda messed it up taking it off so I'm waiting on a new one.

So now I have spent almost $2000 getting this thing nice with new top end gaskets, a valve adjustment, fixed the timing (PO had it like two teeth off how in the hell?), new wheel bearings all around (previous ones were really bad), new tires, new grips and levers, new paint on some bits, etc. and the thing keeping me from riding it is the drat axle having screwy threads.

ChewedFood fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 20, 2014

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
^^a good joke

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Drake: Yeah definite whiskey throttle. We've probably all done it. Bummer it broke a bone though. Def check out some riding instructional vids and work on gripping the tank with your legs (it's hard to get it to be instinct I'm still working on it) as your arms should be loose on the bars not pulling on them too much. That's how it's supposed to be but I still find myself having to remind myself to grip the drat tank and not be so tight/tough on my arms. It's all a learning process. Also yeah janky chinese 4 stroke to YZ250 2 stroke, that's a pretty huge jump as well as 2 strokes deliver power in a totally different way, as you found out through your video. It's more of an explosion of power vs. a chug a lug torquey feel. Keep at it, 2 strokes are super fun to ride.

Rotten posted:

Been cutting down tons of stuff in my backyard, still have tons to go.

I know I ride like poo poo (and the angle is terrible), but I had fun today :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h4TP7-q7pQ

Nice! Looks like you can definitely make a fun little loop out of that. Saw some hills in a bit of it, make yourself some good downhills/uphills too. That would own. I did somewhat the same at my parents house, but with open field and zero trails cut so most of it was wide open through field or bush wacking it through the woods looking to see what would be fun to make trails on. Was good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3np8TQfsZo

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I struggle with arm pump(don't get to ride often is the biggest problem) and hanging on with my thighs. I have bad habits from beginning with quads.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Dylan Macritchie is #2 in NETRA (from last year) and has won 2 of the four races so far this year. Anna interviewed him for TrailRider. We got a couple riding tips at my favorite track. Here's a shot:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I finally got the KDX200 back together.

I think I posted here last summer about it. I had to cut the old swingarm and rear link off with a grinder and sawzall since the previous owner didn't ever grease the bearings. I got a swingarm and link off eaby for $50 last summer and finally got the bearings last week and put it back together.

Edit: Here's the pics from the work I did last summer:

I tried using freeze off and a sledge hammer for 2 weeks before I decided to cut it out. Grease your swingarm bolt and bearings sirs.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 25, 2014

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

poo poo this makes me want one. Except I sort of live in the city so a small dirtbike would be a dumb thing to buy.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I started riding in the construction zone behind my house :shhh: and practising using my thighs and keeping my weight forward. Huge difference. I can actually feel the bike doing what it's supposed to, and I can cross all kinds of terrain at speed much more easily.

Thanks, dirt bike bros!

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Looks nice Ramsus!

Yeah moving up on the seat and hanging out on the gas tank was eye opening.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Rotten posted:

Looks nice Ramsus!

Yeah moving up on the seat and hanging out on the gas tank was eye opening.

The best part was that all of a sudden my legs were at the right angle to squeeze with my thighs while bracing my feet properly on the pedals.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Also, stand up if you're not already. Feels wonky at first but you'll be surprized at what you can cross without having to duck paddle like a goon if you're standing up. Stand up, grip tank with knees(I'm still really bad about not doing this, it's something I have to think about and not reflex yet), and be over the bars with elbows out. Then newb it up on a tiny log and fall over like a goon at 2mph like meeeee.

Picture not related.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii
sup goons, checking in after a busy couple of weeks. Took the '96 RM for my first hare scramble/track experience, and holy poo poo it was awesome. I raced VetC (1.5 hour course), and my only real goal was to finish the race and not die. So that worked out, and I really learned a lot about pacing myself and everything. I usually trail ride with my father in law, who slowly rides a quad and I end up stopping all the time to wait up for him, we take long breaks and bullshit etc. But having to push for that long really forces you to figure out ways to conserve energy, and the next ride I did after that I could push for a lot longer and be more relaxed on the bike.

One weird thing, is I've never felt comfortable with a finger over the front brake, as it seemed to compromise my grip on the throttle. But doing that seems to force my legs to pick up the slack and tires me out a lot less. Jumps are cool and scary! Looking forward to doing a few more scrambles over the summer, and I still need to go riding with some of you WA goons.

One of the photographers got a cool shot that makes me look a lot more badass than I really am

e: also I better go grease my bearings, if ya know what I mean

PoopSok fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 5, 2014

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Lookin' good! I think everyone should race - who cares about winning, the experience is awesome.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Picked up a service stand from my neighbours garage sale today. That saves me from building one with 2x4's and glue and crushing my femur because the bike fell off

It even has the little oil jug for oil changes. Pretty nice little unit.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ziMvHZQSs

I'm pretty sure I want to also get a little dirtbike for riding trails in southern GA and learning to ride MX in the future. If I were to look for something around the $1k area what would be some good recommendations for a 6'1" 215 lbs dude? I'm taking the MSF dirt biking course soon but I figure I'll start looking now and gathering info.

Plus there's less mailboxes in the dirt world :sun:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
KDX200/220 96 or newer. The last update besides graphics was 96. Tame enough for a beginner, but loads of room to grow. Can race harescrambles with it and win.

The KDX200 or KDX220 are probably the only trail bikes worth a poo poo at that price.

Here is a good rider on a KDX200
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DPNanQIlic

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 8, 2014

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

PoopSok posted:

sup goons, checking in after a busy couple of weeks. Took the '96 RM for my first hare scramble/track experience, and holy poo poo it was awesome. I raced VetC (1.5 hour course), and my only real goal was to finish the race and not die. So that worked out, and I really learned a lot about pacing myself and everything. I usually trail ride with my father in law, who slowly rides a quad and I end up stopping all the time to wait up for him, we take long breaks and bullshit etc. But having to push for that long really forces you to figure out ways to conserve energy, and the next ride I did after that I could push for a lot longer and be more relaxed on the bike.

One weird thing, is I've never felt comfortable with a finger over the front brake, as it seemed to compromise my grip on the throttle. But doing that seems to force my legs to pick up the slack and tires me out a lot less. Jumps are cool and scary! Looking forward to doing a few more scrambles over the summer, and I still need to go riding with some of you WA goons.

One of the photographers got a cool shot that makes me look a lot more badass than I really am

e: also I better go grease my bearings, if ya know what I mean

Hey I'm a Wa goon and I'm about to go ride trails in tahuya right now. A group of friends and I go just about every weekend. I am also interested in trying my hand at racing. I'm just scared I won't be good enough.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii

ChewedFood posted:

Hey I'm a Wa goon and I'm about to go ride trails in tahuya right now. A group of friends and I go just about every weekend. I am also interested in trying my hand at racing. I'm just scared I won't be good enough.

Nice! I was just there yesterday too. Got the whole family out, including the old man, which was really cool. Perfect conditions, beautiful day.
We were the big group at the picnic table close to the bathrooms (unfortunately) at the Elfendahl Pass staging area. So since I don't have a PM account, you WA goons should shoot me an email or a text
kevin . dalziel at gmail OR two 0 six 992 five 8 seven 0

am I doing that right?

anyways, would love to go hit some trails with you guys one of these weekends :v:

Razzled posted:

So after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ziMvHZQSs

I'm pretty sure I want to also get a little dirtbike for riding trails in southern GA and learning to ride MX in the future. If I were to look for something around the $1k area what would be some good recommendations for a 6'1" 215 lbs dude? I'm taking the MSF dirt biking course soon but I figure I'll start looking now and gathering info.

Plus there's less mailboxes in the dirt world :sun:

that video was amazing, are they just using some bluetooth communicator type things?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I've got about 200 miles of mountain biking between me and my third knees surgery. I rode yesterday for the first time in a while and was having a blast. Feel pretty drat good. My left leg is still very weak, but the pain is significantly less. Blitzing through chop didn't make me cry out in pain.

Downside is I boiled my rear brake twice yesterday. Maybe need to change my strategy a bit.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Yeah I tend to boil my rear brake as well. Near as I can tell I might be dragging my toe on it when I'm sitting down? What should I look for to keep that from happening. Sucks balls having to sit around for 10-15 while it cools. I also have the brake fluid expansion chamber on it as well so I'm running more fluid than stock, I've still locked it up.

Thoughts?

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Silver posted:

Yeah I tend to boil my rear brake as well. Near as I can tell I might be dragging my toe on it when I'm sitting down? What should I look for to keep that from happening. Sucks balls having to sit around for 10-15 while it cools. I also have the brake fluid expansion chamber on it as well so I'm running more fluid than stock, I've still locked it up.

Thoughts?

Wait, the brake locks up? Usually when you boil the fluid you lose all braking power. If your system is locking up I would swap out the fluid and pray it was just old fluid. Another thing it might be is OVER filling the system with fluid. You still have that rubber bladder underneath the master cylinder cap right?

Otherwise the obvious thing to do is adjust your brake lever engagement point lower. On your ktm you would adjust the plunger that's attached to the rear of the lever.

Second thing you could try is using EBC Red pads. They are a soft carbon based material that absorbs waaaaaay more heat than the stock pads. They are a bit more expensive than the cheapies from rockymountain, but you won't boil your brakes anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Ah ok, yeah didn't know that boiling over - lose brakes. Yeah mine get really hot and lock up. I just rebuilt the rear master so fluid is new basically. I adjusted them before this and it did it, so then lowered the lever and it did it again, might have to just lower it some more I guess. Thinking I'm just dragging my toe when sitting and it's causing the brakes to overheat. When they lock up the rear disk and whatnot is hot as poo poo. I'll adjust again, would like to find a good middle ground as before this was happening and the reason I adjusted was because they were fine when sitting but when standing I have to really stab deep with my toe to get on the rear brake. Trial and error.