Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Zemyla posted:

Man, I love Lorwyn's RB much more than Rakdos RB. These guys just want to experience everything.
No joke, Lorwyn RB manages to perfectly nail both Red and Black in flavor, while RtR's Rakdos is waaaay more Black than Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I can't wait to watch Prophetic Flamespeaker dominate standard post-rotation.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Veyrall posted:

No joke, Lorwyn RB manages to perfectly nail both Red and Black in flavor, while RtR's Rakdos is waaaay more Black than Red.

They're both pretty hedonistic though, right? I got the impression that was RB's thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyshall posted:

I can't wait to watch Prophetic Flamespeaker dominate standard post-rotation.

Considering it's seeing very little play in block, I wouldn't hold out for this unless the next two sets are insanely good to it.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

What do you guys think about the prospects of Snapcaster Mage increasing in value over time? I'm being propositioned at $30 for mine, lightly played. I can probably push it to $35 but I don't want to offload it at one-half of what it could be worth, like I did with LoTV. :smithicide:

What say ye all to that deal?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

What do you guys think about the prospects of Snapcaster Mage increasing in value over time? I'm being propositioned at $30 for mine, lightly played. I can probably push it to $35 but I don't want to offload it at one-half of what it could be worth, like I did with LoTV. :smithicide:

Snapcaster is poised for some gains.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
As a teen I loved the Building on A Budget column on wizards.com, mostly for experimentation with ideas and and detailed deck evolution in the post-Heiss incarnations. It was about building a solid foundation around quirky ideas and giving underused cards a chance to shine.

Is there currently anything similar, at least in spirit, on the site?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Most likely built this deck incorrectly. Went 3–0 nonetheless (2–1, 2–0, 2–0, including getting my T1 Mountain Strip Mined in the last game and never drawing another red source).

Going to see if I can get streaming figured out, then perhaps I'll use my winnings for a draft tomorrow night.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

Considering it's seeing very little play in block, I wouldn't hold out for this unless the next two sets are insanely good to it.
The mechanic it uses has thusfar been shown to be considerably better in more powerful, deeper formats where your mana curve is that much lower so I wouldn't say block has much bearing on his power level.

crazy8
Aug 27, 2003

bawk bawk
Since vintage dailies are going to be a thing now,do you think that will make deathrite shamans go up at all? Basically should i buy like 20 of them and horde them? Also i cant see them staying banned in modern for forever.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

As a teen I loved the Building on A Budget column on wizards.com, mostly for experimentation with ideas and and detailed deck evolution in the post-Heiss incarnations. It was about building a solid foundation around quirky ideas and giving underused cards a chance to shine.

Is there currently anything similar, at least in spirit, on the site?

I enjoy reading From the Lab but that's more like a Johnnys Paradise of "take a card and build a stupid and/or powerful combo around it."

I kinda want him to do another article like Spinning the Wheel though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

Assuming M15 and the Fall Block have options so that you aren't required to run Green in your decks I don't think that Theros block is going to mean much going forward. It seems a little more insular than previous block formats which still didnt carry much over into post rotation Standard.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Dungeon Ecology posted:

In my area at least snapcasters are like gold. They're one of those cards that everyone who wants to play modern long term will want a playset of. I swapped for one recently for far more than it was worth on SCG prices, but was fairly happy to, considering a lot of what I swapped was standard mono B stuff which will rotate out fairly soon. The real miracle was finding someone who actually had one to swap.

I would hold on to it, especially if you think there's ever a chance you want to play it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Anything that gives it protection and a boost in power.

crazy8 posted:

Since vintage dailies are going to be a thing now,do you think that will make deathrite shamans go up at all? Basically should i buy like 20 of them and horde them? Also i cant see them staying banned in modern for forever.

I'm not sure why it would. Deathrite Shaman doesn't do anything particularly amazing in Vintage. Its just too slow of a hoser.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
MODO seems more terrible by the day. I mostly play EDH (lol) on it and I've never seen a bigger group of babies than MODO EDH players. Some of the comments I see are hilarious

"NO COUNTERSPELLS"

"NO MONO COLORS, DRAW EXTRA CARDS OR PLANESWALKERS"

and I just saw "NO BLUE"

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

MODO seems more terrible by the day. I mostly play EDH (lol) on it and I've never seen a bigger group of babies than MODO EDH players. Some of the comments I see are hilarious

"NO COUNTERSPELLS"

and I just saw "NO BLUE"

Lovely. Cockatrice, for the short while I thought playing EDH with strangers was a good idea, constantly had rooms with "No infinite combos". It was at least reasonable, but why would there be no monocolor?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Perhaps they think its too easy of a mana base? More likely they got slammed hard by a mono dominant commander and saying no Mono commanders is an easy dodge.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

I enjoy reading From the Lab but that's more like a Johnnys Paradise of "take a card and build a stupid and/or powerful combo around it."

I kinda want him to do another article like Spinning the Wheel though.

Thanks, looks like what I was looking for.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

quote:

<p>We are still in the Wild West portion of the <i>Vintage Masters</i> format, where players are still experimenting and figuring out what is getting results and what isn't. Marshall looks at a few <i>Vintage Masters</i> archetypes before returning to <i>Theros</i> block and digging into adjustments in draft strategies going on there.</p>

Thanks remains of dailymtg.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know if Uncarted realms went up?
Dailymtg leads back to the old site, but it not updated.
I can go to the new magic site, but clicking on the articles button does nothing on my iphone.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pharohman777 posted:

Anyone know if Uncarted realms went up?
Dailymtg leads back to the old site, but it not updated.
I can go to the new magic site, but clicking on the articles button does nothing on my iphone.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/beast-2014-06-18

Half the website doesn't work on my iphone and keeps randomly asking me to log into something when I try and click articles. The old site was old but at least it loving worked.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Archives only seem to work by authors right now.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/tags/uncharted-realms

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They really need to fix iphone functionality.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Tardigrade posted:

They're both pretty hedonistic though, right? I got the impression that was RB's thing.
Rakdos was mostly about sadism and murder, kind of an evil circus. The Lorwyn goblins are the kind of folks who think, "A frog! I wonder if that would fit in my mouth! :haw:"

"Auntie Grub had caught a goat, a bleating doe that still squirmed in her arms. At the same time, her warren decided to share with her a sensory greeting of hot tar. After Auntie brushed the soot from her eyes, she discovered something wonderful: the fire had turned the goat into something that smelled delicious."
—A tale of Auntie Grub

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

"NO COUNTERSPELLS"

and I just saw "NO BLUE"

"Oh good, he's playing blue."

- Nobody, ever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ehh bit late with this I guess... but what where they thinking with the new sliver look?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rinkles posted:

Ehh bit late with this I guess... but what where they thinking with the new sliver look?

My assumption is that they had a bunch of leftover concept art that wasn't quite good enough for New Phyrexia.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Rinkles posted:

Slivers are what they eat.

They ate all the humans in Dominaria.

You do the math.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Rinkles posted:

Creative decided they wanted to redesign slivers so that they had more visual design space to work with, but they took it to a hilarious extreme.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
It's not even that they were such a big departure from old slivers. I mean they were, but I could imagine sweeping redesigns that were cooler. It's that they departed from old slivers in order to land the plane on Goofy Predalien Island. (everyone clapped when the plane landed)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tom Martell just pulled a Foil Mox Jet while streaming. Could use some of that luck when I open the last pack of this draft.

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008
I started playing in middle school and continued playing from '94 through '04 before I was laid off from the brick and mortar I was working at, and decided my cards were too expensive to keep and cashed out. I recently started watching SCGLive a few months ago and Legacy seems to have captured a lot of the same feel as Vintage did back before I quit, and it's got me wanting to play again.

There's still nobody worth playing with in my local area, and with the release of VMA, I succumbed to weakness and decided to pick up an MTGO account and try to start out with a cheap Sligh in Standard and maybe draft to build a card pool into something that I can maybe break into MTGO Legacy down the road.

Is this a horrible idea?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stoomie posted:

I started playing in middle school and continued playing from '94 through '04 before I was laid off from the brick and mortar I was working at, and decided my cards were too expensive to keep and cashed out. I recently started watching SCGLive a few months ago and Legacy seems to have captured a lot of the same feel as Vintage did back before I quit, and it's got me wanting to play again.

There's still nobody worth playing with in my local area, and with the release of VMA, I succumbed to weakness and decided to pick up an MTGO account and try to start out with a cheap Sligh in Standard and maybe draft to build a card pool into something that I can maybe break into MTGO Legacy down the road.

Is this a horrible idea?

Don't expect to make a profit on drafting. It's certainly viable to play Standard Sligh to get a feel for Magic Online and decide if you'd like to spend more money on it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

No, because Godsend isn't "good" equipment. I'm talking like Swords quality.

If swords is your bar for "good" then you'll probably be waiting forever.

Godsend's a little slow due to the cost, but actually its exile ability synergizes with Flamespeaker quite well, as Trample and Double Strike ensure you'll be doing 8 to the opponent AND exiling 2 cards no matter what blocks you.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

If swords is your bar for "good" then you'll probably be waiting forever.

Godsend's a little slow due to the cost, but actually its exile ability synergizes with Flamespeaker quite well, as Trample and Double Strike ensure you'll be doing 8 to the opponent AND exiling 2 cards no matter what blocks you.

It doesn't have to be that good, but it needs to not cost 6 to put it on a guy.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The WW cost in casting is also a bit of a hindrance since the dude you want to put it on has RR in his.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

It doesn't have to be that good, but it needs to not cost 6 to put it on a guy.

Fingers crossed at a Stoneforge Mystic reprint in M15!

With the current crop of equipment available in Standard, I actually think it'd be fine.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Semi-surprised at how well my G/W version of Madness in VMA draft went. Deck plays like an aggro deck and I got a Bazaar of Baghdad, which is broken as gently caress in draft since even without Madness cards, its still letting you dig down to lands or cards you need.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Semi-surprised at how well my G/W version of Madness in VMA draft went. Deck plays like an aggro deck and I got a Bazaar of Baghdad, which is broken as gently caress in draft since even without Madness cards, its still letting you dig down to lands or cards you need.

Bazaar of Baghdad is hilarious. I got passed it after picking Spirit Cairn. Just three 1/1 spirits with flying for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Pharohman777 posted:

They really need to fix iphone functionality.

And Andoid. And desktop. And Windows phone, if anyone actually has one.

• Locked thread