Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I had it done two years ago and the only incident is the suction cup style thing they put around your eye to keep everything steady didn't quite take the first time, so my left eye was a little bloodshot for a few days, but it didn't actually hurt or anything. Meatwave described it perfectly, if you managed to get over the weirdness of poking your eye with your finger to get contacts in and out, you handle the feeling of lasik. Whether you can mentally prepare yourself to stomach the idea of a RAZOR SLICING your EYE OPEN then RED HOT LASERS burning away your EYEBALL is another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

This will lead to a lot more spending.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

This will lead to a lot more spending.

I just want to know who I should buy if I just like strings. Like the Vitamin String Quartet but not covers of popular music.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

leidend posted:

If your eyesight really sucks you're looking at PRK which hurts more, takes longer to heal and is more expensive.

It's not really your eyesight, it's the condition of the eye that requires PRK. For me, it was exactly the same cost as LASIK would have been. There are people who have a lot of discomfort though I had a couple days of feeling like I had bad allergies and was mostly ok.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

For a one week solo camping trip coming up soon:

My old sleeping pad was weight over comfort, but I've had enough of sleeping badly. This time it's full on comfort, weight be damned:

While I have a fuel stove that I love, I'd rather carry a twig stove than a week's worth of fuel, so my new bushbuddy is in the mail!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Carbon diffuser and carbon splitter. Same as these 2 pieces.

:mrgw::mrgw::mrgw::mrgw::mrgw::mrgw::mrgw:

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Not so much purchased as inherited. My girlfriends dad passed away and their family bestowed this awesome old school SLR upon me.

I only have that one lens for it so far until they find the rest of the stuff that goes with it. I've been loving diving back into film photography. NOTHING is automatic on that beast. I've been learning a ton about proper photography just learning how to use it.

I also inherited a meat slicer, a grinder and a couple of nice food dehydrators. I've been gorging on delicious jerky for weeks.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
So exciting:

Electric eraser

Refills x2

Eraser shield

Pencil-form eraser with little brush for caressing your nose(for nose reasons)

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
My liquor stock was getting dangerously low. I only had a half-full bottle of Bombay Sapphire, and I didn't feel like drinking Christmas tree water tonight, so I grabbed this on the way home:

Please don't shame me - I drink it mixed with a little Diet Coke to cut the edge.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Bulleit is good stuff. Just finished a bottle off last night in fact :-)

I just restocked my liquor shelf with

Lagavulin 16
Oban 14
Glenfiddich 18
Ardbeg Corryvreckin

The Ardbeg is pretty amazing stuff, glad I gave it a try.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

Carbon diffuser and carbon splitter. Same as these 2 pieces.

:mrgw::mrgw::mrgw::mrgw::mrgw::mrgw::mrgw:

:love: :love:

I should know this already, but what year is that? I think I need one.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

PleasusChrist posted:

:love: :love:

I should know this already, but what year is that? I think I need one.

You can get E46s from 2001-2006 I believe.
Mine is a 2004 :)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Vrikkian posted:

My liquor stock was getting dangerously low. I only had a half-full bottle of Bombay Sapphire, and I didn't feel like drinking Christmas tree water tonight, so I grabbed this on the way home:

Please don't shame me - I drink it mixed with a little Diet Coke to cut the edge.

Bulleit is great, has a nice rye flavor to it. Lose the diet coke and you'll be happier!

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

I lost one of them in town today and I was pretty pissed, so the second I got home I ran to my computer and ordered a 10 pack of these.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
You know, whenever people post mysterious things in this thread not saying what they are, I always just assume it's something they put up their asses for pleasure.

Grump posted:

I lost one of them in town today and I was pretty pissed, so the second I got home I ran to my computer and ordered a 10 pack of these.

Wow, a 10 pack, huh? That's cool.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
That's funny because whenever I post in PYF, I hope that I won't run into any shithead posters.

They're earbud covers.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector 34 posted:

Lagavulin 16
Oban 14
Glenfiddich 18
Ardbeg Corryvreckin

You should add some glenmorangie 18 to that, gotta be the smoothest 18 I've tasted, and not terribly expensive.

I tried some lag 16 recently and it was good but too smokey for my tastes.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Inspector 34 posted:

Lagavulin 16
Oban 14
Glenfiddich 18
Ardbeg Corryvreckin

Joining the scotch chat - are you a fan of Laphroaig? I've never had a chance to try the Ardbeg Corryvreckin but the 10a has been a staple of mine for ages, with the quarter cask or 10a of Lapgroaig a second.

This is in Canada, mind you - a 10a of Ardbeg is $100 here and that's pretty much my upper limit for booze.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Grump posted:

That's funny because whenever I post in PYF, I hope that I won't run into any shithead posters.

They're earbud covers.

:ssh: the thread guidelines say to post what your purchase was. :ssh:

Scarf posted:

- Please give a description of what you've bought, and if it's something relatively obscure or hard to find, a link to where it can be purchased.

Meanwhile I've bought myself a new set of lower molars for the left side of my mouth. After 3 years of waiting to get the rest of my cavities filled I'm almost done. I got the right side filled 3 years ago when I was almost done with college. But then I had to cancel an appointment, never rescheduled, and didn't have the cash to finish the rest of my cavities. I basically had to get all of my molars drilled and filled. Only 1/4 left to go!

Crain has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Jun 19, 2014

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Had a bunch of Birchbox points:

Caldrea perfume (I love this brand, all their poo poo smells so simple and pleasant). My favorite scent of theirs is the aloe water apricot but I already have a lotion in that scent.

ybf universal brow pencil

Sumita brow powder

Sumita brow wax

My eyebrows look so goddamn good now.

Also a VHS:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

colas posted:

I just want to know who I should buy if I just like strings. Like the Vitamin String Quartet but not covers of popular music.

Are you looking for modern music, but not covers, or more classical style works?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Are you looking for modern music, but not covers, or more classical style works?

No just classical that's mostly strings. I don't really care for flute, harpsichord, and whatever other instruments.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

colas posted:

No just classical that's mostly strings. I don't really care for flute, harpsichord, and whatever other instruments.

You probably will be happy looking for "string quartets", which is going to be two violins, a viola, and cello, and are very common. Composers have been writing for string quartets for basically ever, so there's a lot of it. Personally I'd recommend checking out some by Mendelssohn. The American Quartet by Dvorak is also one of my favorites.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

colas posted:

The book has a decent section for chamber music. I mainly listen to full orchestral works, but I'll pass on the recommendations once it arrives.

Back to purchases:

So good.

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.

Because I want to listen to my own music at the gym instead of whatever the hell they blast there.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Useless posted:

Joining the scotch chat - are you a fan of Laphroaig? I've never had a chance to try the Ardbeg Corryvreckin but the 10a has been a staple of mine for ages, with the quarter cask or 10a of Lapgroaig a second.

This is in Canada, mind you - a 10a of Ardbeg is $100 here and that's pretty much my upper limit for booze.

Love the Laphroaig 10, the QC was alright as well but not sure I like it enough for the price tag. This latest haul was for a special occasion so I splurged a bit, though buying them all in California was sooooo much better than in Oregon. Each of those bottles were between $40-$65, whereas in Oregon they'd all be at least $85+

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Too easy even in Aussie dollars. From https://www.gog.com

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Zojirushi NS-LAC05 Micom Rice Cooker

I'm going to cook so much sushi rice. So much.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

Vrikkian posted:

If you desperately need to cut your spirits, use a splash of water. It really helps without impacting the flavor!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I've got a similar model; you're gonna love it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

You know I bought a Zojirushi a while back and I love it but until this post I never really thought about making sushi rice. I just use it to cook white rice, blends and oatmeal. I even have a sushi mat/kit thing someone gave me one year. I guess I know what my new hobby will be. Now to find some good how to make good sushi rice tutorials.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Closing at 3pm today. :3: It's in pristine condition.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Magnetic car mount. gently caress having to get a new mount with every new phone I buy. With this you just put a little steel disc inside your phone case and *BAM* it sticks to the mount. Super strong hold, too.

Cable clips for cable management around my car, desk, and nightstand. Great for holding a phone charger, but the Apple Lightning connectors are small enough to slip right out, so I had to bundle a rubber band around the end of one.

A Dremel with various heads. Ironically I bought this to drill out a cable hole in my old phone mount so it would fit my new phone, but in the same purchase I bought the new phone mount. So now I don't need it immediately, but I know I will in the future.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus the mount makes your iPhone hover so that's pretty cool.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Or just get something like http://www.theairdock.com/ and it can wirelessly charge too.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I've been meaning to buy one of these for a while now

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/06/14/how-to-make-epic-pancakes-with-your-japanese-rice-cooker/

Please try this and report back

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sunblood posted:

Magnetic car mount. gently caress having to get a new mount with every new phone I buy. With this you just put a little steel disc inside your phone case and *BAM* it sticks to the mount. Super strong hold, too.

I don't get this, how does a 'super strong' magnet not gently caress with your phone pretty horribly?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Vrikkian posted:

Cut it with ginger ale. Gives it some fizz and softens the bite, without hiding the delicious taste. Or learn how to make a proper Old Fashioned.

I didn't buy it, but my parents bought some horseshoes and never opened the box. I took them home and played two games with my wife (and won both games :clint:) We live a block from a park with horseshoe pits, so hopefully we will pay a lot this summer.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

mad.radhu posted:

I don't get this, how does a 'super strong' magnet not gently caress with your phone pretty horribly?

What's it going to do, erase the tape? I can't think of anything in a phone that would be affected by a small static magnet.

Edit: sorry, that was kind of snarky. An electromagnet might gently caress things up by inducing currents where/when they don't belong, but a bar magnet won't do that. Even if there were magnetic storage like a hard drive involved, a static magnet would have to be really strong to match the write head that's practically in contact with the medium.

Toast Museum has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

colas posted:

How much was it?

Sorry about the late reply. Mine cost about $3500 USD in total, back in 2010. Custom wavefront PRK, not LASIK (the US military won't accept LASIK for aviators, as a rule).

Numbing drops go in, they put on the aforementioned suction-cup-cornea-isolator, then chemical drops to soften the eye's epithelial layer over the cornea, and then they basically dremel-tool off the softened layer entirely, exposing the cornea. Laser locks on, zaps your cornea (smells interesting!), and then a contact lens "bandage" is applied. Repeat for eye #2. The actual surgical procedure is painless.

Downside of PRK compared to LASIK is a 5-week heal time (my healing was only painful/uncomfortable for about the first 48 hours), upside is generally better night vision and fewer incidents of (already rare) post-surgical complications.

As far as buying things, I'm hemorrhaging money in the Steam Summer Sale!

overdesigned has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Jun 20, 2014