Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

EA Sports posted:

Everybody faces racism. what do you mean? :confused:

You better not be a white person relating this anecdote otherwise some black feminist on a blog says shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

I only actually hate one of those things but I'll leave it up to you to decide which.

i'm guessing the blacks, hating education and tumblr are just proxies for racial resentment most likely and you do have a post history of racism

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i'm guessing the blacks

I was going to say that for shock value but I don't really. Is that me shutting up like I'm supposed to?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

I was going to say that for shock value but I don't really. Is that me shutting up like I'm supposed to?

i dunno, you can only whine so hard about how the blacks are using tumblr to thought police you before people basically assume you have problems

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i dunno, you can only whine so hard about how the blacks are using tumblr to thought police you before people basically assume you have problems

LOL if you think all those tumblrs are run by black people.

EDIT: Only on the day when every child of African-American heritage can have their own tumblr, ten throbbing dragon dicks, and seven Final Fantasy character headmates will we ever achieve true equality.

new phone who dis fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 19, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

Except instead of continuing his argument and iterruption he made this thread here, where nobody got interrupted and yet the same poo poo arguments were thrown at him, hilariously probably by mostly white people.

Right, he stopped annoying his black friends which was good, and opened this post to be wrong somewhere else. Upon asking for opinions, he got told he was wrong, which you seem to have a problem with, for some reason.

Anyway, according to you, it should not matter what color anyone discussing this is. How can you both complain about white people being silenced while you attempt to silence white people I don't even

nateimm posted:

Dismissing my ignorant opinion shows how racist you are against whites, also white people don't get to tell me I'm wrong.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Right, he stopped annoying his black friends which was good, and opened this post to be wrong somewhere else. Upon asking for opinions, he got told he was wrong, which you seem to have a problem with, for some reason.

Anyway, according to you, it should not matter what color anyone discussing this is. How can you both complain about white people being silenced while you attempt to silence white people I don't even

Explain how he is wrong.

Also, who did I attempt to silence? Who did I tell that they don't get to have an opinion or interrupt? I made fun of them and argued against their opinions, but that's a whole lot different than saying they shouldn't be able to say it in the first place.

new phone who dis fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 19, 2014

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

natetimm posted:

You better not be a white person relating this anecdote otherwise some black feminist on a blog says shut up.

I am and I generally agree with the sentiment. Racism makes more sense as a systemic benefit to a class thats primarily based on race or culture, which is what it's like in most of the world. Hopefully that's how they're teaching children about it now rather than just racism = hating because of skin like when we were in school.

The way I experienced racism imo is that even though I grew up in a poor black neighborhood and got a felony. I literally got a job instantly in that neighborhood after I got out even though many of my friends have been jobless for months. Make matters worse I wouldn't even have a felony if cops didnt try to pin one crime commited by a dude in a car to the other people who were there in that neighborhood. its a systemic effect from stereotypes and cultural holdovers of a truly racist society.

EA Sports fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 19, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

Also, who did I attempt to silence? Who did I tell that they don't get to have an opinion or interrupt? I made fun of them and argued against their opinions, but that's a whole lot different than saying they shouldn't be able to say it in the first place.

No one in this thread has argued for criminal sanctions on ignorant white people blurting out stupid opinions, only that they should be mocked or ignored, so I guess all your whining about white people being silenced is pointless then, isn't it?

natetimm posted:

Explain how he is wrong.

Okey-dokey

VitalSigns posted:

It's a pretty big difference between saying "White people oppress blacks in America" and "black people steal TVs". First, the former is true almost always; second, requiring minorities to add #notallwhites in every sentence takes the focus off of the very real problem; and third, if generalizations about white people hurt your feelies you have one option to deal with such racist stereotypes that minorities don't have: you get to ignore it because it causes you zero actual harm and it has no material effect on your life.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Has anyone ever considered that there might be a happy medium between "WHITE PRIDE WORLDWIDE" and "I am the devil and should literally kill myself because I have light skin"

Like, I'm a white dude. Yeah, white people do a lot of bad poo poo, and yeah, I've gotten a lot of breaks that I wouldn't have gotten if I weren't white. However, on a personal level, I try my absolute hardest to not be an oppressive piece of poo poo. On a systemic level, there's not a whole lot I can do, but I still call people out when they say bad poo poo and vote in favor of policies that don't gently caress minorities over. I wish there was more I could do to fix the problem, but short of literal magic, I'm pretty sure there isn't, so I don't personally lose any sleep over it because I'm doing the best I can. Why do none of the people who are pissed off about "white guilt" ever see this as a valid option?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Why do none of the people who are pissed off about "white guilt" ever see this as a valid option?

they're not actually pissed off about white guilt, they use white guilt as a weapon to complain about whatever bothers them up to and including not being able to say the n-word even if those people do it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Why do none of the people who are pissed off about "white guilt" ever see this as a valid option?

Because the people who see this as a valid option are by definition not those who are pissed off about white guilt.

VVVVVV
I love that even after the second time you asked for an effortpost from me and dared me to ignore the unassailable logic of WhiskeyJuvenile, International Defender of the White Man, you revert back to shitposts rather than engaging in the debate you were ostensibly oh-so-ready to have.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 19, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
White people did 9/11

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I dunno, I feel like there are probably true believers who aren't using "white guilt" as a dogwhistle and are just thoroughly misunderstanding anti-racist activism because of a lack of information (because shockingly enough if you aren't actively involved in this stuff, you never ever hear about it other than the lunatic fringe).

enbot
Jun 7, 2013
:newlol: if you actually believe "White people oppress blacks in America" is almost always true.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Has anyone ever considered that there might be a happy medium between "WHITE PRIDE WORLDWIDE" and "I am the devil and should literally kill myself because I have light skin"

Like, I'm a white dude. Yeah, white people do a lot of bad poo poo, and yeah, I've gotten a lot of breaks that I wouldn't have gotten if I weren't white. However, on a personal level, I try my absolute hardest to not be an oppressive piece of poo poo. On a systemic level, there's not a whole lot I can do, but I still call people out when they say bad poo poo and vote in favor of policies that don't gently caress minorities over. I wish there was more I could do to fix the problem, but short of literal magic, I'm pretty sure there isn't, so I don't personally lose any sleep over it because I'm doing the best I can. Why do none of the people who are pissed off about "white guilt" ever see this as a valid option?

Yes, basically this is what most people do; it's just that social justice warriors are completely and utterly retarded. Outside of the internet they are non-existent.

Like seriously, in the academic world something like this:

VitalSigns posted:

It's a pretty big difference between saying "White people oppress blacks in America" and "black people steal TVs". First, the former is true almost always; second, requiring minorities to add #notallwhites in every sentence takes the focus off of the very real problem; and third, if generalizations about white people hurt your feelies you have one option to deal with such racist stereotypes that minorities don't have: you get to ignore it because it causes you zero actual harm and it has no material effect on your life.

would be completely mocked and laughed out the classroom. It's really sad some people here honestly believe it's perfectly acceptable to say racist trash like that.

enbot
Jun 7, 2013
Like shocker, maybe both statements : "White people oppress blacks in America" and "black people steal TVs" are awful things to say and any attempt to justify either statements should be repulsive to any thinking person.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Whoa whoa, you say racism in America hurts black people? Sounds like you're the real racist, why do you hate white people?

Now let's stop all that talk about black people's problems because it hurts my precious white feelings, and really, isn't that the true injustice in this country?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

enbot posted:

Like seriously, in the academic world something like this:

would be completely mocked and laughed out the classroom. It's really sad some people here honestly believe it's perfectly acceptable to say racist trash like that.

There's always critical race theory departments where you can make trashy post-hoc rationalizations of racist behavior if it uses sufficiently opaque language and fights against the existing power structure in some way (because gently caress YOU DAD!).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

enbot posted:

Like shocker, maybe both statements : "White people oppress blacks in America" and "black people steal TVs" are awful things to say and any attempt to justify either statements should be repulsive to any thinking person.

I mean, one is a lot more wrong than the other. Even if you don't actively hate black people, American culture is dominated by white people and the result is that there's a lot of stereotyping and other microaggressions that are deeply ingrained in (even well-meaning) white people unless they're aware of and actively avoiding them. Meanwhile, black people don't have it drilled into their heads that they should steal TVs from the white devils by American culture.

If you're arguing that not every white person oppresses black people, you're being a pedantic rear end, whereas if you're arguing that not all black people steal TVs you're just not massively out of touch with reality.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

enbot posted:

The latter statement reinforces racist stereotypes through hyperbole. The former statement raises awareness about the extent of racism in america with hyperbole. I think racist stereotypes are repulsive, but raising awareness of racism in America is not. Do you think raising awareness of racism in America is repulsive? Or do you think that making statements that are not perfectly accurate is more repulsive than racism itself? Thinking people want to know.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

The latter statement reinforces racist stereotypes through hyperbole. The former statement raises awareness about the extent of racism in america with hyperbole. I think racist stereotypes are repulsive, but raising awareness of racism in America is not. Do you think raising awareness of racism in America is repulsive? Or do you think that making statements that are not perfectly accurate is more repulsive than racism itself? Thinking people want to know.

I sort of understand where posters like natetimm or enbot are coming from, but I can only understand it in terms of the way I thought about things like race as a child. I thought that some people were bad racists and others weren't in a very black/white sense and would have been deeply offended if someone implied that I was a racist. My feelings about black people more or less reflected my father's, and could probably be summed up as "there are black people and then there are niggers LOL"; the modern sort of racism where people don't think all, or even most, black people are bad, but sure as hell are willing to stereotype them*. I think that the majority of people are actually like this; I don't think I've ever met someone who feels the need to emphasize that they aren't a racist who didn't, in fact, have a bunch of pretty racist views. But I honestly can't understand where they're coming from as an adult who should have the capacity for things like empathy.

Yes, this post is condescending. But it's also 100% true and sometimes if you act dumb you'll be treated as such. I don't think there's any way to convince people who aren't capable of the empathy/imagination necessary to understand why their actions/beliefs are wrong/harmful.

*A good way of describing it is that people like this will make statements like "I saw a black person who did ____" or "black people are often like ____" in a context where you'd never hear the same thing with "white people" substituted.

edit: Just as a side thing, it amuses me how there's this generalization that the "SJW" people in this thread are gender studies majors working retail jobs or something (not that there's anything really wrong with this). I'm a computer programmer with a business (information systems) degree, and I imagine other similar posters in this thread don't fit the stereotype either.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Ytlaya posted:

I sort of understand where posters like natetimm or enbot are coming from, but I can only understand it in terms of the way I thought about things like race as a child. I thought that some people were bad racists and others weren't in a very black/white sense and would have been deeply offended if someone implied that I was a racist. My feelings about black people more or less reflected my father's, and could probably be summed up as "there are black people and then there are niggers LOL"; the modern sort of racism where people don't think all, or even most, black people are bad, but sure as hell are willing to stereotype them*. I think that the majority of people are actually like this; I don't think I've ever met someone who feels the need to emphasize that they aren't a racist who didn't, in fact, have a bunch of pretty racist views. But I honestly can't understand where they're coming from as an adult who should have the capacity for things like empathy.

Yes, this post is condescending. But it's also 100% true and sometimes if you act dumb you'll be treated as such. I don't think there's any way to convince people who aren't capable of the empathy/imagination necessary to understand why their actions/beliefs are wrong/harmful.

*A good way of describing it is that people like this will make statements like "I saw a black person who did ____" or "black people are often like ____" in a context where you'd never hear the same thing with "white people" substituted.

edit: Just as a side thing, it amuses me how there's this generalization that the "SJW" people in this thread are gender studies majors working retail jobs or something (not that there's anything really wrong with this). I'm a computer programmer with a business (information systems) degree, and I imagine other similar posters in this thread don't fit the stereotype either.

I have no preconceptions of people based on thier race. I don't think there are two different kinds of black people, and I don't stereotype them. I know the mentality you're talking about though, you just have me pegged incorrectly. rear end in a top hat spans all races and creeds and if it came right down to it, I've known way more white assholes per captia than any other race.

What it takes to break down the mentality you're talking about is exposure and immersion. That goes double for the tumblr activist mentality as well. The thing both racists of the creed you speak of and the nutbag fringe of tumblr have in common is that the majority of them probably don't interact with the people they have the flaring opinions on in a regular or meanigful way. That's why their opinions are so stupid. One side sees a pathetic group in need of their valiant white knight effort, and the other sees a potential danger they fear. Both those mentalities are rooted in ignorance, and for what it's worth many of the black people I know personally find both mindsets equally offensive. Some actually prefer the open racism to the well-meaning but still ultimately demeaning SJW fringe.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

I love that even after the second time you asked for an effortpost from me and dared me to ignore the unassailable logic of WhiskeyJuvenile, International Defender of the White Man, you revert back to shitposts rather than engaging in the debate you were ostensibly oh-so-ready to have.

Drunkenness is probably a better explanation to be honest.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

Wah I'm being marginalized either shut up and assent to my stupid opinions or open your mouth and be branded a racist!
"You're Overly Sensitive"

natetimm posted:

Right, and you keep pushing forward your vile, lovely version of Tumblr social justice to make it as unpalatable as possible and undo decades of advancement by others.
"You Are Damaging Your Cause By Being So Aggressive"

natetimm posted:

I mean I can kind of understand because you guys were sold dogma and opinions masquerading as intellectualism and facts for the price of lifetime debt and you're trying to justify it somehow but drat...
"You Are Arguing With Opinions Not Fact"

natetimm posted:

However, when you and your assbag SJW friends intentionally hunt down threads where a white person is asking for information and opinions that don't interrupt or marginalize anyone and still fill it up with your petty bullshit answers,
"If You Won't Educate Me, How Can I Learn" plus
"If You Really Cared About This You'd Teach Me"

natetimm posted:

and for what it's worth many of the black people I know personally find both mindsets equally offensive. Some actually prefer the open racism to the well-meaning but still ultimately demeaning SJW fringe.
"You're As Bad As The Racists" plus
"I Know Another Person From Your Group That Disagrees"

Come onnnnnnnn baby. Come on come on, give me "I was on your side but your anger changed all that." Moneymoneymoney!

Oh poo poo wait, does this count?

natetimm posted:

It's OK though, because most reasonable people are getting wise to this version of petty bullying bullshit and rightly calling you out for the garbage it is.
Watch out black people, reasonable people are getting wise to this petty bullying act of refusing to grant every drooling ignorant opinion automatic legitimacy!

BINGO!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 19, 2014

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

enbot posted:

Jesus Christ I wish I was white. I wish that this was the level of racism that was directed at me.

Like, being accused of being an oppressor is a way more managable stereotype than being a rapist/thief/illiterate/monkey/whatever.

White people have it so good.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zelder posted:

Jesus Christ I wish I was white. I wish that this was the level of racism that was directed at me.

Like, being accused of being an oppressor is a way more managable stereotype than being a rapist/thief/illiterate/monkey/whatever.

White people have it so good.

I just showed my black friend your post and he confirmed that your repulsive anti-white racism is more offensive to him than the KKK

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
This thread is nonsense. I don't think this thread frames a good question. It's rhetorical. There's not a single person who says racism doesn't exist.

How about this one: What would the african american community do if they tried?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

"You're Overly Sensitive"

"You Are Damaging Your Cause By Being So Aggressive"

"You Are Arguing With Opinions Not Fact"

"If You Won't Educate Me, How Can I Learn" plus
"If You Really Cared About This You'd Teach Me"

"You're As Bad As The Racists" plus
"I Know Another Person From Your Group That Disagrees"

Come onnnnnnnn baby. Come on come on, give me "I was on your side but your anger changed all that." Moneymoneymoney!

Oh poo poo wait, does this count?

Watch out black people, reasonable people are getting wise to this petty bullying act of refusing to grant every drooling ignorant opinion automatic legitimacy!

BINGO!

It's good that you can demonstrate an ability to distill down anything anyone says to the arguments that have been previously fed to you. Congrats, Tumblr is your Fox News.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Whatever other criticisms of tumblr you can make (there are no meaningful ones dumbass, tumblr is a platform) at least they don't have a single, wizened hand up its rear end working it like a felt puppet.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Job Truniht posted:

This thread is nonsense. I don't think this thread frames a good question. It's rhetorical. There's not a single person who says racism doesn't exist.

How about this one: What would the african american community do if they tried?

Nah this thread could benefit from some additional perspectives. Let's get natetimm's black friend in here. I think it would benefit us all to talk to the black man who gets more offended at criticism of white people on the internet than at being called a thieving friend of the family in real life.

natetimm posted:

It's good that you can demonstrate an ability to distill down anything anyone says to the arguments that have been previously fed to you. Congrats, Tumblr is your Fox News.

Your posts suck. Bring your black friend on, the one who hates SJW types more than strident racists. I want to hear from the guy who would rather see tumblr eradicated than racism.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 19, 2014

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Nah this thread could benefit from some additional perspectives. Let's get natetimm's black friend in here. I think it would benefit us all to talk to the black man who gets more offended at criticism of white people on the internet than at being called a thieving friend of the family in real life.

Your posts suck. Bring your black friend on, the one who hates SJW types more than strident racists. I want to hear from the guy who would rather see tumblr eradicated than racism.

You just couldn't imagine a person like that exists who wouldn't think you guys are doing him a real huge favor, huh?

EDIT: Oh hey, you want to see what happens when a black guy has opinions that don't jive with the typical leftist hive-mind idiocy? Look no further then SedanChair's avatar. One of your like-minded progressives gave him that for bucking your party line.

EDIT: sig =/= avatar

new phone who dis fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 19, 2014

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Back in the day racists at least had class and were polite about it.

Now all we have are these trashy, lovely SJW hipsters who are :siren: the real racists :siren: for not agreeing to what some black guy said.

:downsbravo:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

You just couldn't imagine a person like that exists who wouldn't think you guys are doing him a real huge favor, huh?

I'm not under the delusion that posting on somethingawful dot com is doing anybody any favors, why, are you? Though this does perhaps explain your puzzling commitment to such passionate defense of the poor downtrodden White Man.

But I totally believe you. That's why I want his perspective about why he's rather live next to a Grand Wizard than a tumblr blogger; I'm sure it would be eye-opening for many here.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not under the delusion that posting on somethingawful dot com is doing anybody any favors, why, are you? Though this does perhaps explain your puzzling commitment to such passionate defense of the poor downtrodden White Man.

But I totally believe you. That's why I want his perspective about why he's rather live next to a Grand Wizard than a tumblr blogger; I'm sure it would be eye-opening for many here.

Yeah how about I buy my black friends accounts so they can come in here and get called Uncle Toms and sellouts by a bunch of angry white manchildren.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

natetimm posted:

EDIT: Oh hey, you want to see what happens when a black guy has opinions that don't jive with the typical leftist hive-mind idiocy? Look no further then SedanChair's avatar. One of your like-minded progressives gave him that for bucking your party line.

EDIT: sig =/= avatar

Come come, am I not supposed to take it in stride? After all, somebody said something that hurt a white guy's feelings once.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

Yeah how about I buy my black friends accounts so they can come in here and get called Uncle Toms and sellouts by a bunch of angry white manchildren.

No you're right, just use them as a prop instead. Wear their skin, like a suit, so you can tell liberals how black people really feel.

"Turns out, my black friends talk exactly like angry white men!"

Eh maybe they do though. After all, this happened so I'll believe anything now http://youtu.be/N0_CAjhz6a0

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 19, 2014

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

SedanChair posted:

Come come, am I not supposed to take it in stride? After all, somebody said something that hurt a white guy's feelings once.

You made me laugh out loud at my work desk.

I keep looking on their bingo card for the "Buy racist as gently caress avatar for black person who disagrees with me" but I can't find it. That must mean it's not as bad as whatever inane poo poo they have compiled on there.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

natetimm posted:

"I hate victims who respect their executioners."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

Let me make sure I understand here. Systemic racism exists to the detriment of minorities and the benefit of white people: #notallwhites

One person does something racist #YesAllLeftists #DieProgressiveScum

Okey dokey. Eh whatever, consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
It's more like: Many people's ideologies revolve around trying to actively gently caress with the people they deem to be "others" and any benefit afforded to society at large is basically just a side-effect of that process.

• Locked thread