Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

Nemesis: Stupid clone wants to be evil because reasons. Wastes time despite dying

IIRC, it's "stupid clone wants to destroy Romulan Star Empire for loving him over, will achieve this by destroying Federation because." Picard even asks him why, and he basically says "because shut up."

Nutsngum posted:

Trek09: Blames spock for reasons that dont make much sense considering. Not bad, but the worst part of the film

Nero blames Spock because he was the go-between for the Federation and the Vulcan High Council, who promised to save Romulus from destruction via supernova but, in his view - and keep in mind he's completely irrational due to blind rage - hosed around and failed to live up to their word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

He is meant to be a brilliant scientist. Seems much more plausible he could find some way of making a ship that will guarantee him getting in...Its really just a piss poor villian motivation thats not thought through properly.

Isn't that the crux of things, though? The dude is a brilliant, long-lived scientist, obsessed with getting back to the Nexus. Given that, I think it's reasonable to assume he's previously considered the obvious possibilities.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

MisterBibs posted:

Isn't that the crux of things, though? The dude is a brilliant, long-lived scientist, obsessed with getting back to the Nexus. Given that, I think it's reasonable to assume he's previously considered the obvious possibilities.

True, and you have to realize no one knew that Kirk make it into the Nexus. So for all anyone knew, ship + nexus = death.

I wonder about the people who got displaced by the Nexus. After all we see Guinan and Soren appear on the ship after it got zapped by the Nexus with Kirk, meaning they got booted out somehow. I wonder if there were people on the planet who got kicked out and were like "WTF? This isn't the nexus, what's that big super nova looking thing headed this wa...."

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 18, 2014

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MisterBibs posted:

I assume that he figured out that a space suit/shuttlecraft would be destroyed before he got to the Nexus. And no space government is going to let him destroy a capital ship just so he can get back to the set of Caligula. You know what? Now that I've made that joke I choose to believe that the film Caligula was just Soran's time spent in the Nexus in honor of the Bermanga commentary saying that Picard's Nexus scene should have been a roman orgy.

Burning_Monk posted:

I wonder about the people who got displaced by the Nexus. After all we see Guinan and Soren appear on the ship after it got zapped by the Nexus with Kirk, meaning they got booted out somehow. I wonder if there were people on the planet who got kicked out and were like "WTF? This isn't the nexus, what's that big super nova looking thing headed this wa...."

Only if Scotty was there to beam them out of the Nexus too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think a plot that actually gave Kirk a storyline of his own in the film would have helped Generations even if you ended up keeping most else the same.

Kirk instigating the TNG era Nexus developments by successfully getting free on his own during Soran's experiments might have helped. It brings him into the main story sooner, and it gives him a chance to do more. He's a wild card trying to operate and is struggling to understand the new universe he's stepped into, figure out Soran's game on his own, eventually crosses paths with TNG crew who similarly don't know what to make of him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think a plot that actually gave Kirk a storyline of his own in the film would have helped Generations even if you ended up keeping most else the same.

Kirk instigating the TNG era Nexus developments by successfully getting free on his own during Soran's experiments might have helped. It brings him into the main story sooner, and it gives him a chance to do more. He's a wild card trying to operate and is struggling to understand the new universe he's stepped into, figure out Soran's game on his own, eventually crosses paths with TNG crew who similarly don't know what to make of him.

That's going to be sad though, like the episode with Scotty.

It feels a lot more true to the spirit of the character and the old show (not the movies, really) to just have him be up for some loving adventure without really knowing what's up. He just knows it's up to the old double-fisted hammerblow and low-swing kick to save the universe again.

I actually really like the way Shatner plays his death scene. He seems to get really surprised right before he kicks. It's like he never really considered the possibility that he could die on one of his stupid, insane adventures until it actually happens.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Burning_Monk posted:

Naw, they just wipe the planet. Then send some colonists over and "Hey, guys check out this planet we just discovered for you! Don't mind the craters of radiation, that should clear up in a few decades."

This isn't Warhammer 40K, jesus.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

I actually really like the way Shatner plays his death scene. He seems to get really surprised right before he kicks. It's like he never really considered the possibility that he could die on one of his stupid, insane adventures until it actually happens.

My memory on it is a bit hazy, but I think Shatner said that he thought long and hard about how Kirk would react to imminent death, and figured it would be one of awe.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This isn't Warhammer 40K, jesus.

Maybe not, or maybe it's the Trail of Tears 40k

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MisterBibs posted:

My memory on it is a bit hazy, but I think Shatner said that he thought long and hard about how Kirk would react to imminent death, and figured it would be one of awe.

He says that in Movie Memories, yes (though how much of it is him and how much is Chris Kreski is an open question).

Also keep in mind that Shatner had the opportunity to re-act his death scene -- as originally filmed, Kirk's last words are "The 24th century isn't so tough," gets shot in the back, then dies with a small gasp after Picard shoots Soran.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Nutsngum posted:

Also blowing up stars doesnt change their gravity :v:

Depends how you do it. Turn it largely into EM (ala a pair instability supernova) and the volume in which gauss's law results in a reduced pull will be huge.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Burning_Monk posted:

Maybe not, or maybe it's the Trail of Tears 40k

It's not.

"We're gonna go colonize our own planet."
"Cool, awesome, best of luck!"
"How about this one?"
"Oh, jeez, that's right next to the Cardassians. They actually think it's theirs. We think they're wrong, but until we get this settled, could you maybe pick somewhere else?"
"Nope!"
"Uh, well, okay..."
~time passes~
"Hey, remember how we said the Cardassians said that was their planet and you probably shouldn't move there? Well, after losing forty starships to the Borg we're kinda not in a great position to fight over it any more..."
"You can all gently caress off!"
"Okay! Are you sure...? Well, okay, the Cardassians said they guess we don't have to drag you off after all, but you're basically going to be under Cardassian jurisdiction so... good luck with that..."

But at the end of the day they're not as bad as the Maquis.

Timby posted:

He says that in Movie Memories, yes (though how much of it is him and how much is Chris Kreski is an open question).

Also keep in mind that Shatner had the opportunity to re-act his death scene -- as originally filmed, Kirk's last words are "The 24th century isn't so tough," gets shot in the back, then dies with a small gasp after Picard shoots Soran.

And then the test audience reaction to the ending was so overwhelmingly negative that Sherry Lansing said "here's a few million dollars for a re-shoot, get it right this time."

(maybe not those exact words, but same message)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I desperately need DS9 blurays in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR7oewdXp7w

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

It's not.

"We're gonna go colonize our own planet."
"Cool, awesome, best of luck!"
"How about this one?"
"Oh, jeez, that's right next to the Cardassians. They actually think it's theirs. We think they're wrong, but until we get this settled, could you maybe pick somewhere else?"
"Nope!"
"Uh, well, okay..."
~time passes~
"Hey, remember how we said the Cardassians said that was their planet and you probably shouldn't move there? Well, after losing forty starships to the Borg we're kinda not in a great position to fight over it any more..."
"You can all gently caress off!"
"Okay! Are you sure...? Well, okay, the Cardassians said they guess we don't have to drag you off after all, but you're basically going to be under Cardassian jurisdiction so... good luck with that..."

You are completely skipping over the part were Picard ordered his troops* to remove the people by force out of their generational homes. But you new that already since it's a major plot point of the episode.

Wesley be all, "naw dog, that poo poo ain't right! Yo, dat a space-time traveling pedophile? Sup homey!"

*"Security forces"

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I thought the whole incident was the beginning of the Maquis, though? I know it is easy to forget that Chakotay was a Maquis in the first episode of Voyager.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The best part is that the episode is already a retread of that one where data blows up a aqueduct...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Burning_Monk posted:

You are completely skipping over the part were Picard ordered his troops* to remove the people by force out of their generational homes. But you new that already since it's a major plot point of the episode.

Wesley be all, "naw dog, that poo poo ain't right! Yo, dat a space-time traveling pedophile? Sup homey!"

*"Security forces"

If I remember right the Federation thought they were obligated to remove their people, and a last-minute renegotiation with the Cardassians was what allowed them to stay, but with the understanding* that they were to be in Cardassian jurisdiction.

*there was no understanding, everyone in the ~demilitarized zone~ thought they could just have their cake and eat it too, including the Cardassian colonists

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
As Federation citizens they had to be removed from their 'generational' homes that they had had for a whole 20 years due to the new treaty. By the end of the episode they were told they could stay if they gave up Federation citizenship, which they did. So no, nothing of importance is really missing from Farmer Crack-rear end's description.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"We need to be a highlight reel together for that TNG/DS9 crossover. What should we put in it?"
"MORN, RIGHT AWAY, LIKE...RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I always wondered what happened to the Native American colonists on that planet once Cardassia joined the Dominion.

Probably nothing good.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They got a Vorta to oversee and a platoon of Jem'Hadar to keep order, and the Cardassian ore refinery was shut down.

Best thing to happen to them in years.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Seriously? Was that from one of the books?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've posted this before and I thought about it today while watching DS9:

Find yourself an audiobook about the British fighting the Japanese in Burma and let your imagination picture the most bitching war in Earth history that never happened every time you hear them mention a Jemadar.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Apollodorus posted:

Seriously? Was that from one of the books?

I hope so :allears:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So I was at the comic shop and came across this little gem:

http://issuu.com/idwpublishing/docs/st_cef_01-pr?e=1013407/8277235

It's a comic based on Harlan Ellison's original teleplay for City On The Edge Of Forever. Lot of things are different and I can see why NBC would have never let this even be filmed let alone shown with the late 60's sensibilities of the viewing public. For one thing, McCoy isn't the one who goes back in time, it's some guy who looks like Curly's mean brother. The Guardians of Forever are a line of old talking statues, and it's implied that the stresses of being in the middle of the five-year mission have caused some of the crew to become a little more decadent despite having perfect psych profiles. Roddenberry would have nipped it in the bud right off.. "There are no drug addicts in the future!"

I never read the original teleplay but it's a blast for me to see it adapted into comics form, and with the full blessing of none other than Harlan himself. He seems to have whipped the Tipton brothers (the artists) into producing better art than what showed up in the ST:TNG/Doctor Who comic. I can just imagine his legendary anger being unleashed on them in a phone call.. "KIRK LOOKS LIKE HE WAS PAINTED WITH A GODDAMN CRAYOLA SET YOU FUCKWITS! DO BETTER OR ILL COME OVER THERE AND SMASH YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH YOUR GODDAMN WAKE-COMMIE TABLET!!"

Edit: one of the alternate covers:

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 19, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Sash! posted:

Find yourself an audiobook about the British fighting the Japanese in Burma and let your imagination picture the most bitching war in Earth history that never happened every time you hear them mention a Jemadar.

:aaa:

The Dominion wasn't actually a mirror of the Federation, it was an analogue to The British Empire!!!

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Which would mean the white was tea.

e: or opium

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

:aaa:

The Dominion wasn't actually a mirror of the Federation, it was an analogue to The British Empire!!!

What, the Founders being ugly pasty blobs didn't tip you off?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Fister Roboto posted:

:iceburn:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

I always wondered what happened to the Native American colonists on that planet once Cardassia joined the Dominion.

Probably nothing good.

Well the Dominion built a dilithium pipeline across their land, and when the colonists sabotaged it they were executed by the Jem'Hadar. Dominion media lamented the massacre but implied it was necessary before turning to Sports.

I'm totally not talking about the future of Canada.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fister Roboto posted:

Oi! You fukken wot m8? I'll slash yer gabber u cheeky little nob! :britain:

PS:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sash! posted:

I can't find the Let's Read of this, but doing a copy & paste job on this would be awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Jungle-Neutral-Soldiers-Two-Year/dp/1592281079

F. Spencer Chapman was one of the most :black101: dudes in WW2, based solely on survival skills, not fighting ability.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Mister Adequate posted:

Oi! You fukken wot m8? I'll slash yer gabber u cheeky little nob! :britain:

PS:

In USPol news:
https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/479306791264583681

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I'm totally not talking about the future of Canada.

One of these days, I will totally photoshop Harper as a Vorta.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SouthLAnd posted:

I desperately need DS9 blurays in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR7oewdXp7w

Wow, look at those yellow stripes.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Binary Badger posted:

So I was at the comic shop and came across this little gem:

http://issuu.com/idwpublishing/docs/st_cef_01-pr?e=1013407/8277235

It's a comic based on Harlan Ellison's original teleplay for City On The Edge Of Forever. Lot of things are different and I can see why NBC would have never let this even be filmed let alone shown with the late 60's sensibilities of the viewing public. For one thing, McCoy isn't the one who goes back in time, it's some guy who looks like Curly's mean brother. The Guardians of Forever are a line of old talking statues, and it's implied that the stresses of being in the middle of the five-year mission have caused some of the crew to become a little more decadent despite having perfect psych profiles. Roddenberry would have nipped it in the bud right off.. "There are no drug addicts in the future!"

I never read the original teleplay but it's a blast for me to see it adapted into comics form, and with the full blessing of none other than Harlan himself. He seems to have whipped the Tipton brothers (the artists) into producing better art than what showed up in the ST:TNG/Doctor Who comic. I can just imagine his legendary anger being unleashed on them in a phone call.. "KIRK LOOKS LIKE HE WAS PAINTED WITH A GODDAMN CRAYOLA SET YOU FUCKWITS! DO BETTER OR ILL COME OVER THERE AND SMASH YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH YOUR GODDAMN WAKE-COMMIE TABLET!!"

Edit: one of the alternate covers:

I heard about this a while ago and somehow missed that this was the original teleplay and not just a comic of the episode itself. I really want to freaking read this now.

Also, looking at those first few pages: I love how drugs always come in gem form in the future.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

Wow, look at those yellow stripes.

Dem pylons. :heysexy:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple Jax posted:

I heard about this a while ago and somehow missed that this was the original teleplay and not just a comic of the episode itself. I really want to freaking read this now.

Also, looking at those first few pages: I love how drugs always come in gem form in the future.

It's five issues and the first issue sets the pace nicely. Still wondering what Mean Curly, uh, I mean Beckwith will do in the past to gently caress things up, seeing as Spock deprived him of his phaser.

Maybe Ellison saw Mudd's Women and tried to riff on that. "Gee, if Gene lets people take sparkly rocks to become beautiful, he won't mind if I send somebody on a little acid trip.."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Did they base that comic off the actual original teleplay, or the one that Ellison polished up for submission for the award?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Apple Jax posted:

The future is now!

it's crack

• Locked thread