Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Toekutr: That is seriously cool. What Forth, if any, are you using as a point of reference for your implementation? Do you envision it being possible to write simple genesis games with this forth? Do you have a project page anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toekutr
Dec 9, 2008

Internet Janitor posted:

Toekutr: That is seriously cool. What Forth, if any, are you using as a point of reference for your implementation? Do you envision it being possible to write simple genesis games with this forth? Do you have a project page anywhere?

I got the headstart I needed from jonesforth, though I know it isn't very popular with a lot of forth programmers. It's started to take a shape of it's own though, and I'm definitely not adverse to pilfering ideas from other forths.

I am planning on using it to write games, and there's a github page for it.
The code isn't amazing (it's 68k asm plus C for things I didn't feel like writing in asm), but feel free to take a look.

https://github.com/ehaliewicz/megaforth

Toekutr fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 10, 2014

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

a slime posted:

Had a pretty productive weekend- ported some code from the CS:GO game server that I reverse engineered to the browser with Emscripten. So now I can simulate the game's exact gun mechanics for the sake of practice or learning or something. Wish I could take a couple weeks off work to really flesh this out.

this is super slick, anywhere i can play with it?

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
Been testing just how difficult it is for players with lots of money to get record-breaking movies (at the moment, not very).

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Sharktopus posted:

this is super slick, anywhere i can play with it?

Thanks a lot! There's an early version online at: http://twowordbird.com/csgo/spraylab.html

Please don't post the link around, I'm not ready to go big with it just yet :)

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010
I wanted to make a site similar to USAToday's Kanye Self Confidence Generator but change it by using pictures of Ryan Gosling and pulling recent and popular tweets tagged with #YOLO. It's been a fun small project with some nice results sometimes.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Put some light shadowing on that type so you can read white on white.

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010

pipes! posted:

Put some light shadowing on that type so you can read white on white.

good idea! thanks

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.
That's fantastic. I would love to see that blown up fullscreen using something like jQuery Vegas, residing at http://ryangosli.ng/yolo

And... Go.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Posted some screenshots a while ago, and finally released my new MIDI / OSC controller app TC-Data. Here's a panorama of the entire app:

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
About 2ish years ago I wrote an NES emulator in Go. Some months back a colleague of mine wanted to port it to Android, which we accomplished in about a day, and I've been slacking on getting that port opensourced. Finally did that today: https://github.com/scottferg/Fergulator-Android

Nearly all of the emulator code is shared between the PC and Android versions. The only bits that are unique to each platform are anything related to I/O (as you'd expect). Android has OpenGL ES for video, currently no audio, and touchscreen/bluetooth controls whereas the PC version uses SDL and OpenGL.

Edit: tabbbbllees

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Everybody was talking about Twitter rate limits a page ago, so I decided to explore the limits of that with a super simple script running on the same server as Porktrack. The entirety of the script is this:

code:
from TwitterAPI import TwitterAPI
import time

limit = 36
number = 1

api = TwitterAPI('CREDENTIALS', 'GO', 'RIGHT', 'HERE')

while True:
    time.sleep(limit)
    api.request('statuses/update', {'status':number})
    number += 1
This should allow the account to tweet 2400 times per day, counting upward until forever and ever. It will never reach the character limit, and it will only hit the bounds of a 32-bit number in 4,900 years. At this rate, I will surpass Something Awful's Jon Hendren in amount of tweets on the 4th of July or so.

I looked into how long it would take me to get the most tweets of any user, and discovered this user who has 37.4 million tweets. They joined in August of '09, so they've tweeted roughly 14 times a minute. The only way I can guess that they're doing this is maybe running several scripts simultaneously?

edit: I think the most I'll do this is maybe add the ability for it to automatically determine what number to start on based on what the most recent tweet is (in case the script ever stops running.) Maybe I'll change it so the numbers have commas too, who knows.

Literally Elvis fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 16, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nice!

I ended up putting together a script as well. I ended up using nodejs and the twit module. Opens a stream and monitors for a specific hashtag. Once found, it pulls a random string from an array and tweets it back at the user.

Pretty amusing and didn't take long at all. Currently running on a Ubuntu VM on my home server.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

make it say "{number} ah ah ah!" (I'm jealous I didn't think of this).

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Dirty Frank posted:

Yeah the ah ah ah is vital.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Dirty Frank posted:

JossiRossi posted:

Yeah the ah ah ah is vital.

done deal

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Excellent!

I have nothing to add except that the Count's full name is "Count von Count", so you should work that in somewhere too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I realise it would probably hit the character limit earlier, but I think it would look neater if he said "Two thousand, six hundred and seventy nine, ah ah ah!"

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

~Coxy posted:

I realise it would probably hit the character limit earlier, but I think it would look neater if he said "Two thousand, six hundred and seventy nine, ah ah ah!"

I am working on this, and will restart the twitter account when it does work.

EDIT: It lives (without commas):

The current script will only process up to one million. That gives me about a year and change to get the larger numbers working. The code is probably terrible, but at this point it works and all of this is for shits and gigs, so I'm going to sleep. I'm sure once I've had some rest and get a chance to look at this with fresh eyes, a loud "what the gently caress" will erupt from my mouth, haha.

Thanks for the encouragement of my petty little projects, guys. It means a lot.

Literally Elvis fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 17, 2014

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Literally Elvis posted:

Make it say a number only when the number of followers exceeds the previous max.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Literally Elvis posted:

EDIT: It lives (without commas):

The current script will only process up to one million. That gives me about a year and change to get the larger numbers working. The code is probably terrible, but at this point it works and all of this is for shits and gigs, so I'm going to sleep. I'm sure once I've had some rest and get a chance to look at this with fresh eyes, a loud "what the gently caress" will erupt from my mouth, haha.

Thanks for the encouragement of my petty little projects, guys. It means a lot.

Use a module!

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

hahahahaha christ :suicide:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You have a space after hundreds. (nine hundred , ah ah ah!)

I want to follow this so bad but that's so much tweet spam. Slow it to every half hour or something IMO.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Manslaughter posted:

I want to follow this so bad but that's so much tweet spam. Slow it to every half hour or something IMO.

Only count prime seconds!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Manslaughter posted:

I think the whole point was to tweet as many tweets as possible.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I'm slowly working my way through BeagleSNES bug fixes and new features in anticipation of a new release fairly soon. I now have a background thread running to load all of the resources for the front-end GUI while a splash screen is shown to the user. Once the resources complete their loading, the splash screen clears:

(Complete with :megaman: teleport sound effect :3:)

Among other things, I now have a nice Neon asm 2x scaler, more aggressive optimization flags in the build, some preliminary GPIO button support, and a RAM snapshot feature to allow you to save your game whenever and then pop into it again later.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

The Count is now back to 14 lines:

code:
from TwitterAPI import TwitterAPI
from num2words import num2words
import time

limit = 36
number = 1

api = TwitterAPI('CREDS', 'GO', 'RIGHT', 'HERE')

while True:
    api.request('statuses/update', {'status':num2words(number).replace(" and", "") + '...ah ah ah!'})
    number += 1
    time.sleep(limit)
Thanks a lot, EAT THE EGGS RICOLA! Happily chuggin' away at 4515 tweets as of this post.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?
I can't take credit for the client programming and programmer art (I'm the server programmer/infrastructure guy), but my good buddy has been making a lot of progress on our game "Slammers". Eventually this art will get swapped out by our professional Japanese artist who is helping us during her free time.

Physics based billiards-like monster smashing dungeon crawl!

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

On a whim, I tried out Star Fox with my latest development snapshot of BeagleSNES. It shows a large improvement over the previous performance on the BeagleBone Black. My work on optimizing the rendering pipeline is paying off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us8Bxd_YIs4

Still not perfect, but if I can get this kind of performance on a SuperFX title, regular titles should look great. I also fixed a few crash bugs in Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 (they use the higher resolution 512xXXX video modes of the SNES) during the blitter rework, so win-win. I even wrote some new blitters to cram the higher-res 512 pixel modes onto the 320x240 LCD3 cape display, so you'll be able to play Secret of Mana on the go with a battery pack and a little engineering...

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
Made a small app in WPF(C#) that keeps track of the current CPU temperature because my crappy HP laptop loves overheating.

*note how at 72 celsius, the text is still green colored, cause it can and will sometimes go to 90+

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I was keeping busy while the forums were down. Here's a video of BeagleSNES's new snapshot support and pause menu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Www4GmZjj5c

:dance:

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010
Literally Elvis you're twitter bot is really cool and inspired me to try making one myself.

I made one that pulls the latest dota match of my friend and posts whether he won or lost.

https://twitter.com/MorganDota
(he's only played one game so far since I've started it).

Are you using a scheduler to have it fire off? or just a continuous loop in the file?
edit: saw your github files. retract question.

Manic Mongoose fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 27, 2014

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Howmuch posted:

Made a small app in WPF(C#) that keeps track of the current CPU temperature because my crappy HP laptop loves overheating.

*note how at 72 celsius, the text is still green colored, cause it can and will sometimes go to 90+

Willing to share the source for this? I'm always worried about what my cpu temp is at but don't want to download some crapware that does something more than show a temp.

Annoying Jerk
Feb 19, 2004
Working on a "game engine" with c++14 and modern OpenGL. Having some fun with polygons, random colors, and rotation/translation matrices:

http://gfycat.com/WideImaginativeHyena

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Annoying Jerk posted:

Working on a "game engine" with c++14 and modern OpenGL. Having some fun with polygons, random colors, and rotation/translation matrices:

http://gfycat.com/WideImaginativeHyena

Nice, I was gonna mess around with this at some point soon.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I added in GPIO support for BeagleSNES. Now people can build custom controllers and more easily make BeagleSNES into a handheld unit:

Writing the documentation on this is going to be horrible. The short version is the GPIO code checks for changes in the button states and then inserts the proper joystick events into the main event queue. Since the event loops are all pulling gamepad events from this queue anyway, adding the GPIO support becomes transparent to the rest of the codebase.

Those buttons represent the four directions on a gamepad, the left/right trigger buttons, A/B/X/Y buttons, select/start buttons, and a dedicated "pause" button that pops up the pause/savestate menu.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
I quite like the 'last post' functionality in Awful.apk, where you can choose to set a post as your last-viewed post in a thread, so I threw together a Firefox extension that provides the same functionality.

Some boring jQuery adds the '$' link that you can click to mark the post as the last seen post in a thread. It works in YOSPOS too, but not so much FYAD or BYOB.

I don't know if any other extensions (e.g. SALR) offer this, but I don't really need anything more.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

redleader posted:

I quite like the 'last post' functionality in Awful.apk, where you can choose to set a post as your last-viewed post in a thread, so I threw together a Firefox extension that provides the same functionality.

Some boring jQuery adds the '$' link that you can click to mark the post as the last seen post in a thread. It works in YOSPOS too, but not so much FYAD or BYOB.

I don't know if any other extensions (e.g. SALR) offer this, but I don't really need anything more.

Yeah, SALR does offer it as a little note icon:

Yellow is unread and white is read. It doesn't have any fancy animations like yours and it forces a refresh of the page though, so I like yours more! Maybe check if you can get your code into the SALR codebase? I don't know if they have that kind of thing but I think I remember talking to one of the devs at one point, and I think I remember someone getting changes in.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's not SALR. It's actually a regular forums feature. You have to turn it on in the panel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's not SALR. It's actually a regular forums feature. You have to turn it on in the panel:

Haha, welp. Shows how often I use the settings page!