Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Our Tiler would crumble into dust if he had to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
My first communication as master came on a day where I set a PR for squats.

JW. "Brethren"

JW. "clears throat"

Me. "I'm getting there"

Laughter ensues from the brethren.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
We have an exciting year shaping up. Third degree this month, a new first degree chap month after, and another in September.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...
Joined the HRA Chapter last night (UGLV). Quite an amazing ceremony. Everything QPZIL said it would be.
Going in as JD at our installment next month, and my first job is a 1st degree in August....Any tips??? (Aside from ask someone else to step in for the night...)

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Joined the HRA Chapter last night (UGLV). Quite an amazing ceremony. Everything QPZIL said it would be.
Going in as JD at our installment next month, and my first job is a 1st degree in August....Any tips??? (Aside from ask someone else to step in for the night...)

Read the ritual and speak it out loud while you do. Have another brother assist you by prompting, same as when you learned your answers. Attempt to remember it, line by line, correcting yourself. When you've learned one line, continue. It will take time, so start now, not next month. While I've never done the ritual from the other side and won't for some time, the basic principles of memorization remain essentially the same: repetition, repetition, more repetition. You should already have the text of the ritual; if you don't, ask for it. I know here in Australia everyone is given a copy when they reach a degree of the degree work in case they can't remember a part of the ritual, and while certain words are abbreviated or hidden, a regularly initiated mason will know those words.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Loomer posted:

Read the ritual and speak it out loud while you do. Have another brother assist you by prompting, same as when you learned your answers. Attempt to remember it, line by line, correcting yourself. When you've learned one line, continue. It will take time, so start now, not next month. While I've never done the ritual from the other side and won't for some time, the basic principles of memorization remain essentially the same: repetition, repetition, more repetition. You should already have the text of the ritual; if you don't, ask for it. I know here in Australia everyone is given a copy when they reach a degree of the degree work in case they can't remember a part of the ritual, and while certain words are abbreviated or hidden, a regularly initiated mason will know those words.

Some sound advice there. If you're a Melbourne mason you should come along some time! I guess the JD job isn't the headiest, but my floor work is poor and I'd hate for the new guy to have a disappointing night...

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Some sound advice there. If you're a Melbourne mason you should come along some time! I guess the JD job isn't the headiest, but my floor work is poor and I'd hate for the new guy to have a disappointing night...

Up in northern NSW, but if I'm ever down that way I'll come say hello.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
I find learning ritual works better when done in small chunks over a long period of time. Don't spend hours studying ritual one night, spend 10-15 minutes every day for a couple of weeks.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

runupon cracker posted:

I find learning ritual works better when done in small chunks over a long period of time. Don't spend hours studying ritual one night, spend 10-15 minutes every day for a couple of weeks.

For me a an hour of study a night is about perfect. After one hour my brain turns to mush and can no longer process it efficiently.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I find taking things into the loo helps. You're in there not too long but long enough, and unless you got Problems, you're in there at least once a day.

Also, don't worry too much about perfecting each line right away. Get close in chunks and refine down, as that way you'll recall what follows even if your wording needs polish. I've actually just finished my memorization for my Raising on Wednesday, and while its much less to recall than your upcoming job, both techniques have been helpful.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I'll be honest I probably did my best practices sitting on the john in the restroom at work. I'd carry the training book in my scrubs and whip it out in the restroom and read it. I found it best to just say it like I was doing it live, inflection, everything. Make it into a conversation, because our brains learn conversations better than they learn words after words.

For the actual rituals, same thing. Don't learn them like just memorizing a poem or a passage in a book. Learn them by breaking them down into what is happening, then the conversations that follow around that.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

runupon cracker posted:

Come Monday, I'll have delivered the FC and MM lectures in my first six months, and I agree totally with this. I usually eat a quick lunch and take half an hour to go through a bit more of my lecture. I also practice the full thing on my commute. It usually takes me just about two weeks to learn the whole thing.

That said, I give the MM lecture on Monday for the first time. I'm excited but just a little nervous.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Sorry for the double post, but I'm all excited and want to say that I got the MM lecture down last night. It actually went super smoothly. We had two candidates though, so we were there very late. Just the EA lecture left, and I'll have all 3. We go dark over the summer, so I've got a ton of time to learn it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, off to my raising.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm with CPS right?

I get an abuse call and I grab a LEO and go out to interview the dad at work. He's clearly either on a bipolar manic episode or coked out of his mind and starts going on a full blown RANT about how "Freemasons are controlling the government and taking our children for their own plot" and blah blah blah

I didn't have the heart to go "well I guess in a sense you're right"

very surreal experience, that was.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

So I'm with CPS right?

I get an abuse call and I grab a LEO and go out to interview the dad at work. He's clearly either on a bipolar manic episode or coked out of his mind and starts going on a full blown RANT about how "Freemasons are controlling the government and taking our children for their own plot" and blah blah blah

I didn't have the heart to go "well I guess in a sense you're right"

very surreal experience, that was.

Well, he IS right.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The raising was quite an experience. I do wish I hadn't known what little I did (thanks to bloody Alan Moore. Years of carefully avoiding reading about masonic rites while studying the esoteric and occult - no mean thing to do! - ruined by a bloody graphic novel, From Hell!) but I don't think being aware of that small element greatly impacted the moral lesson.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Loomer posted:

The raising was quite an experience. I do wish I hadn't known what little I did (thanks to bloody Alan Moore. Years of carefully avoiding reading about masonic rites while studying the esoteric and occult - no mean thing to do! - ruined by a bloody graphic novel, From Hell!) but I don't think being aware of that small element greatly impacted the moral lesson.

Congratulations Brother.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Congrats Loomer! I'd suggest you head out as soon as you can go and see another third. I had the good fortune to see one in Nevada on my travels. That took it to a whole new level!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Congrats Loomer! I'd suggest you head out as soon as you can go and see another third. I had the good fortune to see one in Nevada on my travels. That took it to a whole new level!

I'm fortunate enough that a nearby lodge will be doing one in about four months, and if that falls through, we'll be doing another one in about a year or so. We're lucky enough to have two new fellas wanting to join and meeting the approval of the membership committee - one's a bit older, in his 40s (still half as old as most of the lodge) and one's about twenty five so we might not have to worry about our lodge literally dying out within the next decade if this keeps up.

One chap is next month, the other will be either in september or early next year. I'm hoping they'll let me do one of the charges for the latter fellow so that I can really get cracking - and so that as the lodge ages even more, I can relieve the brethren from their duties. One of our fellows was put in as Senior Warden in our last installation and the unfortunate fellow can't remember anything of his new position - and he used to be one of the finest ritualists in the entire state.

I'd be very curious myself, incidentally, to see an American third degree. I'm told the ritual itself is markedly different between our jurisdictions, as is the tracing board for you yankee devils.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm a starpoint for OES now! It's pretty fun.

After being a member for two months, I have to say that I'm glad I've met some really interesting, involved people. I do understand why our lodges seem to be struggling to attract younger membership--there's just lots of older people who seem to argue a lot about (what seems like) minutia. I also heard a rumor that OES might someday allow new initiates who don't have a masonic relative, which seems like the easiest way of getting new blood into the order--I just don't know anyone else who has mason relatives that they're aware of.

Are there any other Texas masons itt?

Brimmstone
Mar 10, 2007

GO CRAZY, FOLKS! GO CRAZY!
Today marks one of the proudest days of my Masonic journey thus far.

I have been rightfully installed as Worshipful Master of my Lodge. Should be a fun year.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Brimmstone posted:

Today marks one of the proudest days of my Masonic journey thus far.

I have been rightfully installed as Worshipful Master of my Lodge. Should be a fun year.

Congrats, brother!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Just to answer the question on everyone's mind: we did it. It was us.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Paramemetic posted:

Just to answer the question on everyone's mind: we did it. It was us.

Shhhh.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Being postsless, what I most desired was more posts.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Emron posted:

Being postsless, what I most desired was more posts.

That made my day.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Lovable Luciferian posted:

That made my day.

I fully intend to milk all versions of that joke as much as I can.

Also: got to be second base the other night. Think the candidate looked up some stuff beforehand, though. When asked to give the FC sign, he have the MM for a split second before correcting himself.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

The latest add-on to 'The Simpsons - Tapped Out' app is pretty fly. Every hour or so my phone lets off a: "We do! We do!"...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Found this in the bad with money thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&pagenumber=111&perpage=40#post431037693

It leads to some fun imaging what we will ask for. Best part is that they will never know.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
When I was traveling in Maine I visited a lodge on Mount Desert island, it was pretty fun, even though I just got a tour from the secretary. However, on the way there we passed the new soon-to-be museum for the Grand Lodge of Maine. It's literally a bank. Still has bank drive through things, they haven't fixed it up yet.

This led to days of "Masons run the banks in Maine" jokes between the wife and I.

If only she knew the truth . . . :mason:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Keetron posted:

Found this in the bad with money thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&pagenumber=111&perpage=40#post431037693

It leads to some fun imaging what we will ask for. Best part is that they will never know.

Someone should just casually mention what the going rate for a kidney is to him. Something around 20,000...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I received my fellowcraft last night, what a lecture! I enjoyed this one much more than the first, and looking forward to my raising soon!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

I received my fellowcraft last night, what a lecture! I enjoyed this one much more than the first, and looking forward to my raising soon!

That's my favorite lecture. Congrats!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

SaNChEzZ posted:

Sooooo much going on in that lecture, it's a great one.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I get kind of jealous when I hear about y'all talking about degrees and being raised. It doesn't seem like there's an OES equivalent...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Emron posted:

That's my favorite lecture. Congrats!

One day I hope to be able to deliver it myself.

QPZIL posted:

Sooooo much going on in that lecture, it's a great one.

It definitely was, so much info, and all so interesting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
If you like the second degree lecture, that is to say, the connection with ancient instruction and ideas, and perhaps the ancient ideas of the "mystery schools", where knowledge was passed on via ritual and secrecy and symbolism... let me know after you're raised :) I've written papers and can suggest some books to check out!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
http://www.thefreemasonmovie.com/

So, the Freemason Movie with Sean Astin is now available on DVD. I think I'll wait until I can get it digitally, but if someone buys it, I would love to hear some impressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

One day I hope to be able to deliver it myself.

Tell your lodge that and start learning it! It really gets you thinking more about what's in the lecture, and really brings home some points that get glossed over when you're just listening.