Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Shoren posted:

Seychelles 2030! All stadiums will be built on rafts!

Waterworld Cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This weeks Private Eye has several stories about Fifa corruption, well worth picking up. Did you know all the world cup tickets are sold via a small office in south Manchester? Also, in relation to Phaedra Almajid's claim to have witnessed a $1.5million bribe to Fifa executives and her subsequent "retraction":

quote:

His Qatari hosts gave him a copy of what they said was her confession, written in stilted legalistic phrases, in a Word document. If Bond had clicked on the file's "Properties", however, he would have discovered that it had been drafted by a senior partner in the London office of lawyers Olswang.

She now says she was coerced into her retraction and it is claimed that the FBI have recordings of threats to her.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Badger of Basra posted:

Why hasn't anyone already done this? It's widely reported that Qatar is basically a slave state. Are India/Nepal too afraid to make a fuss?

This is from a few pages back but: the economies of the Philippines and Nepal run on a lot of money flowing in from guest labourers working abroad. Labour is a huge export business especially for the Philippines, and if they start making a fuss about the treatment of their citizens in certain rich oil states, they run the risk of the money hose shutting down. As long as the guest workers get paid just enough to send some of it back home, they won't make a peep. So what if some of them are kept as domestic slaves or worse.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

frankenfreak posted:

Reality is even sillier: they send him some questions to answer in English, Beckenbauer asked them to send them in German, they didn't, so he didn't answer them, so they hit him with a ban.

That's not true, the guardian said he got the questions in German, too

Distant Mist
Apr 22, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

He was silly enough to get caught with the watches.

That wasn't Beckenbauer. It was Rummenigge.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
You would think a guy like Putin would have a better fitting suit.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Lladre posted:

You would think a guy like Putin would have a better fitting suit.

KGB DNA

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
England-Italy was a fun preview of what every game will look like in 2022.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hahaha of all the WC bids to be investigated, FIFA's ethics guy is investigating England for buying a lavish dinner for delegates from the Caribbean.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/15/fifa-investigates-england-2018-world-cup-bid-payment

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
England "deserves" it for the media daring to question FIFA's (and the FA's) conduct during the bid way back when.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I can't find the quote right now but some law professor said that on the basis of previous form Garcia would find whatever his paymasters wanted him to. He was a Bush appointment and worked on terror cases. He's also banned from entering Russia due to involvement in Guatanamo bay and torture cases, although that is probably more political than anything.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The results of this investigation will of course be that the English delegation were the only ones who bribed anybody and thusly will be punished. I can't wait.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Pook Good Mook posted:

England-Italy was a fun preview of what every game will look like in 2022.

Qatar is a dry heat.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

Qatar is a dry heat.

In summer it should be but with the Gulf you never know.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

vyelkin posted:

Hahaha of all the WC bids to be investigated, FIFA's ethics guy is investigating England for buying a lavish dinner for delegates from the Caribbean.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/15/fifa-investigates-england-2018-world-cup-bid-payment

Something that got me from that article (apart from the amusing Beckanbauer bit at the end) was the fact that Guatemala has a FIFA delegate that has a say in where the world cup is hosted. Do they even play football in Guatemala?! It just strikes me as completely mental that lets say a country the size of Barbados (280,000 people) has as much say in where they hold the world cup as a country like Brazil (200,000,000 people) which has almost x1000 more people in it.

Or am I being dumb and it doesn't work like this?

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Dravs posted:

Something that got me from that article (apart from the amusing Beckanbauer bit at the end) was the fact that Guatemala has a FIFA delegate that has a say in where the world cup is hosted. Do they even play football in Guatemala?! It just strikes me as completely mental that lets say a country the size of Barbados (280,000 people) has as much say in where they hold the world cup as a country like Brazil (200,000,000 people) which has almost x1000 more people in it.

That's exactly how it works.

Democracy!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its one of the reasons FIFA is hosed at doing anything important. Before he got caught bribing everyone Jack Warner had a ridiculous amount of power because all of the CONCACAF members did whatever he wanted giving him a huge amount of votes despite all being poo poo at football

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Maybe it should be like the UN, countries that have won the world cup have veto power.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
*everything gets vetoed because "Las Malvinas son Argentinas"* ah yes

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Dirk Pitt posted:

Qatar is a dry heat.

"Dry heat" means jack poo poo when the temperature is higher than 45°C

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

pointsofdata posted:

I can't find the quote right now but some law professor said that on the basis of previous form Garcia would find whatever his paymasters wanted him to. He was a Bush appointment and worked on terror cases. He's also banned from entering Russia due to involvement in Guatanamo bay and torture cases, although that is probably more political than anything.

Well, he would have had subpoena power while working for the US Attorney's office. With FIFA, he'll just be reading whatever documents FIFA feel like giving him and talking to the people who are okay with being interviewed.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Dravs posted:

If they did it by population, China and India (who are also poo poo at football) would basically be able to outvote everyone else.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jose posted:

Its one of the reasons FIFA is hosed at doing anything important. Before he got caught bribing everyone Jack Warner had a ridiculous amount of power because all of the CONCACAF members did whatever he wanted giving him a huge amount of votes despite all being poo poo at football

It's also why Blatter keeps fondling the balls of the African Confederation. The sad truth is that at FIFA you can get anything you want by ignoring Europe and the rest of the 1st World by playing to the developing world's propensity to accept bribes.

I'm not trying to be racist as gently caress, it has more to do with the fact that countries like Barbados and Chad don't exactly have a vibrant history of a free and investigative press. Also, in a lot of countries bribes are just the way business is done, it's not strange.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 17, 2014

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

vyelkin posted:

You have to admire the world class trolling here.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

Qatar is a dry heat.

It's dry until the end of July, but the Shamal wind blows from May and can make conditions pretty unbearable. Dry heat without the wind can even be pleasant when you're used to it, but you just avoid outdoors altogether from August until mid October.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Koesj posted:

*everything gets vetoed because "Las Malvinas son Argentinas"* ah yes

also gibraltar

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's also why Blatter keeps fondling the balls of the African Confederation. The sad truth is that at FIFA you can get anything you want by ignoring Europe and the rest of the 1st World by playing to the developing world's propensity to accept bribes.

I'm not trying to be racist as gently caress, it has more to do that countries like Barbados and Chad don't exactly have a vibrant history of a free and investigative press. Also, in a lot of countries bribes are just the way business is done, it's not strange.

Yeah, if only 1st world moral stalwarts Platini and Beckenbauer had more power Qatar would never end up with the world cup.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Maradona wasn't allowed into the Argentina game, says it's because he's badmouthing FIFA.

The Guardian posted:

Diego Maradona has claimed he was turned away by Fifa officials when he tried to attend Argentina’s World Cup Group F win over Bosnia-Herzegovina with his son Diego Fernando.

Maradona, who has regularly used his daily broadcasts from Brazil to make allegations about Fifa’s ethics, claimed he was refused entry at the Maracanã due to the governing body’s “ill will”.

“I was not allowed to go in to the game,” he told the Argentinian channel TyC Sports. “So I had to return to the hotel to see the second half. I did everything I could but they would not let us in.

“Someone just said no, it could not happen, so I had to watch it on TV. Hopefully we will get this resolved because I want to go and see Argentina in several more games.

“It is one thing to not be able to go to a game, and another to not be allowed to go. When there is goodwill, you’re allowed in but when there is ill will, it’s better to forget it and head back to the hotel, which it’s what we did.”

Speaking at the start of the tournament on the Telesur TV show he co-anchors, Maradona called Fifa’s power over the country “ugly, and people need to know it”.

“Fifa is a multinational that is eating the ball,” he said. “Countries can’t do anything against them. If Fifa decides where soft drinks must be sold, that’s where they have to be sold.”

He also made several specific allegations against Fifa’s president, Sepp Blatter.

Fifa, however, said it had no record of the apparent Maracanã incident, telling local media: “We are not aware that he was not allowed in to the Maracanã. Perhaps he just tried the wrong door.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/18/diego-maradona-fifa-banned-maracana

The show is pretty interesting, by the way. It's called De Zurda, I know Argentina's TV Pública has put a couple full episodes on youtube and you can stream it for free on Telesur's website.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps he just tried the wrong door! that's brilliant!

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

JFairfax posted:

Perhaps he just tried the wrong door! that's brilliant!

Unironically the most probable cause.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Maybe he should've tried it get in with the Chilean fans?

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27868764

BBC posted:

A £19m film version of Fifa's history, in which president Sepp Blatter is one of the heroes, is opening in Serbia but no plans have been announced for worldwide release. What is going on?

Sepp Blatter is happy to have been played by Tim Roth. "In this case the casting was well done," the president of Fifa said when he met the actor at a lakeside hotel. "We have some common, let's say, qualities."

The film premiered at the Cannes Film Festival last month, with Fifa facing accusations that it is a mere vanity project showing Blatter and Havelange as commercial visionaries. "Everything I've done up until this point has been for the good of football," Blatter's character says in the official trailer.

Of the film's three stars, only Depardieu attended the Cannes premiere. Roth, who declined to speak to the BBC, has previously hinted at subversion in his performance.

"I was like, 'Where's all the corruption in the script?'" he told the Times. "Where is all the back-stabbing, the deals? So it was a tough one. I tried to slide in a sense of it, as much as I could get in there." Director Frederic Auburtin has said he inserted "ironic parts".

Just checked, no it is not April Fools day.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Cutscene Powers posted:

I read a thing about this and apparently they showed Fifa the script before they started shooting and Sepp rewrote huge swathes of it lol

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hamad bin Khalifa bin Ahmad Al Thani, head of the Qatar Football Association, wrote a piece for the Guardian about how Qatar is amazing and totally the best place to have the World Cup. It's hilarious.

quote:

Qatar does not have a rich football history. We are a small country. Temperatures are high in the summer. However unfairly, our wealth alone fuels suspicions. But our bid succeeded not because these big questions were ignored but because we provided compelling answers. We turned each challenge to our advantage. We won because our bid was seen as the best.

quote:

I accept that we spent more money campaigning than other bids, but this was solely to catch up with our better known rivals. We had to tell people about our country and what we could offer, to overcome the perceived obstacles. But from the day we launched our bid to the day our country's name was pulled from the envelope in Zurich, we played strictly by the rules. It is why we are happy to cooperate fully with the Fifa inquiry into the bidding process. We have nothing to hide or fear.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/20/why-qatar-had-strongest-bid-for-2022-fifa-world-cup

Of course most of the comments have been removed by moderators.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lmao compelling answers. They've gone back on everything they said in the bid

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Cutscene Powers posted:

Fuckery in the film industry involving FIFA, who'd have thunk it

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Yes, compelling answers that would require the use of nonexistant future tech. I'm sure that when they were prepping their bid package they probably said to each other "Why should we consult an engineering firm? Your home has a/c, this office has a/c, of course we can air condition our stadiums!"

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Shoren posted:

Yes, compelling answers that would require the use of nonexistant future tech. I'm sure that when they were prepping their bid package they probably said to each other "Why should we consult an engineering firm? Your home has a/c, this office has a/c, of course we can air condition our stadiums!"

I like to think it wasn't even this well thought through. They got there and Sepp asks how they intend to deal with the temperatures, and they all start looking at each other for an answer until one stammers out "uh, we'll uh, we could, I mean, uh, we can air condition them! They'll be air conditioned. Yeah." and all the other Qataris agree that they had definitely all intended to do that all along.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Remember there were going to be hovering cloud type things to keep the pitch shaded too or some poo poo? They literally said this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I propose holding the 2026 World Cup in Liechtenstein. My bid proposal involves the use of fusion reactors to supercool the stadium, antigravity trains to get you from your hotel to the FIFA Fan Zone, and antimatter sensors in the ball for unparalleled goal line technology. As an aside, we will be providing free Bugatti Veyrons to all FIFA Executive Committee members, but that's just to compensate for the fact that everyone knows all the countries we're competing against are good at hosting tournaments already.