Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I use my mousewheel button as my push to talk. I have also used the 'back' button on my mouse as push-to-talk for fps games (I use a Logitech MX518 -- aka the best mouse in the world).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

dialhforhero posted:

I use a Logitech MX518 -- aka the best mouse in the world.

Someone is mad they didn't get a G9x before they were discontinued and replaced by several significantly worse things.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The mx518 was pretty great. I replaced it with a g500. It has just enough buttons without having too many buttons like a g600.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
I am using an intellimouse explorer 3.0.

One day it will break, and I will replace it with an intellimouse explorer 3.0 :colbert:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Sir_Substance posted:

One day it will break, and I will replace it with an intellimouse explorer 3.0 :colbert:

The heat death of the universe may happen sooner.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Sir_Substance posted:

I had one of those and used it for like 14 years before the scroll wheel went to poo poo on it and I finally had to replace it. Got a Razer Taipan and I'm pretty happy with it.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Boogalo posted:

The heat death of the universe may happen sooner.

One of my friends has a 3.0 he has used for so long that his thumb has rubbed through the outer shell of plastic so that the transparent illuminated red inner shell is just visible through the side of the mouse.

Wulfling posted:

I had one of those and used it for like 14 years before the scroll wheel went to poo poo on it and I finally had to replace it. Got a Razer Taipan and I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm pretty sure that's a common and fixable problem, but a quick google didn't provide me with a convenient link to drop. Still, I'm pretty sure it was something easy like pop it open and wedge a spring with some paper or something like that.

Sir_Substance fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 19, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sir_Substance posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a common and fixable problem, but a quick google didn't provide me with a convenient link to drop. Still, I'm pretty sure it was something easy like pop it open and wedge a spring with some paper or something like that.

Ok fine, but why would you bother with this absurd hobo-tech? The war is over, we won, Germany lost. Mice are cheap and plentiful. I realise we are in a worldwide recession but Christ on a bike, things aren't that bad are they?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I use my caps lock key which results in

"HEY GUYS WHere's the fleet"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Up until about a month ago my fiancee was still using the Logitech G5 I bought almost a decade ago. We're reasonably certain the only reason it started sketching out was because the cat chewed the cord :argh:. Oh, for old-school logitech gear.

I was a razer fanboy for the last couple years but I've finally come to the conclusion that their stuff is just good, not great - I finally phased out my last piece of razer gear early this week.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

darth cookie posted:

Ok fine, but why would you bother with this absurd hobo-tech? The war is over, we won, Germany lost. Mice are cheap and plentiful. I realise we are in a worldwide recession but Christ on a bike, things aren't that bad are they?

The G9x has been discontinued and prices for remaining stock are ~200 USD now. From a quick Google, the "intellimouse explorer 3.0" is discontinued as well so I can imagine that they're getting hard to get a hold off and the price is going up.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
M570 thumb trackball supremacy. Then again I don't really play any sort of twitchy games.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

dialhforhero posted:

I use my mousewheel button as my push to talk. I have also used the 'back' button on my mouse as push-to-talk for fps games (I use a Logitech MX518 -- aka the best mouse in the world).

The one and only truth.

I'm on my second one. My first was bought in 2004-5. If I would have known that Logitech would throw away the best thing they have ever created, I would have purchased more in bulk.

Conversation over. The clear winner has arrived.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

My mouse has right click, left click, and a scroll wheel :negative:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I tried using scroll wheel for mumble, but this is a problem since I use the scroll wheel to navigate pages. (Not scrolling with it, but pressing it and dragging it.) Then I tried using control for mumble, but this is a problem since that's the key I use to target things. :downs:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

AdorableStar posted:

I tried using scroll wheel for mumble, but this is a problem since I use the scroll wheel to navigate pages. (Not scrolling with it, but pressing it and dragging it.) Then I tried using control for mumble, but this is a problem since that's the key I use to target things. :downs:

Get a good mouse. Rebind a random extra button on the mouse to Scroll Lock. Use Scroll Lock for Mumble PTT.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I use the ` key to the left of 1.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

darth cookie posted:

Mostly because no mouse currently in production is as good as the IME3. You can still buy them, even though production has stopped, but most of the resellers are on amazon, and most amazon resellers don't ship to Australia, but amazon doesn't tell you whether that reseller will ship to you or not until the very end of the checkout, so you have to try every reseller either one at a time or in huge batches to find someone who will sell to you, and honestly it's easier just to stick a wedge of paper under the spring.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You guys realize Mumble can just bind Mouse4 directly, right? You don't need to set up a macro.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Maybe it's just ~elitepvp~ but do you guys not have two PTT hotkeys?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

darth cookie posted:

Not necessarily. My old Speedlink-mouse did cost about as much as a dozen lesser mice combined. (And as with everything, the price goes still up with other models, but my little monster was expensive enough for my taste.)

Really, as long as the mouse is large enough to let me rest my hand on it, has a mouse wheel broad enough to let me rest my middle finger on it and has an easy-to-clean-and-desinfect form, I'm content. Actual quality comes second, after a large rift.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You guys realize Mumble can just bind Mouse4 directly, right? You don't need to set up a macro.

Sure, if you like it when your browser goes back one page each time you talk.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Seditiar posted:

So bind it to Mouse5 instead.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

pugnax posted:

quote:

My hotkeys are Mouse4 and Mouse5 so I can just wildly flail around with my thumb when excited.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Seditiar posted:

Or unbind it in your browser because it's not the 90's any more and you shouldn't need to navigate by back/forward so often as to have a dedicated mouse button for it.

Also only an issue if your browser window has focus when you're talking on mumble. Basically you would have to go out of your way or use a lovely browser for this to actually be a problem. :shobon:

edit: Firefox ignores it even if it has focus but your cursor is outside the window!

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 19, 2014

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Ablative posted:

I'd do that, if it weren't for the lovely position Mouse5 is at on my mouse (it's on the right instead of on the left).

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or unbind it in your browser because it's not the 90's any more and you shouldn't need to navigate by back/forward so often as to have a dedicated mouse button for it.

Also only an issue if your browser window has focus when you're talking on mumble. Basically you would have to go out of your way or use a lovely browser for this to actually be a problem. :shobon:

edit: Firefox ignores it even if it has focus but your cursor is outside the window!

Does it really matter which program you change your hotkey in? v :) v

E: And at least 90% of the time I'm browsing while talking on Mumble, you as an EVE player should know that.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or unbind it in your browser because it's not the 90's any more

Expand please.

This conversation has been the final prod of motivation I needed to buy something I've been wanting for years. An IBM Model M (well, a unicomp remake) will soon be inbound. I look forward to using it as an improved weapon against would-be home invaders.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

My point is more that it turns out I never actually rebound it in either program and just never noticed because it's not actually a problem.

If you bind it to Scroll Lock does that make the keyboard indicator toggle every time you PTT?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 19, 2014

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My point is more that it turns out I never actually rebound it in either program and just never noticed because it's not actually a problem.

I never noticed it with my previous mouse either, previous mouse's software might've fixed it by default. This one's a real bitch though and I just had to rebind it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you bind it to Scroll Lock does that make the keyboard indicator toggle every time you PTT?

Yup. :negative:

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Sir_Substance posted:

One of my friends has a 3.0 he has used for so long that his thumb has rubbed through the outer shell of plastic so that the transparent illuminated red inner shell is just visible through the side of the mouse.

Thats how mine looked, and by saying the wheel went to poo poo, I mean it basically disintegrated. I wanna say we got that mouse in the mid-late nineties, and I didn't replace it just last year. Most of the white outer shell was gone, and all that was left was that transparent red shell. The whole mount for the mouse wheel was pretty much destroyed, which is why I finally swapped it out.

My PTT is numpad +. Its right by my thumb, and it doesn't tend to interfer with anything else. Though any time I try to talk near a text field its all, "+++++++++++++++" for days. I wouldn't want to set it to Mouse 4 or 5 simply because it might screw me up while browsing.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Huh. Chrome ignores it too. I didn't know it did that. Maybe I will switch it to MB4.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

ChickenWing posted:

Up until about a month ago my fiancee was still using the Logitech G5 I bought almost a decade ago. We're reasonably certain the only reason it started sketching out was because the cat chewed the cord :argh:. Oh, for old-school logitech gear.

This is the only true mouse! I'm still using a G5 as well, and where the original rust/grey colour pattern was supposed to look worn, quite a bit of it is now worn down to the actual plastic underneath. I also think the cord is starting to act a little wobbly, but by god, this mouse is the best I have ever used.

I use the single mouse-button on the side as my PTT key, and I use "CTRL+<" as my whisper key, which works well enough.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Honestly I think the only reason I'm sperging about this is because you guys mentioned scroll lock as the example and having an indicator that works like a toggle for a button that has to be held down would drive me insane.

It's all out of sync! :spergin:

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Sir_Substance posted:

This conversation has been the final prod of motivation I needed to buy something I've been wanting for years. An IBM Model M (well, a unicomp remake) will soon be inbound. I look forward to using it as an improved weapon against would-be home invaders.

Mechanical keyboards are awesome. If there's people near you, they might not be so happy though.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Skuto posted:

Mechanical keyboards are awesome. If there's people near you, they might not be so happy though.

My Razer keyboard is mechanical, and the clicking drives us both nuts. They came out with a silent one about 6 months after I got mine. drat them.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Wulfling posted:

My Razer keyboard is mechanical, and the clicking drives us both nuts. They came out with a silent one about 6 months after I got mine. drat them.

The louder the better, that is unless you share your space with other people. Love my ducky shine with blue switches - everything you type gives a feeling of punctuation and satisfaction

OnymousCoward
Feb 19, 2014
If you're going for a mechanical keyboard there's a pretty good thread in SH/SC. Also Cherry MX Clear switches are the best.

I set my PTT to NumLock and then duplicate that key on my mouse. Nice and simple, doesn't get in the way.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

pugnax posted:

I had three. One to talk to the channel, one to talk to other guys in the FC channel, one to talk to all the FC channels.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Wulfling posted:

You can just buy a washer kit for them.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
I don't know about you guys (actually I do because that's all that's on this friggin' page) but I just mash F1 all the time and hope that gets the job done.

Oh, and ullerm wrote a thing on interceptors which is very telling, though with Fozzie's hard-on for interceptors in their current state who knows if anything will get changed. I didn't see it mentioned here yet so sorry if someone else put it here already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

deadtear posted:

You can just buy a washer kit for them.

Clacky keyboards are the best. gently caress all haters.

• Locked thread