Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
Waterloo, ON - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB), a world leader in mobile communications, today announced that the Amazon Appstore will be available with the launch of the BlackBerry 10.3 operating system this fall, greatly expanding access to thousands of the most popular apps and games to BlackBerry customers.

With more than 240,000 Android applications in the Amazon Appstore worldwide, BlackBerry 10 device customers will gain access to popular apps such as Groupon, Netflix, Pinterest, Candy Crush Saga and Minecraft.

The strategic move also enables BlackBerry to align its developer program with its renewed focus on delivering the most secure, end-to-end mobile enterprise solutions, by placing more emphasis on the development of vital enterprise and productivity applications.

"Making the Amazon Appstore available on BlackBerry 10 devices will help BlackBerry continue to meet two essential needs: greater app availability for our smartphone users and enhanced productivity solutions for enterprises," said BlackBerry Executive Chairman and CEO John Chen. "We've listened to our customers and have taken this important step to deliver on their needs, while executing on our strategy."

BlackBerry and Amazon will be working with the BlackBerry application developer community to help them migrate their apps to the Amazon Appstore in preparation for the 10.3 launch, where they will benefit from the store's powerful promotional tools that enable maximum discoverability and profitability. This will include Appstore Developer Select, which provides enhanced merchandising, as well as Amazon Coins incentives, the Developer Promotions Console, which enables real-time pricing adjustments and specials, and the popular Free App of the Day program.

BlackBerry will unveil a new enterprise application partner program for corporate developers, ISVs and systems integrators, designed to expand the number of enterprise applications that leverage BlackBerry 10 to deliver business-class functionality and enhance users' productivity, communication and collaboration.

For more information about BlackBerry 10, visit https://www.blackberry.com/blackberry10OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
just wanted to :justpost: and say that the poll is a good one

ok cya

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Glans Dillzig posted:

just wanted to :justpost: and say that the poll is a good one

ok cya

much obliged! :tipshat:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Nelson MandEULA posted:

With more than 240,000 Android applications in the Amazon Appstore worldwide, BlackBerry 10 device customers will gain access to popular apps such as Groupon, Netflix, Pinterest, Candy Crush Saga and Minecraft.

For more information about BlackBerry 10, visit https://www.blackberry.com/blackberry10OS.

tools not toys

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Nelson MandEULA posted:

Waterloo, ON - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB), a world leader in mobile communications

The Canadian Press posted:

TORONTO – BlackBerrys are vanishing in Canada while Google Android ownership grows steadily, but Apple’s iPhone is still the most popular smartphone in the country, suggests a new report.

About 85 per cent of the adult anglophone population now has a cellphone, while three quarters of them carry a smartphone, according to a report by the Media Technology Monitor, based on telephone surveys this spring with more than 2,000 Canadians.

The iPhone was the device of choice among 42 per cent of the smartphone owners, while a variety of phones on the Android platform collectively made up 39 per cent of the market.

To no one’s surprise, the MTM survey found BlackBerry’s share of the market has withered away in its home country.

In 2009, 61 per cent of Canadian smartphone owners said they used a BlackBerry. Now, just 14 per cent call themselves devotees of the struggling brand.

BlackBerry’s marketshare plunged by half in the past two years, according to MTM.
"world leader"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

WATERLOO, Ont. -- BlackBerry (TSX:BB) delivered a surprise profit of $23 million during its first quarter, beating analyst expectations, as results showed that efforts to remodel the company's smartphone business are making some headway.

The Waterloo, Ont.-based smartphone maker says the results were equal to four cents per share, compared with a loss of $84 million or 16 cents a year ago.

On an adjusted basis, BlackBerry reported a loss of 11 cents per share, which came in above analyst estimates of a loss of 26 cents, according to Thomson Reuters.
Related Stories

However, revenue tumbled to $966 million for the three months ended May 31, compared with $3.07 billion a year ago.

hey guys we're gonna be okay, the water leaking through the bottom of the boat has mostly put out the engine fire and we're not sinking on any one particular side at the moment

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

yeah but how much of that was from selling off all their real estate?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr. Apollo posted:

yeah but how much of that was from selling off all their real estate?

shush

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4586818-blackberry-beats-expectations-with-23-million-q1-profit-revenue-falls/

quote:

Chief executive John Chen has said he aims to make BlackBerry a break-even company by the end of the fiscal year with a target of rising to profitability in its 2016 financial year.

"Over the past six months, we have focused on improving efficiency in all aspects of our operations to drive cost reductions and margin improvement," he said in a statement.

Chen was hired last year to reshape BlackBerry's business model, reduce expenses and lead an effort to help the company find a better footing in the highly competitive tech sector.

On a conference call with analysts, Chen gave some insight into BlackBerry's plans for the rest of the year.

He said the company will launch a new keyboard smartphone model called the BlackBerry Passport in September, while he also plans to hold an event the same month to showcase its new hardware lineup for next year.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Blackberry: A Break-Even Company

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

gentlemen we have invented a canadian passport nobody will want

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
guys blackberry actually made a profit and cut operating expenses by more than half since last year

maybe they won't die???

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

flakeloaf posted:

wowsers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Canadian passports have existed for a while now

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Blackula69 posted:

guys blackberry actually made a profit and cut operating expenses by more than half since last year

maybe they won't die???

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Blackula69 posted:

maybe they won't die???

quote:

However, revenue tumbled to $966 million for the three months ended May 31, compared with $3.07 billion a year ago.

revenue fell by two thirds

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

maybe they won't die???

well they had an operating loss still

but a really tiny one. this looks like good news for blackberry :ohdear:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

https://twitter.com/danielhsqr/status/479585246498021376 posted:

$BBRY actually burned $255M The gains came from a $397 tax refund and the $287M sale of their real estate / offices.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

realtors in motion

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

flakeloaf posted:

realtors in motion

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

Shaggar posted:

Canadian passports have existed for a while now

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/andreabellemare/status/479636865528909824/photo/1

quote:

On to the Passport. Was code-named Windermere says Chen. Says it's either world's biggest phone or the smallest tablet.

quote:

More Passport info. Can read 60 characters total across the screen, 453 DPI, highest density display says Chen.

Live tweets from https://twitter.com/andreabellemare

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
a real canadian passport will get you lovely beer in foreign countries where they probably have better beer anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gper3YkzMg

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

quote:

Andrea Bellemare @andreabellemare · 20m
The QNX cloud will be highly secure, says Chen, despite avail to public. It's part of BlackBerry's entry into internet of things.

quote:

internet of things

mods, please, eh

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus christ

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the blackberry passport is the best companion to your smartw
atch!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

quote:

Shareholder calls BB putting itself up for sale a "debacle," asks Chen to explain it. Another person shouts, "Ask Mr. Watsa!"

:lol:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

well they had an operating loss still

but a really tiny one. this looks like good news for blackberry :ohdear:

not by the gaap results, and that's all that counts

but HOLY loving poo poo YOU GUYS

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

should have sent a poet

a poet with very small fingers

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

IT'S A PHABLET WITH A KEYBOARD

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

THAT IS A 7" DEVICE

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

There will be a lot more "tax refunds" given by the Canadian government to keep BBRY afloat.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

THAT IS A 7" DEVICE

there's only room in my pants for one 7" device

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

note the lack of punctuation/special characters

well you certainly won't need to be typing $ on a regular basis if you're dumb enough get one of these

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

no

gaap/non-gaap is an important distinction, and if you literally don't know anything else you should go with the gaap results.

but so is operating/realised. we know exactly why blackberry turned a profit, and it's not things that they'll be able to do next quarter or next year. the operating results are most important when you're looking at the long-term health. (and at a loss of only 60 million, they're unexpectedly good!)

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

yeah the operating loss was actually big but hey, profit! for one quarter!

also that's blackberry's second tax refund in the past 6 months, as discussed by me in this thread

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

no

gaap/non-gaap is an important distinction, and if you literally don't know anything else you should go with the gaap results.

but so is operating/realised. we know exactly why blackberry turned a profit, and it's not things that they'll be able to do next quarter or next year. the operating results are most important when you're looking at the long-term health. (and at a loss of only 60 million, they're unexpectedly good!)

yeah I didn't actually read your post that closely. i'm just so excited about that loving terrible-looking phablet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

reminder: it's two thousand and fourteen

• Locked thread