Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So uh, seems a bit early but my 2014 TDI is acting up. Perhaps it was funky fuel or something, but I had an incident of misfiring after a hot restart. After starting the engine, I attempted to pull away in first, and that's when it happened. Strong vibrations from the engine and it sounded like it was firing on just two cylinders. I pushed the clutch back in and came off the accelerator. The engine returned to idle and then drove normally. This was at 9,100 miles. I'm now at 10,000. The misfire incident happened last Saturday. Yeah, I've been doing some driving.

Anyway the car goes into the shop on Wednesday anyway since it's due an oil change. Thinking maybe the fuel filter is clogging? I dunno, it's picked up a bunch of diesel knock too, but I kinda figured that was due to the rings setting in and raising compression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dubplate Fire posted:

I just purchased a 5 speed 2014 Jetta SE and was wondering if anyone has tried APR's tune for the 1.8 TSI. I looked online and haven't really seen any reviews so any insight would be welcome. I'll probably wait to see what Unitronic puts out, but I'd like to hear from someone who actually tried to the tune.

No experience with the new engine, but APR generally has top notch tunes for gas engines. I wouldn't think twice about going with them.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
85K mile scheduled maintenance on my B6 A4 looks like it's basically just the oil change. Dealership somehow wants $199. Technician assures me they're also going "check a lot of stuff" and grease my door hinges. You're kidding me, right Audi?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

No experience with the new engine, but APR generally has top notch tunes for gas engines. I wouldn't think twice about going with them.

I had APR on my 04 1.8t and it was about a 40hp gain while still keeping mileage where it was before. You might try looking into the Euro forums as they have had the new 1.8t for a while. I plan on going APR when I get the R but I'm going to give it a year or 2 first until I feel like I won't need the warranty.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

trouser chili posted:

So uh, seems a bit early but my 2014 TDI is acting up. Perhaps it was funky fuel or something, but I had an incident of misfiring after a hot restart. After starting the engine, I attempted to pull away in first, and that's when it happened. Strong vibrations from the engine and it sounded like it was firing on just two cylinders. I pushed the clutch back in and came off the accelerator. The engine returned to idle and then drove normally. This was at 9,100 miles. I'm now at 10,000. The misfire incident happened last Saturday. Yeah, I've been doing some driving.

Anyway the car goes into the shop on Wednesday anyway since it's due an oil change. Thinking maybe the fuel filter is clogging? I dunno, it's picked up a bunch of diesel knock too, but I kinda figured that was due to the rings setting in and raising compression.

Please keep us updated on anything that comes from this. I am at about 8,500 miles on my '13, so I am very curious if there is something I should be watching for.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just checked my maintenance records, and its been 60k since plugs were last done.

I should probably get on that, it would explain the slight drop in fuel economy over the last year haha. Might as well do wires while I'm at it.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

veedubfreak posted:

I had APR on my 04 1.8t and it was about a 40hp gain while still keeping mileage where it was before. You might try looking into the Euro forums as they have had the new 1.8t for a while. I plan on going APR when I get the R but I'm going to give it a year or 2 first until I feel like I won't need the warranty.

My dealer is the one that is going to "chip" it, and he told me that the warranty is still. I thought this was bullshit and called another dealer, apparently if the dealer does it, its okay? It seems a little fishy to me and I might just wait a bit.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Dubplate Fire posted:

My dealer is the one that is going to "chip" it, and he told me that the warranty is still. I thought this was bullshit and called another dealer, apparently if the dealer does it, its okay? It seems a little fishy to me and I might just wait a bit.

This sounds pretty dubious considering most people who flash within warranty are trying to hide it from the dealer because of denied warranty claims. Regardless of what a dealer says the claim still goes to VAG for approval.

420Chris
Jan 1, 2005
love weed.
Even if a dealer does it, it is not okay. Some dealers will offer chip tuning and maybe they will honor the warranty as a dealership but there is no factory warranty support for defects due to tuned ecms, period. Once the ODIS scan tool software detects a flashed ecm during scanning a trigger flag is sent to a server which triggers in your warranty information your ecm has been tuned, as far as I am aware no person can ever remove that flag or even has access to it once it is set. You can call vw customer care and ask them, too. Don't let this dissuade you from getting a flash though, vw is very aware this is all happening, and to be honest warranty coverage being denied due to tuned ecms is really an uncommon thing. Tuned ecms didn't matter when camshafts were tearing up lifters left and right, and now they don't care if your ecm is tuned if your intake manifold runner fails, still covered. There are a lot more denied coverage claims for things like failed mass air flow sensors due to over oiled aftermarket air filters.

420Chris fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 18, 2014

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

I was actually looking at replacing my filter, are oiled filters a bad idea? I think one I saw said the oil was 'special' and didn't affect MAFs, but :iiam:

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Negromancer posted:

Please keep us updated on anything that comes from this. I am at about 8,500 miles on my '13, so I am very curious if there is something I should be watching for.

This also concerns me, as I'm at about 9,000 miles on my '13.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The only real problems i've had with my 13 tdi JSW is that the sunroof is a pile of poo poo. It needs to go in for a second visit to the dealer due to horrible noises that it makes while opening and closing.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

devmd01 posted:

I just checked my maintenance records, and its been 60k since plugs were last done.

I should probably get on that, it would explain the slight drop in fuel economy over the last year haha. Might as well do wires while I'm at it.

Man, are you supposed to do them that often? I didn't swap mine out until 75K. Still haven't replaced the actual coils at 85K.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

420Chris posted:

Even if a dealer does it, it is not okay. Some dealers will offer chip tuning and maybe they will honor the warranty as a dealership but there is no factory warranty support for defects due to tuned ecms, period. Once the ODIS scan tool software detects a flashed ecm during scanning a trigger flag is sent to a server which triggers in your warranty information your ecm has been tuned, as far as I am aware no person can ever remove that flag or even has access to it once it is set. You can call vw customer care and ask them, too. Don't let this dissuade you from getting a flash though, vw is very aware this is all happening, and to be honest warranty coverage being denied due to tuned ecms is really an uncommon thing. Tuned ecms didn't matter when camshafts were tearing up lifters left and right, and now they don't care if your ecm is tuned if your intake manifold runner fails, still covered. There are a lot more denied coverage claims for things like failed mass air flow sensors due to over oiled aftermarket air filters.

TD1 flag is serious business. Being chipped is most likely going to bite you in the rear end if the turbo lets loose or the clutch goes prematurely. Things they can actually point to as wearing due to being run outside of the "specs" they were meant too.

As to you folks having TDI troubles, are you sure you're not just running into a regen cycle? The first few regen cycles make the car idle like absolute poo poo and do weird things, but they eventually stop (or you get used to it). I'm coming up on 33k on my '11 and haven't had any issues other than the drat hiccup at 1900 rpms which seems to be a common issue with the ecu mapping on the TDI.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

TD1 flag is serious business. Being chipped is most likely going to bite you in the rear end if the turbo lets loose or the clutch goes prematurely. Things they can actually point to as wearing due to being run outside of the "specs" they were meant too.

I saw that the APR has the ability to swap between programs, is this the kind of thing that 'hides' the fact that you have done the ECU, if you switch back to the stock ECU before you go in to get serviced? Or is this the sort of thing where you can't undo it somehow once it's been done?

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

tijag posted:

I saw that the APR has the ability to swap between programs, is this the kind of thing that 'hides' the fact that you have done the ECU, if you switch back to the stock ECU before you go in to get serviced? Or is this the sort of thing where you can't undo it somehow once it's been done?

As far as I'm tracking any modification to the ECU can be tracked. They are able to tell that some modification was done even going back to stock. Generally when the service computer is plugged into your vehicle the information gets uploaded to Audi/VW - if your vehicle is TD1 flagged, they can deny stuff based on that. Generally if I understand the laws the burden of proof is on the dealer/VW that your modification caused the issue to happen, but I've read accounts of dealerships refusing to even look at cars that have TD1 codes. Search for TD1 on the Audizine or VWVortex forums and you'll get lots of information, albeit some of it is probably exaggerated.

Link on the TD1 TSB, for Audi - Should be the same for VW.

While we're on the talk of warranty and codes; my car is still under warranty. I understand that installing coilovers will likely void any warranty on the suspension, but I can't imagine it would cause VW/Audi to deny service on the powertrain. I have absolutely no intention of ever touching the powertrain until post-warranty, so is the suspension something I should avoid messing with or am I good to go?

Red87 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 18, 2014

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Red87 posted:

As far as I'm tracking any modification to the ECU can be tracked. They are able to tell that some modification was done even going back to stock. Generally when the service computer is plugged into your vehicle the information gets uploaded to Audi/VW - if your vehicle is TD1 flagged, they can deny stuff based on that. Generally if I understand the laws the burden of proof is on the dealer/VW that your modification caused the issue to happen, but I've read accounts of dealerships refusing to even look at cars that have TD1 codes. Search for TD1 on the Audizine or VWVortex forums and you'll get lots of information, albeit some of it is probably exaggerated.

While we're on the talk of warranty and codes; my car is still under warranty. I understand that installing coilovers will likely void any warranty on the suspension, but I can't imagine it would cause VW/Audi to deny service on the powertrain. I have absolutely no intention of ever touching the powertrain until post-warranty, so is the suspension something I should avoid messing with or am I good to go?

You're fine to do suspension mods it won't affect powertrain coverage.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

veedubfreak posted:

As to you folks having TDI troubles, are you sure you're not just running into a regen cycle? The first few regen cycles make the car idle like absolute poo poo and do weird things, but they eventually stop (or you get used to it). I'm coming up on 33k on my '11 and haven't had any issues other than the drat hiccup at 1900 rpms which seems to be a common issue with the ecu mapping on the TDI.

The regen cycle freaked me out the first couple times that it happened, but I am used to that now. Pretty sure trouser chili is aware of them as well. Sadly my girlfriend does not appreciate me giving the car an italian tune up when I notice it....

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
My dad replaced his Boxster S with a 2012 Audi A5 2.0T (Boxster was wrecked and totaled). He's missing the acceleration he had with the Boxster, so I was thinking about getting him an ECU for his birthday. Is there a go-to ECU that'll give him some good bang-for-the-buck power?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Negromancer posted:

The regen cycle freaked me out the first couple times that it happened, but I am used to that now. Pretty sure trouser chili is aware of them as well. Sadly my girlfriend does not appreciate me giving the car an italian tune up when I notice it....

Yeah I've been through plenty of regens, this wasn't that. Anyway, dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong with it but are now recommending non-alcohol fuel additives. Specifically they said Howes. VW has no official recommendations, but apparently this info came from a corporate VW tech to the dealership. Hearsay I suppose, maybe something worth looking deeper into. I'm worried about additives and the DPF.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Same here, but I'm at almost 50k. I get the hiccup around 1900RPM as well once in awhile. Otherwise no issues with the car besides a burnt out DRL.

I did run Opti Lube for maybe the first 20k, but then I gave up because it was a pain in the rear end.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Had some body work done on my car (replaced a door) and I've got the ESP light stuck on, as well as steering wheel controls inoperative/flaky. Any common harnesses to check for this? Shop guys are great and are willing to scan codes and dig into it some more, but wondering if I can do any background research. 2006 A4.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

raej posted:

My dad replaced his Boxster S with a 2012 Audi A5 2.0T (Boxster was wrecked and totaled). He's missing the acceleration he had with the Boxster, so I was thinking about getting him an ECU for his birthday. Is there a go-to ECU that'll give him some good bang-for-the-buck power?

The car already has an ECU. Are you talking about tuning it?

Honestly there's not much power left on the table without actual parts swapping.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."

Motronic posted:

Honestly there's not much power left on the table without actual parts swapping.

Well, a re-flash or upgrade. I've had a turbo volvo, and I have a turbo BMW now. The Volvo got an ECU flash and the BMW has a piggyback system, both of which jumped the HP and torque significantly.

I'm not sure what the terminology is for the 2.0T Audi engine, but I was assuming there was something similar that would up the boost and fuel mapping.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
APR are the VAG guys.
http://www.goapr.com/

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

tijag posted:

With APR, and others, you can switch between programs. Usually stock, 91 octane, 93 octane, 100 octane or something similar. It used to be enough to just switch to the stock program when you took the car in. However, now when the car is hooked up to the computer it compares the file on the car's ECU to a stock file. Unless they match up exactly it'll flag your car. he only way around that is to have the ECU re-flashed to stock before you take it in for service and then flash it back to APR afterwards. The can still sort of tell that something funny is going on if they want as the APR deal will have to reset the ECU flash counter to 0 and the dealer can, if they want to, check to see if the ECU flash counter has been reset. So while it's not proof of anything directly, you'd need an excuse as to why the ECU flash counter had been reset.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Motronic posted:

I might be wrong but it seems like the 2.0L leaves a lot on the table. Their stage 1 tune requires no extra parts and nets you around 50hp and 60 ft-lbs of torque. From all accounts its no less reliable than stock either and nets the same fuel economy.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Putting together a shopping cart for the 120,000mi service on the wife's FSI 2.0T Passat. Is there anything else I should proactively replace while I'm dropping a decent chunk of change?

So far I have brake fluid, cabin air filter, fuel filter, r8 coils and NGK iridium plugs, and accessory belt. Already did the oil 2k back.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I made a similar list a few pages back for 80,000 miles. Also had coolant, timing belt, transmission fluid. I got yelled at to check the cam follower (a couple good guides were linked).

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Timing belt was done at 107k, and I check the cam follower religiously + have a spare ready.

Coolant isn't a bad idea, I'll have to look into what's involved.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

If you're serious about chip tuning your car and want to keep warranty, just but a 2nd ECU and keep it stock so you can swap it when it goes into the dealer. Of course, you'll also need a VCDS tool in order to reset the codes from the ECU swap.

Switching between programming normally works, but only if someone doesn't actually look inside the ECU box. Once that happens, the proverbial jig is up.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

No. 6 posted:

If you're serious about chip tuning your car and want to keep warranty, just but a 2nd ECU and keep it stock so you can swap it when it goes into the dealer. Of course, you'll also need a VCDS tool in order to reset the codes from the ECU swap.

I've got a VCDS. Got any sources for reasonably priced ECUs?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8ender posted:

I might be wrong but it seems like the 2.0L leaves a lot on the table. Their stage 1 tune requires no extra parts and nets you around 50hp and 60 ft-lbs of torque. From all accounts its no less reliable than stock either and nets the same fuel economy.

That whole thing sounds like an ad for a tuner.

Only the second or third sentence can be true, but not both. Unless you think that VAG had a reason to make a vehicle look worse for what is essentially free to them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Motronic posted:

That whole thing sounds like an ad for a tuner.

Only the second or third sentence can be true, but not both. Unless you think that VAG had a reason to make a vehicle look worse for what is essentially free to them.

What? It may not get the same fuel economy because it will be so much easier to go faster, but don't kid yourself that these companies end up leaving a lot on the table due to emissions and fuel economy requirements.

APR claims 217 HP/264 TQ ----> 265 HP/327 TQ (peak values only) for just a reflash with 93 octane, which is pretty awesome.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

don't kid yourself that these companies end up leaving a lot on the table due to emissions and fuel economy requirements.

So......you agree with me?

The point is that power is left on the table for two reasons: reliability and fuel economy.

Claiming that some tune gives you more power with the same reliability and same fuel consumption is always highly suspect.

As are HP/TQ figures from the same person who is trying to sell you something.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
With the APR tune I got BETTER mileage as long as I kept my foot off the noisy pedal and when I wanted more power, it was there. Most tunes will take you out of the proper emissions curve.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

With the APR tune I got BETTER mileage as long as I kept my foot off the noisy pedal and when I wanted more power, it was there. Most tunes will take you out of the proper emissions curve.

You can also get the APR tune as a trial for like 6 hours or something with an AD. So that would be long enough to get a feel for driveability, but maybe not so much gas mileage.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So, the whole "don't change transmission fluid on a high mileage vehicle it will fail right after you do!!!1!1!" thing, old wives tale, holdover from dexron, or actually a thing?

I know the VW party line on the issue, but I also think its bullshit. To my knowledge this 09G trans has never had its fluid changed.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

As soon as I bought my 2nd hand A8, I dropped the transmission pan, changed the filter, fluid, and gasket. It shifts better now than when I bought it.

I can't imagine a single reason new fluid would cause a transmission to fail, unless you use the wrong fluid or fuckup the fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

No. 6 posted:

I can't imagine a single reason new fluid would cause a transmission to fail, unless you use the wrong fluid or fuckup the fill.

I believe the idea is that the new fluid loosens up pockets of hardened old fluid stuck to surfaces and the transmission has the equivalent of a coronary.

That said I've put on a brave face and flushed the fluid on the past four automatic cars I've owned with no ill effects.