Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm halfway through Raising Steam and there's... just not really any conflict yet.

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but I had to get it out.

Seems like the more recent novels have had focused so much on "well, what if <roundworld concept> showed up on the Disc?", and this time he got so excited about trains that he forgot to write a conflict. I kind of thought the same thing about Unseen Academicals, there just wasn't enough of a story there.

Also I just discovered that I missed "Snuff".

Exactly what happened to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Jesus Christ, Night Watch got incredibly dark when they went in the cellar of the Unmentionables. :smith:

Also I might just be an idiot, but I was very confused about two "action" based things that happened afterwards. Did Vimes cut Swing's throat open with a ruler? Or just smash his windpipe? Like what?
And how did he mess up the siege weapon? He used ginger to make the oxen go crazy I guess? But the other stuff?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Jesus Christ, Night Watch got incredibly dark when they went in the cellar of the Unmentionables. :smith:

Also I might just be an idiot, but I was very confused about two "action" based things that happened afterwards. Did Vimes cut Swing's throat open with a ruler? Or just smash his windpipe? Like what?
And how did he mess up the siege weapon? He used ginger to make the oxen go crazy I guess? But the other stuff?

Metal rulers can be pretty dangerous! I'm pretty sure he cut Swing's throat with it. He mentions blood coming out of it.

He nailed wedges to the things wheels so that it couldn't roll, then he stuck ginger up the oxen's rear end, which apparently makes them go insane. The oxen tried to run but Big Mary couldn't roll with it, so it fell over.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nihilarian posted:

then he stuck ginger up the oxen's rear end, which apparently makes them go insane.

For more detail on the real life practice described in the spoiler:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gingering

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm halfway through Raising Steam and there's... just not really any conflict yet.

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but I had to get it out.

Seems like the more recent novels have had focused so much on "well, what if <roundworld concept> showed up on the Disc?", and this time he got so excited about trains that he forgot to write a conflict. I kind of thought the same thing about Unseen Academicals, there just wasn't enough of a story there.

Also I just discovered that I missed "Snuff".

To follow up, I've finished it and there just wasn't anything to it.

Ok, so they make a train, and spend a great deal of time talking about how the train gets developed and extended. Nobody ever really tries seriously to stop the train, it's very clear that everything the grags do is pretty useless, and it just kind of keeps getting more advanced. The grags knock over clacks towers and mess with the coal stops, but they keep getting their asses kicked and the clacks/railway just rebuild right away.

The only real conflict comes from Ardent usurps the Scone. I should note that this doesn't happen until over 3/4 of the way through the book, up until this point it's all railway chat with the occasional note about how the grags really are such naughty lads and we'll have to do something about the rascals. So the King gets on the train and rides the train all the way to Uberwald, with Moist and the guards handily beating the pathetic opposition from the agents of the grags. They've disconnected the guard van? Oh that's ok, we'll just have Bluejohn catch us up on a handcart in half a page, now we're back on it. They get to Uberwald, there's a page or two of the essentially bloodless counter-revolutionary action, and then Rhys is back in charge.

And the big reveal of the King being the Queen was not much of a surprise, starting with the mention of the sound of a kiss halfway through, then as soon as the midwife gives that meaningful look when she gets near Rhys... I mean come on.

I'm sorry, I love Discworld but this book was rubbish. I haven't really loved any book since the introduction of Moist, but this was especially egregious.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Well, the King being the Queen has been known about much, much longer than before Raising Steam. It's not really meant to be a surprise.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SystemLogoff posted:

Well, the King being the Queen has been known about much, much longer than before Raising Steam. It's not really meant to be a surprise.

That's good, at least. Where was it originally written? It's been a while since I've read the last few DW books and I haven't read Snuff yet

Edit: vv hell it's been a long time since I read that one.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 17, 2014

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Fifth Elephant

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's not said outright, but it is heavily implied. The King tells Cheery something about "Do let me know the name of your dressmaker, I might have some custom for them".

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Finally started reading Discworld after having the first handful of novels on my shelf for the better part of my life. I don't know why I waited so long.

The Color of Magic/The Light Fantastic were pretty great. I'm in the middle of Equal Rites right now, which is really different from the first two as people have said. It's not exactly very funny, nor does the Discworld even seem very prevalent in the novel. It's almost like it doesn't even need to be a Discworld book, not that I'm a discworld expert or something. However, I'm enjoying it more than I expected given the reputation it has.

Really looking forward to finishing it and reading Mort. I love the character of Death and the prospect of a novel centered on him sounds like a lot of fun. I guess there is going to be a whole lot of CAPITAL LETTERS in that novel.

What novel would you guys say is the one where Discworld really takes off and Pratchett really finds his voice? I'm sure there is no hard line answer to that, but I'm interested in what you guys think.

Also, man is it nice taking in a few ~200 page books lately. I've been reading some huge rear end books back-to-back non stop for a while. It's nice to be able to down a book in a couple of days again.

Damo fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 18, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

For each series: Sorcery, Wyrd Sisters, Reaper Man, Guards! Guards!. It's in these four the discworld starts to become whole.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I finished Night Watch. I think the hype did slightly ruin it for me. It was still good, and it seemed to take a far more serious tone than the previous books and had better writing to go with it...But I feel like I have better memories with Guards! Guards! and Jingo.

Now I'm wondering which one I should go for next. Straight on to Thud! (from the sounds of it, I should ignore Snuff?), or perhaps give Going Postal a try? Or go back and do The Truth? (Is that the one I've heard about where the Watch plays an antagonistic role? Also is that anything to do with the brief reference in Night Watch to arresting the Patrician?)

Nihilarian posted:

Metal rulers can be pretty dangerous! I'm pretty sure he cut Swing's throat with it. He mentions blood coming out of it.

He nailed wedges to the things wheels so that it couldn't roll, then he stuck ginger up the oxen's rear end, which apparently makes them go insane. The oxen tried to run but Big Mary couldn't roll with it, so it fell over.

Ohh, thanks for the asnwers. Still can't understand how a ruler could be sharp enough to get through to a jugular, but hey!

Konstantin posted:

I consider Night Watch to be a very strong second to Going Postal, but there is one passage in particular that is absolutely some of the best writing I've ever seen. It's great because it's not a climactic scene or a battle or anything like that, it's a description about how the partial blockade of a city affects the distribution of agricultural goods. It's a perfect example of what makes Pratchett a great writer, anyone can write about interesting things, but Pratchett can make even the most mundane and boring concepts sound absolutely epic. It's also an example of the razor-sharp, perfectly edited writing that seems to be missing from his recent books. :smith:
I'm curious as to what you're referring to. Any chance you could post the quote?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

VagueRant posted:

I finished Night Watch. I think the hype did slightly ruin it for me. It was still good, and it seemed to take a far more serious tone than the previous books and had better writing to go with it...But I feel like I have better memories with Guards! Guards! and Jingo.

Have you read Colour of Magic or Light Fantastic yet? Totally different from pretty much everything else but I really enjoy them. It's sort of like watching the pilot of a great TV series: a lot of the elements are there, and there's a charming roughness to things, but it's definitely the first cut.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
He arrested the Patrician in Jingo, remember?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pidmon posted:

He arrested the Patrician in Jingo, remember?

No, it was in The Truth. He arrested both armies in Jingo. Although he did also technically arrest him in Guards,Guards too.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 18, 2014

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

EvilTaytoMan posted:

No, it was in The Truth. He arrested both armies in Jingo. Although he did also technically arrest him in Guards,Guards too.

No, it was Jingo. After they return to the city Vimes is forced to arrest Vetinari so he can be made to answer for surrendering to Klatch.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, he definitely arrested him in Jingo. Colon and Nobby offer to drag him through the city on a trampoline.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah I got it mixed up with Guards Guards.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Now I'm wondering which one I should go for next. Straight on to Thud! (from the sounds of it, I should ignore Snuff?), or perhaps give Going Postal a try? Or go back and do The Truth? (Is that the one I've heard about where the Watch plays an antagonistic role? Also is that anything to do with the brief reference in Night Watch to arresting the Patrician?)
Ohh, thanks for the asnwers. Still can't understand how a ruler could be sharp enough to get through to a jugular, but hey!
I'm curious as to what you're referring to. Any chance you could post the quote?
Going Postal, The Truth and Thud! are all solid, definitely give them a try.

I'm sorry to hear that you were a bit disappointed in Night Watch.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

VagueRant posted:

It's too long to post here, but it starts right after Vimes destroys Big Mary and looks at his cigar case. The interesting thing about it is that it isn't strictly needed, you can cut that part out and it wouldn't affect the plot much at all. It's purely a case of Pratchett showing off and explaining the entire concept of logistics in a few pages of expository writing. As someone who worked in that field, it really struck a chord with me, because so many people take the incredibly complex and fragile systems that we all rely on to supply us with our basic needs for granted.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Konstantin posted:

It's too long to post here, but it starts right after

It can mostly be summarized with a few paragraphs.

quote:

In a few hours, the shops out there were expecting deliveries, and they weren’t going to arrive. The government couldn’t sit this one out. A city like Ankh-Morpork was only two meals away from chaos at the best of times.

Every day maybe a hundred cows died for Ankh-Morpork. So did a flock of sheep and a herd of pigs, and the gods alone knew how many ducks, chickens, and geese. Flour? He’d heard it was eighty tons, and about the same amount of potatoes, and maybe twenty tons of herring. He didn’t particularly want to know this kind of thing, but once you started having to sort out the everlasting traffic problem, these were the kind of facts that got handed to you.

Every day, forty thousand eggs were laid for the city. Every day, hundreds, thousands of carts and boats and barges converged on the city with fish and honey and oysters and olives and eels and lobsters. And then think of the horses dragging this stuff, and the windmills…and the wool coming in, too, every day, the cloth, the tobacco, the spices, the ore, the timber, the cheese, the coal, the fat, the tallow, the hay EVERY drat DAY…

Against the dark screen of night, Vimes had a vision of Ankh-Morpork. It wasn’t a city, it was a process, a weight on the world that distorted the land for hundreds of miles around. People who’d never see it in their whole life nevertheless spent that life working for it. Thousands and thousands of green acres were part of it, forests were part of it. It drew in and consumed…

…and gave back the dung from its pens, and the soot from its chimneys, and steel, and saucepans, and all the tools by which its food was made. And also clothes, and fashions, and ideas, and interesting vices, songs, and knowledge, and something which, if looked at in the right light, was called civilization. That was what civilization meant. It meant the city.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I loved Thud, thought I Shall Wear Midnight was OK, really found Unseen Academicals lame and disappointing, haven't read anything since. Have I missed anything good?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Entropic posted:

I loved Thud, thought I Shall Wear Midnight was OK, really found Unseen Academicals lame and disappointing, haven't read anything since. Have I missed anything good?

Nope.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think Nation came out between Thud and Academicals, so if you haven't read that you should. It's not Discworld.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Long Mars is out today in the UK.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Pham Nuwen posted:

To follow up, I've finished it and there just wasn't anything to it.

It was the first and only Discworld book I just couldn't get through.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

withak posted:

The Long Mars is out today in the UK.

Ehhhh. The second book was bad enough that I think I just won't bother.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think Nation came out between Thud and Academicals, so if you haven't read that you should. It's not Discworld.

Nation is amazing. It's seriously great.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nation is amazing. It's seriously great.
This is a correct opinion. Nation is on the short list for Pratchett's best work. The first third or so is the best thing he's ever put on paper.

dogoneshame
Dec 10, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is a correct opinion. Nation is on the short list for Pratchett's best work. The first third or so is the best thing he's ever put on paper.

That's... an incredible recommendation. I'll have to get right on that.
As someone who's favorite work of Pratchett's thus far have been Going Postal and Making Money, would you make the same recommendation with equal confidence?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

dogoneshame posted:

As someone who's favorite work of Pratchett's thus far have been Going Postal and Making Money, would you make the same recommendation with equal confidence?

I would. Nation gets a tad wobbly at points, but it is without a doubt in the upper echelons of Pratchett's output and if you enjoyed Moist you ought to like it. Both the protagonists survive and thrive very much based on their wits and intuition.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dogoneshame posted:

That's... an incredible recommendation. I'll have to get right on that.
Since Making Money was awful, yes, regardless of your bad taste. It's a great book. It doesn't maintain the amazing quality of the first third throughout, but it's excellent nonetheless.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Since Making Money was awful, yes, regardless of your bad taste. It's a great book. It doesn't maintain the amazing quality of the first third throughout, but it's excellent nonetheless.

I don't know if I'd call Making Money awful. It had some good moments, but it was just really samey. "yep here's moist getting into wacky adventures to restore a dying old government institution with a weird obsessive kid and a slightly crazy traditionalist old dude!" Like, it wasn't bad, it was just...generic.

raising steam was poo poo though

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a great book. It doesn't maintain the amazing quality of the first third throughout, but it's excellent nonetheless.

Yeah, this.

The first third is completely enthralling, so much so, that I wish that it went on for longer.

The only niggle I have is with the some of the more metaphysical parts. Like Mau and Daphne's trip into the realm of death. Just Mau alone, as an ambiguous scene following on from his breakdown, and overcoming his trauma, I think would have felt more in tune with that universe - it feels too Discworldy otherwise, when it's trying to be its own thing.

I'm finding it hard to articulate why, exactly. It still love the book though, and I think it's one of his better ones.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, this.

The first third is completely enthralling, so much so, that I wish that it went on for longer.

The only niggle I have is with the some of the more metaphysical parts. Like Mau and Daphne's trip into the realm of death. Just Mau alone, as an ambiguous scene following on from his breakdown, and overcoming his trauma, I think would have felt more in tune with that universe - it feels too Discworldy otherwise, when it's trying to be its own thing.

I'm finding it hard to articulate why, exactly. It still love the book though, and I think it's one of his better ones.

You just articulated why. When it was Mau alone there was an open question about weather or not his visions were actually supernatural, or if it was just a way for him to survive and heal from the trauma of losing his people. That ambiguity is beautiful and poignant, and it's lost once Pratchett tips his hand to reveal, without any doubt, that something metaphysical was going on. I think it could have even survived the 'shared dreaming' sequence between Mau and Daphne, but what really killed it was showing Mrs. Gurgle eating the dream fish at the end of that scene.

Still, even with that weak part the book as a whole is outstanding.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

You just articulated why. When it was Mau alone there was an open question about weather or not his visions were actually supernatural, or if it was just a way for him to survive and heal from the trauma of losing his people. That ambiguity is beautiful and poignant, and it's lost once Pratchett tips his hand to reveal, without any doubt, that something metaphysical was going on. I think it could have even survived the 'shared dreaming' sequence between Mau and Daphne, but what really killed it was showing Mrs. Gurgle eating the dream fish at the end of that scene.

Still, even with that weak part the book as a whole is outstanding.

Yeah, a major theme of that book was the traditions of the island giving way to science, and it kind of takes away from that if it turns out that, nah, all the traditions were actually real and science was just wrong.

davestones
May 7, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

Ehhhh. The second book was bad enough that I think I just won't bother.

I've just had it auto-delivered to my Kindle, so must have ordered it at some point and forgotten about it. Still I have spent £7 on it apparently so I suppose I best read it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

davestones posted:

I've just had it auto-delivered to my Kindle, so must have ordered it at some point and forgotten about it. Still I have spent £7 on it apparently so I suppose I best read it.
I thought the same thing about Snuff, and boy was I wrong.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
So there's a Discworld Lego Set that's being voted on if it'll become an official lego set or not. It's going around tumblr at the moment and according to that post... "Hey! There’s a Discworld lego set being voted on over at Lego.com. It needs 10,000 supporters to be considered as a viable set, and if it gets made, 50% of the proceeds will go to Alzheimer research in Sir Terry Pratchett’s name!"

So, y'know, if you want to help kids get into the series maybe vote on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davestones
May 7, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I thought the same thing about Snuff, and boy was I wrong.

My theory is it can't be any worse than some of the dross I have ever read in the past. I'm hoping that Stephen Baxter has basically taken over completely at this point now so as not to completely tarnish Pratchett's name.