Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Don't get your shitoris In a bunch jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
So for your daily dose of sociopaths on social media, a woman is being investigated for killing her son, basically for the MySpace/Twitter/Facebook likes. She had a feeding tube port installed on him when he was a baby and then force=fed him salt until he died, all while updating Facebook. She also watched a child for awhile and claimed it was hers on social media. Mysteriously, both boys under her care would get constant severe ear infections. In the case of the boy she nannied for, they cleared up as soon as she was no longer looking after him.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Eponine posted:

So for your daily dose of sociopaths on social media, a woman is being investigated for killing her son, basically for the MySpace/Twitter/Facebook likes. She had a feeding tube port installed on him when he was a baby and then force=fed him salt until he died, all while updating Facebook. She also watched a child for awhile and claimed it was hers on social media. Mysteriously, both boys under her care would get constant severe ear infections. In the case of the boy she nannied for, they cleared up as soon as she was no longer looking after him.

It's everyone's favorite, Munchausen's by proxy. The woman is mentally ill.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

It always warms my heart in a special way when there are no likes/shares on poo poo like this. Also, it was a guy who shared it.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

trapped mouse posted:

It always warms my heart in a special way when there are no likes/shares on poo poo like this. Also, it was a guy who shared it.

REAL MEN STILL DO THIS

IF HE DOESN'T, HE MAY BE A SYNTHETIC

BE SAFE, BE ALERT

This message paid for by Citizens United Against the Robot Invasion

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Eponine posted:

Good lord, that article is horribly written and broken down into parts.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Good lord, that article is horribly written and broken down into parts.

Gotta drive more hits somehow, and making people load 20 pages to read the article might just do it.

Or make them do like I did, say fuckit, and close the page.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

eating sugar

Let's all say it together!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhyWkBoYvLI

edit: Somebody seriously needs to make a gif of the "Open your mouth" part.

burexas.irom has a new favorite as of 09:41 on Jun 19, 2014

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

dijon du jour posted:

REAL MEN STILL DO THIS

IF HE DOESN'T, HE MAY BE A SYNTHETIC

BE SAFE, BE ALERT

This message paid for by Citizens United Against the Robot Invasion

I've stolen this to bait my Facebook. I will post bites if they occur. Either way, I'll make sure to credit you after a suitable bait period has passed (1-2 days).

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Eponine posted:

Same story, better article

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
our friend who took on the state police, is now going after the president

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

trapped mouse posted:

Why is it always radio stations that do this stupid poo poo?

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Ambitious Spider posted:

our friend who took on the state police, is now going after the president

I had no idea Obama worked at the patent office. I guess you learn something new every day.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Tracula posted:

Gotta drum up listeners somehow.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tracula posted:

Because quite a few people do feel that holding doors for people is still a polite thing to do, think they people hate them for it, and the radio station is trying to get shares so that their name gets around.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
This easily has to be my favorite conspiracy theory page since I don't even know what the gently caress it's supposed to be about.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nuclear-Japan-Earthquake-Tsunami-Monsanto-Banker-Conspiracy-Zardoz/171288189588928

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

RFC2324 posted:

Because quite a few people do feel that holding doors for people is still a polite thing to do, think they people hate them for it, and the radio station is trying to get shares so that their name gets around.

I don't understand people's weird idea that there's this backlash against holding open a door or 'being a gentleman'. I'm pretty sure the worst that'll happen is someone will polity say they've got it. I really don't think a woman is going to spit in your face for DARING to hold open the door for them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

OldTennisCourt posted:

I don't understand people's weird idea that there's this backlash against holding open a door or 'being a gentleman'. I'm pretty sure the worst that'll happen is someone will polity say they've got it. I really don't think a woman is going to spit in your face for DARING to hold open the door for them.

There's tons of STDH.txt about guys who hold doors open for women and the bitch feminist yelled and screamed for being a gentlemen. This is why chivalry is dead!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

OldTennisCourt posted:

Because :argh: FEMINISM RUINS EVERYTHING :argh: or somesuch I'm sure. There's probably a bunch of shit_that_didn't_happen.txt stories about a ~Nice Guy~ holding a door for a woman and her spitting in his face, calling him a loving pig and threatening to castrate him if he ever treats a woman like a lesser being again, etc.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Tracula posted:

This easily has to be my favorite conspiracy theory page since I don't even know what the gently caress it's supposed to be about.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nuclear-Japan-Earthquake-Tsunami-Monsanto-Banker-Conspiracy-Zardoz/171288189588928

oh man my dad is a conpiracy nut he is going to find this hilarious

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you're being a smug rear end in a top hat about it and M'ladying them as you tip your fedora, yeah, I could see them getting worked up. Rightfully so.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Never seen it happen in person(probably because it never would happen in person), but I've seen internet rants about how holding doors open is misogynistic. Course, there's internet rants about everything so... *shrug*

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I dunno where I'm from it's pretty much accepted that you hold the door open for the person behind you regardless of their gender, or yours. I have a really hard time believing in any of these rants where Mr Nice Guy was ranted at by the raging feminazi for the gesture.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I had a guy friend who was uncomfortable with other guys holding doors open for him. I guess if you view it as a form of courtship it'd be weird, but I just think it is polite.

I saw a license plate holder that said m'lady the other day. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see the driver.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Apogee15 posted:

Never seen it happen in person(probably because it never would happen in person), but I've seen internet rants about how holding doors open is misogynistic. Course, there's internet rants about everything so... *shrug*

Did you read about this on Tumblr? I'm willing to bet it was on Tumblr.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I've always had kind of a weird thing about adding please onto the end of questions, for some reason to me it just sounds demanding.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

moerketid posted:

I dunno where I'm from it's pretty much accepted that you hold the door open for the person behind you regardless of their gender, or yours. I have a really hard time believing in any of these rants where Mr Nice Guy was ranted at by the raging feminazi for the gesture.

Yeah, I hold the door open for everyone, if you get to the door and there's someone right behind you, then you keep it open for them. Like someone said, if you waggle your eyebrows, doff your fedora and wish mi'lady a pleasant night you'll look like an rear end, but no one is screaming in anger over people opening the door.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Leon Einstein posted:

I saw a license plate holder that said m'lady the other day. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see the driver.

The best we can hope for is that the driver really loves irony.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

OldTennisCourt posted:

I had a longer post, but I found a Vine I once saw that encapsulates everything I want to say and is idiots on social media:

http://vinescope.com/some-girls-have-no-manners-1132.html

This is the kind of guy who says there's a 'war on chivalry'. It has absolutely nothing to do with being nice to strangers. The comments are better than they were, thankfully.

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
I never had anything to share here til I started adding co-workers. One of them posts a mildly amusing picture:

Which generates a string of "hurr, hurr" comments until the girlfriend takes offense ("Sam" and "Phil" are both girls. "Phil" is the girlfriend and "Sam" is a mutual co-worker)

Don't know why the names change at the end there. Checked the girlfriend's profile and sure enough it's filled to the top with all kinds of possessive "back off my man" statuses and the like. Girl, if you have to work that hard...

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I generally hold the door for everyone (seriously, who doesn't), but I only go out of my way to open doors for elderly women. They definitely appreciate it and sometimes they need help. I've never had anyone get mad at me!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

If people are getting mad at you for showing some basic human kindness then it's time for some internal reflection on how the world perceives you.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

tallest crocodile posted:

I never had anything to share here til I started adding co-workers. One of them posts a mildly amusing picture:

Which generates a string of "hurr, hurr" comments until the girlfriend takes offense ("Sam" and "Phil" are both girls. "Phil" is the girlfriend and "Sam" is a mutual co-worker)

Don't know why the names change at the end there. Checked the girlfriend's profile and sure enough it's filled to the top with all kinds of possessive "back off my man" statuses and the like. Girl, if you have to work that hard...

drat, even the least possessive girlfriend in the world wouldn't like that first comment on a picture. Some probably wouldn't come down so hard on the other girl but yeah, any girl would react badly.

E: come down :)

orange sky has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Jun 19, 2014

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I go out of my way to hold the door for my feminist female friends. They mostly just like the joke though :(

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

orange sky posted:

drat, even the least possessive girlfriend in the world wouldn't like that first comment on a picture. Some probably wouldn't go down so hard on the other girl but yeah, any girl would react badly.

lol yeah because dem bitches are so dumb and crazy. Jokes are one thing but don't mess with a girls man because then she will go insane!

(It's way overreacting to a joke holy poo poo)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Excels posted:

If people are getting mad at you for showing some basic human kindness then it's time for some internal reflection on how the world perceives you.

Or those people are just jerks.

I hold doors for women because it was ingrained heavily in me to do so as a child and I feel bad if I don't.

It's clear to me how that can be perceived as a bad thing by certain people but a majority of the time it is appreciated so I do it because by not doing it I'd feel kind of bad anyway.

The times people have made comments about it like "I can get my own door thank you" I just said "of course you can" and stepped out of the way. One time only did I get someone who really responded angrily and I just said I was being kind and that they were being rude and just got out of their way. That person sucked though.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

kazil posted:

lol yeah because dem bitches are so dumb and crazy. Jokes are one thing but don't mess with a girls man because then she will go insane!

(It's way overreacting to a joke holy poo poo)

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely overreacting. Also, I said girl, I should have said person. If I saw a colleague of my girlfriend's commenting "gimme some o' that P" I also wouldn't find it funny and man, boundaries. But then again I may just be a prude, I guess.

Also, fuckin' hell, if a guy posted that exact thing on a female colleague's wall it might even be posted as a perfect example of "Idiots on Social Media" in this forum. But in this case, hell no. It's obvious it's a joke. Talk about double standards.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

orange sky posted:

Some probably wouldn't go down so hard on the other girl

"Come down". She's coming down hard on the other girl. Going down on the other girl would cause a whole new set of problems.

Breaky posted:

Or those people are just jerks.

I hold doors for women because it was ingrained heavily in me to do so as a child and I feel bad if I don't.

It's clear to me how that can be perceived as a bad thing by certain people but a majority of the time it is appreciated so I do it because by not doing it I'd feel kind of bad anyway.

The times people have made comments about it like "I can get my own door thank you" I just said "of course you can" and stepped out of the way. One time only did I get someone who really responded angrily and I just said I was being kind and that they were being rude and just got out of their way. That person sucked though.

We should be clear that we're talking about two different things. Holding the door for the person behind you? I don't think any rational person would get upset about that. What the image macro was talking about was "gentlemen" racing ahead of "females" so that they can open the door for them, the implication being that women are weak and can't do it themselves. I'm not sure which you're saying you do, Breaky, but the latter is obnoxious as gently caress and if you're doing it, it's a habit you should break yourself of.

e: it's me, i'm the idiot

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Jun 19, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Besesoth posted:

(Moving ahead to open doors for the elderly or disabled, on the other hand, is perfectly reasonable and should be encouraged.)

Speaking as someone who gets around with a cane, I hate when people do that. I appreciate it, certainly, but it makes me feel bad when people go out of their way for my sake :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Slickdrac posted:

Speaking as someone who gets around with a cane, I hate when people do that. I appreciate it, certainly, but it makes me feel bad when people go out of their way for my sake :(

Sorry :( I just try to make people's lives easier, especially when I've got it better than they do.

• Locked thread