Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Yeah, I realized that I should have closed the bedroom door. I didn't think I'd need to because it was so easy to give her the stuff last night, so I thought she was over being a stupid dick about this. My hubris was my downfall, or maybe I'm just an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I feel like you shouldn't assume anything with a cat.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drythe posted:

I feel like you shouldn't assume anything with a cat.

I'd empty quote this, but it's not GBS.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Fortis posted:

Yeah, I realized that I should have closed the bedroom door. I didn't think I'd need to because it was so easy to give her the stuff last night, so I thought she was over being a stupid dick about this. My hubris was my downfall, or maybe I'm just an idiot.

Don't feel too bad about it. Cats are, after all, assholes. Adorable fluffy assholes.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I know they've been recommended by this thread in the past, so if anyone's looking for a Armarkat cat tree at the moment, there's a selection of six on lightning deal on US Amazon right now (43% off), for the next hour or so.

EDIT: There's another, bigger Armarkat cat condo on lightning deal as well for 36% off for the next 2 hours, as well as several others throughout the day. Seems like today is a good day if you're in the market for a cat tree.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 19, 2014

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I like those armarkat trees, too. They have a soft fuzzy material on the platforms instead of carpet, which I prefer, because the cats don't like to scratch it (and instead go for the scratching post legs) so I don't end up with carpet chunks everywhere and/or Pizza actually eating the carpet fibers because he's an idiot. Plus I think this brand sells replacement parts on their websites.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Huntersoninski posted:

I like those armarkat trees, too. They have a soft fuzzy material on the platforms instead of carpet, which I prefer, because the cats don't like to scratch it (and instead go for the scratching post legs) so I don't end up with carpet chunks everywhere and/or Pizza actually eating the carpet fibers because he's an idiot. Plus I think this brand sells replacement parts on their websites.

There's a bunch of Armarkat stuff on sale on home.woot.com right now.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

duckfarts posted:

There's a bunch of Armarkat stuff on sale on home.woot.com right now.

Amazon owns (or partners with or something) Woot now so I'm pretty sure it's the same deal Amazon has right now that was linked above.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

If all that was done were fecal samples then there are still many more tests that could be done. Colitis has many causes, many of which are treatable, or at least somewhat manageable. Bloodwork, abdominal ultrasound, tissue biopsy, limited ingredient diets, intestinal antibiotics... there's a lot to be done both diagnostically and therapeutically.

I guess it's time to have them examine him again. He has been out there several times since, but the issue seemed moot from how it was described to me. Thank you for the quick response.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Consider a new vet.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012
So recently one of my friends found a litter of stray kittens living under his house. Unfortunately, he also found the mother dead across the street. Now he and I are trying to take care of the litter. We're giving them food and water, and trying to socialize them for eventual adoption. If any of you have any advice on the best way to try to socialize stray kittens, I'd greatly appreciate it.

There are four kittens in the litter. Three of them are still pretty skittish, but one has warmed up surprisingly well and has let me touch and pet him. All of the kittens are pretty skinny and have eye infections (I've noticed streaming from the tear ducts and irritated eyelids), but otherwise there are no overt health problems. We're giving the kittens food twice daily, wet kitten chow mixed up with some extra water.

I'd like to try to get hold of the kittens and get them to a vet to be looked at as soon as possible. Plus I think that getting them inside and around people more would help with socialization. I could certainly scoop up the bolder kitten, but I worry how that might influence the rest of the litter to be even more skittish and cautious around humans (although I won't rule it out if he starts to look really bad health-wise). I also know that I probably shouldn't take him to the vet and then return him because the other kittens probably wouldn't recognize him due to all the vet smell he'd be covered with.

Any advice from Goons who have had experience in this kind of situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
How old are they? You might want to get some kitten replacement milk (I think they sell it at WalMart even). Can he crawl to where they are while someone blocks the entrance and/or lies in wait with a basket/box to catch them in if they try to escape? can you dangle some food/a toy at the entrance and lure them out? That worked for me when I was a kid catching farm kittens at a friend's barn.

If he can grab them by the scruff of their neck he can pretty much (gently) drag them out okay. But I'd try to get them ASAP before they're too sick (eye infection might spread, or be a symptom of a URI) or too old and quick.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

How old are they? You might want to get some kitten replacement milk (I think they sell it at WalMart even). Can he crawl to where they are while someone blocks the entrance and/or lies in wait with a basket/box to catch them in if they try to escape? can you dangle some food/a toy at the entrance and lure them out? That worked for me when I was a kid catching farm kittens at a friend's barn.

If he can grab them by the scruff of their neck he can pretty much (gently) drag them out okay. But I'd try to get them ASAP before they're too sick (eye infection might spread, or be a symptom of a URI) or too old and quick.

I'm not sure how old they are, I've gotten estimates from other friends ranging from 1~3 months. They're still small enough that you can easily pluck them up with one hand around the body. They've gotten teeth and are eating with gusto so I'm pretty sure they were weaned before the mother met her untimely end.

The kittens will all usually come out once we set down the food. I could try to put it further away from their hidey hole so that we could block that off and try to round them up.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
could you pull the old "here's this plate of food underneath a box propped up by a stick with string on it"?

I have had that work one time.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You can also try and get in touch with a local cat rescue, I had two strays living in the woods behind my job earlier this year and I contacted one and they lent me a humane trap to use. They also took the kitties in, got them fixed and given their shots and they were adopted as a pair a few months ago. Subsequently I've been helping these people weekly to take care of the various cats they house until they can be adopted, which is fun as I get to interact with a lot of different adult cats and kittens all of the time.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Ochowie posted:

So I just got a kitten. I was going to adopt but I randomly came into contact with some Cornish Rexes and I knew it was a match. I brought him home on Friday and it was a stressful day as he had a tough journey was pretty scared. He's doing better now and sleeping with me and he's a purr machine. Seriously, he just runs over to me now and purrs nonstop. Here is a picture of the little jerk.

That is a bat.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

When should I worry about a cat's third eyelids showing? I'm catsitting, and one of the cats' eyes are a little goopy and since this morning the eyelid was showing a bit in both eyes. He seems pretty fine otherwise (eating, drinking, meowing, getting mad when I try to wipe his eyes), and I wouldn't want to worry his owner if this is nothing or if it'll probably clear up just fine.

Reposting this because I'm (possibly irrationally) worried about it. It seems like his eyes are less runny, but I can still see some of the nictating membrane and I want to play it safe (but also not freak out the owner if I don't have to).

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012
I will definitely give both of those trap suggestions a try! Thank you for the input!

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Fortis posted:

Holy poo poo, I am so angry at my rear end in a top hat cat right now.
Stella waged a war of attrition this morning about taking her medicine (Buprenorphine) and loving won. I can't do anything about it. I need to go to work to afford things for her like this loving medicine. She literally ran out the clock.

I know it's "just" pain medicine, and she didn't even have surgery, but I feel like I've completely failed her. I don't have any help with her most days of the week, and if she gets under the bed in the morning, unless I can trick her out in time... welp.

:argh:

I've had some luck with Greenies Pill Pockets for Cats and Oh! No! Hairball (Friskies Cat Treats Tender Hairball Remedy with Chicken,) treats which are big enough to conceal pills.I have to pill 2 cats every day so I'm always looking for new methods. Sometimes, I just have to grab them, insert pill gun, fire.

Buprenorphine is mainly used (in the US) for treatment of opiate addiction. Why is your cat getting this? I'm not saying your Vet is wrong but...WTF comes to mind.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

specklebang posted:

I've had some luck with Greenies Pill Pockets for Cats and Oh! No! Hairball (Friskies Cat Treats Tender Hairball Remedy with Chicken,) treats which are big enough to conceal pills.I have to pill 2 cats every day so I'm always looking for new methods. Sometimes, I just have to grab them, insert pill gun, fire.

Buprenorphine is mainly used (in the US) for treatment of opiate addiction. Why is your cat getting this? I'm not saying your Vet is wrong but...WTF comes to mind.

Yeah I thought it was weird too, but a cursory google reveals that it is one of the only effective painkiller for cats, and can be absorbed through the gums, which is "convenient," assuming the cat isn't into your poo poo and won't let you shove a syringe in her face. She's got a case of urinary tract inflammation without a really discernible cause (urinalysis showed everything's fine except evidence of the inflammation). The buprenorphine was meant to help her pee without pain, but today the vet told me that if she was resisting a lot I could hold off on the last 2 doses to keep on hand if needed. Right now it doesn't look like it's an infection, but if I had needed to give her antibiotics, I was going to give greenies pill pockets a shot.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

specklebang posted:

Buprenorphine is popular in vet med because it makes cats super happy. They don't respond to traditional mu opioids as well as dogs and humans.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Pill pockets are great. My cat takes fluoxetine daily and I can pry his mouth open and pop a pill in, but I decided to try pill pockets anyway because sometimes he resists. He's not much of a treat lover despite being a fatty so I didn't think he'd care, but he will happily eat his pill pockets. Sometimes he will eat only the treat and I'll find the pill on the floor, but I've grown accustomed to watching him to ensure he actually gets the pill down.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Fortis posted:

She's got a case of urinary tract inflammation without a really discernible cause (urinalysis showed everything's fine except evidence of the inflammation).

I give both of my cats Cosequin every day for both joint issues and bladder health. My vet said that Cosequin coats the inside of the bladder and can prevent stress inflammation. They carry it at most pet stores like petsmart.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Thanks to whoever linked the home.woot sale on cat trees. I ordered the cheapest one since the two kittens have claimed my older cat's current tree as their own. Maybe they'll all share now?

Haha of course they won't. Who am I kidding?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Our 16 year-old cat needs half a tablet every morning and evening for her hyperthyroidism and we just put it inside a tiny dollop of cream cheese. As a result tablet time is her absolute favourite time of day and she gets cranky if we delay it. The weird thing is she's an incredibly bright and usually uncooperative creature so we absolutely expected her to just lick the cheese off and leave the tablet. We just thought we'd try it just in case and nearly two years later she's only left the tablet behind a handful of times. So I'm not saying it'll work for everyone but if you're looking for tablet-giving solutions it's worth a try.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I have discovered that Oscar-catte seems to have a bit of a delicate stomach. It seems linked to whether the food has come straight out of the fridge or not. Does this sound plausible, or is there possibly another problem?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

CompactFanny posted:

I give both of my cats Cosequin every day for both joint issues and bladder health. My vet said that Cosequin coats the inside of the bladder and can prevent stress inflammation. They carry it at most pet stores like petsmart.

The vet recommended something that sounded a lot like this but didn't actually give me the name of it, so thank you for that. :) I'm going to pick some up on my way home and sprinkle it over her food from now on.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Reposting this because I'm (possibly irrationally) worried about it. It seems like his eyes are less runny, but I can still see some of the nictating membrane and I want to play it safe (but also not freak out the owner if I don't have to).

I'll chip in what little I have to contribute since everyone else is ignoring you. I wouldn't worry about that unless there are other worrisome symptoms (not eating, defecating/urinating, hiding) or it's severe. I had this some time back with one of mine and the vet said that it's just a little cat cold and to let it run its course. Sure enough, it did. Runny eyes are a bit like runny noses among humans - a common symptom of minor illnesses. Never hurts to go to the vet, but I wouldn't panic just yet.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Thanks; that's kind of what I figured, but I was worrying a bit because I know the cat is FIV+, so I'll still keep an eye on him. He's certainly fine behavior and pooping-wise though, so I guess I can relax a bit :)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We have an elderly cat who's likely got bowel cancer. Recently, the vet changed his dry food a little from one variety of Royal Canin to one with fiber. This seems to have helped his bowel function, as his stools are now enormous. However, he frequently (about once or twice a week) doesn't quite finish, and walks away from the litter box with a dingleberry. This is of course not good for us, since it ends up who-knows-where. Is there anything we can do to encourage him to wait in the box a little longer?

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I've had my eight-month-old cat for just over a week now, and I'm worried she isn't eating enough.

At the moment, I feed her an 85g packet of wet kitten food mixed with 1/3 cup of dry indoor cat food each day, and most days, she won't even finish that and leaves a third to a half of it. I also feed her 2 chicken necks every other day, and I train her with small chunks of tuna.

Factors that might affect her appetite (from what I can think of) are:
- excitement/stress of a new household
- strictly indoor cat
- very cold weather, as it's winter in Australia (?)

For the record, she'll usually eat if I put the bowl directly in front of her, so it isn't that she's refusing the food nor do I think it's a health/medical issue. I suppose she isn't a full-blown kitten, but I just assumed she'd be eating a lot more and by her own accord. Does this sound normal? Or should I just keep coaxing her to eat?

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 26, 2014

Skwid
Aug 20, 2011

I got tired of being a loser so I spent money to not be a loser anymore.
I think something is wrong with my little buddy Dexter, we're taking him in this morning to the vet but I was curious what your guys take on it might be.

Dexter's about 7 months old, has a diet of dry Wellness Core and is usually pretty talkitive and playful, but about a week ago he started eating less. We thought he might be bored of the dry food so we picked up a few cans of wet stuff and mixed some dry food in and he's been eating that for the most part pretty well. We took him in for neutering and shots on Saturday and he ate vicariously that afternoon, but since then he's eaten less and less and he's been very lethargic, he drinks water still but only a little and today he vomited a pretty big hairball and lots of what I assume is bile. I'm at work now but my girlfriend just said that he puked bile again, no furball this time.

We're really worried, any thoughts? We're taking him in as soon as I'm off work here in about 7 hours.

E: forgot to mention the incision site seems fine, there's no swelling, he's been licking a lot but the vet said that's normal. I don't think this is a complication of the surgery though.

Skwid fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 26, 2014

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

bubblelubble posted:

I've had my eight-month-old cat for just over a week now, and I'm worried she isn't eating enough.

At the moment, I feed her an 85g packet of wet kitten food mixed with 1/3 cup of dry indoor cat food each day, and most days, she won't even finish that and leaves a third to a half of it. I also feed her 2 chicken necks every other day, and I train her with small chunks of tuna.

Factors that might affect her appetite (from what I can think of) are:
- excitement/stress of a new household
- strictly indoor cat
- very cold weather, as it's winter in Australia (?)

For the record, she'll usually eat if I put the bowl directly in front of her, so it isn't that she's refusing the food nor do I think it's a health/medical issue. I suppose she isn't a full-blown kitten, but I just assumed she'd be eating a lot more and by her own accord. Does this sound normal? Or should I just keep coaxing her to eat?

Are you feeding her the same food that she was eating wherever she was living earlier? If there's a change, it could just be she's fussy as hell and doesn't like the taste. My cat spitefully starved himself until I could find a brand of food he would eat, after I refused to keep feeding him the poo poo food he had been fed as a kitten.

Also gross story time:
I finally took my a-hole foster kittens back to the shelter. One spent the entire car trip screaming like a siren, and then JUST as we were pulling up at the shelter, one took a dump while another succumbed to motion sickness and spewed wet food all down the back of the cage, which was on my husband's lap at the time. My husband does not handle Gross Things well and begged me to park carefully as to not bump the kittens around, but unfortunately as I pulled over all 4 kittens slid into the mess (cue about a minute of hysterical laughter from me while he went into horror-induced paralysis). We finally deposited 4 puke-soaked kittens inside the shelter, cleaned them up, dismantled the cage to clean THAT up, then talked to the shelter lady briefly before leaving. Unfortunately I hadn't reattached the cage door, and we discovered upon reaching the car that one of the shelter residents had raced in to do a rapid-fire spray inside the box before loving off at light speed. This sums up one of the most simultaneously funny and disgusting days of my life.

The good news is that there was an all out war on Facebook over who wanted the cute little bastards, and all of them seem to have found homes within less than a week.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Have found a way to slow down Oscar's eating. I got a cheap muffin tray, and have started putting his food in the pots of the tray.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Evil Vin posted:

My girlfriend and I took in two strays last night. We've been seeing them a bunch and they're pretty friendly so we thought we should take them in. Anyway now that they're in apartment they're totally freaked out and hiding under our bed. I think they've been there for close to 16 hours. We've left food on the other side of the room and they didn't touch it even when we were sleeping. So I put out some wet food now and changed the water in hopes of coaxing them out. I know they need to get used to their new home but I'm afraid of them starving. We're about to buy them some Feliway to see if it will chill them out some.

Pics of cats.

So we've had these guys about a month now the black and white one is totally cool with us sleeps in the bed and everything. The other is still kind of scared he generally lives under the bed unless he decided to come get pet by me.

The thing is every other day he's been having accidents outside the litterbox. We figured he was mistaking clutter on the floor for the box since he'd bury it in the stuff (like the blanket we gave him). So we made sure to not leave anything on floor anymore but things are getting rough. He's started hopping on our bed and using it as a bathroom. The first time it seemed like a mistake since he seemed surprised by his peeing. Tonight though he both pooped and peed on the bed. I don't know what to do really were going to get him a second litterbox but he already uses first and currently it's clean there's no reason not to use it.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Evil Vin posted:

So we've had these guys about a month now the black and white one is totally cool with us sleeps in the bed and everything. The other is still kind of scared he generally lives under the bed unless he decided to come get pet by me.

The thing is every other day he's been having accidents outside the litterbox. We figured he was mistaking clutter on the floor for the box since he'd bury it in the stuff (like the blanket we gave him). So we made sure to not leave anything on floor anymore but things are getting rough. He's started hopping on our bed and using it as a bathroom. The first time it seemed like a mistake since he seemed surprised by his peeing. Tonight though he both pooped and peed on the bed. I don't know what to do really were going to get him a second litterbox but he already uses first and currently it's clean there's no reason not to use it.

Have you tired, taking his poo poo and putting it in the litter box, then putting the cat in the box with the poo poo. Works like a charm.

I'm currently looking after a lil bastard I found outside, covered in bugs and all sorts of ughs, so after quarantine and de flea/ticking, we put him in the spare room, he shat on the bed in there because of course he did.

Clean sheets, put poop in litter box, no accidents there after. Voila! A house trained stray kitty in less that 24 hours

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Have you tired, taking his poo poo and putting it in the litter box, then putting the cat in the box with the poo poo. Works like a charm.

I'm currently looking after a lil bastard I found outside, covered in bugs and all sorts of ughs, so after quarantine and de flea/ticking, we put him in the spare room, he shat on the bed in there because of course he did.

Clean sheets, put poop in litter box, no accidents there after. Voila! A house trained stray kitty in less that 24 hours

I didn't think to throw his crap in the box since he usually goes in the box. I'll do that Saturday when he probably does something like this again. He's got a vet appointment Tuesday for some booster shots so I'll ask about it while I'm there. I figure he's still stressed from moving into the house but I really don't know what else to do for him other than pet him when he let's me and feed him. I can't really play with him with any toys because he gets scared of quick movements. I really want to like this cat (and I do most of the time) and I feel for him because he seems so helpless and dumb. We also found out he has FIV and I really don't think he find another home because of that.

Edit (Saturday morning): Just came home to some more poo poo on the bed. Threw it in the litterbox then I put him in there which he didn't seem to enjoy and has gone into hiding. Let's see if this stops it.

Evil Vin fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 28, 2014

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Uh oh, we have an injured kitty, and surprise, its the weekend and the vet is closed! What happened: I flipped a page of a book loudly and it spooked one cat, Penny, which in turn spooked the other cat, Hobbes, and Hobbes flipped out from the top of his cat tree and managed to injure one of his back claws enough that it is bleeding.

We just found his claw just now while I was typing this too, it is completely intact, so it looks like it was ripped 100% off his toe.

None of our kitties has ever been injured or bled before, so we're not sure if this is something he'll just shake off, or if we need to go to the e-vet and get some x-rays or something.

The most disheartening part of this whole thing is that Penny is brand new to the household, it's her third day here, and they were making major progress toward tolerating each other. After the spook and injury, Hobbes started majorly hissing at Penny's room just when we were passing to take him to his room to get his stress level down.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Nope. All kitten despite the ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Droid Washington posted:

Uh oh, we have an injured kitty, and surprise, its the weekend and the vet is closed! What happened: I flipped a page of a book loudly and it spooked one cat, Penny, which in turn spooked the other cat, Hobbes, and Hobbes flipped out from the top of his cat tree and managed to injure one of his back claws enough that it is bleeding.

We just found his claw just now while I was typing this too, it is completely intact, so it looks like it was ripped 100% off his toe.

None of our kitties has ever been injured or bled before, so we're not sure if this is something he'll just shake off, or if we need to go to the e-vet and get some x-rays or something.

The most disheartening part of this whole thing is that Penny is brand new to the household, it's her third day here, and they were making major progress toward tolerating each other. After the spook and injury, Hobbes started majorly hissing at Penny's room just when we were passing to take him to his room to get his stress level down.

That is probably going to need stitches, I'd go to an evet.