Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

6675636b20796f75 posted:

Talk about virtualization and then get even basic virt certs. The Navy is big on that right now.

Do you have your security+ cert?

Do you happen to be in on those new Quantico contracts? I'm looking for somewhere closer to home (Stafford)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Any ScrumMasters here? I've heard that the required coursework can be spotty depending on the instructor. Will reading Essential Scrum cover everything I need to be agile as gently caress?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm testing for CCNA Security which is DOD-8570-approved next week.

I was pretty perplexed about this when I got a letter saying as such. Welp, guess I've got some sort of security clearance now, I feel like a secret agent :coal:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fatal posted:

I was pretty perplexed about this when I got a letter saying as such. Welp, guess I've got some sort of security clearance now, I feel like a secret agent :coal:

Not a clearance, just a prerequisite. Sec+ is approved as well.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So if I want to go down the virt path should I just go straight for the VCP or ...? What should I begin doing? I'm going to start reading the mastering vsphere book soon, after I do my CCNA.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

orange sky posted:

So if I want to go down the virt path should I just go straight for the VCP or ...? What should I begin doing? I'm going to start reading the mastering vsphere book soon, after I do my CCNA.

Yes, vcp is where you would want to start. There are easier certs for vmware (I think) but they are not going to be worth anything.

Funny, I assumed this thread didn't exist anymore.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

orange sky posted:

Just be ready to shell out $4k for the required class, and that doesn't cover the exam. On top of that even VMware says the class doesn't touch the scope of the exam, you'll need to do a lot on your own.

I'm on a similar path to you at the moment, CCENT around the end of this month, then either CCNA R&S or Data Center- I want to do the DC as it's the end goal of where I want to end up, however the R&S is a solid foundation if I don't end up touching the Nexus IOS. So I'm not sure.

Either way I hope to have the full CCNA within the next couple months, and only then focus on Virtualization. I'll have to brush up on Linux to apparently get some things done on the Luns... or something.

Anyway, for virt VCP is the way to go.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

OhDearGodNo posted:

Just be ready to shell out $4k for the required class, and that doesn't cover the exam. On top of that even VMware says the class doesn't touch the scope of the exam, you'll need to do a lot on your own.

Or take the Stanly CC course. Probably like a 3 month waiting list currently, but if you are paying for it yourself, well worth it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm on a similar path to you at the moment, CCENT around the end of this month, then either CCNA R&S or Data Center- I want to do the DC as it's the end goal of where I want to end up, however the R&S is a solid foundation if I don't end up touching the Nexus IOS. So I'm not sure.

Either way I hope to have the full CCNA within the next couple months, and only then focus on Virtualization. I'll have to brush up on Linux to apparently get some things done on the Luns... or something.

I just passed the VCP-550 and the CCNA DC exams within the past few months, if you have any questions.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

Jesus, I had no idea it was that expensive. I don't really think that's a smart move, limiting people's ability to work with your technology. VMware is still thriving, though, so I might be wrong. I'm always hosed anyway since I'm in Portugal and there are no real classes, only online labs. Guess I'll have to talk to my company, I've only been here for 3 months and I wanted to go the virt way but I don't know if they're gonna go along with it (let's hope so). I'll just focus on my CCNA then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I suppose their reasoning is that it makes their certifications that much more valuable. If they're difficult to get, then qualified VMWare candidates are more valuable, which should cause more interest in people wanting to pay for certification classes, I suppose?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I suppose their reasoning is that it makes their certifications that much more valuable. If they're difficult to get, then qualified VMWare candidates are more valuable, which should cause more interest in people wanting to pay for certification classes, I suppose?

Yeah I can understand that reasoning, but for a live class online it's $6k each person? Goddamn, that's abusive.

E: Especially for people outside the US. With a minimum wage of 485€ here in Portugal it's not really.. Fair.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

orange sky posted:

Jesus, I had no idea it was that expensive. I don't really think that's a smart move, limiting people's ability to work with your technology. VMware is still thriving, though, so I might be wrong. I'm always hosed anyway since I'm in Portugal and there are no real classes, only online labs. Guess I'll have to talk to my company, I've only been here for 3 months and I wanted to go the virt way but I don't know if they're gonna go along with it (let's hope so). I'll just focus on my CCNA then.

Making people take a course is about the only way to keep some certs more valuable. Vendors also have prerogative to make sure that you are training under there official coursework and not a cookie cutter study guide. They however got a little greedy with the pricing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The pricing is borderline extortionate, but the expectation is probably that you will be working in the virtualization field already if you take the exam and so your company is likely to cover the cost of training. They don't really want people taking the exam without prior experience so it's another way of limiting cert collectors who just brain dump material that they have almost no experience with, and then promptly forget everything they learned.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Quick question about the A+ cert; am I understanding it correctly that, on top of renewing my certification, I have to pay yearly dues to CompTIA as well to keep it valid? Seems like dropping $300 every few years on the test would be enough..

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GobiasIndustries posted:

Quick question about the A+ cert; am I understanding it correctly that, on top of renewing my certification, I have to pay yearly dues to CompTIA as well to keep it valid? Seems like dropping $300 every few years on the test would be enough..

I saw a job posting the other day that asked for an A+ certification and specifically noted that it's okay if your cert is lapsed or expired.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Moey posted:

Or take the Stanly CC course. Probably like a 3 month waiting list currently, but if you are paying for it yourself, well worth it.

I've been on the list twice, from August until December, then I re-registered in February and am still on it.

I was finally able to convince my company to fund it thankfully.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 19, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

NippleFloss posted:

I just passed the VCP-550 and the CCNA DC exams within the past few months, if you have any questions.

So far they provide 30 days of remote lab stuff, what else can I use other than the trial version?

Also not sure which book is best for 5.5

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

GobiasIndustries posted:

No, I'm about 95% sure that that's not correct. They have some stupid Continuing Education program that can do to renew your cert in place of taking the test (I don't really know anything about it), but you can also retake your certification exam, or take a higher-level one (Network+, Security+, etc.) to renew lower-level ones.

http://certification.comptia.org/stayCertified.aspx

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The only reason I'm paying to keep my Security+ active is because someone at CompTIA apparently bribed the government into thinking their certifications are the best loving thing since sliced bread.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't even know what a Sec+ is, can you give me some sense of what it actually covers? SSH is good?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's kind of a broad introduction to the field of information assurance. It covers broad concepts like the CIA triad, some governance stuff, and then actually moves into poo poo like cryptographic algorithms, encryption suites, authentication protocols, different kinds of vulnerabilities and attacks, and DR operations. It's significantly more in-depth (and useful) than the A+ or N+, and is actually a fairly good primer for the CISSP, but it's treated as sort of a holy-grail by the federal government (with the CISSP basically turning you into some kind of security god, in their eyes) and they effectively require anyone who is within spitting distance of network infrastructure to have one.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Just wanted to drop this here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644444 (selling A+ exam vouchers)

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

GobiasIndustries posted:

CompTIA's Continuing Education program costs you $59 a year and is required to keep your cert active. In addition you need to have 60 CE hours every 3 years to renew your cert. If you fail to pay the fee or you fail to get the requisite number of hours then your cert expires and you are required to retake the exam.

orange sky posted:

It's a money grab, plain and simple. The class in no way prepares you for the exam, and is in fact just a bunch of slides in PowerPoint with the instructor reading them back to you. Stanly CC at least only cost $185, but it took a few weeks to get the entire material versus 5 days with the Boot Camps.

If you're on a tight deadline with money burning a hole in your pocket then go the Boot Camp route; if not, sign up on the Stanly CC waitlist and spend the money you saved on a kick-rear end lab environment.

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 19, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Daylen Drazzi posted:

CompTIA's Continuing Education program costs you $59 a year and is required to keep your cert active. In addition you need to have 60 CE hours every 3 years to renew your cert. If you fail to pay the fee or you fail to get the requisite number of hours then your cert expires and you are required to retake the exam.

My Sec+ expires in November and I was just trying to figure out what to do.

Looks like I can take the Storage+ and it will renew it. Now to just get work to pay because that cert certainly isn't worth $300.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

It's a money grab, plain and simple. The class in no way prepares you for the exam, and is in fact just a bunch of slides in PowerPoint with the instructor reading them back to you. Stanly CC at least only cost $185, but it took a few weeks to get the entire material versus 5 days with the Boot Camps.

If you're on a tight deadline with money burning a hole in your pocket then go the Boot Camp route; if not, sign up on the Stanly CC waitlist and spend the money you saved on a kick-rear end lab environment.

I talked to my boss today and it turns out we get big discounts for being partners on the VCP, ending up at around 1k € for the classes. I'll probably be able to convince him to allow me to take them.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Moey posted:

My Sec+ expires in November and I was just trying to figure out what to do.

Looks like I can take the Storage+ and it will renew it. Now to just get work to pay because that cert certainly isn't worth $300.

I'm only posting this off the top of my head, but I think you get a couple CE hours just for working - your company just has to put something on official letterhead. I'll take a look at what mine says when I go into work and report back. You can actually completely fulfill all CE requirements online by watching some videos - I've got the link for people who can access the DoD network, and I'll get that as well. There's a ton of crap that was sent to me that I never paid attention to because I got my Sec+ CE cert back in June of last year, so I've still got 2 years to go until I need to renew mine.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm only posting this off the top of my head, but I think you get a couple CE hours just for working - your company just has to put something on official letterhead. I'll take a look at what mine says when I go into work and report back. You can actually completely fulfill all CE requirements online by watching some videos - I've got the link for people who can access the DoD network, and I'll get that as well. There's a ton of crap that was sent to me that I never paid attention to because I got my Sec+ CE cert back in June of last year, so I've still got 2 years to go until I need to renew mine.

I have been looking over the information for the last week or so. If I don't have to foot the bill, the quickest way would be to knock out the Storage+. I have no looked at the material at all, but wouldn't expect it to be difficult.

Edit:

Maybe I'll take a stab at it with this book. http://www.amazon.com/Data-Storage-Networking-CompTIA-Certification/dp/1118679210/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 19, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
For some reason Storage+ sounds depressing to study for. I think it's because once I get my Security+ I consider myself done with CompTIA forever, outside of renewing Security+ when necessary.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

So far they provide 30 days of remote lab stuff, what else can I use other than the trial version?

Caldwell Community College does it for $1500 but probably has the same timeline as Stanly. It's less of a hit to the wallet if it's out-of-pocket, but my advice: get on the Stanly waiting list and study up the Sybex VCP book - http://www.amazon.com/VCP5-DCV-Cert...words=Sybex+vcp

It's updated to VCP5.5 but I think the content is still the same stuff for 5.0/5.5.

Study up with the book. You'll re-do the same stuff in the course, but if you take the exam while waiting for the course, you just have a few hoops to jump through with the course and boom, there's your cert.

Or just study up with the book - take the test when you're ready. But I can't stress enough how correct Daylen Drazzi is about the course. It's a slideshow, pre-recorded, released a module at a time by a curmudgeonly Southerner who hates being helpful and communicative.

You can probably build a basic lab using Virtualbox. Spin up two ESXi boxes and a Windows machine, instant lab. It'll be quicker to get into than Stanly's at any rate.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

For some reason Storage+ sounds depressing to study for. I think it's because once I get my Security+ I consider myself done with CompTIA forever, outside of renewing Security+ when necessary.

Same here, but I figure might as well knock out something else to renew it vs taking it again. Also seems better than paying comptia and doing additional crap just to renew.

They have non-comptia certs that can renew them, but I didn't see anything for Sec+ that I am currently in the market in to take.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I considered my Sec+ a warm-up for CISSP, figuring by the time it expired I'd have already passed the next step up and could safely let it expire. Of course I'm lazy and haven't yet scheduled my CISSP 2 years later so I'll see how my motivation versus plan of action plays out.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

OhDearGodNo posted:

Thirty days should be enough if you have free rein in the labs to do whatever you want. Otherwise you'll want to set up a home lab. You'll only get 60 days of use without a license, but that should be plenty to pass the test. A nested ESXi lab with VCSA and a couple of ESXi hosts would be sufficient, and you could probably fit it on 8GB of RAM if you didn't mind it being kind of slow.

As far as what to study, I used this: http://www.amazon.com/VCP5-DCV-Certified-Professional-Data-Virtualization-vSphere/dp/1118658442

I hate the way it's written but it covers enough of the material to pass. I still saw some stuff on the test that wasn't covered in the book, but it wasn't nearly enough to cause me to fail. If you do all of the labs and can pass the practice exams from the book with around 90% success you should be able to pass the test. The one subject area that got me on the exam was Operations Manager, which they focus on more than I expected going in.

Blind Marvin
Feb 13, 2012

psydude posted:

US military/DoD people: How does the Sec+ CE poo poo work? Do we just take a bunch of those online courses about not plugging thumb drives into computers and not answering phishing emails, pay the $80, and then call it a day?

This is from a few pages back, but am I right in assuming these videos you speak of are only available to people currently working in the DOD? Otherwise that sounds a lot cheaper than taking the Security+ exam again for ~$260 with a voucher just to keep my certification from expiring.

EdsTeioh posted:

Good to know. I scored mid 60's (out of 100) on my practice test, so I'm feeling pretty good about the test in general. I just want something to reinforce what I already know and correct some bad thinking/habits. And the Net+ is an awesome deal, too. Thanks for the info. Which one did you go to?

Tucson, and I may be going back soon for the MCSA or some other entry level cert.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Just finished my OSCE exam. 30 hours straight of wondering if my brains are going to leak out my ears. I'm about to pass out, but I can easily say this was the HARDEST test I have ever taken in my life.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

ICND1 scheduled in two weeks. I have one more chapter to go through in Lammle's book (IPv6) then I'll review everything over. Namely NAT (I get how it works, but Cisco's terms confuse the hell out of me and seem redundant - Inside Local/Outside Local/Inside Global/Outside Global). Gotta wrap my head around that and make sure I can subnet on the fly :ohdear:

Been using just Lammle's book and Cisco Packet Tracer religiously every day for the past few weeks to nail everything down.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Got the email, officially Offsec OSCE certified. Man, my brain hurts. It was definitely worth it, but it took a lot out of me. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

XakEp posted:

Got the email, officially Offsec OSCE certified. Man, my brain hurts. It was definitely worth it, but it took a lot out of me. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Does anyone know how the OSCP/OSCE compares to the GSE? Both in terms of difficulty and blueprint.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

My goal is to get a job with the local university, and I have zero work experience in IT. "Entry level" jobs are scarce here, I expect the competition for them is fierce, and most postings clearly want someone who can wear many hats. I've been applying when I can but haven't had any nibbles yet. I have a CCNA, have worked with some programming languages over the years, worked with linux, but have no major projects to say "look I did this!" besides a couple websites and an overwrought home server.

So I was planning to spend this Summer/Fall getting A+ certification to up my chances of landing an interview, but now looking at the objectives I already know the vast majority of this stuff. I'm not enthused about the content at all. Am I right in thinking I might be better served working on an MCSA (Server 2012)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I personally would not get an A+ if you already have a CCNA. What kinds of jobs are you looking for?