Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

prefect posted:

I did create a character last night to see what it was like in Dragon. Ran through a bunch of Kingsmouth quests. Are they always so boring? I've probably been spoiled by taking orders from Kirsten, but the Dragon handler acts like an accountant.

Dragon spoilers incoming
Your handler eventually gets chummy with you and accidentally lets slip some back-end info. They are subsequently... replaced.

Kirsten still remains the best handler, and Illuminati the best handler text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Scags posted:

Nevermind then! I'll just stick with it.

Edit 2: Relax brain in a jar. I won't do it. It's okay. I got your advice before anything drastic happened.

Caveat to this, actually.

Make sure you're only spending points in one line of the weapon skill. You only need one of the two lines to dictate the weapon QL you can use, the other does nothing but give you the line bonus.

Negaspoiler: The DPS line is 100% always a better choice while levelling and the support line won't matter at all until you're at cap and swimming in SP.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Brain In A Jar posted:

Caveat to this, actually.

Make sure you're only spending points in one line of the weapon skill. You only need one of the two lines to dictate the weapon QL you can use, the other does nothing but give you the line bonus.

Negaspoiler: The DPS line is 100% always a better choice while levelling and the support line won't matter at all until you're at cap and swimming in SP.

Okay so here is my plan: Don't reroll, do continue to use elementalism, and start training AR skills so I can heal my partner.

Thanks for all the advice.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
Yeah, for healing AR/Blood/Fists are the big 3.

AR deals damage then heals for a percent based on how much damage was dealt. When people say 'Leech healing' they're referring to this.

Blood heals directly and adds a barrier on top of that. Barriers don't stack and can apply a few different effects depending on the ability used.

Fists are also direct heals but also apply a heal over time effect. HoTs do stack if they come from different abilities.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Unlike the other two factions, for the majority of missions the person writing the Dragon mission complete text is NOT the mission liaison, Bong Cha. My understanding is that it's just one of many, many handlers intended to be indiscernible from one another. Like, it's generally the same person talking to you, but there are plenty of other handlers just like him talking to other Dragon agents. So yeah, he/she doesn't have much personality at first, but it's by design. As you progress, the handler warms up to you and starts to let slip all sorts of interesting info and towards he end of the game, that handler gets disconnected from you. I think for feeding you way too much information/getting too friendly with you. There might be more to it, but I can't remember. From that point on, you're often talking to either another faceless, emotionless handler, or Bong Cha. Both are comparatively lame. :(

So yeah, it sounds bad, but I really like the Dragon handler because they share a lot of unique lore and story tidbits if you're willing to read between the lines. I wish I had taken more screenshots of mission complete texts to give as examples. The only one I have is from a Tokyo mission and it's actually from that crazy Yakuza boss guy:

So yeah, if you enjoy paying attention to details and figuring out allusions to other TSW lore, Dragon is pretty cool. I mean, the disconnected handler is a mini story in itself. Otherwise, Illuminati is BY FAR the most entertaining.

[edit]

Did NOT see the new page. Oops.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 19, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Unlike the other two factions, for the majority of missions the person writing the Dragon mission complete text is NOT the mission liaison, Bong Cha. My understanding is that it's just one of many, many handlers intended to be indiscernible from one another. Like, it's generally the same person talking to you, but there are plenty of other handlers just like him talking to other Dragon agents. So yeah, he/she doesn't have much personality, but it's by design. Later on in the game, that handler gets disconnected from you, though I can't remember exactly why. I think for feeding you way too much information/getting too friendly with you? There might be more to it. From that point on, you're often talking to either another faceless, emotionless handler, or Bong Cha, who are comparatively lame.

So yeah, it sounds bad, but I really like the Dragon handler because they share a lot of unique lore and story tidbits if you're willing to read between the lines. I wish I had taken more screenshots of mission complete texts to give an example. The only one I have is from a Tokyo mission and it's actually from that crazy Yakuza boss guy:

So yeah, if you enjoy paying attention to details and figuring out allusions to other TSW lore, Dragon is pretty cool. I mean, the disconnected handler is a mini story in itself. Otherwise, Illuminati is BY FAR the most entertaining.

[edit]

Did NOT see the new page. Oops.

I think Hugh once said he data mined all the turn in text. If I'm remembering right the plan was to post it on the wiki Cheston was making.

But then that became a Goon Project.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Unlike the other two factions, for the majority of missions the person writing the Dragon mission complete text is NOT the mission liaison, Bong Cha. My understanding is that it's just one of many, many handlers intended to be indiscernible from one another. Like, it's generally the same person talking to you, but there are plenty of other handlers just like him talking to other Dragon agents...

That's much more interesting than the impression I'd gotten so far. Thanks. :tipshat:

(I don't know that I'd be able to play far enough into the game on a new character to see the interesting stuff develop, but I like knowing what might have been.)

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So, the mission for the Quantum Brace was slightly hard. The Rocket Launcher one was easier but a bit of a slog of carefully managing what gets agroed and what doesn't and got really easy at the end. If I can finish them should the chainsaw mission be doable or should I wait till it isn't devastating?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

xanthan posted:

So, the mission for the Quantum Brace was slightly hard. The Rocket Launcher one was easier but a bit of a slog of carefully managing what gets agroed and what doesn't and got really easy at the end. If I can finish them should the chainsaw mission be doable or should I wait till it isn't devastating?

For me, the rocket launcher mission was brutal, and I died enough to break all my equipment (almost twice) -- the quantum brace felt like a breeze by comparison. Based on my own possibly-wildly-at-odds-with-reality impression, the chainsaw mission was funny (and gross) and definitely on the easier side of the scale.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

I did create a character last night to see what it was like in Dragon. Ran through a bunch of Kingsmouth quests. Are they always so boring? I've probably been spoiled by taking orders from Kirsten, but the Dragon handler acts like an accountant.

They're just too "deep" for you ~maaan.

I don't like how they're trying to be all "we're in control of chaos, we're the only ones who /get/ how balance works".

Templar and Illum have much better mission turn-ins and handlers.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So there is a thread about the notion of Funcom "relaunching" the game. I saw this as a good opportunity to comment on why TSW failed, you should too.
http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=80085

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

I think Hugh once said he data mined all the turn in text. If I'm remembering right the plan was to post it on the wiki Cheston was making.

But then that became a Goon Project.

I did pull them out and didn't do a thing with them. The hidden lore I posted to the off site forums.

Killsion posted:

So there is a thread about the notion of Funcom "relaunching" the game. I saw this as a good opportunity to comment on why TSW failed, you should too.

While I don't plan on responding I am curious if Joel responds. Joel is still TSW Hitler right?

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 19, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Killsion posted:

Anyone know how 4g IP addresses work? I'm at the store getting a new phone and am curious if it will have a new IP they can't match to any of my old posts.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

HughGRect posted:

I did pull them out and didn't do a thing with them. The hidden lore I posted to the off site forums.

While I don't plan on responding I am curious if Joel responds. Joel is still TSW Hitler right?

As awful as Joel is at least he isn't David Gaider.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfhTbNM-2Q

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Len posted:

Anyone know how 4g IP addresses work? I'm at the store getting a new phone and am curious if it will have a new IP they can't match to any of my old posts.
Depends on your ISP/Carrier. Most IPs given out on mobile services are private addresses that connect through NAT behind a series of public IPs (primarily for load balancing on sites like Twitter that care about connections per IP). If the 4G network is using different public IPs to your old network it might be okay but if they're all passed out through the same group it won't matter.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I wish I had gotten in on this earlier. This is a goddamn blast. I love the settings and enemies so far. The cutscenes are well done and the UI is pretty easy to use. Great game. Definitely needs to advertise more.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Scags posted:

I wish I had gotten in on this earlier. This is a goddamn blast. I love the settings and enemies so far. The cutscenes are well done and the UI is pretty easy to use. Great game. Definitely needs to advertise more.

They need a marketing division for that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Scags posted:

I love the subject material and the storylines, but I can't imagine this could ever be wildly popular -- maybe back in the '90s when the X-Files was a big deal. Heck, I'm pleasantly surprised it's still around -- I was afraid it wouldn't last a year.

Huh...what you say
Jun 7, 2011

1-800-Hows-My-Incoherent-Rambling
Getting into Transylvania, I've run into some issues with completing missions, and I think its mainly due to my gear (I like to mission Pistol/Blade). I've managed to grab a full set of blue pieces while running dungeons but now I'm pretty low on health--should I run one or two major talismans for health or go back to greens? Also have a lot of the healing passives, should I also be running a minor talisman or two with healing? Finally I assume, for missioning, DPS stats are the way to go, or has anyone found running defensive stats or a mix more effective? I got a couple of rare talisman toolkits I'd like to craft something with, and while I'd like to experiment, I'd hate to just waste them and looking for opinions on gear.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Huh...what you say posted:

Getting into Transylvania, I've run into some issues with completing missions, and I think its mainly due to my gear (I like to mission Pistol/Blade). I've managed to grab a full set of blue pieces while running dungeons but now I'm pretty low on health--should I run one or two major talismans for health or go back to greens? Also have a lot of the healing passives, should I also be running a minor talisman or two with healing? Finally I assume, for missioning, DPS stats are the way to go, or has anyone found running defensive stats or a mix more effective? I got a couple of rare talisman toolkits I'd like to craft something with, and while I'd like to experiment, I'd hate to just waste them and looking for opinions on gear.

It's been a long time since I've played, but Transylvania was very tough (as Sword/Hammer) even with QL10 greens. If you're in like QL8/9 Blues, I expect it'll still be tough. I've never played Pistol/Blade, but what I do know about Blade is that splitting HP/Dmg/Heals doesn't work as well as it should.

Lets say you do 100% Dmg - you kill <a thing> and it takes 60 seconds to kill it, and after the fight you're sitting at 50% HP. If you switched out your gear to instead of being 100% DPS, say, 50% Heals/50% DPS, that same fight against <a thing> will instead take 120 seconds to kill it, and you'll still be at 50% HP at the end. If you add in some HP gear, you're still about the same level after the fight - 50% HP remaining (which takes longer to regen) and the fight still takes longer than 60 seconds.

When I was doing Transylvania, I was splitting everything about evenly: 50% tank gear, 50% dps gear - and while I never really died, I was never really doing very much damage. Meanwhile my buddy was doing 100% DPS gear - he died a bunch, but when he wasn't dying, he was killing things very quickly.

Honestly: My best advice for you would be to grab a friend!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Otacon posted:

Honestly: My best advice for you would be to grab a friend!

I am available for the rest of this evening if anyone needs a body for anything. I've posted my steam profile a few times. Just add me and be like "Platbeard. Come do X"

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Honestly, the worst quest in Transylvania is The Cost of Magic.

It gets easier the more you do it, but the first time I encountered it I almost uninstalled. Seriously, gently caress everything about that entire mission.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Otacon posted:

It gets easier the more you do it, but the first time I encountered it I almost uninstalled. Seriously, gently caress everything about that entire mission.

I spent six hours straight trying to do the jumping bit once. It's gotten much easier since. It was all ping related though. I got to that mission when my lovely Amish Country internet was acting up and I disconnected every 10 minutes.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Len posted:

I spent six hours straight trying to do the jumping bit once. It's gotten much easier since. It was all ping related though. I got to that mission when my lovely Amish Country internet was acting up and I disconnected every 10 minutes.

Between the platform (and getting knocked off 7 or 8 times) and the jumping bit, and then the god drat snares/grenades in the 2nd to last bit (AND FALLING INTO A loving PIT AND DYING AT THE END) I almost punched my LCD. Then I hosed up the very last bit by doing 1 thing out of order and getting 1-shotted by the guardian and spawning 12 miles away. I'm honestly surprised I even attempted it again. At least it gives decent XP. But seriously... that is the worst mission in the entire game.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I hope someday, someone, somewhere can create a MMO where the standard PVP tactic isn't "run in circles around your opponent, because they are old and have lovely reflexes". :arghfist::corsair:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

prefect posted:

I hope someday, someone, somewhere can create a MMO where the standard PVP tactic isn't "run in circles around your opponent, because they are old and have lovely reflexes". :arghfist::corsair:

I seem to recall maybe Dark Age of Camelot having a "lock-on" feature where your character faced the opponent all the time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Otacon posted:

No the worst mission is the girl who kicked over the vampire's nest, because vampires have the most annoying nightmare buffs and almost all of them are full-HP mobs who attack in pairs (at least).

The hardest part about the cost of magic is knowing where to go the first time and attempting it the intended/hard way while picking up lore (stealth sections are fun!). The trickiest part is probably the jumping, I agree a game with bad platforming like TSW shouldn't have jumping puzzles. If you get the jumping puzzle down and know where to go, you can run Cost of Magic in like 10 minutes which makes it the best mission, actually :colbert:

Huh...what you say posted:

Assuming the same item level, take the blues over greens - you get more stats overall (more attack rating, particularly). However, a HP major is a good idea because you're not going to have the damage output to kill things before they seriously damage you, and your base 1970 or w/e HP is nothing for Transylvania mobs. The damage you lose by taking a HP major instead of a DPS one wouldn't make up for it, but don't overdo it. You should be able to do normal missions with one HP major, don't use more than two.

As for healing talismans, I personally never saw the need to use more than one active/passive for healing abilities for soloing. If you want your survivability to come from healing, you basically have to run a leech build, as you give up far too much damage to gain significant heals otherwise. One HoT proc passive can be nice against the scarecrow nightmare mobs at least.

I used to run missions in tank gear accidentally (especially after Cost of Magic) and you can get to the point where most mobs don't really hurt, but take forever to take down. It's not particularly fun. If anything, make HP talismans and stuff them with DPS glyphs of your choice, then see how much HP you need to comfortably kill enemies without it feeling slow. Or make talismans for tanking/healing if you feel like doing that in dungeons.

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 21, 2014

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
There is a Blade/Chaos build with heal procs all over the place that needs two or three healing items initially but you can scale it down to one with decent purps. It's an old build though and I have no idea how it compares to newer stuff but it still works.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Morglon posted:

There is a Blade/Chaos build with heal procs all over the place that needs two or three healing items initially but you can scale it down to one with decent purps. It's an old build though and I have no idea how it compares to newer stuff but it still works.

Hugh, how long would it take me to grind out whatever the new nerd points thing is so I can update my Spin2Win video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIqMjrbUceM

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
A day to unlock Tokyo and the basic AEGIS gear. Then your spinny-win-of death is back in.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Picked up secret world during a steam flash sale today.
Gonna use the info/gameplay tips in the OP/2nd post unless someone tells me it's massively out of date.
thanks.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Has there always been a gory skeleton pile outside the London Agartha entrance?

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Cheston posted:

Has there always been a gory skeleton pile outside the London Agartha entrance?

IIRC, thats from the most recent Mayan Apocalypse thing, it had a quest tied to it and you like, mailed something to yourself and got a place to go to see the archaeologists in Egypt about the apocalypse.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

What server goons play on; I have an old character and I don't remember anything about the game so I think I will have to start over anyway.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Playing this on the free trial right now, it's good enough even as a single player game that I'll probably buy the digital distro version off Amazon for $12. If I do that, do I need to go into my funcom account and apply a code or anything? Or do I just download/install the copy I paid for and log in with my existing account from there?

Also I've been spending exclusively in the elementalism trees to be a big time shooty blasty wizard. I seem to be doing alright with the build so far, lots of boom and enough survivability to burn down just about anything before I can get down below 50% health or so. I'm in Savage Coast now, how long can I keep it up in this vein before I have to look at spending points elsewhere?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bleusilences posted:

What server goons play on; I have an old character and I don't remember anything about the game so I think I will have to start over anyway.

Makes no difference, it only matters for PvP which you shouldn't do because it is horrible. All PvE poo poo can be done with anyone on any server.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

guppy posted:

Makes no difference, it only matters for PvP which you shouldn't do because it is horrible. All PvE poo poo can be done with anyone on any server.

Really? Even hanging out in Agartha and chatting? I did not know that.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

tuluk posted:

Picked up secret world during a steam flash sale today.
Gonna use the info/gameplay tips in the OP/2nd post unless someone tells me it's massively out of date.
thanks.

Info is still relevant for new players, but lacks the issue 8 and 9 additions of scenarios, augments, the Tokyo zone and AEGIS.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

HughGRect posted:

Info is still relevant for new players, but lacks the issue 8 and 9 additions of scenarios, augments, the Tokyo zone and AEGIS.

You can play a whole lot of the game before understanding any of that. (I'm living proof. :downs:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I feel like this could have been one of the best games ever had they been bothered to play test anything past Kingsmouth

• Locked thread