Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

I think this is probably going to be a stretch but can anyone recommend me a romance manga or anime that is finished with a proper ending and the ending is an unambiguously happy one? I would prefer a lack of love triangles and annoying characters but I feel like I'm asking too much already. :v:

I can't remember and it's a pain to search around on my phone so forgive me if you've read/seen these: LovelyComplex, Girl Friends, and Toradora.

Edit: Toradora might fail the "annoying character" requirement tho. Still a fun show.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Seconding Lovely Complex, although it is probably the only completed romance manga I've read...

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm dumb and totally forgot about Bonnouji; it's a happy ending romance manga that's also a very chill slice-of-life story and the only downside is that it's short.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

I think this is probably going to be a stretch but can anyone recommend me a romance manga or anime that is finished with a proper ending and the ending is an unambiguously happy one? I would prefer a lack of love triangles and annoying characters but I feel like I'm asking too much already. :v:
Maison Ikkoku. More than thirty year old spoilers: Godai and Kyoko marry have a baby and live happily in the apartment building with their friends.

There's Votoms if you completely ignore the OVAs and I am completely serious about this one, Godannar. The Planetes manga. Princess Tutu kind of. Redline. Space Battleship Yamato not counting the sequel movie where they all die which was ignored by the next season of anime anyway. The Five Star Stories movie, the manga is still going but the movie picked a good place to stop. They Were Eleven.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

I can't remember and it's a pain to search around on my phone so forgive me if you've read/seen these: LovelyComplex, Girl Friends, and Toradora.

Just finished Girl Friends a couple of days ago but then I read something depressing after that. :v: Also doesn't help that I just started Hourou Musuko and for some reason that's had me crying like a little girl for the entire thing, even when nothing particularly bad is happening.

Guyver posted:

Maison Ikkoku. More than thirty year old spoilers: Godai and Kyoko marry have a baby and live happily in the apartment building with their friends.

There's Votoms if you completely ignore the OVAs and I am completely serious about this one, Godannar. The Planetes manga. Princess Tutu kind of. Redline. Space Battleship Yamato not counting the sequel movie where they all die which was ignored by the next season of anime anyway. The Five Star Stories movie, the manga is still going but the movie picked a good place to stop. They Were Eleven.

Thanks, I'm not much of a Rumiko Takahashi fan (apart from Urusei Yatsura) but I keep hearing that Maison Ikkoku is good even if you don't like her other stuff. I actually love Godannar, it must be in some sort of top ten for the amount of fanservice but its heart is always in the right place. Votoms and Princess Tutu are shows I've always meant to watch as well.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'd recommend Bonnouji but it's required reading so you've already done that. Uwagaki was pretty cute and the final chapter uploaded today, actually.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Another recommendation for Uwagaki, it just ended and is real good. Give it a read, its not very long. There is some drama and sci-fi stuff, but the core of it is a pretty adorable romance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look in to them all. :)

I actually hadn't read Bonnouji and holy poo poo it's loving amazing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

On the manga side I'd recommend Sand Chronicles and as a bonus it's actually really good and only has one "triangle" but it actually develops itself pretty good!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Sakurazuka posted:

Kimagure Orange Road is somewhere between that and Slice of Life with a weird twist, if that qualifies. I haven't watched it on many years, but what I remember meets the above standards.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

You know what's a series that people always seem to forget about, despite being popular a decade ago? Fruits Basket. The manga for that fits your criteria very well* in my opinion and is overall one of the best shoujo series I've ever read, but everyone just seems to remember only the anime for some reason. Which isn't bad, but ultimately it only covers the first half of the story which isn't nearly as good as the second.

*There is of course sort of a love triangle but given the direction it goes I don't think you would mind tooooo much.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nate RFB posted:

You know what's a series that people always seem to forget about, despite being popular a decade ago? Fruits Basket. The manga for that fits your criteria very well* in my opinion and is overall one of the best shoujo series I've ever read, but everyone just seems to remember only the anime for some reason. Which isn't bad, but ultimately it only covers the first half of the story which isn't nearly as good as the second.

*There is of course sort of a love triangle but given the direction it goes I don't think you would mind tooooo much.

Way too many annoying characters; also depression reverberates throughout making it really quite painful at times.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Furious Lobster posted:

Way too many annoying characters; also depression reverberates throughout making it really quite painful at times.
Outside of Bonnouji I wouldn't say they are any worse than any of the other recommendations. It's more of a cast bloat problem than anything else so not everyone is developed as well as the main ones and a weird obsession with pairing up everyone. It certainly also has an unambiguously happy ending that feels worth it after the hardships.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks for reminding me about Fruits Basket, I watched the anime years ago and enjoyed it then promptly forgot all about it. I'll check out the other suggestions too.

Bonnouji is still amazing but I'm being amused that while the actual romance is progressing pretty quickly in real time, in manga time it's as glacially slow as it gets. Two years between them meeting and going out, six moths between them going out and actually kissing, two years between them first going out and having sex. :v:

VVVV I'm used to the shoujo love of every character having a tragic background even in otherwise happy series, so that doesn't really bother me.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nate RFB posted:

Outside of Bonnouji I wouldn't say they are any worse than any of the other recommendations. It's more of a cast bloat problem than anything else so not everyone is developed as well as the main ones and a weird obsession with pairing up everyone. It certainly also has an unambiguously happy ending that feels worth it after the hardships.

Lovely Complex, for example, is also pretty depression free and note that I'm not talking about the feelings that result from being rejected or not being able to express one's feelings but rather depression that is from child abuse, parents dying early, etc. The point is that even Japan can make love stories which avoid looking like they should be put in DSM-IV or written by Thomas Hardy.

Edit: Lovely Complex also doesn't have a ton of annoying characters either.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 19, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Furious Lobster posted:

Edit: Lovely Complex also doesn't have a ton of annoying characters either.
Who annoyed you in FB to such an extent that it was a problem? It's been years since I read it but I don't remember disliking anyone other than genuine rear end in a top hat characters who you are supposed to hate. Like I said I had a greater issue with some characters just being a bit under-developed.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 19, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nate RFB posted:

Who annoyed you in FB? It's been years since I read it but I don't remember disliking anyone other than genuine rear end in a top hat characters who you are supposed to hate. Like I said I had a greater issue with some characters just being a bit under-developed.

It's also been a while but the Snake & Boar Zodiacs immediately spring to mind; as for the rest, I'm probably going to pin it on the fact that the plot necessitates a ton of side characters, which you've pointed out already but going after all those stories is sort of annoyance in itself.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still maintain that Fruits Basket has one of the best endings I've ever seen in a shoujo/josei series and is the main reason I felt like bringing it up. It's one of the only times I felt a series truly gave the closure deserved of a longish romance story with so many bumps and hurdles to reach its finale. Didn't the main conflict effectively wrap up 2 volumes before the final volume? There was so much room to breathe. Contrast this with Kare Kano, where you get a standard final chapter time jump epilogue after the main conflict is resolved.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nate RFB posted:

I still maintain that Fruits Basket has one of the best endings I've ever seen in a shoujo/josei series and is the main reason I felt like bringing it up. It's one of the only times I felt a series truly gave the closure deserved of a longish romance story with so many bumps and hurdles to reach its finale. Didn't the main conflict effectively wrap up 2 volumes before the final volume? There was so much room to breathe. Contrast this with Kare Kano, where you get a standard final chapter time jump epilogue after the main conflict is resolved.

It's great example of a happy ending shojo manga but I feel that it doesn't meet the criteria of what had been asked - namely a good end without too many annoying characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well it's kind of moot since Sakurazuka apparently already watched/enjoyed FB before and thus is acclimated with its cast, warts and all, already.

Now, a romance series that I love that I definitely wouldn't recommend because it has annoying characters? Fushigi Yuugi. Or maybe Hana Yori Dango. FY in particular is terrible and yet I can't help but gobble up any new material that comes out.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Since we're talking about completed mangas, what are the best completed comedy mangas? By comedy I'm thinking GTO rather than 4-koma or sketch mangas where there isn't a continuous plot.

I like Sakamoto desu ka a lot, for example. I just wish there was more of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have watched all of the Fushigi Yuugi anime and would rather swallow shards of glass than go through that again.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Speaking of Shojo series, has anyone read the Sailor Moon manga and can comment on whether it's good/bad and why? I never saw any of the earlier anime developments and given that this new one is supposedly based a lot more on the manga than previous incarnations, it'd be useful to know if the source material was also good.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Sakurazuka posted:

Luckily for you, Uwagaki just had it's final chapter. Short, sweet and quirky.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Chas McGill posted:

Since we're talking about completed mangas, what are the best completed comedy mangas? By comedy I'm thinking GTO rather than 4-koma or sketch mangas where there isn't a continuous plot.

Angel Densetsu was a pretty good comedy, as well as Beelzebub. Kyou kara Ore wa was pretty fun too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Chas McGill posted:

Daily Lives of High School Boys has been wrapped up for a while if for some reason you never read it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I recently finished Binbougami ga! which is a comedy I really liked. It took a couple of chapters, but then I really, really liked it. It does get kinda drama at times, particularly towards the end, but it's never unnatural or forced, and always carries a sense of self-awareness. Also a surprisingly good battle manga.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Furious Lobster posted:

Speaking of Shojo series, has anyone read the Sailor Moon manga and can comment on whether it's good/bad and why? I never saw any of the earlier anime developments and given that this new one is supposedly based a lot more on the manga than previous incarnations, it'd be useful to know if the source material was also good.

I bought all the new releases of the manga basically because of nostalgia for the original anime and loved it. It's a little light on characterization but her art is fantastic. She does a lot of cool things with panel and page layout and even if her designs don't have much to do with actual anatomy, everything and everyone is really lively and great just to look at.

There's also a whole Sailor Moon thread of you want to page through or ask over there as well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Or maybe Hana Yori Dango. FY in particular is terrible and yet I can't help but gobble up any new material that comes out.

I really didn't like Hana Yori Dango. It had pretty much every shoujo trope imaginable. It's like the shoujo equivalent of Onegai Teacher or something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have a lot of nostalgia for HYD, because it was probably the first shoujo series I ever watched (via mail-ordered VHS fansubs). I liked the main character being relatively pro-active and no-nonsense, and in general it seemed to hit a lot of nice beats and developments in the story. It absolutely nails Bad Shoujo Cliche bingo though; constant misunderstandings, snobby/annoying rich girl rivals, rear end in a top hat/abusive/bad boy love interests, flowery backgrounds, and of course FY-style attempted rape from time to time.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Hentai Kamen and Dragon Ball

I am not joking.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Black Stones posted:

On the manga side I'd recommend Sand Chronicles and as a bonus it's actually really good and only has one "triangle" but it actually develops itself pretty good!

Sand Chronicles is really good but also not exactly "happy" except for the ending. It's more about a girl who is in love but also struggling with crippling depression, suicidal thoughts, and trauma. That said, it's an absolutely fantastic series and follows her through her life from elementary school to an adult, rather than being locked in the standard eternal high school timeframe.

Yamada's First Time is a humor/romance 4koma series that has actual plot progression! It's about Yamada, the attractive and energetic young superstar of her class, who is a massive pervert while also being a virgin, and winds up crushing on probably the most featureless and boring dude in class. While it could stand to lose like a third of its length(filler poo poo), and a couple characters are dumb and bad, the romance is very cute and it can be really funny at times. Completed.

Poor Poor Lips is another 4koma romcom with plot, and is great outside of the one niggling thing that bothers me, that the 20-something poor protagonist looks like a moeblob. Other than that, it's great and really funny at times. Completed.

CHOKU! is a loving insane and absurd "rom"com. It's short and great. There's tons of single pages that would go perfectly into the "convince someone with one image" thread. Completed.

Molester Man is "based on a true story" but that's likely bullshit, it's still alright though. Dude gets accused of molesting someone, things get cleared up, hooray! Some of the characters are really terrible though. Completed.

Octave is amongst the best series on this list, even if it's not a comedy, and for a romance it's pretty dire even if it has a happy ending. A failed idol moves to Tokyo to figure out what the gently caress she's going to do with her life post-high school, meets a musician, and falls for her. Very dramatic, the main character is a supremely flawed person. Completed.

The World God Only Knows is ALL ABOUT romance tropes. The main character is a shitlord dating game prodigy and uses his knowledge of dating games to woo real world girls, because if he doesn't capture their heart and release the evil spirits that have taken residence in them, the collar a hell demon(the best character of the series) put on his neck when he accidentally signed a demonic pact will explode. Long, funny, dramatic, and a lot of the characters are fantastic. Most of the series is widely praised, the final arc gets mixed reactions(though reading through it all at once seems to make it go down better), I liked it a lot. Probably the best series on this list of completed stuff. Completed.

My Little Monster is fairly dramatic but has an outstanding romance over the course of it. It's really amazing how good it turned out since early on it seemed like it might be another Ao Haru Ride or other similar lovely garbage abusive romance series, but it goes much more in-depth about many of the characters and is just fantastic by the end. Completed.

Those are all the completed series, but allow me to suggest some incomplete stuff(whether it's completed but not fully scanlated, or just a currently-running series):

Sekitou Elergy is amazing, one of my favorite series. Everyone is ugly, everyone is a bad person, but that's the world we live in. Follows a total loser who is aimless in life post-high school, and one day he meets a rough, brutish girl while working his part-time job as a construction traffic director. Only 5 of the 20 volumes have been scanlated, this series is completed.

The Truth Is, I Am...(also nicknamed "Truthism" for short) is a supernatural romcom about a normal dude in high school who falls for the new transfer student, who is actually a vampire. Might turn into a harem situation(though he only really likes Shirigami) with other supernatural beings, including an alien, demon, werewolf, and others. Actually way better than you'd think it would be, with adorable characters, great comedy, very little fanservice(aside from one character...) despite having fairly voluptuous female characters, and it just flows very naturally. One of my favorite up-and-comers.

Kimi Ni Todoke, one of the standards of the genre. Takes forever to get into the actual romance, but also focuses on the side characters almost as much as the main characters and their romances too, which are great. Lots of fantastic characters, and is a really lighthearted but solid series. Might be wrapping up soon, the latest chapters seem like part of an epilogue of sorts.

Otoyomegatari is easily amongst the most beautiful manga ever made. Almost every panel is crammed with so much gorgeous detail. It's set in the 1800s on the Silk Road, it follows a young woman who is married off to a much younger man. They're adorable together, and lots of the characters are outstanding. While it does have their romance, it's also often an action/drama and sometimes a comedy, it doesn't entirely focus on them. Highly recommended.

ORE MONOGATARI! A huge, kind, gorilla-like dude who always seems to be ignored by everyone in favor of his very attractive model-like friend, saves a girl from a molester on a subway. She falls for him and they start dating. It's funny and super adorable, the sort of series that just makes you literally go :allears:

House of the Sun is a fairly dramatic but adorable series about a girl who feels unwanted in her home after her father remarries, and moves in with her childhood friend Hiro. Hiro's siblings left the house after a tragedy, and Mao and Hiro try to bring everyone back together again. It's super adorable.

Horimiya is a pretty laid-back romcom. The two main characters are really amusing and work great together.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Nice list. I'll check out those 4-komas and the other comedy mangas people recommended above.

Captain Invictus posted:

Those are all the completed series, but allow me to suggest some incomplete stuff(whether it's completed but not fully scanlated, or just a currently-running series):

Sekitou Elergy is amazing, one of my favorite series. Everyone is ugly, everyone is a bad person, but that's the world we live in. Follows a total loser who is aimless in life post-high school, and one day he meets a rough, brutish girl while working his part-time job as a construction traffic director. Only 5 of the 20 volumes have been scanlated, this series is completed.
I wouldn't say either of the main characters are bad people. They just aren't airbrushed in the way that most manga characters are. The guy is immature and ruled by his knob but so was I at his age. Chiiko is actually pretty admirable. Despite having a tough time in her early life she's accruing skills and working hard. She doesn't even assault anyone that often after the first few chapters. I find Sekitou Elergy extremely refreshing for, as you say, its reflection of real life. They don't live in some kind of courtly, responsibility-free bubble. They gently caress, they fight, they do stupid things. I love it.

It's frustrating that such a high quality and unusual manga isn't being translated any more. I'd still recommend anyone looking for a romance to read it since the last translated volume doesn't end on a cliffhanger or anything.

I found myself comparing Sekitou to Boys on the Run on occasion, partly because of Chiiko's resemblance to the deaf boxer, but Sekitou is far, far less cynical. I still like Boys on the Run a whole lot, though.

Captain Invictus posted:

ORE MONOGATARI! A huge, kind, gorilla-like dude who always seems to be ignored by everyone in favor of his very attractive model-like friend, saves a girl from a molester on a subway. She falls for him and they start dating. It's funny and super adorable, the sort of series that just makes you literally go :allears:
Another of my favourites. Another series with a dubious future in terms of translation. Ugh! The chapters that are translated are completely worth reading, however.

Guyver posted:

Hentai Kamen and Dragon Ball

I am not joking.
I actually have the film of Hentai Kamen, though I've yet to watch it. Need to check out the manga.

Terper posted:

I recently finished Binbougami ga! which is a comedy I really liked. It took a couple of chapters, but then I really, really liked it. It does get kinda drama at times, particularly towards the end, but it's never unnatural or forced, and always carries a sense of self-awareness. Also a surprisingly good battle manga.
I'll give this a shot, too.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 19, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Another of my favourites. Another series with a dubious future in terms of translation. Ugh! The chapters that are translated are completely worth reading, however.

Actually there is no question about its translation since Viz is putting out the first volume on July first.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

coathat posted:

Actually there is no question about its translation since Viz is putting out the first volume on July first.
Oh nice! I didn't know about that. Great news.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ore Monogatari is really fun; I can't help laughing at scenes like this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

Nice list. I'll check out those 4-komas and the other comedy mangas people recommended above.

I wouldn't say either of the main characters are bad people. They just aren't airbrushed in the way that most manga characters are. The guy is immature and ruled by his knob but so was I at his age. Chiiko is actually pretty admirable. Despite having a tough time in her early life she's accruing skills and working hard. She doesn't even assault anyone that often after the first few chapters. I find Sekitou Elergy extremely refreshing for, as you say, its reflection of real life. They don't live in some kind of courtly, responsibility-free bubble. They gently caress, they fight, they do stupid things. I love it.

I didn't mean literally, really, but the world/atmosphere of the manga paints everyone as a big fat jerk to any other human. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks for the big list Captain Invictus, I've been going through the romance thread lately and noted down a few of those I'll check out the rest too (read a few already, Octave is one of my favourite series).

I just finished Choku! today and it managed to be both hilarious, creepy and sweet, often all at the same time. Chas, if you're still looking for a comedy and haven't read that I highly recommend it.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
Hi guys.

I was hoping you could recommend me some badass girly shows. I recently finished Revolutionary Girl Utena and absolutely LOVED it. I now listen to the movie soundtrack daily (don't judge me.)

Any shows with feminist themes or just one badass female character would do. I loved PMMM (although admittedly more depressing than inspiring) and enjoyed Kill la Kill's Kiryuin Satsuki (but looking back I really did ignore a lot of the fanservice in order to enjoy the show.)

I'm still pretty new to anime so anything you recommend I probably haven't seen. I'm also pretty dumb so I hope my question is clear enough. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

uuuummm posted:

Hi guys.

I was hoping you could recommend me some badass girly shows. I recently finished Revolutionary Girl Utena and absolutely LOVED it. I now listen to the movie soundtrack daily (don't judge me.)

Any shows with feminist themes or just one badass female character would do. I loved PMMM (although admittedly more depressing than inspiring) and enjoyed Kill la Kill's Kiryuin Satsuki (but looking back I really did ignore a lot of the fanservice in order to enjoy the show.)

I'm still pretty new to anime so anything you recommend I probably haven't seen. I'm also pretty dumb so I hope my question is clear enough. Thanks!

FLCL's probably a good place to start. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is also really good, if you can cope with the Major's weird lack of pants for most of the first season.

• Locked thread