Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

A Melted Tarp posted:

Which expensive fountain pen is best for endorsing my Best Buy paycheck prior to cashing it at the grocery store?

That entirely depends on what paper they're using for the check, are we talking 75gsm or heavier? Are you concerned about feathering? Improper choices could lead to your signature looking like poo poo. Nothing says 'untrustworthy check kiter' more than poor penmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Mostly I type things

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Can someone recommend a nice, permanent green or grey ink that has some shading? I'd like to hand-address my wedding invitations and I'm paranoid about the address smearing. I'm not convinced I like any of Noodler's bulletproof inks for this, but that's my go-to for permanence. Thanks!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

milpreve posted:

Can someone recommend a nice, permanent green or grey ink that has some shading? I'd like to hand-address my wedding invitations and I'm paranoid about the address smearing. I'm not convinced I like any of Noodler's bulletproof inks for this, but that's my go-to for permanence. Thanks!

I suggest the juice of winter berries mixed with three parts water and left in the desert overnight, but a powerful grey can be had from the accumulated trail slime of mountain snails.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

milpreve posted:

I think this colour is pretty interesting? Not sure if it's what you're looking for and I don't know that it's bulletproof, but the review there says it's thoroughly water-resistant.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION
I see you're looking at my pen, and I can tell you want to ask. Well, it's a Pilot Metropolitan, and though it's not my favorite, the purchase was kind of an ironic joke; you see, on the something awful foutain pen thread, they've become a bit of a "thing", haha

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i have a question for the thread: what do you pen dudes think about ppl who spend huge amounts of money on anime figurines?

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION
When you're a serious Businessman, you need to sign important multipage documents with your important signature. What better way to assert your authority than to use a fountain pen and allow your signatures to smudge all over the loving place when a clerk haphazardly shuffles the pages

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Corridor posted:

i have a question for the thread: what do you pen dudes think about ppl who spend huge amounts of money on anime figurines?

Figurines or those life-sized jointed dolls with 23+ realistic openings and life-like tentacle action?

I can't store my pens in a figurine.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Lord Girlyman posted:

Figurines or those life-sized jointed dolls with 23+ realistic openings and life-like tentacle action?

I can't store my pens in a figurine.

Can you please catalog and describe each of these realistic openings, just curious.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Here's my latest pickup. What say ye, pen thread? :eng101:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Epic Hamcat posted:

Here's my latest pickup. What say ye, pen thread? :eng101:

You're holding that pretty high, dude. Might want to choke down a bit.

I've never seen that pen before. How's it post?

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Which is the ideal pen for someone who is so delusional they think that spending excessive money on something as utilitarian as a pen makes them superior to others?

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
You all should have seen the look on the pimply GameStop girl's face when I whipped out my Visconti to sign for my Star Citizen pre-order. "No thanks", I said in my best Humphrey Bogart voice, "I don't use anything but the best."

She definitely had to change her panties soon after.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

A Melted Tarp posted:

Which is the ideal pen for someone who is so delusional they think that spending excessive money on something as utilitarian as a pen makes them superior to others?

I don't know anybody like that so I can't help you there

Oh sorry the answer is a Pilot Metropolitan

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

guys i've just come into a fair bit of money and i've decided that what i really want/need in life is an expensive status symbol or 'man toy' to fill the howling void in my soul. i would prefer it be something sleek and executive-looking that i can imagine the world's most successful men might have casually lying on their desks. if it fails to bring me lasting joy i may need to buy several. i sure am glad i found this thread!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Corridor posted:

guys i've just come into a fair bit of money and i've decided that what i really want/need in life is an expensive status symbol or 'man toy' to fill the howling void in my soul. i would prefer it be something sleek and executive-looking that i can imagine the world's most successful men might have casually lying on their desks. if it fails to bring me lasting joy i may need to buy several. i sure am glad i found this thread!

Buy a Pilot Metropolitan.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Corridor posted:

[posted from my iphone]

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Nice shot here of the aluminum TWSBI 580:

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I was just looking at that on fb earlier today :) Also they are making the mini in white + rose gold! WANT (nevermind that I already have 2 minis)

milpreve, the best answer is probably on FPN's ink forum, they have a lot of great swatches and recommendations there. Alternatively, pick a good color and rub the address with a bit of wax to make it waterproof.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
TWSBI are pretty awesome. I'm so happy with my 580 1.5 stub. It's simply a joy to write with. I'll probably get another one if and when I'm looking for another pen. Those mini ones look sweet.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Minis are designed to be posted and posts by screwing on the cap (like the Sailor Sapporo mini). It's possible to jot down a quick note without posting but this may be a consideration depending on how you'd like to use your pen.

but look, it's so beautiful :swoon:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Like all things, the best pens are ones with sentimental value. I suggest befriending someone known to gift pens and really becoming close to the person; allow him to become the center of your life, then depart on amiable terms. The pen you receive will represent the friendship and anything you sign with it will be strengthened by its bond.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

scary ghost dog posted:

Like all things, the best pens are ones with sentimental value. I suggest befriending someone known to gift pens and really becoming close to the person; allow him to become the center of your life, then depart on amiable terms. The pen you receive will represent the friendship and anything you sign with it will be strengthened by its bond.

I feel the exact same way.

Pens tell a story. For example, this one i'm holding now that says "Toyota Certified Preowned". You can almost imagine the person holding that pen felt as they signed the paperwork, and took home a practical car with a very good warranty. I think some of the joy that man or woman felt is transferred to everyone that touches that pen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There seems to be a lot of pen trolling in here. As a soft touch I don't like telling people to stop posting, so instead I'm starting a game! For the next week you may continue to troll this thread, but if I (and I alone) am not amused you will receive a fountain probation.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Wow, it's suddenly so quiet...

Anyway, I've had this Sheaffer 300 for a while now and I seem to have ink flow issues. I'll be writing with it, it goes dry and then I have to shake the pen up and down to get it flowing again.

I've cleaned it out using the typical flush solutions, and I've tried it with both an ink cart and with the converter. Inks used include the carts that come with the pen Noodler's Eel. It's a fine nib, but it came with a medium (sent it back for the nib change) and it had the same issue.

Any other suggestions here? I can't seem to remove the nib either, so the best I can manage is using a bulb aspirator. Any tricks for that?

Thanks in advance folks, I love the look of the pen and wouldn't mind adding this one to my collection. Just so long as I can actually use them.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Solkanar512 posted:

Wow, it's suddenly so quiet...

Anyway, I've had this Sheaffer 300 for a while now and I seem to have ink flow issues. I'll be writing with it, it goes dry and then I have to shake the pen up and down to get it flowing again.

I've cleaned it out using the typical flush solutions, and I've tried it with both an ink cart and with the converter. Inks used include the carts that come with the pen Noodler's Eel. It's a fine nib, but it came with a medium (sent it back for the nib change) and it had the same issue.

Any other suggestions here? I can't seem to remove the nib either, so the best I can manage is using a bulb aspirator. Any tricks for that?

Thanks in advance folks, I love the look of the pen and wouldn't mind adding this one to my collection. Just so long as I can actually use them.

Look at how well the nib/feed are aligned, and if there's any issue with the nib (tines too close); these are often culprits for poor flow.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
While we're back on actual pen chat, I'm absolutely in love with my Lamy Al-Star. It feels really perfect for my hand and writing style.

I got this one because it's beautiful.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Lamy_Al_Star_Bluegreen_Fountain_Pen_p/lmy-l32.htm

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

neongrey posted:

I think this colour is pretty interesting? Not sure if it's what you're looking for and I don't know that it's bulletproof, but the review there says it's thoroughly water-resistant.

I have a sample of this! I didn't realize it was pigmented. I will do permanence tests on it, but I think it's perfect. Thanks!

jomiel posted:

milpreve, the best answer is probably on FPN's ink forum, they have a lot of great swatches and recommendations there. Alternatively, pick a good color and rub the address with a bit of wax to make it waterproof.

I didn't know that wax trick. It makes sense, though, thanks!

milpreve fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 21, 2014

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Any fixes for a pen that writes too wet? Got one of Richard Binder's stub 0.7mm gold nibs on a Pelikan M200 and, while it's a great combination to write with, every ink I've tried take too long to dry and bleeds through anything but the thickest of papers.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I'm a recent fountain pen convert - got a Lamy Vista M and ordered a bottle of Heart of Darkness, so I've been using the free Preppy that comes with it - holy poo poo, definitely learned to use silicone grease.

My penmanship is atrocious though, and has been for ages - I'm one of those frantic scribbly people whose printing looks like a serial killer's - other than slowing down considerably, any advice on getting better?

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 21, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

strangemusic posted:

I'm a recent fountain pen convert - got a Lamy Vista M and ordered a bottle of Heart of Darkness, so I've been using the free Preppy that comes with it - holy poo poo, definitely learned to use silicone grease.

My penmanship is atrocious though, and has been for ages - I'm one of those frantic scribbly people whose printing looks like a serial killer's - other than slowing down considerably, any advice on getting better?

Write with your arm: http://www.paperpenalia.com/handwriting.html

Also, learn not to grip the pen so hard. If you've been writing with ballpoints your whole life, you may not even realize how much pressure you're applying to get the ink to transfer to the paper. With a fountain pen, capillary action should draw the ink from the nib to the paper, so you shouldn't have to be pressing down.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

strangemusic posted:

Hey, some serial killers have quite legible printing.

They tend to be worse at cursive, though.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Soricidus posted:

Hey, some serial killers have quite legible printing.

Part of me wants to copy this page note for note and post it. The other part doesn't want the police at my doorstep.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

strangemusic posted:

Part of me wants to copy this page note for note and post it. The other part doesn't want the police at my doorstep.

I think as long as you were born after 1960, you would be fine.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
Can anyone here speak to the springiness or slight flex that I've heard exist in sailor 21k nibs? Or does this springiness exist in other nice pens (besides vintage and the Namiki Falcon)?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
What's the best way to clean out the barrel of a hard rubber eyedropper pen? I have one that I'd like to use more often but I'm a little afraid of just sticking it under the tap because I thought it was bad to get them wet. I've been rinsing out the inside with a syringe but that's really inconvenient and takes a long time, plus that's a little too :spergin: even for me. I don't have a lot in the pen and it's not branded so I don't think it's valuable or collectible, but it is in nice shape and I'd hate to be the one that turned it all gross and brown by not knowing any better. By the same token, I bought it to write with so I'm ok with risking a little cosmetic damage if there isn't a better way.

Tamburlaine
Mar 16, 2014
what is so good,about pens

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

They magically turn paper from white to partially-not-white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Tamburlaine posted:

what is so good,about pens

I would guess you're asking about fountain pens specifically. I enjoy trying different nibs and inks in journal entries, which makes writing about a bland life almost fun. Besides that, letters, cards, and unvitation look better to me when written with an italic nib.