Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

This is such a sweet design, I want to make a pauper commander deck around this. Stuff it with fliers and unblockable stuff (is there even such things on common?), maybe some shadow stuff and just smash everyone's face with 4/1s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
It also makes your things that give -X/-1, deal at least 1 damage to an attacking creature get rid of their dudes swinging in, especially if they miss that you can do it on their turn.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Pretty sure the new iteration of MODO has broken Ninjutusu. The second I attack it won't let me Ninjutsu anything in if they don't declare blockers. It just goes to the damage step.

WTF

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Jenx posted:

This is such a sweet design, I want to make a pauper commander deck around this. Stuff it with fliers and unblockable stuff (is there even such things on common?), maybe some shadow stuff and just smash everyone's face with 4/1s.

I feel like it's definitely a better defensive ability than offensive. It enables some very powerful plays for just one card.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Jenx posted:

Yeah there are a ton of (mostly blue) creatures at common with "can't be blocked". Throw in some Spreading Seas effects and you can include islandwalk and swampwalk.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

mcnealys baby posted:

I feel like it's definitely a better defensive ability than offensive. It enables some very powerful plays for just one card.

Yeah, drop a Caltrops and they can't swing with creatures without a toughness boost while you have the mana up.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Allstone posted:

Yeah, drop a Caltrops and they can't swing with creatures without a toughness boost while you have the mana up.

Sadly, Caltrops is uncommon. Pestilence would work though in pauper commander. It's also a number one disenchant target for my Mistmeadow Witch deck.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Pretty sure the new iteration of MODO has broken Ninjutusu. The second I attack it won't let me Ninjutsu anything in if they don't declare blockers. It just goes to the damage step.

WTF

You do have a stop in the Declare Blockers step on your turn?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

So I logged into an old modo account I haven't used since ISD was new and for some reason I own a foil copy of every single basic land in Theros. :confused:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think that's because they never appeared in draft/sealed because the collation was off, so there was no way to catch em all and it was impossible to do set redemption. So they just gave everyone some :lol:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So if the bots will buy your VMA boosters for $7.08, but it only costs 6.99 from the store, why don't people just buy the packs and sell them back to the bots for arbitrage?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I think the new site redesign has broken every single legacy link to articles. :(

I go back to MaRo's set design and color philosophy articles a lot for cube design. gently caress.

Yes, I'm aware of the archive, but I'm not eager to page through, like, 6 years of articles with MaRo's punny titles.

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 19, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

So if the bots will buy your VMA boosters for $7.08, but it only costs 6.99 from the store, why don't people just buy the packs and sell them back to the bots for arbitrage?

Sales tax because I live in WA :smith:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Kasonic posted:

I think the new site redesign has broken every single legacy link to articles. :(

I go back to MaRo's set design and color philosophy articles a lot for cube design. gently caress.

Here you go.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Angry Grimace posted:

If sales tax isnt the answer, the value of a ticket on the secondary market might be. Selling tix for cash never gets you 1 for 1, usually like .97 for 1, which leaves you with less than the 6.99 you paid.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

End of Life Guy posted:

If sales tax isnt the answer, the value of a ticket on the secondary market might be. Selling tix for cash never gets you 1 for 1, usually like .97 for 1, which leaves you with less than the 6.99 you paid.

But the next profit on that is 1.04? As far as I know, they don't charge me sales tax when I buy tickets or boosters.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
This is tentative because it's just promo art at an expo for investors, but here is the poster they are using to advertise the MTG movie:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Angry Grimace posted:

But the next profit on that is 1.04? As far as I know, they don't charge me sales tax when I buy tickets or boosters.

I'm not quite sure where you're 1.04 from a 9 cent difference.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

What a Judas posted:

I'm not quite sure where you're 1.04 from a 9 cent difference.

Well, if you get 97 cents for a ticket by selling it and you obtain tickets at 1.08 tix per dollar, I think you end up with 1.04 per dollar, right?

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
If you buy 1000x boosters at $6.99/ea ($6990) and sold them for 7.08 tix apiece (7080 tix) and then sold the tix @ $0.97ea you'd end up with $6867.6 a net loss of $122.40. You'd only make $18 if you could find 1=1 dealer and buyers for all those boosters.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

This is tentative because it's just promo art at an expo for investors, but here is the poster they are using to advertise the MTG movie:

I bet they're probably just using M15 core set art.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnavonart/journeys-to-somewhere-else-by-john-avon

John Avon Artbook Kickstarter

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zorak posted:

I bet they're probably just using M15 core set art.

Yeah, I'm not gonna get excited about an MTG movie when all we've heard is that it's "in development" and that someone printed out some existing art and slapped a studio logo on it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

At my FLGS they've received the M15 prerelease 'statue', it's of Garruk (same art as In Garruk's Wake it looks like) and weighs quite a bit. Expect to see them no sooner than June 26th IIRC, so, next Thursday/Friday at the earliest.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Serperoth posted:

At my FLGS they've received the M15 prerelease 'statue', it's of Garruk (same art as In Garruk's Wake it looks like) and weighs quite a bit. Expect to see them no sooner than June 26th IIRC, so, next Thursday/Friday at the earliest.

When are we going to start seeing the actual cards? I'm vaguely interested in what Planeswalkers they're going to add to this set.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 19, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Angry Grimace posted:

When are we going to start seeing the actual cards? I'm vaguely interested in what Planeswalkers they're going to add to this set.

Previews start on Monday. Assuming the website cooperates.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

Official mothership previews start Sunday night hopefully at 12:00 am eastern not pacific.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

Previews start on Monday. Assuming the website cooperates.

I can't wait for WOTC to troll us and bring Liliana of the Dark Realms back for more.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't wait for WOTC to troll us and bring Liliana of the Dark Realms back for more.

We do know a liiiittle about the core set Planeswalkers, given that we've been getting a lot of physical merchandising based on M15 recently. Not that this merchandising necessarily aligns with reality, but:

There's probably going to be six Planeswalkers in the coreset: the Lorwyn 5 + Nissa, which probably means Garruk will be GB. The art on the boxing is new Jace art, new Garruk art, new Nissa art, Chandra Pyromaster, and Liliana 1.0. Of course, with the new art they could just be new-art versions of older cards, so no idea.

We're unlikely to see Jace Memory Adept and Liliana of the Dark Realms again because Magic R&D have acknowledged since even before M14 actually came out that Jace Memory Adept is just obnoxious in limited even as a Mythic, and they've also said that they screwed up Liliana of the Dark Realms since she doesn't really play like a Liliana should. She's too diluted.

To be honest I would not be surprised if the new-art Jace was a reprint of either Jace 1.0 with new art or a reprint of Architect of Thought with new art. Both are good without being oppressive / obnoxious.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 19, 2014

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

If your opponent offers a split in the finals of an 8-4, it's wise to accept. There's some karma thing going around where those who refuse to split generally get smushed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zorak posted:

We do know a liiiittle about the core set Planeswalkers, given that we've been getting a lot of physical merchandising based on M15 recently. Not that this merchandising necessarily aligns with reality, but:

There's probably going to be six Planeswalkers in the coreset: the Lorwyn 5 + Nissa, which probably means Garruk will be GB. The art on the boxing is new Jace art, new Garruk art, new Nissa art, Chandra Pyromaster, and Liliana 1.0. Of course, with the new art they could just be new-art versions of older cards, so no idea.

We're unlikely to see Jace Memory Adept and Liliana of the Dark Realms again because Magic R&D have acknowledged since even before M14 actually came out that Jace Memory Adept is just obnoxious in limited even as a Mythic, and they've also said that they screwed up Liliana of the Dark Realms since she doesn't really play like a Liliana should. She's too diluted.

To be honest I would not be surprised if the new-art Jace was a reprint of either Jace 1.0 with new art or a reprint of Architect of Thought with new art. Both are good without being oppressive / obnoxious.

Liliana Vess was my guess as the mono-black walker, as well. I was betting on new Nissa, Ajani COP, Pyromaster, new Garruk, Jace AOT and Lili 1.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

Come oooooon mono black garruk.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Oh, and the Ajani art on the Ajani packaging also has new art, but it would be kind of weird to get a new Ajani immediately after getting... a new Ajani. Not that it couldn't happen.

In the art on the packaging he appears to be wearing Elspeth's cloak.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zorak posted:

It's art from the new "Rescue from the Underworld" variant that only targets equipment.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
jace the mindsculpter confirmed for M15

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Zorak posted:

Jace 1.0 seems a lot more likely than the rest if they're not going to reprint Memory Adept, as that'll be the third major printing of Architect of Thought.

I was originally hoping that Liliana of the Veil would be in M15, then I realized how bad Standard would be if all the mono-black decks added Liliana as well.

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Zorak posted:

Oh, and the Ajani art on the Ajani packaging also has new art, but it would be kind of weird to get a new Ajani immediately after getting... a new Ajani. Not that it couldn't happen.

It happened before with Garruk. We got a new Garruk in Innistrad, and then a new Core Set one right after.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Jace 1.0 seems a lot more likely than the rest if they're not going to reprint Memory Adept, as that'll be the third major printing of Architect of Thought.

I was originally hoping that Liliana of the Veil would be in M15, then I realized how bad Standard would be if all the mono-black decks added Liliana as well.

If this was something planned, it wouldn't really matter. The lead time on sets is too long for them to have decided to just remove Liliana of the Veil if she was actually in there (which of course, I highly doubt).

I also don't think they really care that much about Super Standard. The current monoblack devotion deck won't exist when Tarkir block is legal unless Tarkir block has some serious enablers that plug right in where Pack Rat, Desecration Demon, Underworld Connections and Mutavault are.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 19, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm still gonna hold out hope for a Garruk being our Mono-black Planeswalker for M15.

I'm gonna be so disappointed. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'd love to see people try to curve Waste Not into Liliana of the Veil in Standard.

• Locked thread