Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
The paraphonic features on the Pro 2 are pretty sweet, do other mono synths have that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

The paraphonic features on the Pro 2 are pretty sweet, do other mono synths have that?

Not nearly as robust but off the top of my head, the Volca Keys and Sub37.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
The Waldorf Pulse 2 has an 8 voice paraphonic mode but it's not as complex as the Pro 2's 4 voice.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I love how as soon as they get to the demo of CV out controlling a modular they're like "OK boys, time for robot farts".

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

net work error posted:

So on a similar DSI note, I'm thinking of replacing my Mopho but I'm not sure what monosynth would be similar and have as much functionality. I dig the Mopho but the menu diving drives me mad (and don't say use the editor because it's frustrating too).

Suggestions on similar synths? What I liked most about the Mopho was the flexibilty it had thanks to the DCO's. In the end I may try and just sell it to get the keyboard version of it tbh.

e: No System-1 please I don't need to scatter myself TIA.

I've got a Slim Phatty for sale?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Phase 1 complete:

Next will be the synth stack!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

VoodooXT posted:

The Waldorf Pulse 2 has an 8 voice paraphonic mode but it's not as complex as the Pro 2's 4 voice.
The Rocket's got a couple paraphonic tricks too.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Phase 1 complete:

Next will be the synth stack!

I approve. What does the rear look like?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

MrLonghair posted:

I approve. What does the rear look like?

Imagine something really well organized and meticulously thought out. Then imagine the complete opposite of that.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MrLonghair posted:

You had me at using wheels for pitch and mod controls. Lovely on-board controls, nice rear, fine sound and sequencer, looking forward to that Japanese guy demoing it on youtube for a proper demo of its capabilities.

(On the other hand, two of those are more than a Kurzweil Forte.)

drat. Depending on the features I now get to decide between the Pro 2 and A4Keys. Probably the A4keys because it's less money and checks everything I'm looking for in my next synth, but the one voice of the Pro 2 sounds better than one voice of the A4/keys so it's down to Paraphonic vs Polyphonic and CV capabilities once those specs get released.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

net work error posted:

So on a similar DSI note, I'm thinking of replacing my Mopho but I'm not sure what monosynth would be similar and have as much functionality. I dig the Mopho but the menu diving drives me mad (and don't say use the editor because it's frustrating too).

Suggestions on similar synths? What I liked most about the Mopho was the flexibilty it had thanks to the DCO's. In the end I may try and just sell it to get the keyboard version of it tbh.

Mutable's Shruthi XT?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Radiapathy posted:

The Rocket's got a couple paraphonic tricks too.

I keep forgetting about the Rocket, which is a neat little synth in itself. In any case, paraphony is a nice trick to get multiple voices with just a single oscillator, and Dave Smith's Pro 2 paraphony trick is actually pretty slick. Each paraphonic voice has its own envelope so it's a pretty sly way to getting close to real polyphony.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anae posted:

Mutable's Shruthi XT?

I was actually just remembering this. It would be a great replacement and lots of knobs.

I guess the only issue would actually be building it...

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

net work error posted:

I was actually just remembering this. It would be a great replacement and lots of knobs.

I guess the only issue would actually be building it...

You can buy them built from a list of 'trusted sellers' on their forums. More expensive, obviously.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So am I missing some giant music theory secret to having a bass lower than an F#? I can't get a synth to play nice below that in any meaningful way, even with a filter on it.

D# phrygian :argh:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So am I missing some giant music theory secret to having a bass lower than an F#? I can't get a synth to play nice below that in any meaningful way, even with a filter on it.

D# phrygian :argh:

I can guarantee that synths can play bass notes below F#. Maybe your monitors aren't able to produce frequencies that low? Have you considered getting a sub? Other than that, you can add some overtones to the bass and use psychoacoustics to beef up the bass.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
It's more that I know I'm after an F#, but F#0 comes out too low and F#1 comes out too high. I figure it's a thing with the patch but I have no idea.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Maybe try a G flat instead

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

renderful posted:

Maybe try a G flat instead

:golfclap:

But really, try transposing the bass line starting from the one note that's giving you trouble. Get that one right and then move the rest around.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

No, make the entire track an octave higher. And in double speed. Project samplerate 88.2kHz.

When you're completely finished, halve the playback rate.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Jokeposts aside, the problem actually was that I was an octave too low. Closing the filter, some multiband compression, and an octave up fixed the sound a bunch.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

net work error posted:

If you're not trying to get away from DSI, what about an Evolver? A lot of stuff is the same but it's way deeper and it's easier to program even with the matrix thing just cause everything's at most a shift key away. Way more flexibility too- it's got a bunch of Prophet VS waveforms on the digital oscillators, much more interesting distortion options, better sequencers, and the delays sound amazing.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Eh gently caress bass anyway. Prince didn't need it for "When Doves Cry", so neither do you.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I've been teetering on the Komplete sale; I used to use Massive and Absynth and didn't find them as interesting as FM8 which is my go-to VST, but I picked up Reaktor on sale a bit ago and after trying out Monark I need to pick up Komplete or Komplete Ultimate. I've tried a few other VAs like Diva or that Sylenth but I like Monark so, so much more and it's more or less sold me on the bundle.

Why did my idiot bird get sick two weeks ago and force me to spend five hundred bucks in vet bills :mad: I think I'll get Ultimate. For marginally more I can have everything I'd ever want, and I can just pick up a used Maschine cheap if I wanted to dick around with it.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 21, 2014

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

net work error posted:

I'd say go with the Mopho Keyboard at that point. It's pretty much exactly what you are describing to look for.

Struthi sounds good from the demos I've heard, but sounds very different from anything DSI.

Minibrute is good but it's not DCO's.

Evolver is great but honestly it seems like you are looking for a keyboard version of something, with knob-per-function style programming. And while I've seen MonoEvolver Keyboards go for around $800-900 used, it's more rare and that might be out of your price range.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I've tried a few other VAs like Diva or that Sylenth but I like Monark so, so much more and it's more or less sold me on the bundle.
Monark is rad as gently caress. Definitely my favorite bass synth.

You've already got Massive, FM8, Absynth, and Reaktor? (You've already basically paid for Komplete.)

Ultimate is the obvious way to go for you. For me the real stars of K9 Ultimate are the effects. Some really solid stuff there. But the Kontakt libraries K9U includes always come in handy.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Oldstench posted:

Eh gently caress bass anyway. Prince didn't need it for "When Doves Cry", so neither do you.

I once had a really frustrating and circuitous argument with a dude who insisted that Strings of Life simply could not be a house/techno track as it didn't have a definite clear bassline. He eventually conceded that maybe it could, but only if one considered the lower piano notes to be a bass substitute.

Bloody turbo-nerds and their need to over-categorise via strictly defined irrational criteria, I tell ya. :crossarms:

Radiapathy posted:

For me the real stars of K9 Ultimate are the effects. Some really solid stuff there.

:D

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Radiapathy posted:

Monark is rad as gently caress. Definitely my favorite bass synth.

You've already got Massive, FM8, Absynth, and Reaktor? (You've already basically paid for Komplete.)

Ultimate is the obvious way to go for you. For me the real stars of K9 Ultimate are the effects. Some really solid stuff there. But the Kontakt libraries K9U includes always come in handy.

No, I only tried them out and wrote a couple of songs with Absynth and Massive a few years back before deciding on purchasing FM8. I only own FM8 and Reaktor. I'll admit Ultimate interests me because it includes Razor and all those effets; I've always been lacking in the production department and maybe having a set of good effects will encourage me.

Last paycheque I had to pay for a vet bill, and my upcoming one is where I pay for my root canal. Maybe it's time to get around to selling some of my hardware :downs: If they didn't use UPS (just giving me a serial number so I could download what I want would make it a no-brainer) it'd be a lot easier making the decision whether to buy this or not since I'm looking at paying an extra 90 bucks or so on delivery :canada:

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 21, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Is it just me or is the Korg Volca Keys too "kind" in its sound? Like if it spoke a language it would speak French, in which even gore-metal sounds sweet?
(Yeah I should have not forgotten about the NanoZwerg.)

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Trade it for a volca bass. Between the osc detuning and the fitler it always sounds angry and slightly dangerous.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sizone posted:

it always sounds angry and slightly dangerous.

I've never heard a better argument for why you should buy a synth!

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

MrLonghair posted:

Is it just me or is the Korg Volca Keys too "kind" in its sound? Like if it spoke a language it would speak French, in which even gore-metal sounds sweet?
(Yeah I should have not forgotten about the NanoZwerg.)

Volca Keys sound pretty nasty on poly ring and unison ring mode :getin:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I got hung up on minutia again so I tossed my entire computer in a box in the closet and now just have an A4, a TB-3, and an iPad on my desk. Time to actually arrange something. :getin:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've had a similar mixer for the last 3 years - the Yamaha MG166C. It was an absolute steal compared to pretty much any other unit we saw in the price range, it lacks solo buttons but that's about it. Yamaha just always seem to nail being able to provide good quality gear at reasonable prices, their guitars were always the same too.

e: that's really weird, the MG12XU is more expensive than mine, despite mine being 16 channels. I lack the effects unit on board, but I can't see how they can value that above a chunk of extra inputs/busses. I must be overlooking something, but I can't work out what...

MG166C / MG166Cx are exactly what I'm looking for in a mixer.. dat console huge tho.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I got hung up on minutia again so I tossed my entire computer in a box in the closet and now just have an A4, a TB-3, and an iPad on my desk. Time to actually arrange something. :getin:
What do you use your ipad for?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Theoretically percussion/samples. Realistically, internet.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Xabi posted:

What do you use your ipad for?

loading your favorite tracks on youtube and sighing despondently

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Panda Time posted:

MG166C / MG166Cx are exactly what I'm looking for in a mixer.. dat console huge tho.

Ha it's pretty big but we got lucky and picked up a 10U rack with a 8U (I think) tilted mixer rack on top and it fits it absolutely perfectly. Having all the inputs along the top really helps for quick switchouts.

I looked at the feature/price difference in the UK between it and the 16 channel version of what WH has and I can't see enough difference to justify the extra cost for me. I guess it comes to whether the USB element is any good or if it's just a 2ch stereo connection.

Feel free to hit up any questions about the 166 though, although I'll admit half the time it's mainly used to separate audio output from various computers and route them to multiple pairs of speakers in our oddly laid out room!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sizone posted:

always sounds angry and slightly dangerous.
That's how I felt about my Microbrute, but eventually it started to sound like a one trick pony to me so I sold it and bought a Mininova which I'm a lot happier with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hey, Wayfinder, is this you? :)

Pretty trippy track.

I was on the MAZ Tracked Worx cds too as Cantaloup.