Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So the Galaxy Defenders KS ended. That was a fun watch, as instead of getting a huge 48 hour burst, they lost money. I think those early bird slots just really screwed them big time. In the end they decided to unlock all the goals to 300,000 (I think as an acknowledgement they messed up in the end as they really front loaded the KS) and apparently will give people the option to buy the last unlocked ones, which I am not crazy about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Only David Sirlin would have the temerity to ask an extra $40 for the box to keep your game in.

That said, I'm in at $200 unless we hit the stretch goals to get EX cards for each character.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'm curious about Yomi, but not $200 curious and my completionist instincts make that the only level I'd consider. Especially not with Galaxy Defenders just concluding and War ongoing. I'm also skeptical of its value comparison with BattleCON, although to be fair, BattleCON is kind of crazy full of stuff for the money.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
RE: Yomi there is one pretty major difference between the games as far as pricing goes. Yomi is not strictly a more expensive game to play. From what I understand, you buy a deck for 10 bucks and then you can play. With Indines you have to pay much more, but you get the whole game. If each character plays significantly differently, you can try out a character and try to get good with that character, and be able to play for much less than the cost of Indines. I don't think they can honestly be valued against each other because they use very different pricing schemes. If you could purchase a fighting video game just by purchasing one or two characters at two or three dollars apiece, would you still buy all the characters? I wouldn't, I'd just buy the ones I actually want to use. I could list maybe 5 characters max in any fighting game that I really want to use.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

signalnoise posted:

If you could purchase a fighting video game just by purchasing one or two characters at two or three dollars apiece, would you still buy all the characters? I wouldn't, I'd just buy the ones I actually want to use. I could list maybe 5 characters max in any fighting game that I really want to use.

The new Killer Instinct uses this model. You get the game and one character for free but have to pay per character for the rest.

The people who care about fighting games usually buy all the characters for a variety of reasons.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Now, let's be fair. The old Yomi pricing was that $25 got you 2 character decks, enough to play a match. For $100, you got the special deluxe collection which featured all 10 characters, play mats, and gems for HP tracking on the mats. This is mostly just an upscale of that, and if I hadn't decided to never give him money again*, I'd be tempted.

(*when he put up the Kickstarter for Puzzle Strike a month after I bought the edition it replaced from him at a con, and he made no mention of working on a new edition.)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

signalnoise posted:

If you could purchase a fighting video game just by purchasing one or two characters at two or three dollars apiece, would you still buy all the characters? I wouldn't, I'd just buy the ones I actually want to use. I could list maybe 5 characters max in any fighting game that I really want to use.

For a video game I would, because other people would buy the other ones and I wouldn't be fighting the same one or two matchups. However, if the only way you play is with your friends on a couch, you would want variety depending whoever your friends want to play as. I see it as the same thing with Yomi. If I could get my friends to buy one or two fighters a piece, then that would be great. Unfortunately, it usually doesn't work like that.

That said, I am going the completionist route with the Indines kickstarter and I simply don't think all of that awesome content will get used.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bosushi! posted:

The new Killer Instinct uses this model. You get the game and one character for free but have to pay per character for the rest.

The people who care about fighting games usually buy all the characters for a variety of reasons.

I assume it's because playing a local versus game uses a single account's assets, at least for a large percent of those reasons.

But fair enough, completionists are still completionists.

Rusty Kettle posted:

That said, I am going the completionist route with the Indines kickstarter and I simply don't think all of that awesome content will get used.

Yeah I am doing the same, despite having the sheer size of Devastation alone hammered into my brain as I make tuckboxes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

signalnoise posted:

Yeah I am doing the same, despite having the sheer size of Devastation alone hammered into my brain as I make tuckboxes.

Those tuckboxes make the game playable for me, since they pretty neatly organize EVERYTHING. And it looks spiffy.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Another of the Tabletop Deathmatch finalists, Pack the Pack! has launched their kickstarter. It's a game based around Inventory Tetris, getting items to fit in your bag.

Anyone who saw their episode: They've moved to dominoes with 4 color quadrants (and textures for the colorblind!) to match up next to each other.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 18, 2014

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

GrandpaPants posted:

Those tuckboxes make the game playable for me, since they pretty neatly organize EVERYTHING. And it looks spiffy.

I need to get some card stock so I can get started on making mine.

I'm still using the stock plastic insert and it just doesn't work.

signalnoise posted:

I assume it's because playing a local versus game uses a single account's assets, at least for a large percent of those reasons.

But fair enough, completionists are still completionists.

There's other reasons, mostly unique to a videogame, like testing out combos on characters who have different hit boxes, or experimenting with what moves counter other moves.

I wasn't trying to invalidate your main point, only that the videogame comparison, in this regard, isn't too apt. There's plenty of gameplay to be had with 2-4 characters in Yomi, but only a die hard character loyalist would refuse to buy all the characters in Killer Instinct and he'd be putting himself at a competitive disadvantage by doing so.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Harbour is a small worker placement game with only 1 worker per player. Your goal is to have the most VP/Prestige at the end of the game when a player builds his 4th building. You get VP by buying buildings. So you need to balance buying buildings fast and buying the more lucrative buildings. Money is gained by acquiring then selling resources, but the market fluctuates which means an expensive good might become cheap or vice versa. Each player plays a different character with a different ability.

This game is really cheap, if you back it now you get the game plus sleeves for the cards at $20 (+6 outside the US). From tomorrow it'll be $22 for both the game and the sleeves.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

signalnoise posted:

RE: Yomi there is one pretty major difference between the games as far as pricing goes. Yomi is not strictly a more expensive game to play. From what I understand, you buy a deck for 10 bucks and then you can play. With Indines you have to pay much more, but you get the whole game. If each character plays significantly differently, you can try out a character and try to get good with that character, and be able to play for much less than the cost of Indines. I don't think they can honestly be valued against each other because they use very different pricing schemes. If you could purchase a fighting video game just by purchasing one or two characters at two or three dollars apiece, would you still buy all the characters? I wouldn't, I'd just buy the ones I actually want to use. I could list maybe 5 characters max in any fighting game that I really want to use.

Of course I would buy all of them. The variety is a huge part of the appeal, and the expectation that you'll settle on a couple of characters to get good at is a huge part of why I don't play fighting games competitively (or MOBAs, for that matter). I mean, besides the fact that I suck at them.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Final 24 hours for the Dungeon Dice expansion. If you got the base game, it's $25 for the expansion, which has 40 something dice, new class dice, and of we make the goal, a transparent Gelatinous Cube.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/293287047/dungeon-dice-guilds

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So I just saw this failed Kickstarter and I'd like to post about it because it is amazing:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/knarrpress/legend-fantasy-rpg-in-the-world-of-thera

• $25,000 for an OGL reprint and some guy's 1980s homebrew setting
• Comic loving Sans
• "It is the next logical progression of the D20 SRD system currently used by RPGs such as Pathfinder and other Version 3.5 systems."
• "Legend combines the ability to story tell, so popular in games produced by companies such as White Wolf, with a set of cohesive updates to the D20 gaming system that permit open character development, improved non-combat skills and realistic combat."
• The $10 reward tier is "ADVENTURER -- You'll receive the same benefits as the Adventurer level plus a personally signed thank-you letter from the creators of Legend and the World of Thera."
• All the backer tiers are overpriced: $150 softcover tier, $1,000 for the chance to be a "creative consultant" on "the next update to the Thera World Book"
• "Sample Index Page" presented to entice people to buy the game
• Some stretch goals worth $5,000 are basically "we will enable print-on-demand at DTRPG"
• Creator claims to be "working with national sales sites such as OneBookShelf (...) in preparation for release, publication and fulfillment.", which is Incompetent Marketing Dickhead for "I've got a DTRPG account"
• "How Will the Kickstarter Funds Be Used?" pie chart claims an OGL knockoff will spend $4,000 on "Game Design"

It's like every other time an unwashed troglodyte emerged from their moldy basement, noticed that neckbeards throw thousands of dollars at Paizo for 3.5 in a beaglepuss and said "Yes, I can totally get some of that sweet bilking money", only with COMIC loving SANS.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ettin posted:

• The $10 reward tier is "ADVENTURER -- You'll receive the same benefits as the Adventurer level plus a personally signed thank-you letter from the creators of Legend and the World of Thera."
Well poo poo, that's a good deal for an infinite amount of signed thank you letters.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ettin posted:

It's like every other time an unwashed troglodyte emerged from their moldy basement, noticed that neckbeards throw thousands of dollars at Paizo for 3.5 in a beaglepuss and said "Yes, I can totally get some of that sweet bilking money", only with COMIC loving SANS.

How do you know something is fun and lighthearted if it's not in Comic Sans???

Anyway, Tiny Epic Defenders went from like $5k to $25k in the 30 minutes it took me to get to work, so I imagine that it will blow through a great many stretch goals. On the other hand, the game itself sounds resoundingly "meh," but I guess I'm not the biggest fan of co-op games.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ettin posted:

So I just saw this failed Kickstarter and I'd like to post about it because it is amazing:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/knarrpress/legend-fantasy-rpg-in-the-world-of-thera

• Comic loving Sans
• "It is the next logical progression of the D20 SRD system currently used by RPGs such as Pathfinder and other Version 3.5 systems."
• "Legend combines the ability to story tell, so popular in games produced by companies such as White Wolf, with a set of cohesive updates to the D20 gaming system that permit open character development, improved non-combat skills and realistic combat."
• All the backer tiers are overpriced: $150 softcover tier, $1,000 for the chance to be a "creative consultant" on "the next update to the Thera World Book"
• Some stretch goals worth $5,000 are basically "we will enable print-on-demand at DTRPG"
• Creator claims to be "working with national sales sites such as OneBookShelf (...) in preparation for release, publication and fulfillment.", which is Incompetent Marketing Dickhead for "I've got a DTRPG account"
• "How Will the Kickstarter Funds Be Used?" pie chart claims an OGL knockoff will spend $4,000 on "Game Design"

Laurasia and Gondwana hahahaha

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It always amuses me when a book uses "[Author] has been playing for 20+ and this campaign setting is 20+ years in the making" as a selling point and to establish the author's street cred. Restaurants are the only other industry I can think of where people regularly say "I enjoy consuming [product], so owning a [product] business is my dream." Even then, I've never seen "Joe Smith has been eating food for 40 years and cooking his own food for 30" in a restaurant advertisement.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

malkav11 posted:

Of course I would buy all of them. The variety is a huge part of the appeal, and the expectation that you'll settle on a couple of characters to get good at is a huge part of why I don't play fighting games competitively (or MOBAs, for that matter). I mean, besides the fact that I suck at them.

I can respect that. I mean, I am not going to go in on Yomi for only 2-4 characters myself, but like you guys said it's because of Other People to a large degree. My friends might play it, but they wouldn't buy it, so if I wanted to be able to present the game to them in a decent way I'd have to have all the characters for them to try.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Ettin posted:

I'm also annoyed that he uses the names of paleo-continents for his fantasy world, which is cool and fine, history is great to crib from, but does your map have to look like garbage?

S.J. posted:

Laurasia and Gondwana hahahaha

I know, how could he not use Rodinia, aka "The Motherland?" :coal:

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 19, 2014

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Ettin posted:

• Comic loving Sans

I'm not sure which prospect is more harrowing, that there are multiple terrible Pathfinder retroclones named Legend or that I might have accidentally helped these people playtest their game. I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WOULD BE COMIC SANS

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Mince Pieface posted:

I'm not sure which prospect is more harrowing, that there are multiple terrible Pathfinder retroclones named Legend or that I might have accidentally helped these people playtest their game. I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WOULD BE COMIC SANS

If you're talking about the Legend I think you are (did it have a Kickstarter to commission art for the book?), then that's definitely not the one linked earlier.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
There are two different games called Legend.
One's by Mongoose and is a genericized version of Runequest II, and the other is by Rule of Cool and is a rebalanced version of 3e designed by optimizers (that's the one that had a Kickstarter).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

zachol posted:

One's by Mongoose and is a genericized version of Runequest II, and the other is by Rule of Cool and is a rebalanced version of 3e designed by optimizers (that's the one that had a Kickstarter).

There's three if you count the failed Kickstarter that started this conversation.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

zachol posted:

Are you sure it's not a third Legend?

I mean, the second one - Rule of Cool - seems to have quite a following on a few boards, and I'd be shocked that I saw nothing on those boards about kickstarting it.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Xelkelvos posted:

It looks like a slightly more complex Munchkin. Is this assessment correct?

I've heard it's closer to D&D than Munchkin. I've been on the fence about buying a drinking quest game for over a year now though, so I'm backing it. We're half way to the cloth map stretch goal!

edit: It's a few days since the original post, so for the record it's about Drinking Quest, a card based RPG and a drinking game rolled into one.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Rule of Cool Legend definitely had an art/layout/etc Kickstarter when they were wrapping up the core book. It was kind of a while ago, and the devs have been pretty quiet while they work on the monster book.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
This seems like a great time to pitch my own game, Legernd. You play as avatars of Lord High Beaujeaux and venture into the ruins of the City to pilfer from the poor and to defeat the minions of the vile Redkin.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

zachol posted:

Rule of Cool Legend definitely had an art/layout/etc Kickstarter when they were wrapping up the core book. It was kind of a while ago, and the devs have been pretty quiet while they work on the monster book.

Speaking of which, they still owe me my "Yell At The Devs" card.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

The height of irony.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

7thBatallion posted:

Final 24 hours for the Dungeon Dice expansion. If you got the base game, it's $25 for the expansion, which has 40 something dice, new class dice, and of we make the goal, a transparent Gelatinous Cube.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/293287047/dungeon-dice-guilds

I had no idea this was a thing but this got me in at the 69 dollar level, great concept and my group will adore it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Weirdo posted:

I'm also annoyed that he uses the names of paleo-continents for his fantasy world, which is cool and fine, history is great to crib from, but does your map have to look like garbage?

Also the creators just did a Dan Davenport interview (spoilers if you haven't seen one before: milquetoast "so tell us about your game!" questions for two hours), and there was one gem the KS doesn't have in the tedium:

quote:

<+Paul> The Southern continenent in this incarnation is still a work in progress… but in older version's of Thera they had terraforming and space travel capabilities…
<+Paul> That dosen't mean that this incarnation will stay the same.
<~Dan> If you were to keep that, my first question would be what keeps them from steamrolling over everybody else? :)
<+Paul> It's roughly akin to the Gor series of books by John Norman (if you can even find them anymore)... The powerful southern continent culture felt responsible for maintaining the world – yet allowing inhabitants free will.
<+Paul> Basically... they are like parents!

Gor: Like parenting.

Anyway, it looks like they're taking another crack at it, but with a $7,500 goal. The draft is here; if you'd like to help them out with feedback, I highly recommend it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Gor: The White Man's Man's Burden.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

I've been in talks with D. Brad Talton about the BattleCON War Revised KS. He's making an appearance on my comedy troupe's podcast, and we've organized a fanfiction contest. (It's the one mentioned in the latest update).

We're looking for the "best" crossover fanfics that involve BattleCON and anything else. Talton will read whichever entries me and my other hosts decide are winners.

The deadline is midnight (CST) Tuesday the 24th, with the episode being streamed live that Thursday (time to be decided). Anyone thinking of entering?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Symetra, the really weird game, brought out a couple of videos.

There's a game overview and a playthrough of a single cycle (that's 3 rounds IIRC, a game has as many cycles as there are players, except in a 2p game which has 4). If you're still interested in this game even with the high shipping cost, then watch those to help you decide.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, there's a Kickstarter for a new Mystery Rummy game, Escape from Alcatraz, and you can buy reprint editions of the original 4 games as add-ons. The Kickstarter is being run by Eagle Games working with US Games Systems. The new game will come in the same style of box as the originals, and the reprints will use thinner cardstock. (Trust me, Al Capone will be much, much better on thinner cardstock; shuffling the original printing of that can break your hand.)

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

GrandpaPants posted:

Anyway, Tiny Epic Defenders went from like $5k to $25k in the 30 minutes it took me to get to work, so I imagine that it will blow through a great many stretch goals. On the other hand, the game itself sounds resoundingly "meh," but I guess I'm not the biggest fan of co-op games.

Speaking as a fan of co-op games, I also felt pretty meh about it on first glance. But I was bored and watched the review of a prototype being played, and it actually looked pretty good. I printed out the Print & Play components this evening, and was able to get a game in. It does feel pretty solid for what it is... Kind of a perfectly distilled to the basics co-op experience that reminded me a lot of Pandemic.

Given that it plays so quickly and everything is available for free, I recommend co-op fans trying it out.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Twoish days left on the barbarian miniatures kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1103158358/barbarian-horde

Some very cool miniatures got unlocked and also a tshirt which people care about for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maha Yodha is in its last 18 hours. I think it looks beautiful, the price is very reasonable ($35 with free shipping in the US for the game plus expansion), and it's cool to support a game that utilizes lore and artwork from India.

There are a couple of nice add-ons that I was tempted by, particularly the limited edition box, but I decided I couldn't quite justify $50 for a nice box.

There is a single stretch goal that got hit, that adds kick starter-exlusive content (six scrolls) to the expansion pack. Which is kind of bleh, I'd rather not see exclusive content, but it's a pretty minor thing compared to the scope of the rest of the game.

There is a print-and-play version you can download immediately, and the rules are also available for download, so you can check that out if you want to see what the gameplay is like before buying.

• Locked thread