Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Because if the public really wants to be accurate, the trucker stereotype they should have is of a skeezy Russian in a track suit and a third hand Volvo who is most assuredly not associated with organized crime in any way.

Wasn't part of the scare against NAFTA that our highways would be flooded with drunk Mexicans who are illiterate, driving rusty 50 year old trucks 20 mph under the limit, held together by bailing wire and duct tape, with cocaine stuffed the in the fuel tanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah but those guys ended up being pretty good truck drivers and they all live in riverside now.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah but those guys ended up being pretty good truck drivers and they all live in riverside now.

If they would stop throwing their toilet paper on the ground next to the toilets I'd have less of a problem with them.

digitalcamo posted:

Yea I just don't understand why. I see more professional looking truckers at truck stops than I do 700lb scum bags. I mean the requirements to even be a trucker are higher than most jobs anyway, I've never had to do fbi finger print checks until I became a trucker. But, I guess it's just ignorant human nature to see one scum bag trucker and then they got it made up in their mind that all truckers are idiots scum bags, and now after this story we're all sexual predators now. Just wish the general public had the sense to know that truckers keep America running.

There isn't that many kids getting into trucking, so the age of most truck drivers is getting up there. You tend to run out of piss and vinegar before 50. I see more rear end in a top hat 4wheelers at truckstops anymore, and they are just lucky as gently caress I don't have a bullrack, because I'd hit them with a hotshot the next time they piss all over the toilet seat. How hard is it to lift a loving toilet seat anyway?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Trucking is a bit annoying to get into since your first few years you're gonna get the shittiest loads because your DM gives all the good ones to the guys he's known for years. I can see someone going "gently caress this" after having their manager try to send them to Compton for the fifth time, or bitch them out for not making their monthly mile quota while not GIVING them enough work to make it, or whatfuckingever.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Most of the industry still doesn't pay fuckall, as well. It's a lot of work and a lot of risk for very little reward for the first decade.

I can't imagine it's going to get better either. In canada rather than raising wages, they've lobbied to loosen immigration for professional drivers. Drivers is right up there with doctors and welders for the fast track to residency now, i can see that happening in the US. Some of the frac crews out here now are entirely irish. A lot of the coast to coast guys are eastern european. A common joke is that if you want an easier job, put on a turban and jump in a gravel truck.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013
When I went into the trucking industry I figured truckers would be treated like kings since we were the ones paying all the bills. I was severely mistaken, these big companies treat their money makers as 3rd class citizens. And I really didn't like a college kid with a degree I'm basket weaving telling me how to do my job. Glad I found a tiny company that really do love the drivers, it's a I don't care what you do just get the job done, lovin it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

YF19pilot posted:

Wasn't part of the scare against NAFTA that our highways would be flooded with drunk Mexicans who are illiterate, driving rusty 50 year old trucks 20 mph under the limit, held together by bailing wire and duct tape, with cocaine stuffed the in the fuel tanks?

Too bad we already had that in redneck truckers.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Too bad we already had that in redneck truckers.

He said UNDER not OVER.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

He said UNDER not OVER.
Georgia Overdrive y'all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS00hb3zsVU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZe48yf2-Ws

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah the CHP was all "this guy is running two log books and was a complete cowboy!" Until they finished clearing the wreck and found the other body under the truck a couple of days later. Worse part of the video was the driver that filmed it didn't want it to be released or used, but CR England didn't honor the dude's wishes. Which is a dick move since it was filmed on his personal dashcam.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=104_1403063283

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYDbQYacPjI

ARE YOU FUCKIN' NUTS?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

It's really the music that makes that video.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hopefully the driver of the blue car was dragged into the street and fed trucker boot until consciousness and/or breathing ceased.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

Hopefully the driver of the blue car was dragged into the street and fed trucker boot until consciousness and/or breathing ceased.

I'm sorry, you meant "helped from his crashed car through the door window by his neck and CPR was performed by size 13 boot until his heart and breathing stabilized."

Stopped is stable right?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Hopefully that video helped everyone involved sue the owner of the blue car into bankruptcy.

E: from Facebook

Javid fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 20, 2014

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://youtu.be/9gSZdaZhZ4o

What the gently caress? over.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://youtu.be/9gSZdaZhZ4o

What the gently caress? over.

Why is he clutching after he's moving?

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

0rganDonor posted:

Most of the Euro trucks in game are 12 speed or more and I think all have syncro boxes that require single clutching and I assume that it carries over into the modded skins. You can mod other gear box option but I am unsure about removing the need for the clutch.

Check the thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562845

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

0rganDonor posted:

I wonder why they make the trucks act like they have a headache of a push all the time.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
A question for y'all truckers: when my dad was a trucker back in the early '70s, he'd get pulled over for having CB antennas mounted on the mirrors, because they made him overwidth. The mirrors didn't count, they were required safety equipment. Is that an actual thing you can get a ticket for, or mostly-ignored letter-of-the-law interpreted overly strictly by a cop looking for an excuse to pull him over so he could bust out the portable scales? I can't find it in the rules.

I wouldn't be surprised by the latter; Dad carried pipe for the local steel mill, and they played fast and loose with the silly little things like "maximum legal weight."

I did, however, find this. I'm sure there's a good reason, but I can't think of it.

§ 393.76: Sleeper berths posted:

(2) Shape. A sleeper berth installed on a motor vehicle on or after January 1, 1953 must be of generally rectangular shape, except that the horizontal corners and the roof corners may be rounded to radii not exceeding 10 1⁄2 inches.

Maybe to keep a car from getting between the sleeper and cab and sending your bedroom flying like a football?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Anything rounder than that would just be immoral decadence.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Probably just like the minimum mattress thickness, so they have a reason to enter the cab.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

A question for y'all truckers: when my dad was a trucker back in the early '70s, he'd get pulled over for having CB antennas mounted on the mirrors, because they made him overwidth. The mirrors didn't count, they were required safety equipment. Is that an actual thing you can get a ticket for, or mostly-ignored letter-of-the-law interpreted overly strictly by a cop looking for an excuse to pull him over so he could bust out the portable scales? I can't find it in the rules.

I wouldn't be surprised by the latter; Dad carried pipe for the local steel mill, and they played fast and loose with the silly little things like "maximum legal weight."

I did, however, find this. I'm sure there's a good reason, but I can't think of it.

Maybe to keep a car from getting between the sleeper and cab and sending your bedroom flying like a football?

It's gotta be bullshit since there are many trucks with the CB antennas coming out of the mirrors from the factory. The sleeper size is so that you can fit a human into it. There are legal things to make a legal sleeper since they tried doing weird poo poo like a coffinbox on the back of the cab and poo poo like that. Look at a GMC Cannonball.

Sometimes you get supercops that try doing stupid poo poo, like the guy who tried to have me hit my four way flashers on a pre-1962. There are all kinds of weird laws. Like drivers parrot "you can't have a firearm in the truck" when that's complete bullshit, you just have to follow the state you are in laws. Which one that cracks me up is that you can't have a round in the chamber in a rifle/shotgun, but you can in a pistol.

This is a pistol.

This is a rifle.

So many loving laws.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It gets better.

This

Is not a firearm

This

Is.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Serves you right for using black powder.

I should get two smokewagons and go to work.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

InterceptorV8 posted:

The sleeper size is so that you can fit a human into it.

Obviously, but the weird part isn't the size, it's the shape. HUMANS CANNOT SLEEP IF A CORNER IS TOO ROUND

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

This is a pistol.

That's a short barreled rifle...

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That's a wrist strap, not a shoulder stock. Gun laws == :fh: :fh: :fh: :fh:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Anything more loving retarded than the DOT has to be the ATF.

https://d2444os31gbwts.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/sig_brace-590x300.jpg

Not an SBR, it's still a pistol.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Anything more loving retarded than the DOT has to be the ATF

The BATFE is just an organization entirely made up of trolls. They'll wait until a bunch of those have been sold and reverse their decision forcing owners to turn them in if they don't have a registered SBR. See also: Akins Accelerator.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Anyone know what the going fuel surcharge rate is for this month? I'm crunching numbers.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Getting prices on school. I hope to continue my streak of poor life decisions.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
This isn't good, is it?

edit: attachment woes, trying imgur

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Honsy16
Mar 18, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Getting prices on school. I hope to continue my streak of poor life decisions.

Well, come on in and get a head start on the group therapy. Electroshock is on Thursdays.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Anyone know what the going fuel surcharge rate is for this month? I'm crunching numbers.

I've been running .52-.53 cents/mile from the brokerage (3PL) side of things. Also, please don't hate me I go out of my way to not be the guy that fucks drivers over.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

This isn't good, is it?

edit: attachment woes, trying imgur

Did you...what? Did you blow your engine and piss oil, or did you have a BBQ?

Totally TWISTED posted:

I've been running .52-.53 cents/mile from the brokerage (3PL) side of things. Also, please don't hate me I go out of my way to not be the guy that fucks drivers over.

Naw, that's good info. I was offered .46

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

His turbo is probably being held on by one bolt simultaneously causing it to soot, and distributing that soot around the drivers side of the engine.. That's just what the airflow does to it. With my mack i can put my arm out the window against the door at -40*C and it won't be cold.

Similar thing happened to me, but i have a black truck to start with.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Naw, that's good info. I was offered .46
Glad I could help. If anyone has other numbers they're interested in like rates for certain lanes I can see about that. Everything is logged at work so I can't exactly do a dump of every lane in America but I can get a few numbers if you have any specific questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Powershift posted:

His turbo is probably being held on by one bolt simultaneously causing it to soot, and distributing that soot around the drivers side of the engine.. That's just what the airflow does to it. With my mack i can put my arm out the window against the door at -40*C and it won't be cold.

Similar thing happened to me, but i have a black truck to start with.
Yeah, it was the turbo, at least that's part of the problem. We had the turbo fixed/replaced/something, but it was done at the dealer instead of the Cummins place because Cummins had a 2 week wait. It still has problems, because when regen is running the power drops a lot, and regen happens every 2 hours or sooner. At least now when doing a parked regen the engine and turbo sound like they are working, instead of just wheezing ineffectively for 45 minutes. The whole system is poo poo, but I'll be in a new truck by August so both I and my boss give no fucks. He wants to be rid of this Volvo more than I do.

I also just wanted to put a picture in a thread sort of about pictures.

• Locked thread