Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sonic fans being creepy fucks, more in news at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

BMS posted:

At the moment however, I'm more interested to know just why the gently caress Eggman decided to jump in on this.

Well, @BitchPenguin thought it would be a good idea to tell Pollock about this, as he is friendly with SuperPsyGuy. Unfortunately, it wasn't planned out very well. I won't defend what Pollock said, but bringing it to his attention was not a great move.

And trying to bully Pollock into believing the truth like some people I noticed was doing REALLY wasn't helping.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He is a semi-popular LPer, mainly due to sucking up to internet celebrities.

He's been around in the gutters of the internet since before LP was a thing. His main claim to fame is his website, where he produces lovely webcomics, lovely podcasts, and hosts other people's webcomics.

I followed his stuff back when I was a dumb kid in high school, but I never knew he was this bad. :smith:

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SlothfulCobra posted:

His main claim to fame is his website, where he produces lovely webcomics, lovely podcasts, and hosts other people's webcomics.

God damnit. I knew better than to click that poo poo.

Sure enough, Donation page, "testimonials", and AWESOME SAMPLES OF ANIME BABE WALLPAPERS (or avatars or something...not 100% certain, and I'm not finding out), ONLY AVAILABLE TO "EXCLUSIVE" MEMBERS! Coincidentally, :10bux: Hmmm, SA upgrade, or Exclusive WAHPAH or whatever content. Where's a coin to flip. (I chose beer instead).

edit: because I find it oddly appropriate :psyduck: :psypop:

BMS fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 16, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I read the last couple of pages, and I think I'll go pursue video game related escapism in one of the other threads instead :saddowns:.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

SlothfulCobra posted:

I followed his stuff back when I was a dumb kid in high school, but I never knew he was this bad. :smith:

That's a really common narrative. Practically everyone I know, and everyone who's chimed in on this without being a giant pedo-defending rear end in a top hat, thought he was the last word in humor when they were like freshmen in high school. I think that's where he gets this idea that he's a really big deal; back when everyone on the internet was in high school, he was.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

About all I remember about him is that he had a sprite comic where he had a female character named "Jen" who was, more often than not, a black-colored, much-more-naked Tails (she didn't even have the luxury of shoes/gloves like Tails does). I believe it was the fan character of an actual female friend of his, too, not somebody he came up with entirely on his own. I'd have assumed she just felt like having a character like that beforehand, but after hearing some of these accounts, I have to question if that's actually the case.

Also recall some Flash animation where he and some friends say random words like "galloshes". For some reason, that has stuck with me over the years, despite me not watching said animation in around a decade.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Man, I am so glad I never even touched anything Sonic related, let alone looked at it.

There should be a PSA out there for parents to not let their kids get into the fandom, but that may be too harsh.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Shadow Hog posted:

About all I remember about him is that he had a sprite comic where he had a female character named "Jen" who was, more often than not, a black-colored, much-more-naked Tails (she didn't even have the luxury of shoes/gloves like Tails does). I believe it was the fan character of an actual female friend of his, too, not somebody he came up with entirely on his own. I'd have assumed she just felt like having a character like that beforehand, but after hearing some of these accounts, I have to question if that's actually the case.

Also recall some Flash animation where he and some friends say random words like "galloshes". For some reason, that has stuck with me over the years, despite me not watching said animation in around a decade.

Oh my god I remember this :gonk: Some webcomic guy I used to read like ten years ago partnered with his site, and instead of the normal comic, the artist I read started solely doing lovely sprite comics featuring himself and this guy's characters. I also remember that Jen character eventually getting a human form which looked exactly like what you'd expect from him. I think between that and Dominic Deegan or whatever was when I gave up on webcomics altogether from sheer disgust.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shadow Hog posted:

The audio for that flash was actually a pre-existing comedy sketch. Search for Bulbous Bouffant on Youtube.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

The audio for that flash was actually a pre-existing comedy sketch. Search for Bulbous Bouffant on Youtube.
Oh, good, I can feel safe in still finding that thing amusing, without worrying about supporting this guy in any capacity.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hmmm, let's see, a change of pace. Let's see what our old pal GAMINGO is up to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnsiUWLJOsU

WATCH THE gently caress OUT EMINEM.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You know the funniest thing about the Psyguy video? Dude doesn't even record his own gameplay. I remember he actually literally put out a call for people to submit gameplay footage for them to talk over. Like, he misunderstood a fundamental part of Let's Play.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

watho posted:

In some not depresing-as-hell news, chuggaaconroy's LP of Xenoblade Chronicles began the other day and the game looks pretty drat interesting. It's been a while since I watched his videos but he's one of the few people who I can say really deserve to make a living out of their LPs because he has some fantastic production values and really does his research.

Has he at some point stopped stretching 4:3 video to 16:9? Because I can't call that high production values no matter how spiffy his editing is.

I've never understood people who stretch images to fill the screen. Is it the dreaded black bars?

E: And nope, still looks like this:

See those round things in the corners? They're supposed to be circles you heathen aaahhhhh

I am incredibly anal about aspect ratios.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 18, 2014

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Amppelix posted:

I've never understood people who stretch images to fill the screen. Is it the dreaded black bars?

There's actually moments where I prefer the black bars. I've seen some pretty wacky things done to prevent those from appearing! Like showing parts of the screen, except a different color, or blurred out. To me, it's just really annoying, and distracts from the video.

Although, maybe that was the intended effect. I could use a distraction from the screeching scarecam.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Amppelix posted:

Has he at some point stopped stretching 4:3 video to 16:9? Because I can't call that high production values no matter how spiffy his editing is.

E: And nope, still looks like this:

See those round things in the corners? They're supposed to be circles you heathen aaahhhhh

I am incredibly anal about aspect ratios.

Though to be fair that looks like Mario Party 4. I remember from Pokecap's thread that this one has a stupid abnormal aspect ratio anyway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RSCNyx posted:

There's actually moments where I prefer the black bars. I've seen some pretty wacky things done to prevent those from appearing! Like showing parts of the screen, except a different color, or blurred out. To me, it's just really annoying, and distracts from the video.

Although, maybe that was the intended effect. I could use a distraction from the screeching scarecam.

Oh wow, that video was more awful than I would imagine.

How'd you find it so quickly? It's only a day old.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

To be clear, I don't dislike black bars at all and I don't know why some people do. Black is the most neutral thing ever, why would it be distracting?

Earnestly posted:

Though to be fair that looks like Mario Party 4. I remember from Pokecap's thread that this one has a stupid abnormal aspect ratio anyway.

See, this is what I mean when I say I'm incredibly anal about aspect ratios. That immediately jumps at me as wrong looking, while most people, like you here, are none the wiser and probably not bothered at all.

Example screenshot:

Although, you're right, those aren't circles at all even in the proper ratio! :argh:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Amppelix posted:

Although, you're right, those aren't circles at all even in the proper ratio! :argh:

That's because to Mario Party 4 the proper resolution is 580x480.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh wow, that video was more awful than I would imagine.

How'd you find it so quickly? It's only a day old.

I usually sort videos by upload date, and his just happened to be up there.

And yeah, I totally agree! I think black bars are fine. If anything, you could use the bars to show game-related information you may not be able to go over in an LP.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

RSCNyx posted:

I hate that poo poo, too. I can understand some kind of little border that's not too distracting, but poo poo like this is loving annoying. For context, that is an old friend of mine who used to be popular-ish but now gets like no views and is always reminding people to fund him on Patreon because he has a kid now and still wants to do YouTube full time. He made a gaming channel which was bad, and would do poo poo like that on the sides.

Also, I got about 3 minutes into that Sonic video somehow, and then noticed I had about 12 to go. Yeah, no.

As far as decent border stuff, there's a Pokémon player I follow who puts both his and his opponent's teams in a thing, as well as which Pokémon are still alive, any status conditions, etc. It's pretty nice. Also I saw this TAS which, for an RPG, shows off lots of information on the sides, which I thought was decently done.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

heytallman posted:

I hate that poo poo, too. I can understand some kind of little border that's not too distracting, but poo poo like this is loving annoying. For context, that is an old friend of mine who used to be popular-ish but now gets like no views and is always reminding people to fund him on Patreon because he has a kid now and still wants to do YouTube full time. He made a gaming channel which was bad, and would do poo poo like that on the sides.

It's one of the more common ones. I agree, it's really obnoxious.

Don't worry, I lasted less than a minute on that video, because the border combined with the voice acting was just too much for me. Sorry about your friend, though, and I'm hoping he has an alternate source of income for the kid.

I know it was brought up before, but I think that shows just how dangerous making a living on YouTube can be. Just as easily as you can get a rather large audience, you can lose it quickly over time. Then you have things like AdBlock to deal with, and you can suddenly find it difficult to get by.

Samtron75v1
May 8, 2012

RSCNyx posted:

I know it was brought up before, but I think that shows just how dangerous making a living on YouTube can be. Just as easily as you can get a rather large audience, you can lose it quickly over time. Then you have things like AdBlock to deal with, and you can suddenly find it difficult to get by.

Whenever I hear about people trying to make YouTube their job I just have to stop and think what exactly they are thinking. It's such a volatile source of income even today, and what is gonna happen five, ten, twenty years down the road? They can't keep that boat afloat forever. They can't exactly retire with a pension even if they were making the equivalent of a minimum wage job from ad-revenue. It's worked for a few people, it can't work for everyone. It would be like going into music expecting to be able to live the rest of your life off of the pittance you scrape in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samtron75v1 posted:

Whenever I hear about people trying to make YouTube their job I just have to stop and think what exactly they are thinking. It's such a volatile source of income even today, and what is gonna happen five, ten, twenty years down the road? They can't keep that boat afloat forever. They can't exactly retire with a pension even if they were making the equivalent of a minimum wage job from ad-revenue. It's worked for a few people, it can't work for everyone. It would be like going into music expecting to be able to live the rest of your life off of the pittance you scrape in.

I think they just figure that it's easy. Making LPs is something that can be done (naked, if you so wish) in front of your computer at odd hours of the evening. Even for other YouTube video content, you work mostly on your own schedule and there's very little cost that goes into the initial content; most LPers can get away with a mic, editing software, and the games, while vloggers add on a camera that can film at least in 720p.

What they don't see is the sheer amount of effort that's needed to actually keep up with it. Daniel Hardcastle has talked about it a few times, and he literally does not take breaks. He gets usually about one vacation per year, because otherwise he has to spend every single day working in order to keep up the pace. And that's for the ones who are actually successful and can sustain themselves on their video content; most who attempt will fail entirely or have to supplement it with a "real job".

It's sort of a childlike view of it, thinking that they can just make money off of what they do right now when they're unemployed as long as they record themselves screaming when they do it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chitoryu12 posted:

It's sort of a childlike view of it, thinking that they can just make money off of what they do right now when they're unemployed as long as they record themselves screaming when they do it.

It's the purest form of the American Dream, distilled and refined for the new generation. :patriot:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

chitoryu12 posted:

Making LPs is something that can be done (naked, if you so wish) in front of your computer at odd hours of the evening.

"Dead to Rights" is just the code word Slowbeef and Diabetus use to signal that the recording is over and to get redressed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dead to Tight(ie Whitie)s

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So...I'm not sure if this is the place to talk about it, but Phil Fish is causing a stir again(apologies for using Gamespot) by complaining about how LP money/ad revenue should mostly go to the developers. This isn't much of anything new but it seems to have caused a big debacle.

If I'm mentioning this in the wrong topic please direct me to a more appropriate one.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

All I know is that Chuggaaconroy's Xenoblade LP convinced my little brother to go out and get his own copy of the game. As far as I care, that makes it worthwhile.

It's a pretty decent LP from what I've seen, too. I can only imagine how insane the amounts of research it'd require to plan out a 100% sidequest run like he's doing, however; Xenoblade has a drat lot of filler sidequests, and several that permanently expire after certain plot events.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Shadow Hog posted:

All I know is that Chuggaaconroy's Xenoblade LP convinced my little brother to go out and get his own copy of the game. As far as I care, that makes it worthwhile.

It's a pretty decent LP from what I've seen, too. I can only imagine how insane the amounts of research it'd require to plan out a 100% sidequest run like he's doing, however; Xenoblade has a drat lot of filler sidequests, and several that permanently expire after certain plot events.

It's gotten a lot of people to buy the game. Most of his LPs cause a lot of people to find out about and buy the games he's doing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

HGH posted:

So...I'm not sure if this is the place to talk about it, but Phil Fish is causing a stir again(apologies for using Gamespot) by complaining about how LP money/ad revenue should mostly go to the developers. This isn't much of anything new but it seems to have caused a big debacle.

If I'm mentioning this in the wrong topic please direct me to a more appropriate one.

I know he's a trigger word around here, but TotalBiscuit put up a video today that responded to this and did a fairly decent job of hitting the points regarding all this nonsense.

Would this be an appropriate thread for things like review/critique videos, or is there a better place for those kinds of things?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Jamesman posted:

I know he's a trigger word around here, but TotalBiscuit put up a video today that responded to this and did a fairly decent job of hitting the points regarding all this nonsense.

Would this be an appropriate thread for things like review/critique videos, or is there a better place for those kinds of things?
I dunno if he's a trigger word or not on here, but Jim Sterling also put forth his two cents.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Indie game developer is a pretentious douche; sun is hot; news at 11.

I have played several videogames that I otherwise would never have even considered, just because I saw an LP and it looked interesting. From a marketing perspective, someone like PDP or Markeplier LPing your game has got to be loving fantastic. To suggest that an LP is taking your videogame sales revenue is to suggest that your game is so boring, so not a game, that a youtube video is an adequate substitute. Fez is better than that. Most games are better than that. Nobody looks at an LP of something like Fez and says "I was going to buy this, but now that there's an LP, I don't need to."

Fish's argument is so stupid that I doubt it was worth my time to write this simple response.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Depends on the game, really. If someone does a 100% run of an adventure game there is no real reason to buy it yourself since playing it yourself doesn't really add anything.

Phil Fish is an rear end in a top hat tho.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Nobody looks at an LP of something like Fez and says "I was going to buy this, but now that there's an LP, I don't need to."

Fish's argument is so stupid that I doubt it was worth my time to write this simple response.

I watched an LP of Fez and had that exact thought. That's kind of an exception to how I normally feel, but I preferred watching someone else play it, and now that I've seen the LP there's no need for me to buy it and play through it myself.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Not Grover posted:

I watched an LP of Fez and had that exact thought. That's kind of an exception to how I normally feel, but I preferred watching someone else play it, and now that I've seen the LP there's no need for me to buy it and play through it myself.

You are ruining the games industry. How do you feel about yourself?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Suspicious Dish posted:

You are ruining the games industry. How do you feel about yourself?

Worse yet, he's ruining the indie games industry! It is our most sacred and precious national resource. Think of all the Kickstarters you have ended by your apathy, you monster.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

Worse yet, he's ruining the indie games industry! It is our most sacred and precious national resource. Think of all the Kickstarters you have ended by your apathy, you monster.

But who will save video games then?! Who I ask you?!!

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Not Grover posted:

My interpretation of that is that Fez was never worth actually playing in the first place, as you've gotten everything you wanted from that piece of interactive media without any interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cooked Auto posted:

But who will save video games then?! Who I ask you?!!

I don't know, but if you throw at least $50 in to kickstart my open world zombie survival game with crafting elements and the option to play as a zombie instead of respawning I will name an NPC after you!

• Locked thread