Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Rooney and sturridge cannot be on the same pitch and that means dropping rooney imo

drop sturridge imo, rooney has played the best club football of his career when hes the main striker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Woy should pick some actual wingers. Doesn't matter if they're poo poo, just that they have a decent idea what they should be doing. Then everyone else will play better.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Lastronaut posted:

I thought Cahill had a good game, but being in such a position in a game that ends up in defeat, he barely got mentioned in the analysis.

Cahill is England's most underrated player, he's so good. Jags however...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I eagerly await the "filmed today to be current" scene added to tomorrow's EastEnders about this game

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

For some reason I share the same hopeless optimism for Englands chances of finishing 2nd as I did about Sunderland staying up with 6 games to go.

Stranger things have happened you know?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

TelekineticBear! posted:

drop sturridge imo, rooney has played the best club football of his career when hes the main striker

For all the Lampard chat of 'if he had a different name Rooney would be lauded', Rooney is still a weight around England's neck. A team built for team play without the 1/100,000,000 effort he slots in will be much better than it is now

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
what is England's "golden generation"?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Who's idea was it to have the ads full of england starts right after the match lmao

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Cahill is on something like 70 games and has played spectacularly and deserves to be England's player of the tournament as well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Beckham,Gerrard, Lampard, cole, Ferdinand, terry, Owen, butt?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cahill has been absolutely fantastic.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

Beckham,Gerrard, Lampard, cole, Ferdinand, terry, Owen, butt?

Neville I guess

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

That team wot beat the krauts 5-1

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Mainly Heskey

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Yeah our best players of the whole tournament have been cahill, jagielka and sterling. It just sucks that the midfield let them down so badly at both ends (also baines and johnson)

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

would've been 5-1 if Cahill hadn't played so beautifully

and by beautifully I mean taking a hundred shots to the face, but there ya go

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 19, 2014

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Carrier posted:

Yeah our best players of the whole tournament have been cahill, jagielka and sterling. It just sucks that the midfield let them down so badly at both ends (also baines and johnson)

Sturridge has been very good if you ask me, the only player that's looked dangerous when the ball comes to him around the box.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I will be so hosed off if Hodgson is forced out over this as well. He's been brave to trust in the relative youth and inexperience of Sterling and Barkley and Lallana but I'd rather this than watch Lampard get outrun by a tumbleweed in 2022

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Bland posted:

Sturridge has been very good if you ask me, the only player that's looked dangerous when the ball comes to him around the box.

Tbh, him and Sterling both looked good in the first game but pretty mediocre in the second I thought, neither had much service though tbf (ha ha).

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Tortuga posted:

Mainly Heskey

He gets compared to shite like Altidore but Emily Ivanhoe heskey was fantastic at being a limited striker with poo poo pace

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Total Meatlove posted:

I will be so hosed off if Hodgson is forced out over this as well. He's been brave to trust in the relative youth and inexperience of Sterling and Barkley and Lallana but I'd rather this than watch Lampard get outrun by a tumbleweed in 2022

Has he gently caress been brave, Steven Gerrard has played 180 minutes of football for England at the World Cup.

Lastronaut
Oct 18, 2006

Monday Bandele posted:

Cahill is England's most underrated player, he's so good. Jags however...

Yeah, he was obviously to blame for the first goal for dropping so deep instead of holding the line, simple stuff really.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Charlotte Hornets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BNkO9l318o

This game happened and England thought they were on the cusp of something amazing.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Carrier posted:

Tbh, him and Sterling both looked good in the first game but pretty mediocre in the second I thought, neither had much service though tbf (ha ha).

Sturridge came alive in the last twenty minutes or so tonight but agreed otherwise. Sterling's one trick was found out halfway through the first game.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Bland posted:

Has he gently caress been brave, Steven Gerrard has played 180 minutes of football for England at the World Cup.

Brave, not suicidal. Our front three was Roomey ( played out of position, and look at the press that got) Sturridge upfront and Welbeck with Sterling or Barkley in behind. Capello wouldn't have touched that front four with a barge pole.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Brony Car posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BNkO9l318o

This game happened and England thought they were on the cusp of something amazing.

england havent even been close to playing this well since but the effect this game had was incredible and I imagine everyone of a certain age remembers it vividly, you could even buy the DVD in marks and spencer ffs

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

TelekineticBear! posted:

england havent even been close to playing this well since but the effect this game had was incredible and I imagine everyone of a certain age remembers it vividly, you could even buy the DVD in marks and spencer ffs

The difference being that Germany took that loss as a wake up call and revamped their side and we're still playing Gerrard

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Sterling is going to end up like SWP, and I'm not convinced Barkley is any more promising than Joe Cole.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

TelekineticBear! posted:

Yeah i was on holiday in Fanø, denmark and i was absolutely gutted

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013
England's coming home, thank goodness. PU, what's that smell? It's not the favelas, it's the England men's national football team. It's OK, they'll be off soon. Adeus e boa noite, inglaterra.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Tortuga posted:

Sterling is going to end up like SWP, and I'm not convinced Barkley is any more promising than Joe Cole.

:lol: gently caress off. Sterling has already shown end product and his directness will help Liverpool next season and Bsrkley will score 10+

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Total Meatlove posted:

The difference being that Germany took that loss as a wake up call and revamped their side and we're still playing Gerrard

Germany have won nothing since then either

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Ravel posted:

Their golden generation amounting to nothing but a Meuller goal scoring record would be sweet I agree.

Lastronaut
Oct 18, 2006

Carrier posted:

Baines for me was awful first half, he seemed so off the pace, getting caught on the ball... he just seemed so slow to react. I believe he has so much quality in his position but was a let down tonight. He whipped in a few good balls but that was about it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ravel posted:

I didn't realise how long it was since Germany last won anything.

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.
Goondolences England fans but it's not over have a little faith it can still find its way home.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Lastronaut posted:

Baines for me was awful first half, he seemed so off the pace, getting caught on the ball... he just seemed so slow to react. I believe he has so much quality in his position but was a let down tonight. He whipped in a few good balls but that was about it.

There were a couple of occasions where he could have beaten his man and gone to the byline to ship a cross but pussied out and kept possession by passing back to Rooney or Welbeck in a congested midfield. Needs,game time and confidence I think.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
lol

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ravel posted:

They've gotten closer and been more pleasing to the eye, though. If England played like Germany has managed to, I don't think many of you would be as upset as you are right now.

This is probably meant for a different thread, but I wonder if a big part of it is management. This tournament is supposedly Jogi Low's last chance too, so it's not like the Germans are satisfied either. Maybe Germany needed another Beckenbauer to give those German players the right amount of fight to back up all the great technical skill.

England seems constantly hampered by the same politics and massive, self-destructive pressure where the manager isn't really able to make the brave calls a manager needs to make to succeed (or at least fail admirably).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Northern Irish Liverpool fan here. England need some perspective. Italy were runners up in the last Euros, and Uruguay won theirs. However the following are either not good enough, or past it and should have no future for England:

Gerrard
Jagielka
Baines
Rooney
Welbeck

And especially Hodgson. Hodgson is a charlatan.

I would add Johnson to the list but I still can't think of anyone better, except Jon Flanagan.

My team either vs Costa Rica (if already out) or after the competition:

Hart
Johnson Cahill Jones Shaw

Henderson x

Sterling Barkley Lallana

Sturridge

It's late, not sure who to put in position x...

• Locked thread