Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

If you're sick of focus groups, why not tell the company that? I had one transcription company consistently send me bad audio, probably because I kept accepting it. When I asked them to (politely) cut it out, I started getting better quality audio from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Huh, maybe it's worth a shot. I hardly get any files from them at all anymore though, since I work full-time now and only occasionally request a little time here and there just to stay on their books for the hell of it. So I don't like to be picky. I kind of hoped it might just happen naturally, seeing as they have given me positive feedback on other things, but my focus groups go to poo poo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Shima Honnou posted:

It's nothing compared to the previous one, which had poo poo audio quality, more crosstalk, words that you could barely hear, and they were outside and kept talking during poo poo like low-flying planes interrupting the shot.

It was also twice as long as the Iron Chef video.

I finished the Iron Chef video test. I took me 2.5 hours to do 7 minutes of video including editing and time coding. If I were getting paid for that, I would have earned less than 2 dollars an hour at their 70 cent rate. When I turned it in I had 2 minutes left on the 24 hour deadline.

I honestly want to punch Kevin Brauch and Alton Brown in the face about 50 times.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

I finished the Iron Chef video test. I took me 2.5 hours to do 7 minutes of video including editing and time coding. If I were getting paid for that, I would have earned less than 2 dollars an hour at their 70 cent rate. When I turned it in I had 2 minutes left on the 24 hour deadline.

I honestly want to punch Kevin Brauch and Alton Brown in the face about 50 times.

Good news is, if you get the job, you'll get better at it. I'm up to 15-20 minutes/hour by hand for a decent video; albeit a lot less for a bad one with poo poo audio, or multiple people/constantly talking over each other, or lovely conditionals that I have to follow in the actual process of transcribing it.

The good news is that you get to pick how many minutes of footage you're likely to receive, the bad news is that if you want to turn a half decent paycheck you need to get good enough to handle ~60 or more minutes on a daily basis.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

Huh, maybe it's worth a shot. I hardly get any files from them at all anymore though, since I work full-time now and only occasionally request a little time here and there just to stay on their books for the hell of it. So I don't like to be picky. I kind of hoped it might just happen naturally, seeing as they have given me positive feedback on other things, but my focus groups go to poo poo.

If you don't say anything, at best they'll think you don't mind doing focus groups and likely keep giving them to you, at worst you'll be remembered for turning in bad work. There's nothing wrong with turning down work that's not worth your time or sanity. It's like a constant tug of war sometimes.

vvv also a good point.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 17, 2014

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

AuntBuck posted:

There's nothing wrong with turning down work that's not worth your time or sanity.

I agree--if there's a sane amount of notice!

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I agree--if there's a sane amount of notice!

Ding ding.

EDIT: Seriously, if they tell you 'get back to us at xyz time,' get back to them at xyz time. My biggest problem with DT, hilariously, is that there are times that they've given me deadlines that I've told them I can't meet because of a weekend office job.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 17, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Old Boot posted:

Ding ding.

EDIT: Seriously, if they tell you 'get back to us at xyz time,' get back to them at xyz time. My biggest problem with DT, hilariously, is that there are times that they've given me deadlines that I've told them I can't meet because of a weekend office job.

Lately they've been giving me stuff due at noon (my time). So I either have to get up earlier than I like, or pull double-duty on certain days to get stuff out. Bit of a pain, but eh, could be worse. Still, I've love to be back on the "Due by 8pm PST/EOD" train of fun times and happiness.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I actually got a "due by EoD" file just now. The urge to procrastinate until tomorrow is strong.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
EoDs I'll generally save until day of since they don't present that much of a problem with my availability (I'm most commonly available and open in the afternoon) and would rather use the preceding days for more pressing items.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I'm confused why HR keeps sending out those emails urging us to take on more work. I didn't even get an assignment from DT today.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I'm confused why HR keeps sending out those emails urging us to take on more work. I didn't even get an assignment from DT today.

I haven't gotten any work over the weekend, although admittedly I was ill enough on Friday that I had to cancel something that was due on Saturday (Although Sally seemed pretty amicable about that). If I don't have anything assigned to me by midday tomorrow I'll probably ask if there's any spare work sitting around still.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Yeah, it sounded like it was going to be all hands on deck for a while and nothing showed up in my inbox yesterday.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Spartan421 posted:

Yeah, it sounded like it was going to be all hands on deck for a while and nothing showed up in my inbox yesterday.

Shima Honnou posted:

I haven't gotten any work over the weekend, although admittedly I was ill enough on Friday that I had to cancel something that was due on Saturday (Although Sally seemed pretty amicable about that). If I don't have anything assigned to me by midday tomorrow I'll probably ask if there's any spare work sitting around still.

Oh, thank God. After that clusterfuck on Friday/Saturday, I thought maybe I was being passed over for important work or something.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I was actually secretly hoping not to get the 30 mins I requested today, so I could spend that time training and calibrating my new copy of Dragon. :ssh:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Ahh, good, got a work order, let's see what we've got here.

Ahh, wonderful, that reality show I hate transcribing. At least it's just about an hour instead of feature length this time, surely it can't be that bad! :shepicide:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Shima Honnou posted:

Ahh, good, got a work order, let's see what we've got here.

Ahh, wonderful, that reality show I hate transcribing. At least it's just about an hour instead of feature length this time, surely it can't be that bad! :shepicide:

I know which one you're talking about now. I actually didn't mind it so much, but it's mostly because the audio quality isn't bad, and I don't have to rewind nearly as often.

Still, don't worry, you'll start getting faster over time, and it's good practice. Just suffer like the rest of us, and tell yourself that this is a stepping stone, nothing more.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Old Boot posted:

I know which one you're talking about now. I actually didn't mind it so much, but it's mostly because the audio quality isn't bad, and I don't have to rewind nearly as often.

Still, don't worry, you'll start getting faster over time, and it's good practice. Just suffer like the rest of us, and tell yourself that this is a stepping stone, nothing more.

This time around I got either a super soft talker, or the crew put the mic way closer to the interviewer than the interviewee and it really shows. It could be a lot worse though; like I've said, one of these guys I had to transcribe pretty much literally spent 80 minutes ranting and cursing at the interviewer at top speed.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 18, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Shima Honnou posted:

This time around I got either a super soft talker, or the crew put the mic way closer to the interviewer than the interviewee and it really shows. It could be a lot worse though; like I've said, one of these guys I had to transcribe pretty much literally spent 80 minutes ranting and cursing at the interviewer at top speed.

Sucks for them. I'm sure post-production is going to be making GBS threads themselves trying to figure out how to use the lines if it's that quiet.

And yeah, I've had a couple files from this one, and thankfully the couple that I've had really weren't that bad, but, again, I make it a point to screen the files the moment they come in.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I don't mind if the audio isn't perfect, as long as it isn't, you know, two interviews on top of each other. I mean, I can usually figure it out, it's just annoying.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Is the unregistered Express Scribe unable to play video or something? Mine only says "Video loading" when doing the DT test file.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Unregistered should be able to play video just fine. You may need codecs or something, though. I already did a lot of poo poo with various file types and had codec packs installed. Alternatively, you can use VLC, but it may be harder to control the video, I dunno.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
I have no idea what format that new test file is in but you can try using InqScribe instead.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

FTW Transcriber is another free transcription program. I've used it in the past:

http://theftwtranscriber.com/

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shima Honnou posted:

Unregistered should be able to play video just fine. You may need codecs or something, though. I already did a lot of poo poo mad pirating with various file types sick warez and rad filez and had codec packs l33t haxxorz installed. Alternatively, you can use VLC h0t torrents, but it may be harder to control the video your raging erection, I dunno.

The forums at SomethingAwful.com: The Internet's Premiere Comedy Website!

I really have no idea what possessed me to do this. I just looked at your post and couldn't help myself.

Realtalk: Dragon is shockingly good. Now I just need some actual work instead of just continuously training it in anticipation of all the sweet work that we have been warned is coming.

Zorblack fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 19, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Zorblack posted:

The forums at SomethingAwful.com: The Internet's Premiere Comedy Website!

I really have no idea what possessed me to do this. I just looked at your post and couldn't help myself.

:lol::lol::lol:

Zorblack posted:

Realtalk: Dragon is shockingly good. Now I just need some actual work instead of just continuously training it in anticipation of all the sweet work that we have been warned is coming.

It is good, but I really need to take a day when I've got no work and train it up. As is it doesn't really gain me that much time since I have to carefully watch each line and do grammar, spelling, or full phrase editing in a secondary run. Old Boot, how can we train our Dragons?

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shima Honnou posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

It is good, but I really need to take a day when I've got no work and train it up. As is it doesn't really gain me that much time since I have to carefully watch each line and do grammar, spelling, or full phrase editing in a secondary run. Old Boot, how can we train our Dragons?

I trained it once using Dogbert's Managerial Guide and then proceeded to transcribe some recent file I had laying around almost 1:1 tape:transcribe.

Maybe your voice has too much variation in it? You just need to find something to suck away all of your will to live. Once you have become a soulless husk in the shape of your former self, the computer will recognize your lifeless voice as one of its own and gets way better at writing down everything you say! I personally recommend student loans as the quickest way to set your feet on this path!

Or just go to the Audio section of the toolbar and select "Read text to improve accuracy."

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Zorblack posted:

Maybe your voice has too much variation in it? You just need to find something to suck away all of your will to live. Once you have become a soulless husk in the shape of your former self, the computer will recognize your lifeless voice as one of its own and gets way better at writing down everything you say! I personally recommend student loans as the quickest way to set your feet on this path!

drat, if both watching reality TV footage for a living and having $9000 in student loan debt can't do it, I don't know what could possibly murder my spirit.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

When you're fixing Dragon's mistakes make sure that you're using the corrections menu and not just manually typing. The program learns from the corrections menu, but if you just type over it has no idea it did anything wrong.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shima Honnou posted:

drat, if both watching reality TV footage for a living and having $9000 in student loan debt can't do it, I don't know what could possibly murder my spirit.

Ho ho, oh goodness no. That amount won't allow your voice to echo with the monotone, sepulchre tones of the long dead. Now if you were to multiply that amount by 10, you would be in the ballpark.

Soon, the once warm blood in your veins would cool to a tepid listless flow to organs once nourished in your youth but now withered and decrepit. Your body would cease its biological functions and begin a stage of perverse unlife, forced into motion by eldritch powers feared by man and beast alike.

Finally, the computer will acknowledge the unholy sacrifice you have made of your humanity. The mockery of creation made incarnate within you will garner the respect of the circuitry you caress with skeletal fingers.

Then you will become one with Dragon Naturally Speaking 12.5 .

Or maybe buy a better microphone. You know.

You got choices and stuff.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I got a decent mic a while ago, about when I got these new headphones. Far as I can tell, my voice is just weird (Goony, if you will) and requires extra training. Next time I get an assignment that isn't "Hey, get this crap done in less than 24 hours please" I'll have to train it some.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I've never really used the corrections menu, but I should more often. I just try to keep track of what my problem words are and go into the vocabulary editor. Dragon really hates how I say 'we're.'

In any event, the way to get it to recognize your voice better is to read to it more. Talk to it in your normal transcribing voice at least a half an hour per night for a little while, and it'll start to pick up on your patterns.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 19, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Just submitted the test to DT. I feel like I made a dozen passes over it :sweatdrop:

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Why is it nice to work for yourself?

Because sometimes, you need to take some time off, and the only thing you're responsible for is the projects you need to finish, and then you're done. And then maybe you can go camping and experience the woods, and get a little guilt free day drunk. It was bliss.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Why is it nice to work for yourself?

Because sometimes, you need to take some time off, and the only thing you're responsible for is the projects you need to finish, and then you're done. And then maybe you can go camping and experience the woods, and get a little guilt free day drunk. It was bliss.

:buddy::hf::buddy:

EDIT: downside, taxes.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
It took me far too long to realize how the DT schedule page works. :haw:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I am so glad I got myself a smartphone.

Lost internet last night and didn't get it back until about now. Smartphone don't give a gently caress, it'll send and receive email including my completed transcription assignments.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
This might be stretching the online part of the thread a bit, but has anyone here had experience with Where's My Tutor? A quick search shows some people who are pissed off about it but then again there's people who are pissed off and blog about everything.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I gotta writer's domain invite today—and I only put myself on the waiting list a month or less ago.

Check your promotions tab in Gmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

thylacine posted:

I gotta writer's domain invite today—and I only put myself on the waiting list a month or less ago.

Check your promotions tab in Gmail.

Looks like open registration has started for north American English speakers.

https://www.writersdomain.net/LanguageSelection