Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

Like, it's ok to be against racism and acknowledge that it's still a thing and also acknowledge that we are really loving far from chattel slavery in 2014.

We aren't though, it's been said multiple times ITT that not only do actual slaves still exist in the USA, our economic encourage slavery and slave-like conditions overseas and we have consistently failed to prevent or redress economic exploitation among non-white Americans.

Sorry if this triggers your poor little white feelings but it's true and no about of ignorant indignation on your part is going to make it untrue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This assumes they get their job by handing out resumes, not through connections made while in school.

The first study assumes this, and finds that people of color are half as likely to get a response as a white peer when handing out resumes. Thus, racism is real and measurable.

The second study does not assume this, and measures post-college employment regardless of the method used to secure this employment, and finds that black recent college graduates are more than twice as likely to be unemployed than white recent college graduates. Thus racism is real and measurable.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Guys, guys, we aren't literally reenacting the early parts of Roots on a daily basis because it's 2014 and slavery looks a bit different so maybe we should stop talking about slavery even though it is an actual thing that still exists in the US in various forms.

You know, this reminds me an awful lot of people who claim that something isn't racist unless its a blatant KKK-level situation. It seems as if people don't want to look at racism in a nuanced fashion, but would rather use distant antiquated examples that remove racism from a modern context.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

AA isn't really accomplishing its goals and mostly exists as a program to make others feel better. Like so many wedge issues, it's really just an opportunity to display your allegiance to one cause or another.

Oh gently caress off with this lazy rear end criticism. "Heh. I bet you are just trying to feel good about yourself, therefore your motives are bad and I don't have to agree to address inequality." How about, rather than scrapping AA and hoping it all works out, you kill the arguments for AA by proposing a superior plan that solves the inequality and makes attempts at AA obsolete.

It's pretty questionable when someone is focused solely on rolling back programs for minorities with nothing to replace them. But I don't know maybe you do have better suggestions, let's hear em.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Oh gently caress off with this lazy rear end criticism. "Heh. I bet you are just trying to feel good about yourself, therefore your motives are bad and I don't have to agree to address inequality." How about, rather than scrapping AA and hoping it all works out, you kill the arguments for AA by proposing a superior plan that solves the inequality and makes attempts at AA obsolete.

It's pretty questionable when someone is focused solely on rolling back programs for minorities with nothing to replace them. But I don't know maybe you do have better suggestions, let's hear em.

Pretty sure his suggestions are 1) it's not really a problem we can do anything about 2) liberals are just trying to make themselves feel good by pretending to be allies 3) SJWs are nazis.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Pretty sure his suggestions are 1) it's not really a problem we can do anything about 2) liberals are just trying to make themselves feel good by pretending to be allies 3) SJWs are nazis.

Hey, those suggestions might have more substance than the Dartmouth liberal I argued with saying "black people just need to engage in a grassroots effort to change their culture before they can get into universities fairly, then we won't need AA"

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Having thought over the thread title "would whites reinstitute slavery today if the could", The answer is no, because we could (at great cost in money and blood) and so far we have not.
So... Question answered close thread i guess.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Having thought over the thread title "would whites reinstitute slavery today if the could", The answer is no, because we could (at great cost in money and blood) and so far we have not.
So... Question answered close thread i guess.

You already posted that poo poo, are you just coming back every few pages to tell us all how much you don't want to discuss this? Because you could just, you know, not discuss this.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Basically.

It's like there's some Straight White Man's Handbook that these arguments come from. Hey, Who What Now, you're a straight white man, answer me this: do they just pull y'all aside as children at some point, like maybe after Little League practice once the fairies and the kids of other races leave and tell you how to blow off minorities? "Hey all right guys, some day some broad or darkie is gonna natter on to you about how oppressed they are or whatever, just tell them they hate men or they're anti-white, that'll shut 'em up. Oh and if some pussy white liberal jumps in, just tell Mr PC Police that he's just showing off and he doesn't really care about bigotry. If you say they don't care about racism, it means you don't have to!" :clint:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

You already posted that poo poo, are you just coming back every few pages to tell us all how much you don't want to discuss this? Because you could just, you know, not discuss this.

Basically.

It's like there's some Straight White Man's Handbook that these arguments come from. Hey, Who What Now, you're a straight white man, answer me this: do they just pull y'all aside as children at some point, like maybe after Little League practice once the fairies and the kids of other races leave and tell you how to blow off minorities? "Hey all right guys, some day some broad or darkie is gonna natter on to you about how oppressed they are or whatever, just tell them they hate men or they're anti-white, that'll shut 'em up. Oh and if some pussy white liberal jumps in, just tell Mr PC Police that he's just showing off and he doesn't really care about bigotry. If you say they don't care about racism, it means you don't have to!" :clint:

I dont know about you but i have to work so yes i will be periodicly leaving and coming back to any thread i post in since i cant post at work.
Also i do want to discuss it. Really curios about what you found incorrect about my last post. If we have moved on from the question in the thread title to a general discussion on racism in america then nevermind.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Pretty sure i had a substantial post on the last page that did exactly this. I honestly could live with or without affirmative action, it's not a huge deal for me. It's just kind of weird how some people cling to things based on their political stances rather than the system actually working. Congrats, you've got a system that lets rich people from out of country cut in line in front of everyone else. Cling to it like some kind of life preserver if you want, but there are way better options for helping poor people of all stripes than creating tiny niche programs that divide them up into subcategories based on the color of their skin. Again, it's just implementing the current inequitable system with different players at different positions. It's not radical or progressive, it's just the same pendulum swinign back and forth with the court of public opinion.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Who What Now posted:

Yes. I was 100% serious. You can tell because I used the term "unironically", a word that has never been used in an ironic manner itself. It would be impossible to do so, you see. That's how you can tell. You are a loving genius, and not at all retarded.

Sorry for taking your words at face value. :shrug:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

Pretty sure i had a substantial post on the last page that did exactly this. I honestly could live with or without affirmative action, it's not a huge deal for me. It's just kind of weird how some people cling to things based on their political stances rather than the system actually working. Congrats, you've got a system that lets rich people from out of country cut in line in front of everyone else. Cling to it like some kind of life preserver if you want, but there are way better options for helping poor people of all stripes than creating tiny niche programs that divide them up into subcategories based on the color of their skin. Again, it's just implementing the current inequitable system with different players at different positions. It's not radical or progressive, it's just the same pendulum swinign back and forth with the court of public opinion.

OK fair enough, I somehow missed that post of yours, I apologize. But, why do you assume leftists are against addressing wealth inequalities or funding elementary education? For someone who is Very Concerned about whether leftists are posturing, you sure seem very fixated on scoring points by accusing people of not "really caring" about racism. Why not lead with those positive ideas of yours, and if the liberal says "Nah, AA is good enough" then telling them they're not trying to address the real problem actually makes sense. Especially because as we address inequality in wealth, opportunity, education, etc then the student population of the beneficiaries will increase as a result, causing colleges to naturally scale back their racial weightings.

AA is and was always meant to be temporary. It's still around because so far we have not succeeded in solving the underlying inequalities.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm sure you're relieved to discover that he's not literally salivating at the thought of sinking his teeth into the soft, meaty, overfed flesh of the 1%.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 19, 2014

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

AVeryLargeRadish is a really smart poster who has made a bunch of good posts in this thread.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
As far as this discussion of Affirmative Action goes, it looks like a well intentioned system with some flaws like the aforementioned rich, foreign minorities receiving much of the benefits when the system was meant to primarily benefit African Americans. But this seems like a problem for reforms to fix, not a problem that would require the system to be dismantled entirely.

To have this discussion we would really need to get into the nitty-gritty policy details of AA, have the needed statistics at hand or the ability to have such facts and statistics gathered if they do not already exist and have experts at hand to consult. Frankly I don't think we have the ability or resources to have a really useful discussion about this topic beyond it providing idle entertainment for us.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Its the internet, and someone literally was advocating for the act of cannibalism regarding the rich. You're the type of person who looked at 'A Modest Proposal' and thought it was 100% legit, and could not at all be a satirical paper pointing out how lovely the poors have it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

OK fair enough, I somehow missed that post of yours, I apologize. But, why do you assume leftists are against addressing wealth inequalities or funding elementary education? For someone who is Very Concerned about whether leftists are posturing, you sure seem very fixated on scoring points by accusing people of not "really caring" about racism. Why not lead with those positive ideas of yours, and if the liberal says "Nah, AA is good enough" then telling them they're not trying to address the real problem actually makes sense. Especially because as we address inequality in wealth, opportunity, education, etc then the student population of the beneficiaries will increase as a result, causing colleges to naturally scale back their racial weightings.

AA is and was always meant to be temporary. It's still around because so far we have not succeeded in solving the underlying inequalities.

I'm sure you're relieved to discover that he's not literally salivating at the thought of sinking his teeth into the soft, meaty, overfed meat of the 1%.

I think racism is actually a symptom of our broken economic system and people spend a lot of time and effort trying to avoid symptoms rather than cure the illness. I think a rearrangement of capitalism where everyone who wants a job with a living wage could get one would alleviate a lot of this racial disparity. As long as the resources available for the general population are spread so thin, people are going to find ways to redirect them to the folks they consider to be part of "us" at the cost of "them". Those groups and their compositions may change over time, but the standard framework is always going to be there.

If you look at parts of Europe where the general population is actually probably more racist than your average American, they don't have nearly the issues we do with endemic racism because their problems of economic equality are better addressed. That's what large parts of occupy were trying to get at before they got bogged down by the same stupid mentalities I'm arguing against in this thread. All of a sudden every person with a personal agenda with an axe to grind was showing up and adding their list of weird demands to a movement that really only needed to focus on their major issue. The same privilege accusation fests and personal suffering contests that populate this thread and other areas of the internet weighed down and divided people who largely should have been advocating for the same thing that would benefit all of them.

The more I think about it and watch it happen, the more I think the concept of privilege is used not as a tool of reform or progression, but as a petty accusation to foster personal grievances that propogates infighting and finger-pointing. From my observations, most of the people going back and forth about that type of thing would probably all agree on the larger issues at hand facing entire generations but they're too bogged down in their own dogma to see the big picture. You're never going to get the majoirty of white America to agree to sit down and shut up because the majority of all people are loud mouthed assholes with varying opnions that probably aren't ever going to be ideologically pure enough to fit that mold. It sucks, but I'm fairly certain that dealing with idiots who won't shut up and ask stupid questions who end up supporting your general cause in the end is how the majority of coalitions go about business everywhere in the world. An ally doesn't have to agree with everything you say, they just have to have your back when it counts.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

I'm sure you're relieved to discover that he's not literally salivating at the thought of sinking his teeth into the soft, meaty, overfed meat of the 1%.

Not really, I don't have any particular problem with cannibalism other than finding the idea of engaging in it discomforting on a personal level.

But I think we are getting pretty far afield here, you could make a thread about the subject if you want.

Zelder posted:

AVeryLargeRadish is a really smart poster who has made a bunch of good posts in this thread.

Thanks. :)

Edit:

E-Tank posted:

Its the internet, and someone literally was advocating for the act of cannibalism regarding the rich. You're the type of person who looked at 'A Modest Proposal' and thought it was 100% legit, and could not at all be a satirical paper pointing out how lovely the poors have it.

It's not that I don't see the possibly of satire or irony, it's that I prefer to take others statements at face value. If the statement was meant to be ironic I can always apologize later as I did with Who What Now. :)

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 19, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

I'm sure you're relieved to discover that he's not literally salivating at the thought of sinking his teeth into the soft, meaty, overfed flesh of the 1%.

Unfortunately for them, I am :unsmigghh:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

no, actually they didn't

[quote="AVeryLargeRadish"post="431244606"]
[/quote]

Really? The cannibalism didn't tip you off that I was being facetious? You actually thought I hungered for the flesh of America's top earners? Really? REALLY?!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If the statement was meant to be ironic I can always apologize later as I did with Who What Now. :)

"Oh, I'm sorry I thought you were a literal cannibal."

Yep, what a great apology you made. Super sincere:.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 20, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

You're never going to get the majoirty of white America to agree to sit down and shut up because the majority of all people are loud mouthed assholes with varying opnions that probably aren't ever going to be ideologically pure enough to fit that mold. It sucks, but I'm fairly certain that dealing with idiots who won't shut up and ask stupid questions who end up supporting your general cause in the end is how the majority of coalitions go about business everywhere in the world. An ally doesn't have to agree with everything you say, they just have to have your back when it counts.

Why is the onus on progressives to let institutional racism slide, rather than on the people who apparently would totally agree to end poverty and establish social democracy but vote Republican because they're angry that a black person made them feel guilty or whatever you're saying? Why can't the onus be on those people to just get over it? Especially since grumbling about white people has zero material effect on their lives?

I totally believe that there are people on board with alleviating poverty as long as the blacks and Mexicans are shut out (hello there, Southern Members of the New Deal Coalition), but it is pretty hard to believe that inequality and racism would be over by now if Jesse Jackson had only kept his mouth shut and not shattered our inevitable progressive majority.

Is this really a thing? People who are all "well, I was a supporter of Scandinavian Social Democracy, until I discovered Tumblr and then gently caress that Cruz/Palin 2016!". Do those people exist? Or is it just you.

Εdit: Also, I'm not an expert on Europe or anything, but haven't the welfare programs in places like Denmark and Sweden began to see a conservative backlash because immigrants are perceived to be benefitting from them? What if people really are racist, and it turns out it's impossible to get public support for welfare programs in a multicultural society without addressing the racism first? Do you consider this a possibility?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 20, 2014

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Forums user AVeryLargeRadish, I find it hard to believe that you are, as your name implies, a vegetable. Could you confirm for us all whether this is or is not the case?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Really? The cannibalism didn't tip you off that I was being facetious? You actually thought I hungered for the flesh of America's top earners? Really? REALLY?!

It's not my place to dictate your beliefs, I think that would be pretty rude of me.

Who What Now posted:

"Oh, I'm sorry I thought you were a literal cannibal."

Yep, what a great apology you made. Super sincere:.

Hmmm, I get the sense that you are being facetious here but if you meant it in another way I apologize in advance for my misunderstanding.

If you were a cannibal I wouldn't really have a problem with that as long as you are not harming others, for example religious endocannibalism. Unfortunately there are public health issues raised by cannibalism such as the spread of diseases like the Kuru epidemic amongst the Fore people. But we are getting pretty far off topic, this seems like a subject for a separate thread, so if you want to continue I'd be willing to outside of this thread.

If you felt my apology was insincere or offensive in any way I also apologize for that, I'm sorry.

Edit:

Enjoy posted:

Forums user AVeryLargeRadish, I find it hard to believe that you are, as your name implies, a vegetable. Could you confirm for us all whether this is or is not the case?

I am, in fact, not. Apologies if my forum handle caused you any confusion. :)

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Why is the onus on progressives to let institutional racism slide, rather than on the people who apparently would totally agree to end poverty and establish social democracy but vote Republican because they're angry that a black person made them feel guilty or whatever you're saying? Why can't the onus be on those people to just get over it? Especially since grumbling about white people has zero material effect on their lives?

I totally believe that there are people on board with alleviating poverty as long as the blacks and Mexicans are shut out (hello there, Southern Members of the New Deal Coalition), but it is pretty hard to believe that inequality and racism would be over by now if Jesse Jackson had only kept his mouth shut and not shattered our inevitable progressive majority.

Is this really a thing? People who are all "well, I was a supporter of Scandinavian Social Democracy, until I discovered Tumblr and then gently caress that Cruz/Palin 2016!". Do those people exist? Or is it just you.

Εdit: Also, I'm not an expert on Europe or anything, but haven't the welfare programs in places like Denmark and Sweden began to see a conservative backlash because immigrants are perceived to be benefitting from them? What if people really are racist, and it turns out it's impossible to get public support for welfare programs in a multicultural society without addressing the racism first? Do you consider this a possibility?

I don't think in the current legal and political environment you could truly set up poverty initiatives that locked out any specific race, except maybe white people. It's not that you have to let institutional racism slide, you just have to keep your eye on the big prize instead of getting caught up in a tertiary issue. How valuable really is your time spent as an activist trolling white people with privilege bullshit? What does that accomplish besides preaching to the choir and making you and a small group of like-minded individuals feel superior for posting on the internet?

The problem isn't that white people's perceived special status needs to be stripped away or mocked, the problem is that status needs to be conferred on everyone. When you set up a movement to mock and deride the same status you actually claim to fight for in other conversations, you're undermining your own end goal. Good activists appeal to people on a level that resonates with them personally, history has shown this over and over. Human beings love to comisserate and attempt to identify with the plight of others, even if it's done in an insensitive manner. If someone is saying they totally understand your pain or struggle because of their stupid white people problems yes it's annoying, but the bigger, more important issue is that they are trying to internalize and personalize your struggle to identify with it and support it. They don't have to be a lock-step idealist in your army for that to happen.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

The main reason of the backslash is that these programs are constantly gutted and immigrants serve both as a convenient scapegoat and a reason to shrink welfare even further. It doesn't help that they also tend to drive the costs of labor down. When Poles started to come to the UK and Ireland en masse, English tabloids were full of horror stories (the weirdest one claimed that they hunt and eat swans from public parks) despite them being unrecognizable from an average Caucasian.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

I don't think in the current legal and political environment you could truly set up poverty initiatives that locked out any specific race, except maybe white people. It's not that you have to let institutional racism slide, you just have to keep your eye on the big prize instead of getting caught up in a tertiary issue. How valuable really is your time spent as an activist trolling white people with privilege bullshit? What does that accomplish besides preaching to the choir and making you and a small group of like-minded individuals feel superior for posting on the internet?

Is the problem that gay or black activists are endlessly trolling white people for shits and giggles? Or is the problem that black people say something like, "this voter ID disenfranchises poor (thus mostly black) people for the following reasons" only to have white people ignore everything they say call and them lazy and stupid because "hey, getting a license isn't that hard, get off your rear end"?

I mean hell, just look at the Texas GOP platform:

quote:

Affirmative Action- The Republican Party of Texas believes in equal opportunity for all citizens without regard to race or gender. Affirmative action casts doubt on minority achievement, making such achievement as seemingly unearned. We believe that true minority advancement will come from a demand for personal responsibility, accountability, and competitive excellence.

Clearly disparities in education are because black people lack accountability, aren't taking responsibility for their education, and aren't asked to excel. And that's it. :rolleyes: [This is what conservative white people in Texas actually believe]

The reason privilege comes up in these conversations is because of white people who refuse to believe that anyone else's experiences differ from their own. Not because minorities want to tear down whites and make the pick cotton on the :obama: plantation. Your fixation on whether pig ignorant people get their feelings hurt when they say schools are fine, black people just need to be held accountable for failure is absurd.

Recognizing privilege is as simple as saying "Oh I was born into a middle-class family that could afford to live in neighborhoods with good schools, pay for books, get me academic help, and I had parents who have been to college and know what to do. Rather than assuming black people must be stupid, I should support offering everyone the opportunities I had." That's it. Why can we not even tell them that? How do we convince them to support equality if they think they bootstrapped themselves right from the womb into a four-year university?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 20, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's not my place to dictate your beliefs, I think that would be pretty rude of me.

No, you seemed quite happy to say I would literally commit a single-handed genocide against a race that has a particular lack of melatonin. So why are you suddenly so afraid to commit, I wonder?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

In this thread we unironically argue with people who talk about anti- white racism.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

In this thread we unironically argue with people who talk about anti- white racism.

It just seems like he's soooo close. Plus I am procrastinating on the work I should be doing.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Who What Now posted:

No, you seemed quite happy to say I would literally commit a single-handed genocide against a race that has a particular lack of melanin. So why are you suddenly so afraid to commit, I wonder?

FTFY. This is actually the substance responsible for pigmentation. Melatonin is an antioxidant, regulates plant growth and affects seasonal clock in animals.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Die insomniac scum!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gantolandon posted:

FTFY. This is actually the substance responsible for pigmentation. Melatonin is an antioxidant, regulates plant growth and affects seasonal clock in animals.

gently caress. I knew it was mela-something. Point still stands though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Who What Now posted:

No, you seemed quite happy to say I would literally commit a single-handed genocide against a race that has a particular lack of melatonin. So why are you suddenly so afraid to commit, I wonder?

The original statement you made seemed rather unambiguous, as I said, I took it at face value, this was in error and I apologize for misinterpreting what you said. :)

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

This is true, actually.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Is the problem that gay or black activists are endlessly trolling white people for shits and giggles? Or is the problem that black people say something like, "this voter ID disenfranchises poor (thus mostly black) people for the following reasons" only to have white people ignore everything they say call and them lazy and stupid because "hey, getting a license isn't that hard, get off your rear end"?

I mean hell, just look at the Texas GOP platform:

Clearly disparities in education are because black people lack accountability, aren't taking responsibility for their education, and aren't asked to excel. And that's it. :rolleyes: [This is what conservative white people in Texas actually believe]

The reason privilege comes up in these conversations is because of white people who refuse to believe that anyone else's experiences differ from their own. Not because minorities want to tear down whites and make the pick cotton on the :obama: plantation. Your fixation on whether pig ignorant people get their feelings hurt when they say schools are fine, black people just need to be held accountable for failure is absurd.

Recognizing privilege is as simple as saying "Oh I was born into a middle-class family that could afford to live in neighborhoods with good schools, pay for books, get me academic help, and I had parents who have been to college and know what to do. Rather than assuming black people must be stupid, I should support offering everyone the opportunities I had." That's it. Why can we not even tell them that? How do we convince them to support equality if they think they bootstrapped themselves right from the womb into a four-year university?

Except that's not "it". It's being told to shut the gently caress up and don't ask questions because you're white. It's being told not to pipe up at the occupy rally because you're privileged and this protest isn't about you. The privilege platform has continued to morph into something uglier and more far-reaching than just realizing you may have had it better than someone. It's a billy club wielded by extremists to silence dissent, a fallback argument for any cornered idiot and the lynchpin for actual racists to address and demonize white people as some sort of monolithic entity.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

natetimm posted:

Except that's not "it". It's being told to shut the gently caress up and don't ask questions because you're white. It's being told not to pipe up at the occupy rally because you're privileged and this protest isn't about you. The privilege platform has continued to morph into something uglier and more far-reaching than just realizing you may have had it better than someone. It's a billy club wielded by extremists to silence dissent, a fallback argument for any cornered idiot and the lynchpin for actual racists to address and demonize white people as some sort of monolithic entity.

No man it is the specific combination of being white, ignorant and unwilling to learn. And before you question the "unwilling to learn" part, laying supine on the ground groaning "POUR EDUCATION INTO MY MOUTH, I'LL BE THE JUDGE OF WHETHER OR NOT TO SWALLOW IT" is not willingness to learn.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

SedanChair posted:

No man it is the specific combination of being white, ignorant and unwilling to learn. And before you question the "unwilling to learn" part, laying supine on the ground groaning "POUR EDUCATION INTO MY MOUTH, I'LL BE THE JUDGE OF WHETHER OR NOT TO SWALLOW IT" is not willingness to learn.

Except that's how every human being on Earth gets educated and processes knowledge. It's not some sort of phenomenon unique to white people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Again no, it's the specific kind of smug demanding that we exist in a perpetual state of proving racism exists. Links go unclicked, studies go unread. People who raise their voices get labeled "angry" and "not exactly helping the cause of your people."

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

SedanChair posted:

Again no, it's the specific kind of smug demanding that we exist in a perpetual state of proving racism exists. Links go unclicked, studies go unread. People who raise their voices get labeled "angry" and "not exactly helping the cause of your people."

Yes those people are assholes, but they aren't representative of an entire race or even a majority of it. You would have to be a loving insane person to think that racism doesn't exist in the US, and that isn't some kind of quality globally applicable to all white people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

Except that's not "it". It's being told to shut the gently caress up and don't ask questions because you're white.

The only people who literally actually unironically believe this have huge problems with latent racism irl, for real.

It requires a mindset where "guilty of being white" is a thing one actually worries about irl in the real world, instead of implicitly understanding it as a petulant defensive state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
Sane people everywhere agree that racism exists and is a bad thing. It's easy to get consensus on this because it costs you nothing to admit, and is pretty obvious.

The extremely hard part is agreeing on what should be done about it and who pays for the proposed actions. Most people believe that no single raindrop is responsible for the flood, so good luck getting wide support for any policy that implies personal blame for racism.

• Locked thread