Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

FairGame posted:

How many unearned runs does a good defense give up over the course of a season? Because my team ERA is 4.3 but I've allowed 4.8 runs per game. 81 runs on average seems an awful lot, so either:
I don't know, but my team is 12 points better than yours according to Mogul's defensive efficiency rating and has given up 76 unearned runs so far this season.

----------

After making up that deficit against the Coburns so quickly, I'm really not happy about having to sit my sore sluggers for so many games this week, but I didn't get a good draw of righty and lefty starters this week. New lineups for the week:

vs RHP
3B Frisch
SS Cronin
LF Kaline
CF Charleston
1B Mathews
C Torre/Martinez
RF Oliva
2B Kent
P Pitcher

vs LHP
SS Jeter
CF Charleston
RF Kaline
1B Thomas
LF Bonds
C Torre/Martinez
3B Youkilis
2B Kent
P Pitcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

I don't know why UDQ abandoned the Tornados after Williams died, besides just getting bored with it. This team owns. Hamilton and McGraw have been an amazing 1-2 combo for me thus far, and I hope it continues for the rest of the season.

Changes:
1. Put Ernie Banks back in at SS for both no/DH line-ups.
2. Make King Kelly the starting C for both no/DH line-ups and have Ted Simmons be the personal catcher for Lefty Grove. With the pre-mos coming up I want King Kelly's arm behind the plate, even though he may have an error per game.
3. Make Billy Herman the starting 2B for both no/DH lineups. Send Riggs to the bench, please.

Thanks Smasher.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
From the desk of the owner formerly known as Beet

I know I said I wouldn't dick around with lineup changes but now my infield is dying and I've got a 12 game lead. No need to jeopardize my starting players' health with the playoffs looming. I'll keep it simple, though, don't worry:

vs both
1. CF Tris Speaker
2. LF Rickey Henderson
3. 2B The Machine
4. RF Babe Ruth
5. 1B Rafael Palmeiro
6. SS Joe Cronin
7. C Mike Piazza (tell Downing to catch for Noodles as well this week, please)
8. 3B Ray Dandridge

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Getting weird. Putting Chipper at 1st against Lefties. Think he'll get on base more than Ortiz.

Drastic lineup change. Keeping Damon & Garciaparra in for another week. Taking Bernie out against righties - for now. Depends on if small sample size Damon can keep it up.

vs. Righties DH

1.) CF Johnny Damon [L]
2.) SS Alan Trammell [R]
3.) DH David Ortiz [L]
4.) LF Gary Sheffield [R]
5.) 1B Jason Giambi [L]
6.) 2B Nap Lajoie [R]
7.) RF Vladimir Guerrero [R]
8.) 3B Nomar Garciaparra [R]
9.) C Jorge Posada [S]

vs. Lefties DH

1.) CF Bernie Williams [S]
2.) SS Alan Trammell [R]
3.) 1B Chipper Jones [S]
4.) LF Gary Sheffield [R]
5.) 2B Nap Lajoie [R]
6.) DH Jason Giambi [L]
7.) RF Vladimir Guerrero [R]
8.) 3B Nomar Garciaparra [R]
9.) C Jorge Posada [S]

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Expansion Cup XIII May Injury Report

Depraved Hearts Club
Darren O'Day (RP) (So what was that about using the 2012 O's for their bullpen?) - Out For Season

Krakow Dragons
Deacon Phillippe (SP) (Well Camnitz is back!) - 63 days

Mercury Mets
Pedro Martinez (SP) (i cant think of anything funny sorry) - 26 days

Portland Hipsters
Arthur Rhodes (RP) (Working elbows are mainstream) - 124 days)

Wu-Tang Tiger Style
Greg Maddux (SP) (Okay thats a problem) - Out For Season

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Back to normal-ish lineup, except one thing. Jason Giambi?      YOUR FIRED

vs. RHP
1. DH Ted Williams
2. RF Babe Ruth
3. LF Bob Johnson
4. CF Mickey Mantle
5. 1B Prince Fielder
6. C Bill Dickey
7. SS Alex Rodriguez
8. 3B George Kell
9. 2B Ryne Sandberg

vs. LHP
1. DH Ted Williams
2. RF Babe Ruth
3. LF Bob Johnson
4. CF Mickey Mantle
5. 1B Paul Konerko
6. C Wally Schang
7. 3B George Kell
8. SS Barry Larkin
9. 2B Ryne Sandberg

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Let's go to a four-man rotation, because I don't have a viable fifth starter and it doesn't really matter if Marichal's arm breaks this season.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

gingemidget posted:

Let's go to a four-man rotation, because I don't have a viable fifth starter and it doesn't really matter if Marichal's arm breaks this season.

Matlack is usually decent in the Super-League.

Also, there is almost never a good time to go to a four-man rotation, unless you really trust the AI not to somehow gently caress it up, and the AI really can't be trusted to do that.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DL Rhodes and call back up my RP from the minors.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Hm. No Phillippe? Fine. Stick Vic Willis in his slot for the time being.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Just Riggs back in for Wheat again, please. Riggs/Rice shall propel the Knights to safety! I believe it!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Week 22 Injury Report

Burma Imperialists

From the Desk of John McGraw posted:

Dear Charles,

Have lit out for the Berkshires. Heat in Cancun is unbearable. Will return for playoffs or 24 days.

With Love,

John

Coburns
Rob Dibble (RP) (Sacrifice to Coburn) - 8 days

Oklahoma City Bombers
Mike Timeline (RP) (Erased by temporal paradox) - Out for Season

Somali Pirates
Trevor Hoffman (RP) (Vacation) - 17 days

South Bolton Eazy W's
Al Simmons (LF) (His will be Dunn. His Kingdom....also Dunn) - 30 days

ForeverBWFC

RNG God is a still a LHP starting pitcher. But now he has a screwball!

Pick 'em: Stasis

Intercontinental, Heavyweight and Larkin-Downing Championships
Hill City Dinos @ Philadelphia Premodernists (c)

Hardcore and Television Championships
Walney Rakers (c) @ Australian Thunder

Canadian Championship
Coburns @ Somali Pirates (c) (4-Game Series)

United States Championship
Rockford Losers (c) @ Burma Imperialists (4-Game Series)

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

A brief message from the Breegulls' management team:

Put Oliva in and Allison out.
This player's skills I have no doubt
that his great arms will make up for
the many errors he'll make and more.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Week 22 Injury Report

John McGraw's note

Dammit McGraw; the heat isn't that bad here! Hmm, I might have to consider moving the team back to a place more familiar to me...

Canadian Championship

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pick 'Em: Champs retain.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Canadian Championship

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Pick em. champs retain

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Pick 'em: Thunder sweep, other champs retain.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
This is not a ratings challenge or anything, but does anyone have any theories as to why Roberto Hernandez has been such a bad SL pitcher? He's got similar career numbers to guys like John Franco and Goose Gossage who are both pretty great SL relievers.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Canadian Championship

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

DannoMack posted:

This is not a ratings challenge or anything, but does anyone have any theories as to why Roberto Hernandez has been such a bad SL pitcher? He's got similar career numbers to guys like John Franco and Goose Gossage who are both pretty great SL relievers.

If I had to guess:

Both Franco and Gossage had a notably higher GB% than Hernandez. Gossage also was much harder to hit; he's got a notably better WHIP than Hernandez even though the BB/9 were similar.

Hernandez is a fly ball pitcher who didn't strike out that many, and when you're pitching to flyball contact in a league filled with HoF bats (and the occasional gimmick park), that means shitloads of dingers.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

DannoMack posted:

What feeder team did you get him from? I can take a look and theorize.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

FairGame posted:

Hernandez is a fly ball pitcher who didn't strike out that many, and when you're pitching to flyball contact in a league filled with HoF bats (and the occasional gimmick park), that means shitloads of dingers.

Hernandez wasn't a flyballer in real life - Gossage was much more of one. Why Mogul hosed that up is either systemic or a function of the talent level in the league.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I would assume Mogul gets GB/FB ratio from home runs allowed, since that's the only thing to go off of for a large period of history.

Although, if they wanted to, they could probably use Retrosheet data to get more accurate numbers for the last few decades.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
The other thing to point out is that Rockford has had pretty much exclusive access to Hernandez's prime years since they've been around forever. Though I think the 92 White Sox may have been in last season's expansion feeders so maybe someone in the sub par league has a slightly younger version of him. All the other versions that have been trotted out have been mid 30s or older and I assume the Mogul engine hates any pitcher older than about 35 that isn't Cy Young or Pete Alexander.

And I stopped using him after the first season because I ended up acquiring much more reliable bullpen arms and didn't really give him a second chance. It looks like he got a half season of work in SLVII and was actually decent, which I assume is the year I had a rash of bullpen injuries including that season long injury to Smoltz.

So maybe if there was a larger sample size of his younger years he'd compare better to those other guys.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alan Trammell posted:

I would assume Mogul gets GB/FB ratio from home runs allowed, since that's the only thing to go off of for a large period of history.

Although, if they wanted to, they could probably use Retrosheet data to get more accurate numbers for the last few decades.

For what it's worth, look at Robin Roberts, who Smasher correctly points out gave up All The Homers. Career HR/9 of 1.0.

In the SL, he's a ground ball master.

Sample size 1 player, so who knows, but if that's all I had to look at I'd assume that GB/FB is not determined from HR.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

cbx posted:

What feeder team did you get him from? I can take a look and theorize.

It's the 1999 TB version. He's 34, so a bit past his prime, but it's also quite possibly his best season.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

South Bolton Eazy W's
Al Simmons (LF) (His will be Dunn. His Kingdom....also Dunn) - 30 days

ForeverBWFC

RNG God is a still a LHP starting pitcher. But now he has a screwball!

Drop Dunn to the DL, call up Gibson to the bench, leave RNG where he is.

All champs retain.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
All Champs Lose

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

ForeverBWFC posted:

Drop Dunn to the DL, call up Gibson to the bench, leave RNG where he is.

All champs retain.

I am concerned about your reading comprehension.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I am concerned about your reading comprehension.

He is probably still recovering from England losing to Suarez and 10 other Uruguayans.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Pick'em

All champs retain.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ToiletofSadness posted:

The other thing to point out is that Rockford has had pretty much exclusive access to Hernandez's prime years since they've been around forever. Though I think the 92 White Sox may have been in last season's expansion feeders so maybe someone in the sub par league has a slightly younger version of him. All the other versions that have been trotted out have been mid 30s or older and I assume the Mogul engine hates any pitcher older than about 35 that isn't Cy Young or Pete Alexander.

And I stopped using him after the first season because I ended up acquiring much more reliable bullpen arms and didn't really give him a second chance. It looks like he got a half season of work in SLVII and was actually decent, which I assume is the year I had a rash of bullpen injuries including that season long injury to Smoltz.

So maybe if there was a larger sample size of his younger years he'd compare better to those other guys.

The Calamities picked up the 92 White Sox, although I think Hernandez was traded to The Worst in the Noodles deal.

e: Yep, he was.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 20, 2014

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Monathin posted:

The Calamities picked up the 92 White Sox, although I think Hernandez was traded to The Worst in the Noodles deal.

Does your team use Dan Pasqua? If not, I feel strongly that it should.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Someone's infringing on my gimmick. This is not OK.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Pungry posted:

Someone's infringing on my gimmick. This is not OK.

I could see if it were a bratwurst, sure. Maybe even liverwurst.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Okay Monicro, if you still need a banner, here you go.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

All champs retain.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Does your team use Dan Pasqua? If not, I feel strongly that it should.

I have never agreed with you more than at this precise microsecond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Assuming the Calamities survive, I assure you that Pasqua will have a spot on the roster, somewhere.