Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

catlord posted:

Having a devil of a time with the London Monitor. I'm having trouble hitting his engine, I can't get a good angle on it.

It's really not that threatening. Wait until it's charging its laser, shoot it from close-by and then immediately run underneath it. It likes to move around pretty quickly so it's kind of a pain in the rear end but there isn't much of a trick to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

It's really not that threatening. Wait until it's charging its laser, shoot it from close-by and then immediately run underneath it.

It's getting underneath that's catching me up. It has guns that keep shooting me and by the time I get down there it's all closed up again.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Adun posted:

So just beat the game and did not expect the awesome credits music

Absolutely loved this game.

Seriously how do I get this soundtrack

It's on Spotify, although I don't remember the credits song being on there.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

catlord posted:

It's getting underneath that's catching me up. It has guns that keep shooting me and by the time I get down there it's all closed up again.

Have you destroyed the missile bays? It felt like the bottom opens up for longer once those are taken out. Could just be me though. I had the same trouble on my uber run until I took those out.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It opens up before then? I had to destroy the missile pods first before they said to shoot the exposed core underneath.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Broose posted:

Have you destroyed the missile bays? It felt like the bottom opens up for longer once those are taken out. Could just be me though. I had the same trouble on my uber run until I took those out.

I did indeed. Does it open up before then? I didn't notice if it does or not.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Could someone give me tips with the final bossfight? It's impossible to go head-to-head, and with all the fire blocking paths I can't avoid him either.
Edit: Took him out by front-loading with dual rocketlaunchers.

Where's my earth-shattering kaboom? I was promised an earth-shattering kaboom!

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 8, 2014

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

catlord posted:

I did indeed. Does it open up before then? I didn't notice if it does or not.

Ah. Yeah, sorry I was wrong then. It only opens up when you shoot the eye while it is charging as far as I know. I did try to stay somewhat underfoot, in whatever sewer entrance was nearby. It can pitch down quite a bit when it wants to so you don't have to run across the entire map to get under it.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

more friedman units posted:

It's on Spotify, although I don't remember the credits song being on there.

Ah that's too bad. The entire end of the game/credits was pitch perfect. Here's the song if anyone else wants to listen to it on repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiTn4j7gVvY

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Still don't have Return to Castle Wolfenstein on steam? Gamefly digital currently has it on sale for $4.99.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there a lot of difference between the two timelines?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

muscles like this? posted:

Is there a lot of difference between the two timelines?

Fergus RULES Wyatt DROOLS

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Fergus timeline gives you health boosts (so that your default health increases to 110, 120, etc etc). Wyatt timeline gives you armour boosts that increase the effectiveness of any armour you pick up; your maximum armour will never go over 100, but every individual armour pickup will be more useful, so you end up getting 50 armour instead of 30, etc.

Of course the timeline difference significantly changes all the cutscenes that feature the rebels, and the levels inbetween missions where you are hanging around in the rebel headquarters. As well as changing the identity of your surviving buddy, it also changes one extra member of the rebels to a different character. Both extra characters have interesting dialogue. (The one on the Wyatt timeline doesn't say anything and can't be interacted with until after a couple of missions, when he leaves his guitar on the workbence you need to give yourself an armour upgrade. Then he has quite a bit to say. I'm not sure how it is on the Fergus timeline.) So if you are a fan of the story and characters then that's pretty significant. As for the levels...

In certain maps there is little difference - in one timeline you pick a locked door, in the other your hotwire something, either way you end up going to the same place. In other maps you end up with a significantly different route that changes 2 or 3 minutes of gameplay. In some maps you can only get certain collectibles on one of the timelines.

For instance, in the prison level in the Wyatt timeline there is a place where you can either go through some kind of hatch or tunnel - which is marked on your map as being the objective location - or you could can lockpick a door. There's a bunch of Nazis you can murder in their sleep (including one where you stab him from underneath the bed and do a unique one-liner), a commander you can kill to get the secrets to appear on your map, and a bunch of health and armour you can find. There may have also been a collectible but I can't remember which.

If you do that level in the Fergus timeline, I've gathered from a friend that you are directed into the main hatch, there's no way to get into the area with the sleeping Nazis. But, if you go the main route you can find an enigma code.

For most of the game, the differences are unnoticeable. But in particular areas of particular levels, you'll go "Huh! OK this is cool, didn't get to do this last time."

The fact that perks and upgrades can carry over into your second game (if you use chapter select rather than new game) and you've got the enigma codes to spice things up (999 mode if you want it to be easy, A Walk In the Park if you want it to be trickier, etc) means the developers really wanted to give players an incentive to play the game at least twice. The alternate timelines are one of those incentives. Alternate timeline + tougher difficulty mode (or enigma code) + unlocking things you didn't unlock before + getting collectibles you couldn't get before means definitely worth at least a second playthrough.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

catlord posted:

I'm almost certain you can destroy the guns around the weak point if you shoot them for long enough, then you only have to deal with it spewing out fire occasionally.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm almost certain you can destroy the guns around the weak point if you shoot them for long enough, then you only have to deal with it spewing out fire occasionally.

I dunno, they seemed to retract and then pop out ready to shoot me up again. I did just beat it though, it's much easier if you don't use the scope on the LKW.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
London Monitor

This was a huge project. Tried out many different weapon types for the arms like lasers and huge artillery guns. In the end it had to be missiles for gameplay reasons.
Of course we also had a swastika instead of the eye for a while. :)

When I was halfway done with the model I got an email "Make it 300% bigger". That was a little too big, didn't have much room to move, so I made it only 280% bigger.
So yeah, the original Monitor was A LOT smaller.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

I can't shake the feeling this needs a left hand safety trigger to prevent you from cutting your own toes off. Maybe work safety is not a high priority for Nazis.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I kind of wish Machine Games would recreate a battle sequence but using nothing but the high-poly versions of all of the models. Just needs to be a video instead of expecting us to be able to run it. I'd just love to see how everything would look if we weren't held back at all by hardware.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PAnick posted:

When I was halfway done with the model I got an email "Make it 300% bigger". That was a little too big, didn't have much room to move, so I made it only 280% bigger.
So yeah, the original Monitor was A LOT smaller.

They should've made the arena bigger. That thing was cramped as hell and it felt like the Monitor was penned in and harmless.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
An across city chase would've been really cool but it's like one knock on an otherwise great game.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

echronorian posted:

An across city chase would've been really cool but it's like one knock on an otherwise great game.

I was expecting a rail shooter portion when you get the helicopters and was disappointed when it didn't happen.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

echronorian posted:

An across city chase where the Monitor is constantly chiding you with various motoring offenses would be amazing.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

It's really not that threatening. Wait until it's charging its laser, shoot it from close-by and then immediately run underneath it. It likes to move around pretty quickly so it's kind of a pain in the rear end but there isn't much of a trick to it.

I had to do it three or four times. Everytime I'd hit the eye and shoot the engine he'd stomp me right before or as I shot the engine. Pretty frustrating :(

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
With the fully upgraded laser he was nothing. Just zoom, charge, shoot, then duck in a sewer. Recharge, repeat. I thought the normal enemies were a lot harder but such is the nature of boss fights.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

echronorian posted:

With the fully upgraded laser he was nothing. Just zoom, charge, shoot, then duck in a sewer. Recharge, repeat. I thought the normal enemies were a lot harder but such is the nature of boss fights.

I was just slow. On my last time I was methodical and waited til he was really close to me so I didn't have a long distance to run. It was pretty much my own doing in how I got stomped. Generally I don't find the boss fights too hard. The rooms I have problems with are the ones with a few super soldat, a few shot gun dudes/rocket dudes, and a butt load of storm troopers. Mostly just because there is no easy way to clear them because there are so many corridors. You clear one, feel good, move down it cover to cover only to start getting blasted in the back. Don't take this as me complaining though. Smart AI that flanks me is awesome, I honestly haven't seen low level enemies move far away from the cover in which they appear in any other game unless its in a bee line towards me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One thing I found really disappointing about the lasers in TNO is that all of them handled just like bullet weapons, down to having recoil. I didn't even know the MG60 was a laser until I ran into a charging station while holding one. The LKW should have fired a continuous beam with which to slice up my enemies. The laser-mode Marksman should have been a hold-to-charge penetrating pulse, rather than assault-rifle-mk2. The MG60 could have got more powerful as it got closer to overheating. Something to give the weapons variety and make them distinguishable from a conventional weapon.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So I got the art book today. The full-page detail of a Supersoldier's face is, uh, something. :stare:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

kefkafloyd posted:

So I got the art book today. The full-page detail of a Supersoldier's face is, uh, something. :stare:

Same. It's well worth the 40 bucks and I've barely glanced at it.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
:whoop::whoop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYjR5UzhcZA

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Why the gently caress is it not "Doom 4"? I mean, that's what everybody's going to be calling it.

I get that that's in vogue with movies right now, but those are all remakes, usually of 20-30 year old works! Doom 3 came out less than 10 years ago, and the story appears to be what it always was rumoured to be (a sequel to Doom 3 set on Earth). Fallout 3 didn't suffer from being a numbered sequel to games that 90% of the people who bought it never played. Neither did Skyrim, or TF2, or GTA3.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

id software going for the 2nd reboot

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I finally managed to find a PS3 copy of Wolf09. Running around in slow-mo while clubbing Nazis is fun. :v:

The only slight downer so far is after the excellent VA for B.J. in TNO, it's jarring hearing him voiced by Steve Blum.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

iastudent posted:

I finally managed to find a PS3 copy of Wolf09. Running around in slow-mo while clubbing Nazis is fun. :v:

The only slight downer so far is after the excellent VA for B.J. in TNO, it's jarring hearing him voiced by Steve Blum.
It's actually not Steve Blum, it's some guy who really, really sounds like him. :suicide:

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
Im actually really excited about the new doom and I am glad it is actually going to happen. I heard it had gone through some pretty tough times.

DickButt Shitlord fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 11, 2014

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Hopefully it's not another Duke Nukem Forever, or Colonial Marines considering the development hell it's been stuck in.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

DStecks posted:

Why the gently caress is it not "Doom 4"? I mean, that's what everybody's going to be calling it.

Maybe it's exclusive to the Xbox One: The Third Xbox

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SBJ posted:

Maybe it's exclusive to the Xbox One: The Third Xbox

Which would you say is your favourite of the Crackdown series? Crackdown, Crackdown 2, or Crackdown?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Edit nm

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Could somebdoy fill me in what happens when you correctly order the objects in that underwater secret Jew cave where you first find the Da'at Yichud Power Armor? I clicked the armor and it made me leave the level before I completed the puzzle thing. What happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Could somebdoy fill me in what happens when you correctly order the objects in that underwater secret Jew cave where you first find the Da'at Yichud Power Armor? I clicked the armor and it made me leave the level before I completed the puzzle thing. What happens?

You get the attachment for your LKW that lets it self-recharge.

• Locked thread