Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Just give me playable Professor Layton and I'll die happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guys, this is modern Square we're talking about.

It's gonna be Lightning.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It'll actually be Gilgamesh

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Beef Waifu posted:

I would actually be hype for Gilgamesh...

Waffleman_ posted:

It's gonna be Lightning.

But this would be what we actually get. :(

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sakurai's kinda picky, he's stated he doesn't want to include "just anyone" from other companies.

I don't think there'll be any more third-party fighters anyway, but if they did bring in someone from FF, it'd most likely be a classic like Black or White Mage, just like in the Mario sports games Square Enix made.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
And still the fate of Geno remains unknown, unlikely to ever be resolved.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Excels posted:

And still the fate of Geno remains unknown, unlikely to ever be resolved.

Geno went back to Star Road, man. His job's done. He's not coming back.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Beef Waifu posted:

This would be amazing. His taunts would be the greatest thing since Captain Falcon's. His smash attacks could periodically just do 1 percent for seemingly no reason. It'll never happen, of course, and Gilgamesh has really only been a Final Fantasy thing since FF5, and only periodically, mostly on the non-Nintendo games.

I think we're probably done with third party characters for this game. They made the right choices, though. Sonic, Pac Man and Mega Man really are iconic, and with the latter two, they've done really interesting things with their move sets. Sonic still looks kind of boring, but what can you do?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Who remembers Smash Broters Story because it is still the best thing related to smash brothers.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
He should put Necrid in from SoulCalibur II.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

He should put Necrid in from SoulCalibur II.

That's not Charade. :colbert:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

This would be a dream come true (I know it'll never happen). Plus his moveset is so easy to create!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Devour or Fire posted:

Who remembers Smash Broters Story because it is still the best thing related to smash brothers.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Aha, yes.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Wow lucario's an rear end in a top hat

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Monicro posted:

Wow lucario's an rear end in a top hat

You'd be a jerk too if you had to get beat up to be worth a drat.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

timp posted:

Woah now.. A little trip down Pac-lane is nice every now and then, but I don't know if there's anyone on SA hardcore enough to create a dedicated Pac-thread

...unless that person is you...

Well it's happened look what you've made me do. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644623

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Solid confirmation of everyone having 12 special move options is really nice. Presumably it'll be 3 options for each B move, and I'm super stoked to play around with it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Did he mean to say that the number of attacks is appealing or is he just really down on himself today?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sharrrk posted:

Peach does not have Daisy as an alternate costume, she only has colors based on her. That is not the same thing at all. Mario has colors based on Wario, Luigi has colors based on Waluigi, would you call those alternate costumes?

Honest question, what's really all that different between Daisy and Peach? I mean aesthetically aren't they just palette swaps? I know in Melee Peach's gloves changed a bit when you changed to the Daisy color. I haven't played the recent Mario Kart, assuming she's in it, so I can't remember all too well if she's different enough that she warrants her own model and playstyle.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Honest question, what's really all that different between Daisy and Peach? I mean aesthetically aren't they just palette swaps? I know in Melee Peach's gloves changed a bit when you changed to the Daisy color. I haven't played the recent Mario Kart, assuming she's in it, so I can't remember all too well if she's different enough that she warrants her own model and playstyle.

I think she's good enough to be like the Wii Fit Trainer, and have a Daisy model for Peach with just slightly different touches to her design and a different voice - just like the Male Wii Fit Trainer.

(He does have different voice clips... right?)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Good.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
In games where Daisey is an actual character, she has a different face and hair than peach. They look pretty distinct, but they do look similar enough that a palette swapped peach with Daisey's jewelry and hair style would be close enough, especially when viewed in a game like Smash.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Whenever people say "What about Daisy?", my thought is "What about Pauline?"

Lady's not even a Kart racer.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think it would be weird to create an outright alternate model and voice that changes the character's identity. Weirder than a recolour.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

She has a completely different face and hair style, her dress is different, and her personality is completely different. She would never be a playable character in Smash Bros for the same reason that Waluigi wouldn't (neither are important) but if she was she would likely have a ton of moves based off the Mario sports games because she's really into sports. She is basically the Sports Princess. She's also much louder than Peach and has a short temper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFFOuynYKo4

I did forget that in Melee Peach's Daisy color actually changed her outfit to look like Daisy's, but she still kept the same face and hair style and was obviously just Peach dressed up as Daisy.

(i care a lot about mario characters)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it would be weird to create an outright alternate model and voice that changes the character's identity. Weirder than a recolour.

So the male wii fit trainer bothers you?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Vivi would be the most Smash Bros-appropriate Final Fantasy rep. :unsmith:

In that Super Smash Bros Flash game previously posted there was an old school sprite Black Mage character and he was pretty fun. Seemed to be based more around that 8-bit Theatre comic than anything, with a cane and knife as normals, a running attack where he Petrifies himself as he falls on you, ice/fire/lightning/teleport specials, etc.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hellioning posted:

So the male wii fit trainer bothers you?

No, because the character is "Wii Fit Trainer", a non-gender-specific identity. Same deal with "Villager".

You stick in a Daisy model with a Daisy voice and still call her Peach, that's just odd.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

No, because the character is "Wii Fit Trainer", a non-gender-specific identity. Same deal with "Villager".

You stick in a Daisy model with a Daisy voice and still call her Peach, that's just odd.

Namco is working on this game, though, and Tekken has its fair share of characters with completely different names as model swaps. Roger/Alex and Eddie/Tiger come to mind.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

andipossess posted:

Namco is working on this game, though, and Tekken has its fair share of characters with completely different names as model swaps. Roger/Alex and Eddie/Tiger come to mind.

It's still Sakurai's game and a Smash Brothers game.

Even a costume like Dr.Mario was its own character.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 20, 2014

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I know little how competitive smash works, but since Nintendo is going to the effort of having these moves banned in certain aspects of online play, would the community as a whole have them banned for tournament play?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You might see a trial approach to it in the competitive scene, but it probably won't be too popular, especially if it turns out some characters can be made too overpowered.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Supercar Gautier posted:

You might see a trial approach to it in the competitive scene, but it probably won't be too popular, especially if it turns out some characters can be made too overpowered.

Just as an example, you can see some of the customized moves in the Amiibo trailer around 2:44.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUjMhc6YgU

Even considering what might be Amiibo related in terms of damage or knockback, Mario's Thunder Cape or whatever it'll be called looks absolutely devastating. And the Scalding Fludd at the end.

I'm curious to what they come up with for Yoshi's Up-B or Sonic's spindash moves.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kurtofan posted:

It's still Sakurai's game and a Smash Brothers game.

Even a costume like Dr.Mario was its own character.

In Melee Peach had a Daisy costume. Precedence doesn't mean much in Smash games. They do what they want/what they have time for.

Also, Waluigi would be a really sensible addition, more so than Rosalina, and she's in.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

Even ignoring balance issues, it would take way too long for everyone to set up their custom moves for each match. Capcom tried customisation in Street Fighter X Tekken and the competitive scene ended up ignoring it, even though it was considered a core part of that game by the developers.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

In Melee Peach had a Daisy costume. Precedence doesn't mean much in Smash games. They do what they want/what they have time for.

The Daisy costume was just the outfit and hair color, she was still obviously Peach.

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, Waluigi would be a really sensible addition, more so than Rosalina, and she's in.

Waluigi has only shown up in spin-off titles. Rosalina was introduced in Super Mario Galaxy, a game that was frequently called one of the best games ever made when it released, and has been in every big Mario title since. She was even a playable character in the most recent one!

You can make the argument that Waluigi SHOULD be in the main titles or at least in the Wario games, but that doesn't change the fact that he's not and as such isn't really important when it comes to representing the Mario or Wario series.

Anyway, on the subject of customizable moves, I'm really kind of ehh on them. Mostly because they seem to be random effects that don't really make any sense instead of things that the character would actually do. Like, since when has Mario's cape ever shocked people? And when has Donkey Kong ever been able to shoot tornados out of his fist?? I dunno, it just makes the characters seem less like themselves to me, with the obvious exception of Palutena who gets to have completely unique moves for some reason???

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

jivjov posted:

Solid confirmation of everyone having 12 special move options is really nice. Presumably it'll be 3 options for each B move, and I'm super stoked to play around with it.

We had solid confirmation of it during the E3 round table. And yes, each B move has 3 options. There's even a spot on the website talking about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Can we as a thread try to go a week without bringing up how Waluigi should have been in/never had a chance?

• Locked thread