Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I thought mortal basically means can die of old age, in the dresden cosmos. The fae don't age because of the passage of time do they? I was under the impression that the only reason the mothers appear old is because of the mantles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Calidus posted:

I thought mortal basically means can die of old age, in the dresden cosmos. The fae don't age because of the passage of time do they? I was under the impression that the only reason the mothers appear old is because of the mantles.

Mortal is a tradeoff. Free will, but you eventually die.

Immortal creatures cannot go against their nature, duty, or role. Mab literally cannot lie. Uriel literally cannot act directly. They can choose how they go about their duties but they cannot choose not to act in their nature.

Nemesis fucks that up somehow and essentially gives free will to those who should not have it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Well, we don't quite know how "free" the free will it gives people is. For all we know people are just puppets or have their selves pushed deep down inside.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Reveilled posted:

Do the beings other than the knights actually have mantles, as such? A mantle is something that in principle you could take off or be stripped of, but I'm not sure if becomg part of the Fae as Molly did is something you can really give up.

I'm not sure there are degrees of mortality, the way I'd generally take the term mortal is "can die of natural causes/old age". Though I couldn't imagine what would make that property special in terms of the flexibility and free will it gives mortals.

In Cold Days Mantles were described as masks, which can be swapped on all hallows eve.

Vadderung has two mantles, Odin and Kringle. Possibly more we don't know about.

The original Winter Crone "retired" according to the Word of Jim, didn't she?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Apparently the first Summer one retired while Winter's is still the original.

Also I love Marster's Sanya voice.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Calidus posted:

Mab was going to use Thomas as a possible replacement for Harry if he didn't Knight it up, so unless Mab was just twisting the ol' knife in Harry, it's a bit more fiddly than that. Hell, it might be simpler than that. If you aren't a native critter from Summer or Winter? Bam. You can get the job.

Things could've really got even more screwy when mantles got thrown around. Murphy the Winter/Summer Lady anyone? :tinfoil: Wait. Better still. Mouse the Winter/Summer... Erm. Lord. He's not 100% mortal either! :D

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's "mortal" and there's "human." "Human" seems to mean "still has free will," i.e., capable of making choices and not purely an instrument or agent of Power. The more power you have, generally, the less choice you have -- vampires are in thrall to their vampire nature, the Fae are bound by Summer and Winter and their word and promises and so forth, Angels and Archangels have very very strict boundaries they can act within, etc.

I don't know if "mortal" is synonymous with "human" in the Dresden lexicon but it seems to be pretty close in meaning.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's "mortal" and there's "human." "Human" seems to mean "still has free will," i.e., capable of making choices and not purely an instrument or agent of Power.

Other way around. Changelings, for example, are mortals and have free will, but are not human until they make the choice to become one.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
He right about the power though. Power comes with purpose, and going against it has bad consequences. Small scale it is swearing by your power and going against you takes away the power. Writ big, you literally can't do it. The exception being apparently certain very specific ways at very specific places at very specific times, or nemesis

I think the comparison that Jim signed off on is like a train vs a car. You can take your car off the road but it is at greatly decreased performance and will probably wreck it in short order. A train cannot leave its tracks of its own volition and can only change at switching stations.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Yeroc2 posted:

No, I don't think Sarissa was aware Maeve was infected by Nemesis. Its definitely Sarissa calling all the Sidhe, and especially Maeve, crazy.

quote:

“It isn’t too late,” Sarissa said. “You know how she lays her plans. She prepares for everything. But it doesn’t have to happen that way. The Leanansidhe was sick and Mother helped her. But her power alone isn’t enough to heal you. You have to want it, Maeve. You have to want to be healed.”

Considering that when she tries to reason with Maeve she specifically mentions the Lenansidhe's 'sickness' (which we know to be nemesis) as the same as Maeve's (and the same as her's) it's pretty clear she's clued in to the overall situation. It would be hard for her not to have noticed it since her own mother was literally too filled with rage to talk for like 3 books.

Your suggestion also doesn't add up since Sarissa included herself in the "dementia" condition and she's wasn't Sidhe.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sarissa's a changeling.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Stroth posted:

Other way around. Changelings, for example, are mortals and have free will, but are not human until they make the choice to become one.

This is an interesting example because yeah, human but have X % fae parents nature and have similar compulsion to act fae, while still maintaining free will (until they choose).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I finally got around to trying that Iron Druid series that gets brought up in here every once in a while, and it... wasn't that bad? The dialogue was definitely a bit off, almost stilted, in this kind of 'yeah I'm a cool badass but I'm downplaying it' manner but I'm hoping it's similar to Butcher's first couple of books and just a kind of rocky start.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

WarLocke posted:

So I finally got around to trying that Iron Druid series that gets brought up in here every once in a while, and it... wasn't that bad? The dialogue was definitely a bit off, almost stilted, in this kind of 'yeah I'm a cool badass but I'm downplaying it' manner but I'm hoping it's similar to Butcher's first couple of books and just a kind of rocky start.

Just don't buy more in the series until you finish each one. Also I hope you have a overdeveloped tolerance for lolcat speech.

e: I found the first wordcount post by Captain Capacitor with some more over the next couple pages in the last thread cause I wanted to see if he'd measured how many times 'snarl' appeared, which it has 551 times, more than either Charity or Red Court, and I can believe it

(I also saw I hadn't once mentioned Iron Druid without complaining about the lolcat scene, jesus)

e2: V hahaha exactly

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 19, 2014

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Illuyankas posted:

Just don't buy more in the series until you finish each one. Also I hope you have a overdeveloped tolerance for lolcat speech.

There's enough in Hearne's work to criticize without blowing something that occupied two whole lines in one book out of proportion.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

You're right, of course - the obnoxiousness of Atticus aside, which book if any did Oberon's gimmick lose its lustre for you guys, anyway?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

There's enough in Hearne's work to criticize without blowing something that occupied two whole lines in one book out of proportion.

I think it's because those two lines were the jarring culmination of Atticus's terribleness - it was always there, but then something just toostupid happens that is the straw that breaks the camel's back and makes you realize that how terrible Atticus is written. I know he's trying to 'fit in' but is in reality a several thousand year old druid, he's not going to think like a mid-20s Redditor.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

WarLocke posted:

but I'm hoping it's similar to Butcher's first couple of books and just a kind of rocky start.

They never get better.

There's promise, but the author ignores it in favor of the stupid crap.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
So, on the topic of mantles... Any theories on what Jesus may have been? Scion? Mantle? Grace?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

ConfusedUs posted:

They never get better.

Ditto. I don't mind them too much, expecting how they tend to go. But it's definitely wince-worthy in plenty of places. I'd recommend the Alex Verus books by Benedict Jacka. They can get a bit angsty and drawn out in places, but they're not bad.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

ZorajitZorajit posted:

So, on the topic of mantles... Any theories on what Jesus may have been? Scion? Mantle? Grace?
Scion if you take him at his word, but who knows if he was really as trustworthy as the stories say...

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Mac. And he's out.

The carpenter being the other side of the wood would be cool.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I just realized that Skin Game yells us what Demonreach meant in Cold Days when he saw Bob and went "Another one..."

Harry's brain baby is the other one.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I've been listening to the skin game audiobook and one statement from santa stuck out to me:

"There are four oeratives who could play one role Nicodemus needs filled in his venture." "Two of them are currently under contract elsewhere and the third is presently detained/"

Could this be the man harry communicates with that is locked up in demonreach? Another naagloshi scion like Gray?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I confess I skipped a page or two of this thread but I thought the Gate of Blood was explainable!

Why didn't he use a mook? Because the Gate demanded more than just a death - it demanded your BLOOD. Aka a family member, and it could sense how the shade died. That was why it had to be Deirdre.

Alternatively, she's pretty strong and perhaps it needed a shade of a certain quality to be able to immediately manifest, cross reference that with one Nicodemus trusts and wouldn't make Harry suspicious of.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Oroborus posted:

I've been listening to the skin game audiobook and one statement from santa stuck out to me:

"There are four oeratives who could play one role Nicodemus needs filled in his venture." "Two of them are currently under contract elsewhere and the third is presently detained/"

Could this be the man harry communicates with that is locked up in demonreach? Another naagloshi scion like Gray?

My working theory is that the Goodman Gray was indeed the pissed off inmate Dresden spoke with with doing PARKOUR! in the intro. It's been mentioned by word of Jim that Harry may let them out for 'work release'

E: covering Skin Game semi-spoilers

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 19, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lord Twisted posted:

I confess I skipped a page or two of this thread but I thought the Gate of Blood was explainable!

Why didn't he use a mook? Because the Gate demanded more than just a death - it demanded your BLOOD. Aka a family member, and it could sense how the shade died. That was why it had to be Deirdre.

Alternatively, she's pretty strong and perhaps it needed a shade of a certain quality to be able to immediately manifest, cross reference that with one Nicodemus trusts and wouldn't make Harry suspicious of.

I think it probably needed a willing shade that would actually open the gate after death.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

[quote]My working theory is that the Goodman Gray was indeed the pissed off inmate Dresden spoke with with doing PARKOUR! in the intro. It's been mentioned by word of Jim that Harry may let them out for 'work release'[/spoiler]

That doesn't really fly since he was free for what's implied to be a long time before Kringle told Harry about him, certainly long enough to build up a sizable reputation doing jobs.

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

limited posted:

Ditto. I don't mind them too much, expecting how they tend to go. But it's definitely wince-worthy in plenty of places. I'd recommend the Alex Verus books by Benedict Jacka. They can get a bit angsty and drawn out in places, but they're not bad.

Having blown through the first 3 in the last week I have to agree. The Verus books are quite a bit of fun.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

It's been mentioned by word of Jim that Harry may let <Demonreach's prisoners> out for 'work release'
Remember that naagloshii are among the least evil and/or powerfull entities imprisoned there. Harry would have to be pretty darn desperate to even concider releasing a prisoner.
If it happens that will be a big, friggin deal and I reckon apocalyptic trilogy stuff.

Skin Game:

Lord Twisted posted:

The gate didn't require just a blood sacrifice, the shade of the person that died also had to stick around and pull the lever. Deirde was the only person Nicodemus trusted to do that for him.
It's why Nicodemus had to engineer a hostage situation at that gate to distract Michael, so that he wouldn't say or do something that would make Deirdre's devotion to her father falter.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 19, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I figure ultimately he will do the "consume your magical power" thing of the dark hallow to the prisoners in demo reach. He's far away so no one else will die and he destroys a bunch if evil things to boost himself/replenish the areas energy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

I figure ultimately he will do the "consume your magical power" thing of the dark hallow to the prisoners in demo reach. He's far away so no one else will die and he destroys a bunch if evil things to boost himself/replenish the areas energy

That might be how he goes out at the very, very end of the series.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

ConfusedUs posted:

Mortal is a tradeoff. Free will, but you eventually die.

Immortal creatures cannot go against their nature, duty, or role. Mab literally cannot lie. Uriel literally cannot act directly. They can choose how they go about their duties but they cannot choose not to act in their nature.

Nemesis fucks that up somehow and essentially gives free will to those who should not have it.

I'm not so sure Uriel is as restricted as that otherwise why would he need to worry about his grace falling? Lucifer made the choice I think the archangels have the choice but, the consequence is something they've experienced in their life times and have no desire to undergo themselves. Also with the gates Nick mentions that Dierdre loving him is a problem so maybe the gate of blood demands you must sacrifice someone that loved you for it to open. It makes the cost of getting into the vault that much greater and explains why a random mook couldn't be used.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm not so sure Uriel is as restricted as that otherwise why would he need to worry about his grace falling? Lucifer made the choice I think the archangels have the choice but, the consequence is something they've experienced in their life times and have no desire to undergo themselves. Also with the gates Nick mentions that Dierdre loving him is a problem so maybe the gate of blood demands you must sacrifice someone that loved you for it to open. It makes the cost of getting into the vault that much greater and explains why a random mook couldn't be used.
While there wasn't exposition on what an angel's "Grace" really means, it seems to be similar to other mantles we know about. Angels are technically capable of making a choice against their nature (as Lucifer did) but the consequence (losing their Grace) is severe and more or less permanent. Frankly Dresden is very lucky to have regained the Winter mantle after breaking Winter Law.

Uriel took a massive risk. We've seen several times how easy it is to unmake one of the swords, something tells me restoring Uriel's Grace would be all but impossible and the aftermath could be downright Apocalyptic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Taratang posted:

Frankly Dresden is very lucky to have regained the Winter mantle after breaking Winter Law.

I'm not sure Dresden ever actually did break Winter Law. He just declared an intention to break Winter Law, and he is still mortal (that being the whole point of the Knights) so still does technically have choice.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ConfusedUs posted:

They never get better.

I think something in my brain is broken, because I am on the second book and I can see how the author tries way too hard to fit in all the pop culture stuff, but I still chuckled at Atticus prepping a vampire on how to be cool while they're storming a witches coven via tossing the head of a basalt elemental through the floor/ceiling. Or his response to getting his newly-regenerated ear shot off again. Spoiled that in case anyone else is so hard-up for urban fantasy they might read this drek.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

WarLocke posted:

I think something in my brain is broken, because I am on the second book and I can see how the author tries way too hard to fit in all the pop culture stuff, but I still chuckled at Atticus prepping a vampire on how to be cool while they're storming a witches coven via tossing the head of a basalt elemental through the floor/ceiling. Or his response to getting his newly-regenerated ear shot off again. Spoiled that in case anyone else is so hard-up for urban fantasy they might read this drek.

The vampire scene was hilarious.

Thing is Atticus' schtick is funny the first time. And the second. Maybe even the third. Hell I still chuckled at Oberon in the last book a couple times.

They never get better. Like a car that runs out of gas, it eventually stops.

Eventually he starts scraping the bottom of the barrel, and it just falls flat.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Iron Druid series starts out pretty strong, but then craters in the fourth and fifth books. I mean, really craters; they are just bad books. The sixth book is an upturn in quality, and the seventh book seems to be continuing that trend, though I'm not very far in it so Hearne could still gently caress it up. The issue, though, is that Hearne dug himself into such a deep hole, quality-wise, that he's probably going to spend the remainder of the series getting back to the quality of the first two books, and that's assuming he doesn't screw up along the way.

The sad thing is that Hearne is capable of writing good stories with these characters, as demonstrated by the two novellas. I think he just gets lost with the relative freedom of space in novels; he works better when there's no room for him to bother with irritating pop culture references.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ornamented Death posted:

The Iron Druid series starts out pretty strong, but then craters in the fourth and fifth books. I mean, really craters; they are just bad books. The sixth book is an upturn in quality, and the seventh book seems to be continuing that trend, though I'm not very far in it so Hearne could still gently caress it up. The issue, though, is that Hearne dug himself into such a deep hole, quality-wise, that he's probably going to spend the remainder of the series getting back to the quality of the first two books, and that's assuming he doesn't screw up along the way.

The sad thing is that Hearne is capable of writing good stories with these characters, as demonstrated by the two novellas. I think he just gets lost with the relative freedom of space in novels; he works better when there's no room for him to bother with irritating pop culture references.

Goddamnit am I going to have to buy the most recent Iron Druid book? I felt #6 was getting better after the awfulness that was #4 and #5, but not good enough to buy another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ConfusedUs posted:

Goddamnit am I going to have to buy the most recent Iron Druid book? I felt #6 was getting better after the awfulness that was #4 and #5, but not good enough to buy another.

Well like I said, I'm not very far in, but nothing in the first 50 pages has made me cringe. He's even toned down Granuaile's voice, which I thought was purple to the point of being painful to read in the last book.